• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Medini (Nusajaya) Community

mpan12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore has got much more lift robberies that I am ashamed to list. But a good thing the SPF has installed much more CCTVs at the expenses of taxpayers monies to do the job for them.

I have read of more grim news from Singapore crimes. A lady coming home was beaten and robbed, dragged outside to the corridor and raped. Left to die

Another lady was waiting for lift at 2am while a man come from behind and hammered her. While she fainted, the man dragged her into the back of the block and rape her. All these captured in CCTVs. But the SPF is kind smart enuff to protect Singapore reputation as a safe hub where everyone sleep with their HDB doors widely open

Singapore got more lift robberies compared to which city here? JB? I don't remember any report doing a formal study on this.

Definitely, there will be crimes everywhere. I don't think even the most peaceful place on Earth is 100% free from crime. I haven't heard of any city where there is no police cos the crime rate is zero.

But it is an indisputable fact that it is a lot safer in Singapore than JB. Can't argue on this one.

I think only very few cities like Singapore are fit to use the phrase "LOW crime does not mean no crime". For sure, one is more likely to get robbed in JB in broad daylight without wearing jewellery than to walk around with jewellery in Singapore at night.

Last edited:

mpan12

Alfrescian
Loyal
In my view, JB is now a better place to live in than before, with the guarded and gated developments. There will always be risks, we just have to manage it. Even in Singapore people will install high end security systems. Why? Not too difficult to understand. Low crime does not mean no crime. In fact, with 6.9m people it may be that more crimes will be reported, perhaps even more go unreported. Not to make light of the crime situation in JB, but I heard from a law firm clerk who moved from KL to JB that actually KL even more dangerous than JB. People are spooked when reports of JB crimes get circulated and thus the perception is formed that the place is crime - ridden. It may be exaggerated for all you know.

I'm not saying there is no crime at all in Singapore. What I was pointing out is the parts of Iskandar that are developing now may not be as safe as many assumed. JB's safety may have improved but I don't know how true, cos I still read many reports of crimes and know of friends or friends of friends who have at least once been robbed, have their belongings stolen or whose homes broken into. So fair to say it's far from convincingly safe.

I've heard some say Iskandar is like the "new" Johor. More modern and SAFER. I'd like to caution people when they bang on their luck like that. In fact, safety, among many other factors, is definitely one aspect that determines whether or not people will be ready or attracted to move over to live in JB. For the next few decades, I don't see that possibility which many investors blatantly assumed. And so they rushed in to buy properties hoping that they will experience a "Boom" cos a lot of Singaporeans will cross over to live in Iskandar. That's at best an untested assumption.

I've briefly browsed through the other forums here and when you read the questions they asked there, you will know they have not done much homework. They bought one or even 2,3 (*gasp*!) condos and then start asking: Do you all know how's the rental so far? Can cover my costs? That's like putting the cart before the horse.

It's still best to note: Iskandar is part of Johor, Johor is part of Malaysia. Anything that has happened to Malaysia as a whole, it will continue as such in general. For eg, if you think Malaysia's shopping is cheap, yes, Iskandar is likely that way. If you feel racial riots can happen in KL or JB, yes, it can happen in Iskandar too. Not now, but maybe one day. If you feel unsafe walking alone in JB now, yes, Iskandar could be like that once your condos are completed. If rental amount is pathetic in JB now by Singapore's standard, yes, Iskandar could be like that too or very likely worse, due to the over supply.

Just don't assume because Iskandar is so near Singapore, and because Singapore has been so successful, in terms of our economy, education, top world-ranking standing, strong government, rich nation, almost corruption-free politics, very safe city, etc, Iskandar will also be like that.

The bottom line is, whatever one's plans are with investing or living in Iskandar, as long as they work well, that's fine. The worrying thing is, many do not consider the REAL possibilities but simply assumed. And whatever they have assumed without strong possibility or evidence, will work against them. If they have still not realised it now, they eventually will, when their properties are ready and they have started paying their monthly loans. The pain may come from then on.

Bubble

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm not saying there is no crime at all in Singapore. What I was pointing out is the parts of Iskandar that are developing now may not be as safe as many assumed. JB's safety may have improved but I don't know how true, cos I still read many reports of crimes and know of friends or friends of friends who have at least once been robbed, have their belongings stolen or whose homes broken into. So fair to say it's far from convincingly safe.

I've heard some say Iskandar is like the "new" Johor. More modern and SAFER. I'd like to caution people when they bang on their luck like that. In fact, safety, among many other factors, is definitely one aspect that determines whether or not people will be ready or attracted to move over to live in JB. For the next few decades, I don't see that possibility which many investors blatantly assumed. And so they rushed in to buy properties hoping that they will experience a "Boom" cos a lot of Singaporeans will cross over to live in Iskandar. That's at best an untested assumption.

I've briefly browsed through the other forums here and when you read the questions they asked there, you will know they have not done much homework. They bought one or even 2,3 (*gasp*!) condos and then start asking: Do you all know how's the rental so far? Can cover my costs? That's like putting the cart before the horse.

It's still best to note: Iskandar is part of Johor, Johor is part of Malaysia. Anything that has happened to Malaysia as a whole, it will continue as such in general. For eg, if you think Malaysia's shopping is cheap, yes, Iskandar is likely that way. If you feel racial riots can happen in KL or JB, yes, it can happen in Iskandar too. Not now, but maybe one day. If you feel unsafe walking alone in JB now, yes, Iskandar could be like that once your condos are completed. If rental amount is pathetic in JB now by Singapore's standard, yes, Iskandar could be like that too or very likely worse, due to the over supply.

Just don't assume because Iskandar is so near Singapore, and because Singapore has been so successful, in terms of our economy, education, top world-ranking standing, strong government, rich nation, almost corruption-free politics, very safe city, etc, Iskandar will also be like that.

The bottom line is, whatever one's plans are with investing or living in Iskandar, as long as they work well, that's fine. The worrying thing is, many do not consider the REAL possibilities but simply assumed. And whatever they have assumed without strong possibility or evidence, will work against them. If they have still not realised it now, they eventually will, when their properties are ready and they have started paying their monthly loans. The pain may come from then on.

INTERESTING WRITE

IF LKY HAD YOUR KIND OF THINKING SINGAPORE CAN NEVER BE AS WHAT IT IS NOW

DID LKY REALLY THINK THAT PEOPLE WOULD TAKE UP LAND AND BRING THEIR BUSINESS OVER A MUDLAND HERE OR DID HE WAITED FOR 'assumptions be tested first,if there is such word lol

mpan12

Alfrescian
Loyal
INTERESTING WRITE

IF LKY HAD YOUR KIND OF THINKING SINGAPORE CAN NEVER BE AS WHAT IT IS NOW

DID LKY REALLY THINK THAT PEOPLE WOULD TAKE UP LAND AND BRING THEIR BUSINESS OVER A MUDLAND HERE OR DID HE WAITED FOR 'assumptions be tested first,if there is such word lol

You talked so loudly but you missed a very important point. Well, actually, you have proved a point I've been making all along.

Is there an LKY in Iskandar? We are talking about Malaysia here. :smile:

So don't fall into the trap of thinking Iskandar's market will follow Singapore's because of their sheer physical closeness with each other.

freekazoid

Alfrescian
Loyal
mahatma-gandhi-success-quote.jpg

Iskandar is transitioning between They Laugh to They Fight stage :smile: What do you think?

Bubble

Alfrescian
Loyal
You talked so loudly but you missed a very important point. Well, actually, you have proved a point I've been making all along.

Is there an LKY in Iskandar? We are talking about Malaysia here. :smile:

So don't fall into the trap of thinking Iskandar's market will follow Singapore's because of their sheer physical closeness with each other.

LKY did not bring Singapore to succes by himself but with support of others-the people.

So we don't need LKY per se...but the people

Islander can become successful or otherwise...but by the look of it,it's good one way,upwards .the issue is at what speed.

Don't mind and don't take it personally,we are only having intellectual discourse.

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
LKY did not bring Singapore to succes by himself but with support of others-the people.

Islander can become successful or otherwise...but by the look of it,it's good one way,upwards .the issue is at what speed.

Don't mind and don't take it personally,we are only having intellectual discourse.

Agreed,

You cannot go any further downwards after it hit bottom. The only way is up, whatever the rate.

mpan12

Alfrescian
Loyal

No... Why would I take it personally? I like such discussions cos I can see how people think and I also get to learn in the process.

LKY DID play a crucial role. He was n exceptional leader. Without an excellent leader, how do you get people to support?

With Iskandar I'm not so sure. Is there really a good government or leader? I don't think so. The authorities don't even care about planning the residential properties properly. The politics is shaky and messy. And they even mentioned Iskandar is not meant for property investment as first priority.

Read this quote below from an article:

“You have to be fair to Iskandar, as housing was never part of its main draft. The crux of its investment was more on services, hospitality and manufacturing, as well as allocations for small- and medium-sized enterprises. The investments we are interested in are not housing, and this is why we have called in Pinewood and Legoland to Iskandar,” shared the senior UMNO lawmaker.

“That is the main investment strategy, but because of all these, foreign developers think there is a demand for their properties, and that is not happening. This is what’s happening, and they have to live with it. If they are willing to take the risk, then we can’t stop them,” he added.

How to get support from intelligent buyers? The UMNO fellas are only interested in making money from whatever investments that come in. That explains why the oversupply of residential properties is so bad now. I don't think it will even be solved within 15-20 years.

Iskandar may be developing but that does not mean as a property investor, you are making money. This difference has to be appreciated and understood well.

Last edited: