• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

New developments to share

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
Some observations I made from looking at SG & JB landed properties. I notice that there's a huge price gap between strata and individual titled for SG landed. JB strata titled properties are still in their infancy. Will we see the same trend in JB in 15-20 years time?

Would it be more safe to buy individual titled JB landed, looking at SG's trends? Or maybe because it's Malaysia boleh, so individual/strata titles doesn't matter so much?

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Some observations I made from looking at SG & JB landed properties. I notice that there's a huge price gap between strata and individual titled for SG landed. JB strata titled properties are still in their infancy. Will we see the same trend in JB in 15-20 years time?

Would it be more safe to buy individual titled JB landed, looking at SG's trends? Or maybe because it's Malaysia boleh, so individual/strata titles doesn't matter so much?

Individual strata should be for unguarded landed or plots of land right? I think the gap should not be too big if the sizes are comparable. In Singapore the strata landed should be cluster houses hence the lower prices.

whoami

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Lies, damned lies, and statistics.

House price hike not caused by foreigners: REHDA Johor
Get Daily Property News in Malaysia, News Powered by PropertyGuru Malaysia
Oct 16, 2013 - PropertyGuru.com.my

The rise in house prices in Johor can not be attributed to foreigners as they only account for five to 10 percent of the overall transactions.

“The main reason for the increase in property prices is the strong demand for properties in the hot and strategic areas in Johor Baharu and the Iskandar Malaysia and not the foreigners,” said Chairman of Real Estate and Housing Developers' Association Malaysia, Johor branch, Koh Moo Hing.

Y cant the relevant departments compile sales statistics and submit to tat Datuk...

Last edited:

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is what might happen in Malaysia in 2014 if GST is (likely to be) implemented in 2015.

Tokyo apartments for sale surge in Sept before tax hike
PUBLISHED OCTOBER 17, 2013

[TOKYO] The number of condominiums offered for sale in Tokyo and surrounding areas in September had the biggest increase in 17 months as developers accelerated sales before a planned consumption tax increase in April.

Developers introduced 5,968 units to the market in September, 77 per cent more than the 3,366 units a year earlier, the Real Estate Economic Research Institute Co said in a report released in Tokyo yesterday. The last time the monthly data had a bigger gain was in April 2012, when it rose 82 per cent.

More apartments are being offered to capture last-minute buying demand before the government increases the rate of sales tax to 8 per cent in April 2014 to tackle the nation's swelling debt. The supply of new apartments in Tokyo this year will rise to as many as 55,000 units, the highest level since 2007, after five straight months of increase in supply, according to an estimate by the institute.

"The consumption tax rise is one of the reasons for the increase in supply," Akio Fukuda, a manager at the Real Estate Economic Research Institute, said at a press conference in Tokyo yesterday. "Homebuyers are also expecting that prices will start to gain."

Among the developers that offered units last month was Mitsubishi Estate Co, Japan's second-largest developer. It introduced the 49-story Parkhouse Harumi Towers, where units are priced from 49.8 million yen (S$626,810) to 83.9 million yen, according to the company's website. The Tokyo-based industry researcher increased its forecast for new supply for the year by 10 per cent to 55,000 units from 50,000 units, the manager said.

Homebuyers' tax exemptions will be increased to as much as four million yen per transaction for residents who are moving in from April 1, according to the National Tax Agency. That compares with a tax break of two million yen for residents who are moving in from Jan 1 this year till March 31, 2014 according to the tax agency's website.

"We expect the favourable market condition to continue because of the government's tax exemption plan," said Mikio Namiki, an analyst at Mizuho Securities Co in Tokyo.

The Topix Real Estate Index, a measure of 44 property-related stocks, gained 0.3 per cent at the close of trading in Tokyo. - Bloomberg

http://www.businesstimes.com.sg/specials/property/tokyo-apartments-sale-surge-sept-tax-hike-20131017

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Y cant the relevant departments compile sales statistics and submit to tat Datuk...

My thoughts on why the statistic hides the real situation on the ground.

On average the 5-10% appear low, because most foreigners buy in the southern part of Johor (my guess is probably 15-20% on average) but there are many houses in central and northern part of Johor that are bought by locals. But price increase is very strong in the south, so the buying sentiment starts spreading upward. Now the developers gradually buy land at higher price in the central part of Johor and launching at higher price, and the cycle continues.

Chocolate

Alfrescian
Loyal

Strata landed has more controls, you dont individually own the plot your house is on, its collectively owned, like condos. hence you cant rebuild, and making structural changes requires approval. I have lived in strata landed in SG and didnt like it as there's less privacy also and disagreements over common facilities like the pool. I notice expats( Caucasians) like that lifestyle but Asians dont usually adapt well to it.

malpaso

Alfrescian
Loyal
Strata landed has more controls, you dont individually own the plot your house is on, its collectively owned, like condos. hence you cant rebuild, and making structural changes requires approval. I have lived in strata landed in SG and didnt like it as there's less privacy also and disagreements over common facilities like the pool. I notice expats( Caucasians) like that lifestyle but Asians dont usually adapt well to it.

there are two sides to every story. for individual lots, the parks and etc are not private areas, and the roads actually cannot be legally closed off to the public. Of course, nobody will purposely fight with the guards to be let in, but note that this is not supported by any legal framework. Also, you can't legally compel your neighbour if he doesn't want to pay for the guarded service.

for my future strata title, i will have joint ownership of the whole parcel of the precinct, and also, my lot on which my house stands is clearly designated on the strata title document (as shown in my SPA). so far, it seems ok to me although i did have reservations about it before confirming my purchase.

Chocolate

Alfrescian
Loyal
there are two sides to every story. for individual lots, the parks and etc are not private areas, and the roads actually cannot be legally closed off to the public. Of course, nobody will purposely fight with the guards to be let in, but note that this is not supported by any legal framework. Also, you can't legally compel your neighbour if he doesn't want to pay for the guarded service.

for my future strata title, i will have joint ownership of the whole parcel of the precinct, and also, my lot on which my house stands is clearly designated on the strata title document (as shown in my SPA). so far, it seems ok to me although i did have reservations about it before confirming my purchase.

I was just sharing abt my experience in SG and why it doesnt do as well as normal landed here. The price increase has been marginal compared to normal landed. In at least 2 developments I know, it has barely gone up relative to 2007 high and in fact during subprime, sank faster and lower. Goes up much slower on the whole. Its better for rental yield as expats pay good rent but for living, in my development , all the local owners tried their best to sell and get out as we couldnt tahan the noise of the Caucasians and their pool parties going till midnight. They more or less controlled the committee so we couldnt do anything. Also sharing the land means you cant really have freedom to do what you like , as in extensions etc. In fact, I also dont like open concept with no fences after this bad experience, which si why I didnt buy East Ledang. A lot of the neighbours had fights in this strata development as we only had low fences between houses, no privacy when we sat in patio as neighbours can see us , hear us, fights ensued also between enighbours and even over simple thinsg like maids talking to each other.Especially between expat and local as their kids didnt stick to boundaries and our lifestyles arent the same.The maintenance was also very high, almost $600 per mth, not worth it.
But to each his own, so I dont mean to offend anyone, just know what you're getting into.In MY though, houses are bigger, more space and I think walls are higher, so its not so bad.But strata title still means you dont have an individual title so I wonder how the market will differentiate this over time.

checkers

Alfrescian
Loyal
In fact, I also dont like open concept with no fences after this bad experience, which si why I didnt buy East Ledang. A lot of the neighbours had fights in this strata development as we only had low fences between houses, no privacy when we sat in patio as neighbours can see us , hear us, fights ensued also between enighbours and even over simple thinsg like maids talking to each other.Especially between expat and local as their kids didnt stick to boundaries and our lifestyles arent the same.The maintenance was also very high, almost $600 per mth, not worth it.
But to each his own, so I dont mean to offend anyone, just know what you're getting into.In MY though, houses are bigger, more space and I think walls are higher, so its not so bad.But strata title still means you dont have an individual title so I wonder how the market will differentiate this over time.

Same same. The same reason why I will not buy the open concept kinda of houses in LF or EL. Especially so when we love alfresco dining with my pets around us.

malpaso

Alfrescian
Loyal
I was just sharing abt my experience in SG and why it doesnt do as well as normal landed here. The price increase has been marginal compared to normal landed. In at least 2 developments I know, it has barely gone up relative to 2007 high and in fact during subprime, sank faster and lower. Goes up much slower on the whole. Its better for rental yield as expats pay good rent but for living, in my development , all the local owners tried their best to sell and get out as we couldnt tahan the noise of the Caucasians and their pool parties going till midnight. They more or less controlled the committee so we couldnt do anything. Also sharing the land means you cant really have freedom to do what you like , as in extensions etc. In fact, I also dont like open concept with no fences after this bad experience, which si why I didnt buy East Ledang. A lot of the neighbours had fights in this strata development as we only had low fences between houses, no privacy when we sat in patio as neighbours can see us , hear us, fights ensued also between enighbours and even over simple thinsg like maids talking to each other.Especially between expat and local as their kids didnt stick to boundaries and our lifestyles arent the same.The maintenance was also very high, almost $600 per mth, not worth it.

hi, in fact, it's a good point you mentioned and i can't really tell how my future strata titled house development is going to be like. certainly i wouldn't like angmo's taking over the committee as I too dislike the way they tend to push locals around, especially when they're in the majority. but do note my point on the 'shared parks and facilities not being private but public, ie returned to be maintained by MBJB, for instance. I can already see sign of wear and tear for the setia indah town park. which is why i hope SEC being strata may turn out differently. You are also right that the maintenance fee is high. I guess I will have to experience it in future to really 'appreciate it'.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal

In SG, strata and individual titled landed properties are not considered of the same class and thus the price differential. Just sharing based on what I heard from friends who own landed properties. The same may not apply in JB. Anyway for JB strata like Setia Eco Cascadia, i heard from the sales staff previously that after 5 years they will let the owners decide whether to revert to individual title, so the agreement signed to maintain facade is for 5 yeras only.

malpaso

Alfrescian
Loyal
In SG, strata and individual titled landed properties are not considered of the same class and thus the price differential. Just sharing based on what I heard from friends who own landed properties. The same may not apply in JB. Anyway for JB strata like Setia Eco Cascadia, i heard from the sales staff previously that after 5 years they will let the owners decide whether to revert to individual title, so the agreement signed to maintain facade is for 5 yeras only.

Whatever you may have heard im sure you misintrrperrt it.. Strata is strata cannot just convert to individual. What is likely your salesgirl meant is that after 5 years from signing of spa the jmb takes over from setia. It will still remain strata.. Whether good or not will be seen in future.

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
A high-resolution map dated 2007 showing where the zones and projects are.

IDR-FreeMap-July2007-1.5MB.jpg

rotikok

Alfrescian
Loyal
The critical one to reconsider is that: locals can't resell to foreigners in secondary market. That one really needs to be reconsidered, as there are a lot of local investors which may cause a market collapse, if they cant resell to foreigners.

I suspect state consent could be increased to say 2-3% of the property eventually.

It will create two market in every area, less likely market collapse.

avelc

Alfrescian
Loyal
A high-resolution map dated 2007 showing where the zones and projects are.

Great map that i keep in my phone. It actually shows there is limited land at the prime areas near the 1st and 2nd links. If ever they want to build a 3rd link, it will be to pasir gudang...

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
Whatever you may have heard im sure you misintrrperrt it.. Strata is strata cannot just convert to individual. What is likely your salesgirl meant is that after 5 years from signing of spa the jmb takes over from setia. It will still remain strata.. Whether good or not will be seen in future.

Main issue will only arise, some 20 years down the road, when there's a need to rebuild, aka like Singapore? Before that, probably not much of an issue I feel....

Bruceli

Alfrescian
Loyal
fews days of school break this week... psle marking .... even not much crowd in cbd area
nex week back to normal :(

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Great map that i keep in my phone. It actually shows there is limited land at the prime areas near the 1st and 2nd links. If ever they want to build a 3rd link, it will be to pasir gudang...

Yes! Build it at Pasir Gudang :biggrin:

cow138

Alfrescian
Loyal
Now with govt austerity measures I doubt there will be much push to start a third link.
Even the MRT seems to be off the table. Never seem to hear anything about it.