• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Ong Ye Kung - On Democracy

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: One Ye Kung - On Democracy

It boggles the mind who is his intended audience will comments like that. He obviously has no idea about our history and your quotes clearly points to that.

As for Sumiko Tan, when she agreed to service a previous Comissioner of Police, the dye was cast. She was rewarded with access to confidential investigation papers to write a book. She obviously knows what she has to do and has no qualms about it. By the way, no other journalist or anyone outside the legal and Police service have before and since have had access to the papers. The CP was thinking with his dick because there are personal details as well confidential matters that are in there which even the courts have no access.

"Pingtjin Thum: "A regrettable and shocking ignorance of Singapore's history. We WERE a multi-party democracy in 1965. In 1963 General Election, the PAP won 37 seats and 46.9% of the vote; the Barisan Sosialis won 13 seats and 33.2% of the vote; and the United People's Party won 1 seat and 8.4% of the vote. Between 1966-67, arrests, detentions, and resignations steadily reduced the opposition presence in Parliament, leading to the first PAP sweep of Parliament in the 1968 elections. If not for multi-party democracy, Singaporeans would not have had the opportunity to elect the great first generation of PAP leaders in 1959; and as Lee Kuan Yew himself admitted in his autobiography, the PAP left-wing (who subsequently became the opposition Barisan Sosialis) forced his team to raise their game and to hold themselves to a higher moral and professional standard. Our success is founded in our period of vigorous multi-party democracy in 1955-65."

Only PAP can rule S’pore forever

No other party, period.
pap-rule-singapore-forever
Singaporeans from all walks of life, who recognise power is a form of aphrodisiac, are nodding in agreement.
This after they agree that only the PAP can rule Singapore forever and any talk of a two-party or multi-party system will lead to the ultimate destruction of Singapore.
One Singaporean, Jin Gong Ping, said: “PAP is a pluralistic political party.”
“They are doing a great job representing the diverse segments of Singaporean society and presenting all sides of the argument.”
“I can see that clearly when they have six Chinese men vying to be the next prime minister. Very diverse and egalitarian.”
Other locals said the PAP is all about putting Singaporeans first.
Another local, Fang Qian Mian, said: “PAP is a political party that will be there for you, always.”
“One moment can be Son of Punggol, next moment can be Son of Ang Mo Kio.”
“It’s like they are omnipresent.”
Still more locals concur the PAP is raising the stakes of the competition.
Another local, Fan Dui Dang, said: “They will say, anyone who is willing and able, can challenge their incumbency.”
“But that is true as long as you’re not the Workers’ Party.”
“You can always go far in Singapore serving the PAP’s interest, which coincidentally also happens to be Singapore’s interest.”
“A two-party or multi-party arrangement will result in the death and destruction of everything in this country.”

http://newnation.sg/2017/01/only-pap-can-rule-spore-forever/

Lunch with Sumiko interview marks official end of journalism

"Singaporeans from all walks of life, who are standing hunched over slightly with one hand over their heart as they wipe away tears of regret from their eyes, are waving goodbye to journalism.
This after they read the first Lunch with Sumiko interview in The Straits Times.
One Singaporean, Song Kah, said: “This marks the official death of journalism.”
“It is a sad day for democracy and this storied, noblest of noble vocation.”
“Humanity’s slow march towards civilisation has officially come to a screeching halt.”
Other locals said even though journalism is now dead, this is not the worst thing.
Another local, Qu Ni Mah, said: “The end of an era in journalism is already upon us and we thought looking into the future will provide some respite as we long to see some silver lining.”
“Turns out Lunch With Sumiko is slated to carry on with another edition, and another, and another.”
“Death to us all, please.”

http://newnation.sg/2017/01/lunch-with-sumiko-interview-marks-official-end-of-journalism/

Victory2016

Alfrescian
Loyal

sembawang_grc_ong_ye_kung_0.jpg

Does Ong YK look like CP Goh Yong Hong?

20150411_GohYongHong2_STspf.jpg

batman1

Alfrescian
Loyal

As the son of ex-BS MP,if he has any iota of shame and righteousness,he should hara-kiri himself to show repentance.
Having tasted some power,now he wants to be absolute ruler forever to lord over the sinkee slaves.
This shows the true colour of an upcoming dictator monster.

Victory2016

Alfrescian
Loyal

Even if he truly does not believe in a multi-party system, he should not have exposed his deepest thoughts. He has low EQ and does not know how to lie as a politician should. Even communist countries described themselves as "Democratic Peoples' Republics".

He puts the PAP in bad light by exposing the true thoughts of these selfish politicians.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Is he saying that should the Opposition win the GE and become the majority party, the PAP is going to roll over and die?

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ya, I have the same repulsion too.

Every time I look at his photo, or an article about him,
I do not feel good, because he appears to be "two face" or "double headed"

Unable to stand his "looks"

May be, he should have been a candidate for Aljuneid a second time.

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Democratic People's Republic of Korea -do you believe its a democratic country?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
PM trusts him to run shortgun on a number of issues including the Bukit Batok Chinese Temple / David Ong affair. But the guy is not a people person. He asked to come out of NTUC. Everything he does is contrived. In 2011, he organised for the press to interview after a game of football with young malay boys in an orphanage. That was the one and only time he played football with them. He struck me as hypocrite and a fraud.

His people have been known to approach organisations in the think tank space to invite him as speaker but many do not rate him at all. Ho Kwon Ping is very much sought after in this space.

gatehousethetinkertailor

Alfrescian
Loyal
There is that same theme running throughout this conference - it is never the fault of the rulers (who are the bestest ever and because they are the bestest ever they only ever pick the bestest) - it is the fault of the voting populace for mischaracterising their "stumbles". I have yet to encounter any political system where politicians and academics conspire to ridicule their populace in such terms.

https://www.ipscommons.sg/exceptional-government-to-sustain-a-nation-once-thought-improbable/

Exceptional Government to Sustain a Nation Once Thought Improbable

Jan 23, 2017 at 5:06 pm

By Janadas Devan

The theme of this year’s conference — What If? — is designed to set us thinking of possibilities, or perhaps impossibilities: What might be, what might have been, what could be. But before we consider these possibilities, it might be instructive to locate what is – what has always been, what should not change, what shall always be.

Is there a permanent substratum to our existence as a nation-state that will persist no matter what else changes?

I would suggest that there is — and it would be foolish of us to ignore it.

Things and actions are what they are, and their consequences will be what they will be: Why then should we seek to be deceived?

First, we cannot deceive ourselves about our geography, our location: This is a small island — mostly hard granite — in the middle of Southeast Asia: not Europe, not off the coasts of the Americas, not next to Antarctica.

This is one of the most religiously diverse regions in the world, with almost half of us Muslim and the rest a rich polyglot of Buddhist, Christian, Hindu, Taoist, Confucian, diverse folk religionists, and goodness knows what else.

This religious diversity is accompanied by staggering cultural, ethnic, political and historical diversities.

For the dense forests of the region, its ubiquitous waterways, made difficult the emergence of vast, unifying empires of the sort that came into being in the great plains and river systems of the Eurasian landmass. It is possible thus to speak of a European or Chinese or Indian civilisation; not so a Southeast Asian civilisation.

This region has always been a borderland — always diverse, always in-between, always at the cross-roads of other vast civilisations — as some of the geographical terms that persist to this day indicate: Indo-nesia, Indo-China.

As an aside, I might remark that Sir Stamford Raffles did not found here for the first time an open port; he came to Singapore because it was right smack in the middle of a borderland region that was, by definition almost, always already open.

That porosity also ensured Southeast Asia’s encounters with modernity differed dramatically from country to country. Six European powers colonised various parts of this region at different times — the Portuguese, the Dutch, the British, the French, the American, the Spanish; not forgetting the brutal Japanese interregnum.

And as each of these metropolitan empires receded, they left behind a multiplicity of political, legal and educational systems. Our different modernities accentuated the diversities that were already endemic in this borderland.

And the diversity of our region is replicated too in our own diversity; the diversity without mirrored in the diversity within. That is the other thing that will persist no matter what else changes. I need not dwell on this, for we are accustomed to acknowledging almost every day our racial, linguistic and religious diversities. I’d only add that though we have travelled far these past five decades to become “one united people, regardless of race, language or religion,” there are new diversities that we have to deal with — among other things, diversities arising from immigration and the diversities arising from income inequality.

I’ll spend the rest of my opening remarks dwelling on something else that will persist no matter what else changes — or to be more precise, what I think (and hope) will persist: Namely, the fact that Singapore is a country as well as a city. We don’t always keep this foremost in our minds — we forget — but Singapore is a city that happens also to be a country; a country that has no country — as in “country-side” — outside the city. Or to put it differently, there is no country beyond this city; this city is all the country that we have.

I’m sure all of you have encountered the puzzlement of immigration officers in foreign countries when you write two or more times “Singapore” to specify the city, state and country of your birth or address or embarkation. Singapore, Singapore, Singapore — like a needle on a broken record stuck on the same groove. But despite the repetition, I’m not sure we are fully conscious of what it means to have a country that encompasses no more than its only city. Actually, the fact that this city is all the country that we will have informs every facet of our existence.

Let me try to illustrate this as economically as I can:

One, Singapore is the only city in the world that has a military and a foreign service too. London doesn’t have a Navy; we do. Tokyo doesn’t have an Air Force; we do. Shanghai doesn’t have an Army or Armoured Personnel Carriers, for that matter; we do.

Two, all of Singapore’s gateways — its port, its airport — have to be located within the city. You can’t put Changi Airport, for instance, somewhere out in the boondocks, a couple or so hours outside the city — like Narita or Dulles or Suvarnabhumi or Heathrow or KLIA — for the simple reason Singapore doesn’t have a boondock. You disembark at our gateways and you’re already within the city; not so much as a drawbridge or a moat separates the city walls from the outside.

Three, unusual among global cities, Singapore has a sizeable manufacturing base — almost 20 per cent of our GDP. There are a number of reasons why this should be so but one is because we are a city as well as a country. If we were to have a purely service economy — like London or New York or other global cities, with high-paying jobs in finance and banking at one end and low-paying jobs flipping hamburgers and providing in-situ services at the other — our income inequalities would be far worse. Indeed, our Gini coefficient is already high — but compared to other countries. When compared to other global cities, we are considerably better off — in large part because we have a substantial manufacturing base providing a range of jobs in the middle.

Now, guess how much land — physical space — do these three activities, which this city has to undertake because it is also a country, occupy: Military (for training, airbases, naval bases); Gateways (airport, port); Manufacturing?

Whenever I ask this question of students or civil servants, the guesses vary from 15% to 25%. The correct answer is 42-43%. That’s right, just a little less than half of this not considerable little red dot — and I’ve not included the land that we have to devote to water reservoirs (5%), housing (17%), roads and rail (13%), parks and nature reserves (9%), and all the other accoutrements of civilised existence.

You see, Singapore is a most unlikely country. There is no other city of this size in the world that is also a country. That is why our founding fathers, every one of them, began their political lives believing Singapore, a city, couldn’t survive on its own, that it had to be joined to a hinterland, Malaya; and believing that, they fought for Merger, only to be ejected from Malaysia after less than two years, to become a country with no country-side, a city-state with no hinterland. That Singapore should exist — as a city and a country — is a miracle.

“What if?”, this conference asks, imagining a series of possibilities: What if the nation-state is no longer the key organising unit of the world? What if globalisation fails? What if Singapore fails to sustain itself as a vibrant, cosmopolitan “global city”?

In a way, we are being invited to imagine what if the conditions of Singapore’s existence — as of now — no longer prevail. But actually the fact that we exist is in itself proof the impossible is possible.

What does it take to sustain this miracle — this impossibility? Let me rehearse a few factors, none of which should come as a surprise, but they are worth rehearsing in any case to ground our speculations:

One, as suggested by how just three functions we undertake because we are both a city and a country occupy so much space, this place has to be an exceptionally and intricately well-organised organism — or it doesn’t exist at all.

Two, Singapore cannot be exceptional without having an exceptional government — an exceptional government that can plan decades ahead, take long-term decisions, and sustain purposeful action over long stretches of time.

You can’t get a Marina Bay without such planning. You can’t convert almost the entire island into a water catchment area without the capacity for sustained long term action. You can’t keep this miraculous organism — a country in a city — alive without such a government.

We saw some years ago what happens when the government’s capacity to plan ahead falters: the trains become crowded, the waiting times for new flats stretched for years, there were not enough hospital beds. Actually, when compared to failures of governance elsewhere, these were stumbles. But the ruling party paid a price nevertheless in the 2011 General Election, and many (including not a few baffled foreigners) said Singaporeans were an exceptionally spoilt people.

On the contrary, I think Singaporeans were correct to expect their government to always be exceptional. Forget about high ministerial salaries and transactional politics: Singapore cannot exist without exceptional government. You cannot have laissez-faire government in Singapore, let alone second-rate government. Laissez-faire would have meant staying in Malaysia. Singaporeans should always expect the best of their government — which ultimately means they must expect the best of themselves.

Which leads me to my final point: Singapore cannot have exceptional government unless Singaporeans too are exceptional. This might sound an awfully cloying cliché but it happens to be true. If ever we become so idiotic as to elect buffoons into office; if ever our politics became so toxic as to allow nativist, neo-fascist, populists into power; we are unlikely to have a second chance, a redo; we would be finished.

This has nothing to do with one-party dominant or two-party systems
— the subject of our last session today. It is a given, I believe, our politics will become more contested – for the simple reason our society is diverse, the challenges and issues we face are complex, and an increasingly better educated population open to the world are bound to have different views on public policy. All that is well and good.

The challenge is maintaining exceptional government — capable of that sustained, long-term planning and action without which this city cannot be a country — even as our people become more diverse and our politics more contested. Can that be done?

Not easy.

Things and actions are what they are, and their consequences will be what they will be: Why then should we seek to be deceived?

But don’t forget: Most people elsewhere in other countries saw things as they were, and wondered “Why?” But the 1965 generation of Singaporeans dreamt things that never were, and said: “Why not?”

What if?

Well, why not?

Janadas Devan is the Director of the Institute of Policy Studies. These were his opening remarks at the Singapore Perspectives 2017 conference.

Last edited:

gatehousethetinkertailor

Alfrescian
Loyal
The saving grace of this conference...

Loss of Confidence in PAP? Possible, If Complacency Sets In https://www.ipscommons.sg/loss-of-confidence-in-pap-possible-if-complacency-sets-in/
Jan 25, 2017

By Ho Kwon Ping

The critical question facing Singapore in 2065 is not simply whether an accidental freak election or a sustainable pendulum democracy should or might occur. It is about whether the social contract between elite governance and the body politic can become so strained and frayed that a crisis of political legitimacy may thrust unexpected, extremist scenarios – ranging from rule by a military-dominated junta to unstable coalition governments – to become a reality.

In other words, what might happen to get us from where we are now, a bastion of political stability, to the uncertainties now plaguing the rest of the world?

Let me ask and then answer three further questions in pursuit of this issue. First, what events could lead to a massive loss of legitimacy or confidence in the People’s Action Party (PAP) or the current political system?

Second, what are the chances of these events happening?

Third, is a two-party pendulum democracy a likely, stable and sustainable option? Alternatively, what might realistically evolve instead, in the specific Singapore context?

Let me address the first question in a circumspect manner, by alluding to other Asian democracies. The closest, though imperfect, parallels are India and Taiwan. In both places, the founding party – the Indian National Congress and the Kuomintang (KMT) – were led by charismatic leaders, Jawaharlal Nehru and Chiang Kai-shek, who were worlds apart both in their personalities as well as in their party structures, but possessed, as founding fathers, an unquestioned legitimacy. After their passing, their offspring – Indira Gandhi and Chiang Ching-kuo -succeeded them (albeit with brief interludes in India) but after them, both the party leadership and party itself started to decline.

Three identical things happened in both parties:

First, nepotism prevented the rise of younger, meritocratic elites vying within the party for ascendancy, resulting in sycophants all clustering around the dynastic heirs, like in some archaic monarchy.

Second, the values, policies and solutions which led the founding party to success became sacrosanct: sacred cows which could not be questioned even when their relevance started to wane. A sense of political complacency settled like fine dust over even the internal insurgents and overcame any impetus towards change.

Third, a culture of entitlement led to endemic corruption both political and financial, the final blow in an inexorable decline of legitimacy.

Should that fate, which has befallen almost all founding parties in electoral democracies over time, affect the PAP in the coming decades, we have the scenario for disruptive change.

The second question is: How likely is this to happen?

The short answer is: Not very likely (I hope) in the next quarter-century, or around 20 to 25 years. Beyond that, no one knows.

Why 20 years? (Perhaps too optimistic for some and too pessimistic for others.) I chose this time span because I assume that under our present system, even when Mr Lee Hsien Loong retires, he will assume the mantle of senior minister or minister mentor, and his cohort of leaders will remain like tribal elders to guide successive leadership teams not so much in policymaking but in the preservation of the political values, self-discipline and vision which congeal into a lasting political culture.

History has shown that the values of a founding political culture can usually be transmitted with vigour down three to four generations. Beyond that, complacency and entitlement usually overwhelm the messianic urgency and self-discipline found in pioneer values. One can only hope that future PAP leaders, after our current leadership has long passed from the scene, can learn from history.

They will have a few advantages, not least being that as a young nation, with a new political culture of anti-corruption, meritocracy and multiculturalism, they will not have to battle the centuries of deep divisions which afflicted, say, Indian civilisation.

But as Sri Lanka’s civil war has shown, a relatively short period of self-serving political opportunism and populism can spiral out of control rapidly. And who is to say, from what we have already seen with the descent into opportunism in even mature, developed European and American societies, that our future leaders will be so self- disciplined as to eschew even a shred of self-interest, especially if their popularity starts to wane?

As for nepotism, there are no current signs of this happening with a Lee dynasty clinging to power or promoting only its relatives.
Anti-corruption has now become not just government policy but a fundamental value of our people. And the Government has shown signs that even sacred-cow policies can be re-examined if they are no longer relevant.

And so I remain, using that clichéd phrase, cautiously optimistic.

The third and possibly most intriguing question is whether the scenario leading towards pendulum democracy in Singapore is the most desirable and likely long-term outcome. And if not, what are the alternatives?

Here we have a conundrum. History has generally shown, despite recent events in the West, that a pendulum democracy offers a more sustainable, dynamic equilibrium than a single-party dominant system which has no competition and falls into complacent entitlement.

On the other hand, to move from the generally well-governed stability of our current single-party dominant system to a pendulum democracy implies that a massive loss of legitimacy by the ruling party has to first occur. That is not necessarily desirable, and of course not even likely, given the current robustness of the PAP and the weakness of the opposition parties.

The danger of a single-party dominant system is political ossification over time, as the sense of entitlement encourages the nepotism, complacency and corruption which inevitably leads to the demise – and eventual re-emergence, of course – of even the most idealistic founding parties.

Therefore, one viable alternative is to institutionalise internal policy competition and deepen internal democracy within the PAP, beyond just secret elections to a central committee or politburo.

By itself, however, internal party competition cannot assure that a political elite will remain relevant to the needs of a changing population… Civil society must be further empowered as a partner to strengthen the social contract, and also as a check against inept or corrupt governance.

Access to information enables the public to robustly debate and articulate ground-up responses to the pressing societal issues of today. An information-rich society is all the more important since we’ve seen, in the recent US presidential elections, how social media can easily distort facts and even manufacture dis-information.

Ho Kwon Ping was the Institute of Policy Studies’ S R Nathan Fellow for the Study of Singapore in the 2014/15 academic year, and his five IPS-Nathan Lectures on policy issues have been compiled into a book titled The Ocean in A Drop – Singapore: the Next Fifty Years.

This piece first appeared in The Straits Times on 25 January 2017, and was excerpted from a speech Mr Ho delivered at Singapore Perspectives 2017.

batman1

Alfrescian
Loyal
One son of ex-president exiled in Canada and one ex-ISD detainee.Now both pro-establishment figures in exchange for career,status and reward.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks for sharing bro. Both the sons of connected fathers. One went left and the other right.

When Janadas Devan lost his job in the States, he came to Singapore and remained jobless. He approached Arthur Lim and Arthur gave him a paid writing assignment out of pity. Finally the establishment also out of pity for his mother asked SPH to take him. He went back to the States and wrote articles much of it verbose and bombastic and mostly about America. I think he came to the point that he was prepared to do anything to have a good life like Sumiko and the disgusting Pasir Panjang sisters. It was sad.

Sadly we also have JB's son who now sits on the board of Surbana and has done nothing for the those sacked without due process.

We must pray that despite the many temptations we must never ever end up in their positions

Loss of Confidence in PAP? Possible, If Complacency Sets In https://www.ipscommons.sg/loss-of-confidence-in-pap-possible-if-complacency-sets-in/
Jan 25, 2017

By Ho Kwon Ping

The critical question facing Singapore in 2065 is not simply whether an accidental freak election or a sustainable pendulum democracy should or might occur. It is about whether the social contract between elite governance and the body politic can become so strained and frayed that a crisis of political legitimacy may thrust unexpected, extremist scenarios – ranging from rule by a military-dominated junta to unstable coalition governments – to become a reality.

I

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Very profound and very true.

Jan 25, 2017

By Ho Kwon Ping

The danger of a single-party dominant system is political ossification over time, as the sense of entitlement encourages the nepotism, complacency and corruption which inevitably leads to the demise – and eventual re-emergence, of course – of even the most idealistic founding parties.

Therefore, one viable alternative is to institutionalise internal policy competition and deepen internal democracy within the PAP, beyond just secret elections to a central committee or politburo..........................................................................................................................................................

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
PM trusts him to run shortgun on a number of issues including the Bukit Batok Chinese Temple / David Ong affair. But the guy is not a people person. He asked to come out of NTUC. Everything he does is contrived. In 2011, he organised for the press to interview after a game of football with young malay boys in an orphanage. That was the one and only time he played football with them. He struck me as hypocrite and a fraud.

His people have been known to approach organisations in the think tank space to invite him as speaker but many do not rate him at all. Ho Kwon Ping is very much sought after in this space.

Played soccer with the young Malay boys once, and may appear to project an image that he does it often or on a regular basis.
Very similar to the way he claimed "credit" in "I distributed 2,000 mandarin oranges".
His actions and speeches truly reflect his team spirit or lack thereof, and his desire to claim credit.
God, hear our prayers that this gentleman does not become the PM of Singapore.

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks for sharing bro. Both the sons of connected fathers. One went left and the other right.

When Janadas Devan lost his job in the States, he came to Singapore and remained jobless. He approached Arthur Lim and Arthur gave him a paid writing assignment out of pity. Finally the establishment also out of pity for his mother asked SPH to take him. He went back to the States and wrote articles much of it verbose and bombastic and mostly about America. I think he came to the point that he was prepared to do anything to have a good life like Sumiko and the disgusting Pasir Panjang sisters. It was sad.

Sadly we also have JB's son who now sits on the board of Surbana and has done nothing for the those sacked without due process.

We must pray that despite the many temptations we must never ever end up in their positions

I pray my big payday will come sooner rather than later.

gatehousethetinkertailor

Alfrescian
Loyal
It has been said before - these "bestest" can only ever rule over and govern a compliant population on a tiny island that have happily traded any notion of basic rights for economic well-being (I am not referring to "human" rights but rather the social compact between citizen and politician). The population is complicit in the entrenchment of this strain of political control and in fact encourage them by jumping at the opportunity to have their photo taken receiving oranges. The usual counter-point is that look at how peaceful we are as a consequence. Just because you favour engaging in debate and challenging their notions of what should be done you are deemed to be an upstart or troublemaker seeking to tear the social fabric they have woven with their "founding fathers" narrative.

There is really no hope for this country from a political perspective for alternatives because they will continue to bludgeon anyone not from within their fold. And nobody wants to rock that boat anymore. When you have the likes of Bilahari (a self-declared sage from an old school of MFA) similarly berating any alternative perspectives yet swallowing his own tongue when his masters fumble that just illustrates the complicit nature of the system. The mindset and culture is somewhat akin to a banana republic regardless of how many times the kids are the "bestest" in the world for exam passing. Information regurgitation is not masterful knowledge. General knowledge amongst the "educated classes" is shockingly poor and the ability to articulate well and forcefully died by the early 1980s (remember those RSMs at the parade grounds with cut glass enunciation - they don't exist anymore and there are very few Singkies who can speak like that). At the UN. the other countries are quite happy to let the Singapore's MFA bees do any kind of heavy lifting drafting whenever they are in session because we are always eager to demonstrate how diligent and masterful we are at machinations. In the grand scheme of things, Egypt and Nigeria is much more significant on the global stage.

It is really an "ownself check ownself" mindset that has corrupted them as they genuinely believe it is the "bestest" system. It is 2017 and Darryl David is an MP - would it be a surprise to anyone if in his mind he believes he has the potential for Ministerial calibre* (if Amrin Amri can make it).

Nobody else really matters.

And in reality they themselves don't really matter outside Singapore.

*From DD's FB post dated 15 Jan 2017:

"4 cities and 6 flights in 7 days - this has certainly been one of the most hectic trips I've been on! It was a privilege traveling as part of the President's delegation as this trip not only helped to maintain and strengthen relationships, but it also laid the foundation for future economic opportunities and collaborations. Here's to many more years of friendship to come between Singapore, Cambodia and Laos! "

Last edited:

gatehousethetinkertailor

Alfrescian
Loyal
Very similar to the way he claimed "credit" in "I distributed 2,000 mandarin oranges".

Charlie you've understated his finesse for detail - he stated that "With the help of volunteers, I distributed 2,112 oranges to residents yesterday morning and exchanged 1,056 Lunar New Year greetings. Very good morning work out!"

Here is a man salivating for the big role counting oranges and greetings. Can you imagine a politician walking down Yonge Street and then giving the same stats to The Star newspaper expecting commendation for his efforts?

He also latched on HKP's credentials:

Yesterday at 09:09 ·
The People's Action Party must stay clean, be as inclusive a party as possible, and have its policies and activities rooted on the ground.
This was a key point I made at the IPS Singapore Perspectives 2017 conference yesterday. With my fellow panelist Mr Ho Kwon Ping and moderator Debra Soon, we had an interesting discussion on the possibility of Singapore becoming a two or multi-party system in 2065.
Kwon Ping, also raised very interesting points on how the PAP can reinvent itself for the future, by formalizing some internal contest such as policy competition.
While we cannot predict the future, what is important is that we are on a collective journey, as a people and as a country, to improve our lives.

Last edited:

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Charlie you've understated his finesse for detail - he stated that "With the help of volunteers, I distributed 2,112 oranges to residents yesterday morning and exchanged 1,056 Lunar New Year greetings. Very good morning work out!"

Here is a man salivating for the big role counting oranges and greetings. Can you imagine a politician walking down Yonge Street and then giving the same stats to The Star newspaper expecting commendation for his efforts?

Thank you.
I wonder how many politicians keep such an accurate count.
It would be much better to indicate that [ The volunteers in our constituency distributed about 2,000 oranges when they greeted about 1,000 residents. ]