• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

New iPad 2013

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I am a lotus 123 person, using that till it had an GUI
Bit nostalgic on Lotus Notes, had some useful stuff archived (for odd foray until awhile back). :wink:

TS, imho (not a techie) a decent laptop will do the job nicely. Nowadays they come in small, handy permutations -good for carry ons, and lightweight (unlike the unwieldy and bulky models before). Also, with latest smartphones like Iphone -my Ipad seems to be more of a white elephant. Good enough for emails, surfing on the go. Ipad if you need better visibility (screen wise), ebooks and the like.

Last edited:

cowbellc

Alfrescian
Loyal
A tablet will never be a replacement for a computer.

A tablet is good for browsing information. It becomes very cumbersome if you actually want to create stuff.

I done most of my job on the ipad, even contract signing, and straight email a copy to cus and store a copy to sugarsync. Present to cus on ipad, using cloud.

Even create an app to straight quote to customer on the go.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If you are talking about the new MacPro, I'm only curious about the price.
I really don't need a desktop unit of that calibre,

ja, what else can i be talking about
it is not a desktop, it is a professional workstation.

you breed mac mini and mac pro, you get the new mac pro.
a piece of shit if you consider that it is workstation which cannot be expanded.
that why it look like a trashcan. it is literally trash.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
I done most of my job on the ipad, even contract signing, and straight email a copy to cus and store a copy to sugarsync. Present to cus on ipad, using cloud.

Even create an app to straight quote to customer on the go.

Tried doing my photography and graphics stuff on my iPad. I gave up after 2 hours.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
photography and graphics stuff is even a challenge for mac pro. Your IQ160 files will strain the most powerful workstation.

I can do it on my 11" Macbook Air without any problems. Some scripts run a bit slow but as long as I only have one application running, the speed is acceptable.

Dark Knight

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If you travel you will find that a 15" Macbook Pro may not fit in a room safe. I have a 13" & found it a tight fit in some hotel safes

Most hotel only provide a small safe box in your room. Not many notebook can fit in.
For traveling, ipad mini fits the bill and you got no worries putting it in the safe.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
cheap skate.
should be macbook pro 15

I bought the Macbook Air because it can fit nicely into my camera bag along with my flash, lenses and travel tripod. I don't need to carry a separate bag for my computer.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I currently use an external WD passport HDD & DVD drive burner to do backups. It is a kludgy approach

I'm looking for a more elegant solution to do backups for a Win 7, Mac lion Macbook Pro, and soon an IOS 7 iPad
Has anyone got a suggestion on how I can backup all these devices :confused: Can I use a NAS solution?

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If you travel you will find that a 15" Macbook Pro may not fit in a room safe. I have a 13" & found it a tight fit in some hotel safes

i never stay in a hotel that the staff dare to take a laptop away from the desk.
no staff will risk it. i dun stay in cheap hotel.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I bought the Macbook Air because it can fit nicely into my camera bag along with my flash, lenses and travel tripod. I don't need to carry a separate bag for my computer.

advice leh, what travel tripod can fit in a bag??? i know no decent tripod can fit in a bag.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i never stay in a hotel that the staff dare to take a laptop away from the desk.
no staff will risk it. i dun stay in cheap hotel.

Personally never had anything stolen from me before but it never hurts to take precautions.

Sometimes honest people can be tempted especially if you make yourself an easy target.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Personally never had anything stolen from me before but it never hurts to take precautions.

Sometimes honest people can be tempted especially if you make yourself an easy target.

exactly, the chance of hotel staff taking your macbook pro is so small, dun bother to put in the safe.