• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

migration to australia

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
can you share how you integrate to the life there and make australian friends and be assimilated to australian society

do you think of yourself today as an australian? what about your kids?

(i do not intend these questions to be intrusive. They are questions running through my mind now on what it means to migrate.)

I use food to illustrate ... this complex relationship. I am integrated into life. I have Australian friends, people I can call upon to help me water plants when I am away, etc. I consider myself Australian. My inner circle know me as Australian. But a Singapore tourist still see me as a Singaporean with a funny Singlish-Aussie accent.

It is a pretty strange thing ... I actually find Aussie office tea snacks quite alright ... the pasties and pies - with sauce. I still don't like vegemite.

I have a lot of asian food ... I bring my angmo colleagues to HK chinese restaurant and they ask if we are having indonesian food.

I learn how to hug my angmo female colleagues "properly", but shake hands with my more shy asian female ones ... but my asian female colleagues get hugged by the angmos.

I learnt to appreciate the Aussie Rules ... I sings Advance Australia Fair but remember Majullah Singapura. My Aussie colleagues ask me about my birth country. They ask me how often I communicate with my community. But at the same time, when they announced their appreciation at an after office drinks when they found out that I had renounced my SG citizenship. One jolly felle who worked in SG before ... threatened to send me back to Lee Kuan Yew. But he celebrate my new life as well.

I also realised that Australians are multi-cultured. In general, your best friend may be an Irish migrant or you may date a pretty Croatian-Australian girl. The way I treat the Chinese mainlanders are better than when I lived in SG.

jrbecker99

Alfrescian
Loyal
I use food to illustrate ... this complex relationship. I am integrated into life. I have Australian friends, people I can call upon to help me water plants when I am away, etc. I consider myself Australian. My inner circle know me as Australian. But a Singapore tourist still see me as a Singaporean with a funny Singlish-Aussie accent.

It is a pretty strange thing ... I actually find Aussie office tea snacks quite alright ... the pasties and pies - with sauce. I still don't like vegemite.

I have a lot of asian food ... I bring my angmo colleagues to HK chinese restaurant and they ask if we are having indonesian food.

I learn how to hug my angmo female colleagues "properly", but shake hands with my more shy asian female ones ... but my asian female colleagues get hugged by the angmos.

I learnt to appreciate the Aussie Rules ... I sings Advance Australia Fair but remember Majullah Singapura. My Aussie colleagues ask me about my birth country. They ask me how often I communicate with my community. But at the same time, when they announced their appreciation at an after office drinks when they found out that I had renounced my SG citizenship. One jolly felle who worked in SG before ... threatened to send me back to Lee Kuan Yew. But he celebrate my new life as well.

I also realised that Australians are multi-cultured. In general, your best friend may be an Irish migrant or you may date a pretty Croatian-Australian girl. The way I treat the Chinese mainlanders are better than when I lived in SG.

Neddy, you are the sort of migrant Australia wants. Good on you mate!

I was born in Penang. Came over to Sydney whilst i was still in my short pants.

I find Australians give every one a fair go. sure there are racists everywhere in the world, even in Australia but other Australians do not encourage them.

When Australians find that a migrant is willing to assimilate (not necessary give up their own cultures and beliefs) they love the new migrant.

so brothers out there who want to migrate write to me. I am a registered migration agent and a lawyer.

cantbeassed

Alfrescian
Loyal
australia is now one of the worse countries to migrate to. you need 150-200K min there and then your government cheats people in massive taxation and the worse housing affordability i have ever seen. when sydney is more expensive than new york and perth is comparable to london, australia is a disaster. only a moron would consider australia in 2008.

When so many are trying to get out of Australia, why are so many trying to get into Australia? The best place to stay in Australia is Tasmania, at least you have the devil to keep you company. :wink:

cantbeassed

Alfrescian
Loyal
Neddy, you are the sort of migrant Australia wants. Good on you mate!

I was born in Penang. Came over to Sydney whilst i was still in my short pants.

I find Australians give every one a fair go. sure there are racists everywhere in the world, even in Australia but other Australians do not encourage them.

When Australians find that a migrant is willing to assimilate (not necessary give up their own cultures and beliefs) they love the new migrant.

so brothers out there who want to migrate write to me. I am a registered migration agent and a lawyer.

Are you a registered migration agent in Australia?

creamong

Alfrescian
Loyal

Your angmoh friends like to hug asian female colleagues but shake hands with you? Why would those females allow that? Should be the other way round. :(

shockshiok

Alfrescian
Loyal
When so many are trying to get out of Australia, why are so many trying to get into Australia? The best place to stay in Australia is Tasmania, at least you have the devil to keep you company. :wink:

according to my migration agent the number of singaporeans applying to australia is down due to the terrible cost of living issues there. housing is in crisis and the laid back australia is gone foverever. now people are working 60 hours a week, two incomes are required to buy the median house, and the stress levels, traffic, and pollution in australia is terrible. people from the UK are still applying to australia, as is people from third world countries such as india. now australia's well known people are in the US as croc dundee is there cursing the australian tax office. he just called them bastards. the true situation in australia is indeed hell on earth.

sir cum-a-lot

Alfrescian
Loyal
can you share how you integrate to the life there and make australian friends and be assimilated to australian society

do you think of yourself today as an australian? what about your kids?

(i do not intend these questions to be intrusive. They are questions running through my mind now on what it means to migrate.)
i see australia very similiar to sg in many ways, the people that fill this land are majority descendants of early settlers & migrants. there's still a steady growth of new incoming migrants.

i may not be part of the generation that made australia what she is today, but i was also not part of the generation that made sg what she is today. we're a new generation, calling myself aussie is for nationality sake. looking back, i don't see any big difference if i call myself sgporean.

don't be fooled into thinking that aussies are all caucasians. oz is also made up of varied ethnicity, and asians are not confined to dwelling in chinatown only. we're all over the place. racial harmony is vibrant, ethnic cultures are also shared, so to better understand 1 another's beliefs & practices. fyi, some asians here celebrate songkran & loy kratong festival too, but on a smaller scale. so, i didn't see integration as a big problem at all, neither does my family.

all we're interested in is to have a better quality of life, and my concern as a father & husband is hoping that my family, kids & descendants have decent footing for many generations in future. bigger land, more opportunities to explore.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
creamong,
"Your angmoh friends like to hug asian female colleagues but shake hands with you? Why would those females allow that? Should be the other way round."
You got me wrong - among those asian female colleagues I am familiar with, I usually just shake hands with them (asian customs). But among those angmo female colleagues, it is the opposite, besides giving them hugs, I have to kiss their cheeks if I know them well. You have to engage small talks with them, etc etc (aussie customs)

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
jrbecker99,

Good to have a migration agent here, I hope you are MARA-registered agent.

I have encountered non-registered agents who made mistakes and delayed the migrant applications.

Australia is my adopted hometown, but I still get very good roti canal, penang assam laksa, char kuay teow and Ipoh sah hor fun - The best of both world.
But it is a pity that the taste of Singaporean food has changed in Singapore, so nothing great to mention here. But I make very good Hainanese Chook rice (chook poached for 1 hour type) and my Aunt still make the best kway chap.

Like any minority, just be positive and open to different cultures, we will be alright.

Last edited:

PaiAndPai

Alfrescian
Loyal
I heard the people there rather dislike chinese. Is it?

i think what you heard is true.
do you want to trust others or yourself?
if the former, yes, you will always heard stuffs about racism..
if latter, why would you believe what you heard, without trying it out for yourself?

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i think what you heard is true.
do you want to trust others or yourself?
if the former, yes, you will always heard stuffs about racism..
if latter, why would you believe what you heard, without trying it out for yourself?
I am quite racist towards Chinese too, and I am Aussie too.
I stick my middle finger at Pauline Hanson's deputy and he call me racist towards the white.
Racism - as long as different flocks of human gather, there will be racism.

But, OZ solution to racism is your human rights.

starless

Alfrescian
Loyal
Please note in good times, Racism will not raise its ugly head, when Aust economy start downturn and people get umeployed, guess who is the first they blame .... your own country is always the best. Your adopted country will never treat you as equal regardless if what you think ....

Given everything the same, preference is still same colour ....

Tuapehkong

Alfrescian
Loyal
I heard the people there rather dislike chinese. Is it?

Just came back from UK. Though the ppl don't show it outwardly, you can feel that the white look down on all colours. So sad.

Things are 3 times more expensive. How to live in this kind of condition?

As for freedom, what is there to talk if in the first place, you are being look down upon.

Other pls correct my perception. I am feeling it for myself.

Pele

Alfrescian
Loyal
from cantbeassed: Are you a registered migration agent in Australia?

yes i am, can i assist you?

What are the requirements nowadays?
Do you need to invest in property there or create jobs?

I believe you cun juz go there and work, right?

The_Latest_H

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well, I hope those who insist that racism is sooooo bad that you can't migrate here, or at least study here have actually studied here or lived here to tell the truth.

Because if they say they haven't, and that they only heard, and then made it seem that its really perverse, then perhaps I could say that they are rather misleading.

After all, I have said this before: If a country is not completely racist, and that the majority of locals are open-minded and friendly, then there's no reason- besides the financial costs- that a consideration to move down under for work and long term immigration should be ruled out.

I mean, I'm not recommending anyone to move to a country that's COMPLETELY racist.

Besides if one hasn't lived here at all, and can only claimed because he heard from some who didn't manage to adapt here for several reasons, then he isn't getting the full picture. Also, if you don't interact with local whites and the blacks, and always think that they are always looking at you, then obviously you would feel that they are doing it for racist reasons.

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
australia is now one of the worse countries to migrate to. you need 150-200K min there and then your government cheats people in massive taxation and the worse housing affordability i have ever seen. when sydney is more expensive than new york and perth is comparable to london, australia is a disaster. only a moron would consider australia in 2008.

Thank you. I am alive and kicking in Melbourne ! yahhooo !!

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Please note in good times, Racism will not raise its ugly head, when Aust economy start downturn and people get umeployed, guess who is the first they blame .... your own country is always the best. Your adopted country will never treat you as equal regardless if what you think ....

Given everything the same, preference is still same colour ....

Yup ! The Australian racist me by offering me higher salary package... I am joining a new organisation after Melbourne Cup Day.. Yipppeeee.. bloody Australian makes me bloody lazy (again) :smile: