• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Minister Hen: RSAF has robust defence for SInkiepore airspace

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The RSAF isn't going to wait till intruders are actually over the 710sqkm of airspace immediately above the Island. Way back in in 1988 when I was directly involved in the air defense of the Island, the E2Cs that were being used at the time provided more than 30 minutes of warning of any unusual aircraft activity within a cone of more than 250km radius.

You can read about the E2C's capabilities at https://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/e-2.htm

Many years have passed and I'm sure the advanced warning features today give even more time to react.

At Tengah Air Base, one squadron would be on standby duty at all times and could be scrambled within minutes. I can vouch for this because I witnessed it many times when I was deployed there.

All Air Forces have their limitations but I can tell you that when it comes to air defense, Singapore is not to be messed with. It is one of the best in the region. It's something that Singaporeans should truly be proud of.

obviously you are showing your ignorance again. and you claim to be involved in the air defence of SG in 1988? the E2c can extend the detection range of intruding aircraft. but the E2c is not airborne all the time. From what I know, the E2c is only useful when it is airborne and working in partnership with fighter aircraft.

All these facts are available in Flight Magazine and Janes' Aircraft

Am I wrong or are you wrong?

Last edited:

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Robust until when found out :kma:

Just like how whitely detention centre and woodlands immigrant checkpoint are 'ROBUST' until tested by real people instead of by rehearsed drills :kma:

NEH's talk is cheap. TCH has been proven wrong many times. When the RSAF is tested and found wanting, it will be too late for SG

KNNBNBCB

Alfrescian
Loyal
These are all minor issues in comparison with the scandals and dishonesty that occurs in other countries.

XlCNGlr.jpg

...................................... :confused:

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
obviously you are showing your ignorance again. and you claim to be involved in the air defence of SG in 1988? the E2c can extend the detection range of intruding aircraft. but the E2c is not airborne all the time. From what I know, the E2c is only useful when it is airborne and working in partnership with fighter aircraft.

All these facts are available in Flight Magazines or Janes'

Am I wrong or are you wrong?

i answer for ah leong.

there are 4 E2C in saf inventory. no problem in providing 24/7 coverage even with downtime factor in. the turboprop engine ensure turn over time to be short while the the plane can fly non stop for 6hrs before refueling. not sure whether it had aerial refueling capability, if so, no problem last another 4-6 hours before giving its crew a rest.

Last edited:

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i answer for ah leong.

there are 4 E2C in saf inventory. no problem in providing 24/7 coverage even with downtime factor in. the turboprop engine ensure turn over time to be short while the the plane can fly non stop for 6hrs before refueling. not sure whether it had aerial refueling capability, if so, no problem last another 4-6 hours before giving its crew a rest.

the rsaf is on such high alert all the time or it is only capable of such alert states during war?

there is a vast difference being able to do it on paper and doing it all the time.

is the rsaf only capable on paper?

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Then one day, an E2c after patrol landed without dropping its landing gear. The plane had to undergo extensive repairs costing millions as the all the sensitive equipment in the underbelly were written off. Took one year to complete.

The primary surveillance role is now covered by G550s.

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Then one day, an E2c after patrol landed without dropping its landing gear. The plane had to undergo extensive repairs costing millions as the all the sensitive equipment in the underbelly were written off. Took one year to complete.

Pilot's error? Costly!

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset

What I do not understand is why Singaporeans seem to find glee in things going wrong.

Those who think Singapore's "cock ups" are major would be horrified if they moved to another country and found that things go wrong all the time.

Shit happens because humans are not machines. They suffer from lapses, mood swings, hallucinations which means that nothing will ever be perfect no matter who is in power or how much you pay them.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
the rsaf is on such high alert all the time or it is only capable of such alert states during war?

there is a vast difference being able to do it on paper and doing it all the time.

is the rsaf only capable on paper?

When I was stationed at Tengah, there was one E2C airborne at all times and one fighter squadron on standby to be scrambled at short notice.

The E2Cs detected Indonesian naval activity during the aftermath of the hanging of the McDonald House bombers. It was the Old man's relationship with Suharto that enabled urgent phone calls to be made and the situation was diffused quickly.

KNNBNBCB

Alfrescian
Loyal
When I was stationed at Tengah, there was one E2C airborne at all times and one fighter squadron on standby to be scrambled at short notice.

The E2Cs detected Indonesian naval activity during the aftermath of the hanging of the McDonald House bombers. It was the Old man's relationship with Suharto that enabled urgent phone calls to be made and the situation was diffused quickly.

You are a NSF officer in tengah. That narrow down your vocation by a lot you know. Not much units in tengah with NSF officers.

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Singapore had E2c when LKY hanged the Indon Marines in 1968? who are you trying to bluff? SG didnt even have an air force until 1970s

Last edited:

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Sorry about the short downtime. The servers are being rebooted after SSL patching.

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't own the pigeon hole ...the government owns it and I have to pay thru my nose to use it for 99 years....

where can use for 99 years.......around 40 years, they kick you out by tearing down the block and force you to move to another pigeon hole and start paying thru you nose again....

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sir,

It is not we don't believe in the air defense of Singapore but find the whole thing unnecessary for a tiny dot island of only 700 sq km?

Maybe look at securing the shipping route make sense. Flying is zoom zoom thing and with a small airspace in Singapore what can Air force do with a plane that fly at 1Mar zoom zoom across Singapore in less than 10 seconds it is over?

What I do not understand is why Singaporeans seem to find glee in things going wrong.

Those who think Singapore's "cock ups" are major would be horrified if they moved to another country and found that things go wrong all the time.

Shit happens because humans are not machines. They suffer from lapses, mood swings, hallucinations which means that nothing will ever be perfect no matter who is in power or how much you pay them.

Last edited:

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
yeah lah ha? Selling pitch is 99 year lease and less than 40 years pull it down? Class action to take this government to court for misrepresentation?

where can use for 99 years.......around 40 years, they kick you out by tearing down the block and force you to move to another pigeon hole and start paying thru you nose again....

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Sir,

It is not we don't believe in the air defense of Singapore but find the whole thing unnecessary for a tiny dot island of only 700 sq km?

Maybe look at securing the shipping route make sense. Flying is zoom zoom thing and with a small airspace in Singapore what can Air force do with a plane that fly at 1Mar zoom zoom across Singapore in less than 10 seconds it is over?

Air defense in the event of war with the one or more neighbours will not be limited to just flying circles over 710sq km.

One of the first tasks at hand will be to neutralise the air power of the enemy. Once that is achieved Singapore will then be able to patrol the sea lanes unhindered to prevent a blockade of any sort.

You have to understand that a large part of Singapore's defense involves offense. We can't just sit back and allow artillery and missiles to rain down on the Island. Defense in depth will have to be achieved.