• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

New iPad 2013

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
I currently use an external WD passport HDD & DVD drive burner to do backups. It is a kludgy approach

I'm looking for a more elegant solution to do backups for a Win 7, Mac lion Macbook Pro, and soon an IOS 7 iPad
Has anyone got a suggestion on how I can backup all these devices :confused: Can I use a NAS solution?

For backups I use the TimeMachine with a 1T Buffalo external portable disk with Thunderbolt connection. Easy to carry around but expensive. A cheaper one will be a 1T WD with USB II connection works as fast.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Do you want portability or backup? Your setup is more or less for portability. If you go the NAS route, there are several things you have to consider, resilient, price
and storage space. Get a raid 5, hot swappeable NAS. Something like a dropbox maybe what you need. On the other hand, my 5 year old time capsule is still working. So it just depends on what you need.
I currently use an external WD passport HDD & DVD drive burner to do backups. It is a kludgy approach

I'm looking for a more elegant solution to do backups for a Win 7, Mac lion Macbook Pro, and soon an IOS 7 iPad
Has anyone got a suggestion on how I can backup all these devices :confused: Can I use a NAS solution?

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
For backups I use the TimeMachine with a 1T Buffalo external portable disk with Thunderbolt connection. Easy to carry around but expensive. A cheaper one will be a 1T WD with USB II connection works as fast.

Do you have an iPad:confused:

Does anyone who has one ever back up:confused:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Do you want portability or backup? Your setup is more or less for portability. If you go the NAS route, there are several things you have to consider, resilient, price
and storage space. Get a raid 5, hot swappeable NAS. Something like a dropbox maybe what you need. On the other hand, my 5 year old time capsule is still working. So it just depends on what you need.

I currently have a WD passport HDD to backup my files on a PC & Macbook Pro. Timecapsule is a great solution but unfortunately limited to only the Mac.
I'm looking at a better solution to backup all my hardware i.e Win 7, Mountain Lion & a future IOS device(s)

Been looking at NAS system prices. A bare system without the HD drives can range from $200(2 bays) to $1,500(8 bays) They aren't cheap but I think it is worthwhile investment if they can do the job. Some of the dual bay systems which use 3.5" HDs are not that big but it is a home system rather than a portable system.

I've never used NAS before so I don't know the pros & cons of such a system:o

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I use a 1 TB USB 3.0 WD passport that is formatted for NFS. I've kept it formatted as a NFS device so that I can also use it on a PC(window7). I just drag the files I want to copy onto the HDD.

It is strange that transfer speeds is faster when I'm copying files from the Mac compared to when copying files from a PC. My PC motherboard supports USB 3.0 so I don't why it's noticeably faster on a Mac:biggrin:

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
FYI, timecapsule works with windows as well via SMB.

http://www.apple.com/au/airport-time-capsule/specs/

Interoperable with 802.11a-, 802.11b-, 802.11g-, 802.11n- and 802.11ac-enabled Mac computers, iOS devices, Apple TV, Windows-based PCs and other Wi-Fi devices

What and how you backup to it maybe different on windows, but rsync, sync,cron maybe all you need.

NAS are not meant to be portable. They are meant to be a huge storage solutions with different complexities. Technically, you can setup a NAS with beige box yourself.

I currently have a WD passport HDD to backup my files on a PC & Macbook Pro. Timecapsule is a great solution but unfortunately limited to only the Mac.
I'm looking at a better solution to backup all my hardware i.e Win 7, Mountain Lion & a future IOS device(s)

Been looking at NAS system prices. A bare system without the HD drives can range from $200(2 bays) to $1,500(8 bays) They aren't cheap but I think it is worthwhile investment if they can do the job. Some of the dual bay systems which use 3.5" HDs are not that big but it is a home system rather than a portable system.

I've never used NAS before so I don't know the pros & cons of such a system:o

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
ipad 2013 got functionality for a fatty gal like me?

Many who get an iPad/iPad mini just want a portable platform to surf the internet & read email. I'll be using mine when I travel because many places now provide free WiFi. Even budget hotels in LOS provide Wifi connectivity.

When you are chosing an iPad model the important thing you will have to decide is whether to pay $200 for the cellular functionality. The cellular circuitary is necessary if you want to use real time maps apps.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
iPad/iPad mini just want a portable platform to surf the internet & read email. I'll be using mine when I travel because many places now provide free WiFi.
When you are chosing an iPad model the important thing you will have to decide is whether to pay $200 for the cellular functionality. The cellular circuitary is necessary if you want to use real time maps apps.
Imho, minus cellular is crippling. Incremental cost is worth it, especially on the go (when wifi's not easily available). Local sim card affordable, and plus added connectivity on pairing with mobile (hotspot). Likewise, other way around

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Imho, minus cellular is crippling. Incremental cost is worth it, especially on the go (when wifi's not easily available). Local sim card affordable, and plus added connectivity on pairing with mobile (hotspot). Likewise, other way around

I share your opinion because my plan is to use it in my travels & the telco cost in LOS is cheap.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I'll probably get an iPad air or iPad mini with the retina display
However now that there are so many iPad choices it's going to much harder choosing an iPad:eek:

It's smart that Apple is providing FREE the Applications that they previously sold for $. This will make it be make the platform more attractive especially with Microsoft going to a subscriber plan for their applications.

The MacPro will be staring at US$2,999 . I'm not interested in the MacPro but I think quite reasonable.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Apple Announces Thinner, Lighter iPad Air With 64-Bit A7 Processor

At today’s media event in San Francisco, Apple debuted its much-anticipated fifth-generation iPad, re-named the iPad Air, which has been redesigned to resemble Apple's thinner-bezeled iPad mini. With its narrower side bezels and a slimmer form factor, the iPad Air is significantly lighter and smaller than the fourth-generation iPad, weighing in at only one pound. The iPad Air is 20 percent thinner and 28 percent lighter than the fourth-generation iPad.

Along with a redesigned chassis, the new iPad includes a 2048x1536 Retina display with a film-based sensor and an upgraded 64-bit A7 processor alongside the M7 motion coprocessor, plus a 5-megapixel rear iSight camera. With the A7 chip, the iPad Air offers twice the CPU and graphics performance of the previous iPad. The 64-bit architecture supports Open GL ES version 3.0, for "game console-like visual effects."

"iPad created an entirely new mobile computing experience, and the new iPad Air is another big leap ahead. It is so thin, light and powerful, once you hold one in your hand you will understand what a tremendous advancement this is,” said Philip Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Marketing. “iPad Air with its 9.7-inch Retina display weighs just one pound and packs the incredible performance of iOS 7 running on a 64-bit desktop-class Apple A7 chip, and delivers all-day battery life in the lightest full-sized tablet in the world."

Available in white/silver and black/space gray, the iPad Air comes in both 802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi and LTE cellular models and continues to offer up to 10 hours of battery life. It is available in capacities ranging from 16 GB to 128 GB.

U.S. Pricing remains the same, at $499/$599/$699/$799 for Wi-Fi versions, plus an additional $129 for comparable cellular versions. The iPad Air will be available on November 1 in the United States, China and other countries.

The iPad Air will replace the current full-sized iPad, while the iPad 2 will remain at $399 for a 16GB Wi-Fi model.

Tim Cook also announced at the event that Apple has sold 170 million iPads, and that there are now 475,000 iPad-specific apps in the App Store.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It's smart that Apple is providing FREE the Applications that they previously sold for $. This will make it be make the platform more attractive especially with Microsoft going to a subscriber plan for their applications.

The real news here is that Apple has driven the final nail into Microsoft's coffin.

This analysis will fully explain why.
http://therealmadhatter.wordpress.com/2013/09/12/microsoft-death-watch-ohhhh-shiney/

Microsoft is really, really, thoroughly and utterly fucked this time. :biggrin: