• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Mobile Food Sellers of Yesteryear

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
n534439615_1721383_7180.jpg

anyone remember up 2nd floor, bar waitresses dress as bunny girl...

n534439615_1721380_6633.jpg

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Singapore - The Lion City, 1957

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nw7toyYrqjs&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nw7toyYrqjs&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

moolightaffairs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
n534439615_1721383_7180.jpg

anyone remember up 2nd floor, bar waitresses dress as bunny girl...

n534439615_1721380_6633.jpg

bro! YOU ARE THE BEST! YOU CAN EVEN FIND TAY BAN GUAN!!! im the east side kid so i know tay ban guan! any fellow samster here know tay ban guan? katong last time very happening! got cinema and gay world nearby!

elephanto

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
New_Bridge_Rd.jpg

New Bridge Road
I'll never forget this 'Ovaltine' signboard.

Notice the 'Lam Tian Hotel' in the middle next to the 555 cigarette box advert ? Next to LamTian is the Majestic Theatre.
This shows the junction of Cross St & New Bridge Rd where Chinatown Point, People's Park Centre & Hotel 81 & The YuHua Emporium now stand at 4 corners of the junction....

elephanto

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
getImage.jsp

This is the only picture I can find of the legendary sarabat stalls at Waterloo St. Even then, it is a near miss.
As you can see, the stalls have just been cleared, background you can see SJI....

In this pix,these 2 alley-cats certainly seem to recognise an old friend in Rojak Seller M P Mohamad when he returned to survey the site of his old stall.The 13 indian rojak & sarabat stalls have been recently renovated for a month - this pix is taken in 1979. After the stall structures are improved, the vendors returned......
Source & Details : from National Archives

Last edited:

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
bro! YOU ARE THE BEST! YOU CAN EVEN FIND TAY BAN GUAN!!! im the east side kid so i know tay ban guan! any fellow samster here know tay ban guan? katong last time very happening! got cinema and gay world nearby!

Frequented Tay Ban Guan when it was first opened, until it closed down, though I do not live in that part of Spore!. I know that belt well..all the makan stalls.....

There was a supermarket at the new wing...Cold Storage I think..and a fish aquarium shop, where I once bought an African fish..that grew & grew & ate all my 'barbs' collection in my tank..that was not so far back...the place now stand a CONDO..

I remember Red House very well, tha cakes etc...and the OLD WEIGHING MACHINE...

Thanks Postnew for those photos..

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I'll never forget this 'Ovaltine' signboard.

Notice the 'Lam Tian Hotel' in the middle next to the 555 cigarette box advert ? Next to LamTian is the Majestic Theatre.
This shows the junction of Cross St & New Bridge Rd where Chinatown Point, People's Park Centre & Hotel 81 & The YuHua Emporium now stand at 4 corners of the junction....

ThanL you postnew for this old gem... the ovaltine later gave way to Lam Soon Cooking Oil, with the floursecent tubes...a man striking an anvil,,it was quite a sight at night...later it gave way to Citizen's watch...'cheng seng piew"...the 555 becambe abdullah & craven 69...I sure missed those huge illuminated billboard.... the only one bigger was the National one at Capitol Car park & the other on top of Cathay Building..Toray Rayon... & the one at the end of Mac Donald House....the car..ahhh was it MG or Triupmh or the RCA sign opposite..

Nam TIan with the dance hostess, I wasn't allowed up....too young, Majestic I saw countess movies there, from Tarzan To Lin Dai's classic, Kwan San's movies ( Rosamund Kwan's Dad)...especially "xin xin, yuet lan, tai yan" Parts I & II...

from the street opposite we have the bak kwa shop, two stationery shops cum chinese books rental ( you rent the books to read), one confectionery shop ( where they bring plates of small cakes , you pay for what you eat), a shop that sells toys, codiments etc., a record shop, & TAI SAN Medical Hall...

looking at the picture, I can still hear, in the echoes of memories of cliff Richard's songs, Elvis Presley, Jim Reeves, "Guantanamera"..The Beatles songs sung in English & in Cantonese, "Han Fai De La" ( Cant' buy me Love)...

The row where Hotel 81 was part of the Mosque Street Rental Flats, I think built after the war? by whom?...it was a one room only, with common kitchen & bath rooms/toliets in the centre...( my relative used to live there).. during Moon Cake Festival it was a sight to behold..when Tai Tung, Tai Thong...but up their colorful billboard of "lady on the moon' with the flashing bulbs.. on the same row we have Nam Thong...one of the best tea house...in the middle of that row, there was an exclusive club for then towkays of Chinatown...more like "Shanghai Bund"...& there was an off the wall carpenter..too in that road & all the garan guni's shop at the end, where the Indian/Muslim Mosque is...

This was your SINGAPORE, with the colour, sight & sounds..

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Might look Thai but this was where the Infonesian embassy was located :biggrin:

It was next to Ngee Ann where Mont dor was located.

We all know Wisma Indonesia...,,the younger ones would not...and next to Wisma was Ngee Ann Kongsi Building...with Mont D' Or cake shop....the best cakes you buy & order from, at that time!!, sure miss Mont D'Or..

I remember Wisma Indon, one Christmas night I ran into some lady I know with her boy friend...too much to drink...lying on the inner passageway of the wisma next to the road...which even now I can't forget...

Those was the "DISCO" days of "Lady's Night, Disco Duck, Celebration..and then came MJ " Off the Wall"....BEE GEES!..Yvonne Elliman...Samantha Sang....

That was YOUR SINGAPORE..memories..:biggrin:

elephanto

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
getImage.jsp

This is the only picture I can find of the legendary sarabat stalls at Waterloo St. Even then, it is a near miss.
As you can see, the stalls have just been cleared, background you can see SJI....

In this pix,these 2 alley-cats certainly seem to recognise an old friend in Rojak Seller M P Mohamad when he returned to survey the site of his old stall.The 13 indian rojak & sarabat stalls have been recently renovated for a month - this pix is taken in 1979. After the stall structures are improved, the vendors returned......
Source & Details : from National Archives
something wrong, the pix can't appear :confused:

AhBengBoyBoy

Alfrescian
Loyal
What a pity. No pictures of all the sarabat stalls. Now I donno what it looks like.

My old old uncle say last time every time he finish going to the National Library or Museum, he and friend sure will go to Waterloo Street and eat the Indian Rojak.

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
1970. Fire damaged three textile shops in North Bright Rd
Sharp Night, a popular TV varitey show at that time.
getImage.jsp

getImage.jsp

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Soya Sauce Seller from a trishaw -A regular supplier to hawkers operating at Hill Street Food Centre

getImage.jsp

getImage.jsp