• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Mobile Food Sellers of Yesteryear

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
getImage.jsp

THE JUNCTION OF TIONG BAHRU ROAD AND KIM PONG ROAD

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
The old man in the picture is selling "Mi Chiang Kueh" Crispy on the outside like a flour pastry with fillings of crushed peanuts and sugar. The big round cast iron pan is where he pour the flour mixture, cover it, when it is almost set. He sprinkles an abundant of peanut and sugar mixture. Then folds the "big pancake" into half and start cutting them to the appropriate size and sells them.

elephanto

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Postnew, that pix of Kim Pong Rd & Tiong Bahru Rd junction is pre-1970 and the traffic lights at this junction actually has been there for a long long time...

That corner furniture shop is Sin Chye Huat, lower down to the right of the photo, in front of a drain, there is a wide display wall, with painted canvas display of movies showing at King's Theatre ... before large scale digital prints, all movie displays are painted on canvas .... some of these artists pretty good as mentioned by kingrant in earlier post ....

Yes, that old man selling 'mun-chiang kueh' as papsmearer had clarified.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Postnew, that pix of Kim Pong Rd & Tiong Bahru Rd junction is pre-1970 and the traffic lights at this junction actually has been there for a long long time...

That corner furniture shop is Sin Chye Huat, lower down to the right of the photo, in front of a drain, there is a wide display wall, with painted canvas display of movies showing at King's Theatre ... before large scale digital prints, all movie displays are painted on canvas .... some of these artists pretty good as mentioned by kingrant in earlier post ....

Papsmearer knows his food.... yum yum

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
For younger people who missed out on old Singapore, they can take a trip up to HK. Places like Mongkok and Wanchai in Kowloon still can give a pretty good live account and images of what Singapore was. Those days, the immigrant tenants hung their bamboo poles of wet laundry outside their windows over pedestrians' heads in Chinatown. Include the New Territories too for such images.

I think some places in Malaysia still look like that.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Upper Pickering St is Tam Pin Kai, isnt it?

Hoy San Kai is Upper Pickering Street, Upper Cross Street is......the name now slipped my mind...and that is where the "Yau Kai Min" ( the dark sauce chicken with noodle), was and now reincarnated further down the road & standard have dropped, along the same row we have the FROG Plaster ( ko yeok) and the former corner coffee shop ( where hotel 81 is) the 'chi pow kai' (Chicken baked in waxed paper)..where are they now?

Tau Foo Kai is in between Upper Pickering Street ( the two blocks of old SIT flats) & Upper Cross Street...

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

The Hair dressing saloon in that picture existed until recent years....until the shops there were demolished..:p

elephanto

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Actually, I am dying for pix of the row of shophouses of Bras Basah - especially the stretch from Rendezvous restaurant down to indian bookstores ending at the Waterloo St junction, and also the famous sarabat row of stalls outside the basketball court adjoining CYMA (Catholic Young Men's Assoc).....

Bro postnew, can ? :p

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Actually, I am dying for pix of the row of shophouses of Bras Basah - especially the stretch from Rendezvous restaurant down to indian bookstores ending at the Waterloo St junction, and also the famous sarabat row of stalls outside the basketball court adjoining CYMA (Catholic Young Men's Assoc).....

I had a colleague who was also an amateur painter....painted the row you are talking about...including the THAI FORTUNE TELLER SIGN..something like that...I wanted to buy that painting from him..he offered $25!, back then, was quite a sum...should have paid for that painting...it would be a great momento of a place long lost...PRICELESS!:mad:

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

My grandfather lived there, in those apartments above the shop houses on Bras Basah. He rented a double unit apartment. Very large place and could house his large family. Also passed away in that apartment. My uncles, mom, and aunty walk to nearby Town Convent and SJI, and every one attended St. Joseph's Church.

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
MULCHANDS DEPARTMENTAL STORE AT BRAS BASAH ROAD OPENS TODAY AFTER UNDERGOING EXTENSIVE RENOVATION AND EXTENSIONS COSTING $175,000. FROM A SMALL DRESS-MAKING SHOP, IT HAS EXPANDED INTO A LEADING DEPARTMENTAL STORE. PICTURE SHOWS CUSTOMERS BEING ATTENDED TO AT THE MUSIC AND ELECTRONICS SECTION
getImage.jsp

getImage.jsp

getImage.jsp

getImage.jsp