• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

PAP Leadership Crisis

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The reliance on technocrats and the ability of these technocrats to create jobs, aim for full employment and keep the GDP going were the primary features. It did seem to work. My sense is that the son is just a poor leader and things are falling apart. Ever heard of a leader that disappears when there is a crisis on.

Dear Scroo,

Why would a PAP system in all its glory not select or call forth people like Paul T and the rest. People with credentials and or a social conscience. ? I believe that what a politician says in public and what a politician says in private are two differing things, but for some reason pre GE 2011, the competition amongst the ministers was a race to be who could be more hard core. Callous remarks abounded from KBW to VB, RL ignored the concerns of public transport, flooding was ponding, overcrowding was normal. We all saw a change in tune after 2011 and after the apology from the PM but who set the tune prior to 2011, who was calling the shots ?

The establishment live in a different zone from the rest of Singapore. Paying them well is one thing but finding people living from a different planet is another. Being rich but having a social and political conscience. ? A sense of duty , a sense of service, they do exist even within the establishment, but they will be smart enough to know when your values and theirs align or when and where u will be expected to align your values with theirs.

An out of touch leadership, a vanishing PM or an aloof PM. a grassroots which tells the leadership what they seek to hear all tied to a dated strategy, a dated ideology and an ideologue in the cabinet still defying change and modernity, such are the makings of an absolute disaster.

Locke

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, you may be right. Though the local and international press still think that BN will win, my contacts tell me that Anwar has more than a fighting chance.

Brother Scroobal,I am only looking forward to the night when Mr Anwar (a Gay who likes to fuck backside apart from his wife who produced 4 kids for him,according to MM Lee) is declared the new PM of Malaysia because it is going to happen real soon,I am happy that I can see MM Lee talking when a Gay claimed by him is made the PM of his big brother,LOL,
1) Presidential Elections & 2) Cabinet Level Leadership Crisis,KIV as PM Lee is a real slow worker,I bet it would be done few months before 2016

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
You might be on to something here. It can just be an extension of the NMP scheme. To avoid the wrath of the people, they might pick someone respected by all sides . Lets see how it goes.

If PAP could invent absurd schemes like vetted presidency candidates, NCMP, nominated MP, I don't see what stopping them from introducing 'Nominated Minister' scheme. If PAP continues to lose more ministers and MOS, joining politics will no longer be seen by potential candidates as an extension of their civil service career. PAP might need to consider having nominated minister in-order to attract people to join the party without fear of losing election. But perhaps what holding the PAP back is it might backfire on the party as it will further encourage electorates to vote oppositions without the fear of undermining the cabinet.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am not sure it will go to that extent. If that happens, their MPs will be trashed at the polls as they will be deemed as usual and would serve no purpose.

I however do worry about the old man's thoughts on increased votes power for selected parts of society. That would serve the same purpose as gerrymandering. I remember when he mentioned it, a chill went down my spine. What a bastard!

I think we shld resist this absolutely. In no time, they will go on and justify and legitimise a mandarinate to rule over an administrative state, so as to bypass all election and populist encumberances. Old man had thought along these lines including giving more voting powers (e.g. two votes to businessmen and elites). This will be the surest way to totally entrench the PAP as the government of the day, and after a time, they will seek to abolish elections since there is no further need for them to choose leaders. Maybe they will have an executive President who will give his nod to such an admin elite, much like the Thai king does. Then, we will really be in deeper shit, with no alternatives that do not kiss ass.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Maybe not with the present absentee PM and the motley crew. There is no great communicator like the Old man to push it thru, thank God. If they ever embark on it, they may not do that when the electoral system is still on. they may get the populace to accept a nomination system and from an entrenched position with all the incumbent advantage, then secretly give away benefits and official positions to businessmen, and elite connections who are card-carrying Party members, in return for support, much like the Nazi party during the Third Reich.

I am not sure it will go to that extent. If that happens, their MPs will be trashed at the polls as they will be deemed as usual and would serve no purpose.

Last edited:

kukubird58

Alfrescian
Loyal
When Little Speck wrote the recent article on leadership, I thought there must be something going on and it seems that is indeed the case.

2 issues facing the PAP.

1) Presidential Elections - not going according to plan and it now used as a mechanism by voters to register protest votes and the office has been seriously undermined. It is very unlikely that potential candidates with good background are prepared to humiliate themselves when the actual target is the PAP. Despite using the entire machinery on a unprecedented scale to mobilise, unions, employer federations, clans, chambers of commerce, TT only garnered a miserable 34%. And only because of TJS, he got in.
hahaha...lumber1 PLP has reported in.....must also report in to show my supports....
my idol has gone off the boil and is making a fool of himself each day with his shallow and naive analysis....

PE 2011 was a sham and he swallowed it hook, line and sinker....
All 4 candidates have been linked with papee for a long time....and many were surprised thay could get the certificate to stand in the first place.......
TCB was a long time papeeMP and cadre member and suddenly in PE2011, he was protrayed as anti-establishment/papee....
u are a real idiot to think that TCB would have given papee a hard time had he been elected.....

Last edited:

jw5

Loyal

I however do worry about the old man's thoughts on increased votes power for selected parts of society. That would serve the same purpose as gerrymandering. I remember when he mentioned it, a chill went down my spine. What a bastard!

Scroobal, You are the bastard with many similar traits.

You are such a cunning and manipulative snake that you started this thread a few weeks before GE 2011 to try and sabotage the opposition campaign.
When it is not during election time, you will post little irrelevant jabs at the pap, hoping that it would make you appear to be for the people and the opposition but against the pap. Only the simple minded will be taken in by you.

http://singsupplies.com/showthread.php?89550-The-Chen-Show-Mao-Affair

kukubird58

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, you may be right. Though the local and international press still think that BN will win, my contacts tell me that Anwar has more than a fighting chance.
hahaha....scroobal, u really have a thick hide and true to your colours....
u must add in "my contacts" to boast that u have contacts......
honestly.....i have not cum across another person with a thicker hide.....
seems like u are only left with 2 PLPs....the king and kukubird......lol.

kukubird58

Alfrescian
Loyal
1) Presidential Elections - not going according to plan and it now used as a mechanism by voters to register protest votes and the office has been seriously undermined. It is very unlikely that potential candidates with good background are prepared to humiliate themselves when the actual target is the PAP. Despite using the entire machinery on a unprecedented scale to mobilise, unions, employer federations, clans, chambers of commerce, TT only garnered a miserable 34%. And only because of TJS, he got in.
hahaha...just to elaborate on what a idot u are...the writings were already on the walls in 1993 and u think it was some new phenomena.
In 1993, Former Deputy Prime Minister Ong Teng Cheong defeated former Accountant-General Chua Kim Yeow, with a vote share of 58.69% to 41.31%.
Chua was an unknown to most pple....did not campaign at all.....and yet garner more than 40%.

Hawkeye1819

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Maybe not with the present absentee PM and the motley crew. There is no great communicator like the Old man to push it thru, thank God. If they ever embark on it, they may not do that when the electoral system is still on. they may get the populace to accept a nomination system and from an entrenched position with all the incumbent advantage, then secretly give away benefits and official positions to businessmen, and elite connections who are card-carrying Party members, in return for support, much like the Nazi party during the Third Reich.

No extreme measures will be implemented in the Son's era. He does not have the leadership nor the stomach nor the intelligence for that. Incrementally, we might see a move to liberalize the political field and have some form of proportional representation which will appease the voters by giving them a few more opposition members. Meanwhile the PAP will continue to scrape the bottom of the barrel in search of ministerial talent and the next few years will be very punishing because they will continue to face increased problems in the recruitment front.

I also suspect that whatever liberaliztion occurs will be designed to benefit WP and NSP, the two largest parties.

Hawkeye1819

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

The old man floated the idea in 1991 and did not pass muster. The son will not do anything drastic. He has neither the courage nor the leadership nor the intelligence for anything of that sort.

Hawkeye1819

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
bro,
his honors degree not fake one, right?

His honors degree is not fake. His intelligence is suspect or I think it has eroded over the years because of his sheltered lifestyle. I think Tracy said he would be better off as an academic.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think you are right. I am not sure even if he wants to lead. Seems to have lost heart.

No extreme measures will be implemented in the Son's era. He does not have the leadership nor the stomach nor the intelligence for that. Incrementally, we might see a move to liberalize the political field and have some form of proportional representation which will appease the voters by giving them a few more opposition members. Meanwhile the PAP will continue to scrape the bottom of the barrel in search of ministerial talent and the next few years will be very punishing because they will continue to face increased problems in the recruitment front.

I also suspect that whatever liberaliztion occurs will be designed to benefit WP and NSP, the two largest parties.

metalmickey

Alfrescian
Loyal
If wages in sinkapore rise in tandem with rise in asset, affordability would not be an issue. Price of new HDB flat were artificially jacked up when they tied its price to resale HDB flat.

This is true. But this is also an issue worldwide. Housing prices have risen much faster relative to wages in most of the developed world. Only that it's been a more severe problem in Singapore than elsewhere.

The problem is that the rest of the world had screwed up economic policies and PAP decided to copy these policies.

metalmickey

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think you are right. I am not sure even if he wants to lead. Seems to have lost heart.

That's a little strange. The post GE2011 seems more like a consolidation of power for LHL. He got LKY and GCT out of the way and now there is nobody else but him. IT's a really bad time for him to be losing heart.

There will be one more round of national conversation. In a way this national conversation is a good smokescreen because whether or not you like the PAP you have to admit that there is no such thing as just one round of national conversation, because it takes a while for the ship to turn round. So either this is a genuine effort at change - which will take some time because everybody here knows it's very hard for the PAP to change. Or it is a smokescreen in which case LHL would have bought himself some time. Or when things screw up they can always say "well we tried something - didn't work.

metalmickey

Alfrescian
Loyal
His honors degree is not fake. His intelligence is suspect or I think it has eroded over the years because of his sheltered lifestyle. I think Tracy said he would be better off as an academic.

I would instead say that he has intelligence but not courage or heart. So different from his father who has all three.

No extreme measures will be implemented in the Son's era. He does not have the leadership nor the stomach nor the intelligence for that. Incrementally, we might see a move to liberalize the political field and have some form of proportional representation which will appease the voters by giving them a few more opposition members.

It's hard and rather extreme to convert to proportional representation. The PAP will not want to do that, ever. The thing about first past the post system is that an entrenched party can lose one election, and still gain it back after 1 cycle. Then you'd be like a place like Taiwan or Japan where the main party has lost an election before, but you still cannot call it a two party system because the other party is not as strong as the main party.

Whereas in a proportional system, you will give away power permanently.

metalmickey

Alfrescian
Loyal
they may get the populace to accept a nomination system and from an entrenched position with all the incumbent advantage, then secretly give away benefits and official positions to businessmen, and elite connections who are card-carrying Party members, in return for support, much like the Nazi party during the Third Reich.

I'm sure that PAP is in some way sleeping with the business community of Singapore already.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
No doubt it is. Have you ever seen MPs with fingers in evry pie? Look at Yeo guat Kuang's resume, how many directorships and chairs he has? What is his intention if not to give the impression that he can help open doors? What is the intention of those businesses and associations who invite him onboard if not to use his leverage? And the amusing thing is he thinks it's something to be proud of. Scary.

I'm sure that PAP is in some way sleeping with the business community of Singapore already.

Last edited:

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
That's a little strange. The post GE2011 seems more like a consolidation of power for LHL. He got LKY and GCT out of the way and now there is nobody else but him. IT's a really bad time for him to be losing heart.

a test of loyalty for the minions when the old man is truly gone, perhaps? :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: