• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Missing Front Volume Of Condor Heroes

jw5

Loyal
Shen Shengyi had some of the best swordfights ever choreographed on TV. I wonder who's the martial arts instructor and choreographer. I was too young then to bother about such things. But frankly, if you're able to get get a Shen Shengyi DVD and watch it again, I think you'd know what I mean. The swordfighting were swift and smooth and stunning without any hint of slow motion, fast motion or special effect. Shen Shengyi wore his sword loosely clipped at his waist without a sheath, classic. Instant strike anytime. It bypassed (not broke) the rules of even the best swords, i.e. out of sheath then must see blood. His sword got no sheath! Caveat emptor!
There must have been some special effects. Wouldn't be too difficult to fast forward the action and then use the faster version as the final cut.

The swift swordplay and the sword without the sheath were both deliberate. Shen's forte was swift swordplay to defeat and kill his opponents, while the unsheathed sword was a symbol that he was ready to kill at anytime. He was not the typical hero, who only unsheathed his sword, when people were in need of help.

It would have been interesting to see a duel between Shen and Zhang Sanfeng's Taiji Jian. Fast vs Slow. Zhang would have used his opponent's speed against him. :smile:

Wang Ye

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think the Senile Retard was top of the tops. He knew the entire Jiuyang Zhenjing but didn't stray into evil or covetuousness because he was righteously senile. That's as good as mastering Jiuyang Zhenying, which was actually Jiuyang Zhenjing version 2.0 to rid the evil tendencies.

Western Venom at the end of Shediao Yingxiong Houzhuan was also practically invincible having practised the Huang Rong-doctored version of Jiuying Zhenjing. His bloodflow and accupuncture points all went haywire and his opponents couldn't get a good aim at vital vulnerable points.

However, he became worse than senile, he went insane. :eek: :biggrin:

Actually it is the mis-interpretation of Jiuyin Zhenjing that results in "straying into evil". For example Jiuyin Baigu Claw taken literally to attack the opponent's skull. As for Zhoubotong mastering it, well it mastered it by unwittingly most of it. The most important portion pertaining to internal skills was never learnt.

As for Western Venom it was also his erratic form of fighting when he became insane which added to the difficulty of fighting him.

jw5

Loyal
I thought Xu Shao Qiang that time he has to go to prison, so they changed the character? :confused::confused:
Not 100% sure, your version may be correct.
But what I read was that there was a contract dispute. Xu wanted more money, and in the meantime, he went to take on other projects. That's why the character disappeared for several episodes, while they were negotiating.

Yun Feiyang actually had to go into hibernation to master Tian Cang Shen Gong, unlike Zhang Wuji who only took one episode to master Jiuyang Zhenjing and grow from boy to man. :smile:

Wang Ye

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yun Feiyang actually had to go into hibernation to master Tian Cang Shen Gong, unlike Zhang Wuji who only took one episode to master Jiuyang Zhenjing and grow from boy to man. :smile:

Heeheehee the one episode is actually 5 years. Plus one part that is often overlooked and left out on TV adaptations was that he also consumed special peaches. :biggrin:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
As for Western Venom it was also his erratic form of fighting when he became insane which added to the difficulty of fighting him.

It was impossibly difficult to beat him as even when insane, his natural reflexes to strike back (and very powerfully) were still there. However, he had lost all sense of coherent purpose. It wasn't hard to stop him or get him off one's back too. Served him right for trying to pirate software. :biggrin:

Wang Ye

Alfrescian
Loyal
It was impossibly difficult to beat him as even when insane, his natural reflexes to strike back (and very powerfully) were still there. However, he had lost all sense of coherent purpose. It wasn't hard to stop him or get him off one's back too. Served him right for trying to pirate software. :biggrin:

True. Plus let's not forget the bugger plays with poison and that is real nasty. So true. :biggrin:

coolguy

Alfrescian
Loyal
Shen Shengyi had some of the best swordfights ever choreographed on TV. I wonder who's the martial arts instructor and choreographer. I was too young then to bother about such things. But frankly, if you're able to get get a Shen Shengyi DVD and watch it again, I think you'd know what I mean. The swordfighting were swift and smooth and stunning without any hint of slow motion, fast motion or special effect. Shen Shengyi wore his sword loosely clipped at his waist without a sheath, classic. Instant strike anytime. It bypassed (not broke) the rules of even the best swords, i.e. out of sheath then must see blood. His sword got no sheath! Caveat emptor!

Can spell Shen Shengyi in chinese characters?
How come I never heard of this show one? Ever shown on TV before?

With the success of "reincarnated", ATV follow up with a sequel named "Dragon Strikes". Set in the Ming Dynasty, this series much more exciting than the former, with it's numerous casts and real historical figures including the reknowned traitor Liu Jin, playboy emperor Shun De etc.
Plus Wudang, Shao Lin, Er Mei, Qun Lun sects, and even got the white lotus sect some more. Then Yun Fei Yang sister suddenly revived from the death and became the invincible zombie killer! WTF.
But KNN, they killed off my fav Yun Fei Yang near the end.
Yet later, HK and Taiwan refilmed the series again but this time, Yun Fei Yang is the main hero and he never died in the end.
Wonder the ATV producer ever follow the novel one or not.
Or they just want to kill him to improve the show rating?

I remember the 1982 Tian Long Ba Bu, they also never follow script. Near the end, they killed off the silent monk and the 4 freaks who are not supposed to die.

trojan18

Alfrescian
Loyal
always wondered who would be the winner:

沈胜衣 vs 一点红 of (楚留香)

Both are equally cool swordsman....:smile:

breakingfree

Alfrescian
Loyal
Zhang Sanfeng was only a boy when his teacher recited the Jiuyang Zhenjing to him and Guo Xiang at his deathbed.
Later, he admitted to his disciples that he could hardly remember any of it, hence he was unable to master the skill and cure his 5th disciple's son (Wuji) when he was injured by the Mongolian henchmen.

Zhang Sanfeng not really hardly remember any of it.He needs 100% of JiuYang to save Wuji. He can only grasp abt 30% of what was taught during that fateful night. Last min burn midnight oil before his teacher went to "see" buddha. As explain below by wiki:

The Shaolin, Wudang and Emei sects have their own versions of the Nine Yang Manual after Wuse, Zhang Junbao and Guo Xiang pass on their knowledge to their respective sects. As Guo has the best memory of the three of them, Emei's version is the longest. However, Shaolin's version is the most powerful because Wuse is superior to Guo and Zhang in terms of martial arts and he integrates the manual's skills with his own. As for Zhang, who spent the longest time with Jueyuan, he recalls the most original and purest version of the manual. The three simplified versions of the manual eventually become known as "Shaolin Nine Yang Skill" (少林九陽功), "Wudang Nine Yang Skill" (武當九陽功), and "Emei Nine Yang Skill" (峨嵋九陽功).

Anyway, JiuYang was only an internal strength improvement manual. But a very very good 1. Most likely on par or slightly better than Shaolin Yijin jing. Jiuying is the all in 1 manual. It teaches internal strength improvement and deadly moves.

IIRC, Wang Chongyang never learn Jiuying. He was already a very powerful martial art master. The huashan meet between the 5 greats were not only to discuss martial arts but also to decide who gets the Jiuying manual. Wang Chongyang won during the meet and gets the manual but never learnt it. He knew the west venom dying to get the manual and decided to trade his skill with south emperor for the YiYang zhi to counter west venom.

For the debate who was the strongest martial master in JinYong, Most will agree that the sweeping monk in TianLong was the best. He can kill people just by touching a person machiam like the japan manga Northern Star fist. But during an interview with Jin Yong himself, he concurred that most likely Yang Guo was the best in all his novel.

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
IIRC, Wang Chongyang never learn Jiuying. He was already a very powerful martial art master. The huashan meet between the 5 greats were not only to discuss martial arts but also to decide who gets the Jiuying manual. Wang Chongyang won during the meet and gets the manual but never learnt it. He knew the west venom dying to get the manual and decided to trade his skill with south emperor for the YiYang zhi to counter west venom.

For the debate who was the strongest martial master in JinYong, Most will agree that the sweeping monk in TianLong was the best. He can kill people just by touching a person machiam like the japan manga Northern Star fist. But during an interview with Jin Yong himself, he concurred that most likely Yang Guo was the best in all his novel.

any additional info on Wang Chongyang "big dipper formation" that apparently can trap or defeat the other Four Greats.

always think that Yang Guo was the strongest martial master at end of Return of the Condor Heroes.

vamjok

Alfrescian
Loyal
yang guo was the strongest in terms of those that actually appears in the story before. if include those that already past away never see be4 one has to be lonely asking to be defeated

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
yang guo was the strongest in terms of those that actually appears in the story before. if include those that already past away never see be4 one has to be lonely asking to be defeated

He's crap. Guo Xiang choped off one of his arms. Actually, I think it was Jin Yong playing sarcasm with traditional Chinese swordfighting stance. One arm outstretched with two fingers raised and the other arm with the sword pulled back. Nice dance stance, but practically silly and dangerous, exposing the outstretched arm and fingers to opponent's blade.

Losing that arm became a burden relieved. Note Japanese swordfighting, both hands on the swordhandle to deliever maximum force instead of one arm dangling or dancing for show and exposed to danger. Note ancient military swordfighting, one hand with sword and one hand with shield.

vamjok

Alfrescian
Loyal
actually you are not comparing apple to apple. if you wish to compare about military weapon to those japanese swordfighting style, you should compare with saber. everyone knows about the shortcoming of swordplay, that why sword was long outdated to be used for war in china long ago in the development of weapons in ancient china. swordplay was more of an scholarly art since the early part of chinese history, meaning its for the bookworms.

its jin yong he himself that said yang guo is the strongest, not me

coolguy

Alfrescian
Loyal
So what is the difference between JiuYang and JiuYing?
Is there any relation between the two, else why are they named as such?
When young, I always thought JiuYang is only mastered by male, and the JiuYing by female.
It seems JiuYing is a vicious skill, where if the practisioner makes one wrong step, he turns evil. Yin=dark.
And JiuYang seems all good with no side effects. Yang=sunshine.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
actually you are not comparing apple to apple. if you wish to compare about military weapon to those japanese swordfighting style, you should compare with saber. everyone knows about the shortcoming of swordplay, that why sword was long outdated to be used for war in china long ago in the development of weapons in ancient china. swordplay was more of an scholarly art since the early part of chinese history, meaning its for the bookworms.

That's why I said, Jin Yong could be tongue-in-cheek about it.

Anyway, the Japanese samurai sword is a fusion of the slim blade sword and a broad blade curved sabre. The Japanese themselves (and Chinese too) refer to it as a sabre but somehow in western languages like English, it's always referred to as a sword. The marked advantage in the curve is the smoothening of the draw from the sheath and the slashing strike.

Another difference is sabres (including Japanese katana) are sharpened on one side, unlike swords sharpened on both sides of the blades. This enable the user to use his hand on the unsharpened side of the blade to backup the blade against heavier weapon wielded by stronger opponents.

The Chinese broad blade sabre has the advantage of weight and momentum multiplier when in full swing. However, the Japanese katana (technically a slim blade sabre) has the advantage of ease of doubling up as a sword when doing piercing moves. In terms of beauty, I think the Japanese katana beat Chinese and rest of the world's swords and sabres.

vamjok

Alfrescian
Loyal
that i agree, nothing come close to a Japanese sword. in fact their sword is so good that many material engineers said the very first material engineers in the world are actually the japanese sword makers. the precise use of amount of carbon to steel to create different kind of steel at different layer of sword.

i had seen an image of a old japanese sword using special spectroscopy techniques, its really amazing at how the sword is nicely layered to balance strength and ductility (prevent cracking).

breakingfree

Alfrescian
Loyal
He's crap. Guo Xiang choped off one of his arms. Actually, I think it was Jin Yong playing sarcasm with traditional Chinese swordfighting stance. One arm outstretched with two fingers raised and the other arm with the sword pulled back. Nice dance stance, but practically silly and dangerous, exposing the outstretched arm and fingers to opponent's blade.

Yang Guo not at his peak yet when Guo xiang chopped off his arm and IIRC, Yang Guo was injured or poisoned at that moment of time. Thats why he cant avoid the sword fast enough.

Yang guo pro pts was that he was very clever and got a photographic memory. He can memorise and understand the geis of martial art skill by only watching the moves only once. Imho Yang Guo was the jack of all trade regarding martial arts. He knew part of JiuYing, most of the 5 greats skills( toad skill, tanzi sheng gong, etc) Dugu qiubai swordskill and sumarize all his knowledge to create his own 黯然销魂掌.

There was a story on why Yang Guo arm was chopped off in the novel. Jinyong was writing the novel in the chinese newspaper daily column. He needs to take leave and ask his frd Ni Kuang(The author of wisely series) to take over as ghost writer when he is away. When Ni Kuang took over, he found that Yang Guo was too perfect, handsome in the novel and decide to add some blemish to him by adding the arm chopping part in the novel.

Anyway, imho I dont really agree with JinYong that Yang Guo was the best. It is general knowledge the characters in TianLong were insanely powerful. Almost demi-godlike i must say. For comparison: The Southern emperor in return of the condors only managed to learn the normal lvl of Yiyang zi and already considered as 1 of the 5 greats. Imagine DuanYu of Tianlong learnt until the last 2nd or max( i forgotten) lvl of the same skill and managed to control 6 stream of Yiyang zi. And not to forget DuanYu got the best evasive skill in whole of JinYong novels and he was not considered the best yet in Tianlong.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Losing that arm became a burden relieved. Note Japanese swordfighting, both hands on the swordhandle to deliever maximum force instead of one arm dangling or dancing for show and exposed to danger. Note ancient military swordfighting, one hand with sword and one hand with shield.

comeon its ram for god's sake. he will find every opportunity to put down chinese arts. i mean for god's sakes this is a discussion on fairytale martial arts with lazers flying from their fingers obviously their swordplay isn't exactly realistic. yet this dumb ass ram doesn't know this. cooleo already called him up many times.

aurvandil

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is general knowledge the characters in TianLong were insanely powerful. Almost demi-godlike i must say.

Other than being quite careful with history, Jin Yong also developed quite a detailed and consistent mythology with regard to kung fu. In general the level of kung fu skills are seen to gradually diminish as we gradually move into the modern era.

The following is a timeline for his various novels from Wiki.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronology_of_Jin_Yong's_novels#The_Legend_of_the_Condor_Heroes

1.Sword of the Yue Maiden (c. 500 BC)
2.Demi-Gods and Semi-Devils (1091-1094)
3.The Legend of the Condor Heroes (1204-1225)
4.The Return of the Condor Heroes (1237-1260)
5.The Heaven Sword and Dragon Saber (1263-1359)
6.The Smiling, Proud Wanderer (c. 1500s)
7.Ode to Gallantry (1560-1564)
8.Sword Stained with Royal Blood (1629-1645)
9.The Deer and the Cauldron (1669-1681)
10.A Deadly Secret (1684-1690)
11.Swordswoman Riding West on White Horse (c. 1600s)
12.Blade-dance of the Two Lovers (early 1700s)
13.The Book and the Sword (1753-1759)
14.Other Tales of the Flying Fox (1766-1771)
15.Flying Fox of Snowy Mountain (1780)