• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Mandarin Oranges

Claire

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well, CNY is over. I opened the refrigerator this morning to get my celery and green apples for masticating ∼ Lo and Behold!!! ∼ there are more than a dozen of these Mandarin oranges in there!

I am not a fan of Mandarin oranges (though I do eat regular oranges originating from US and ANZ). I believe I had not eaten a Mandarin orange for years. I remember when I was a young kid, my mum would refuse to allow me to consume them as I always develop a bad cough during CNY period. I guess that's probably the reason why I have never develop a "liking" for such China fruit!

I was chatting with a colleague about this a while ago and he said in the ancestral days in China, only the Emperor and nobility can afford to consume Mandarin oranges! Haha, I think he is deranged. :smile:

Now, I am wondering what to do with these ugly looking China oranges.

Anyone has any idea whether I can masticate them like regular oranges? Will it taste awful?

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
welcome back sister! i won't suggest masticating mandarins like navel oranges. they are best consumed slice by slice by peeling. the peels can be saved for adding flavor to soup desserts such as red bean or mun bean soup. moreover, i enjoy removing the gobs of fiber by fingering them. :p

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I hate chink oranges! They suck compared to top grade ang mor oranges like Cara Cara. You try Cara Cara once, and you will never go back to chink oranges again.

cara-cara-in-hand-3.jpg

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
With most leftover foods, I toss it to the dog. But for fruits and veggies, I doubt if it'll devour it with the enthusiasm of meats, or pizza (his favourite). Dog is sneaky, one evening, he jumped onto the coffee table and finished two tins of hae-bee hiam!And mde a complete mess of his meal. Damn! That's the only CNY tidhbit that goes with beer! He's not having any beer for that!

Cheers!

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Anyone has any idea whether I can masticate them like regular oranges? Will it taste awful?

For sure you can my dear. It'll be very sweet for your mixed juice. Please be careful though mandarin oranges are considered heaty, too much you may get pimples :p. Gong Xi FA Cai.

Claire

Alfrescian
Loyal
welcome back sister! i won't suggest masticating mandarins like navel oranges. they are best consumed slice by slice by peeling. the peels can be saved for adding flavor to soup desserts such as red bean or mun bean soup. moreover, i enjoy removing the gobs of fiber by fingering them. :p

Thank you 大哥哥。:smile:

You are as sweet as ever with your precise description. Notty boy :smile:

Claire

Alfrescian
Loyal
I hate chink oranges! They suck compared to top grade ang mor oranges like Cara Cara. You try Cara Cara once, and you will never go back to chink oranges again.

cara-cara-in-hand-3.jpg

Hello John. How have you been?

Never tried Cara Cara. Is it sweet, bitter or sour?

Claire

Alfrescian
Loyal
For sure you can my dear. It'll be very sweet for your mixed juice. Please be careful though mandarin oranges are considered heaty, too much you may get pimples :p. Gong Xi FA Cai.

Hello Froggy. Are you sure you can masticate Mandarin oranges?

Wishing you good health too :smile:

tictactoe

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hi Claire, I've been okay but the butt is still swollen from the pounding you gave me and I did not like the chilli padi you shoved up my asshole. Tonight will be my turn to put something in your poop chute, then you will know what Cara Cara is.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Hi Claire. I am doing fine. I hope you are happy too.

Cara Cara is sweet, unlike quite a number of navel oranges which tend to be sour. It also has pink flesh like grapefruit, but Cara Cara is a hybrid between two different types of navel oranges. It's a seasonal fruit, and you can get it between November through April.

fupikee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Mandarin oranges are actually not bad at all. Not all come from China and I too bought others that come from Pakistan as well. They are juicy and sweet when relatively fresh and kept properly in the fridge. Those that are left unrefrigerated in the open for a few weeks may become dry and then unappetising to eat.

If you are not keen to eat them piece by piece, those that are left over from CNY (not dried out ones) can be used for juicing or mixing with other fruits and vegetables to balance out the taste of other fruits. Good boost to vitamin C and also plenty or anti oxidants in the mix. One two glasses a day, all the left over mandarins will be gone in less than one week.

Claire

Alfrescian
Loyal
Mandarin oranges are actually not bad at all. Not all come from China and I too bought others that come from Pakistan as well. They are juicy and sweet when relatively fresh and kept properly in the fridge. Those that are left unrefrigerated in the open for a few weeks may become dry and then unappetising to eat.

If you are not keen to eat them piece by piece, those that are left over from CNY (not dried out ones) can be used for juicing or mixing with other fruits and vegetables to balance out the taste of other fruits. Good boost to vitamin C and also plenty or anti oxidants in the mix. One two glasses a day, all the left over mandarins will be gone in less than one week.

Thank you Fup. I hope the seeds are not poisonous like apple seeds. I am just afraid the masticated seeds will make the juice bitter :(

fupikee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thank you Fup. I hope the seeds are not poisonous like apple seeds. I am just afraid the masticated seeds will make the juice bitter :(

If you juice them, you will not see the seeds as it has been crushed and squeezed dry. Mixed with the rest of the juice and other fruits, any bitter taste of the seeds will be gone as it is very little of it in comparison.

If you put them in a mixer, alone or combined with other fruits, same results. Taste of bitterness will not manifest itself. I have no problem with the taste of seeds when I mix the mandarin oranges with other fruits.

Besides, seeds may provide some more nutrients or minerals. In any case, some people even recommended adding the skins of fruits like oranges or bananas together in mixing as it too contain additional nutrients and minerals. For me, skins are off when mixing bananas, oranges, avocadoes. So actually the seeds do not really count much in the scheme of things.

Happy juicing or mixing as this is the quickest way to get nutrients into the body (only thing is, drink it up immediately when juiced or mixed, don't keep it in bottle and put in fridge as some nutrients will then be lost).

Ralders

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well, CNY is over. I opened the refrigerator this morning to get my celery and green apples for masticating ∼ Lo and Behold!!! ∼ there are more than a dozen of these Mandarin oranges in there!

I am not a fan of Mandarin oranges (though I do eat regular oranges originating from US and ANZ). I believe I had not eaten a Mandarin orange for years. I remember when I was a young kid, my mum would refuse to allow me to consume them as I always develop a bad cough during CNY period. I guess that's probably the reason why I have never develop a "liking" for such China fruit!

I was chatting with a colleague about this a while ago and he said in the ancestral days in China, only the Emperor and nobility can afford to consume Mandarin oranges! Haha, I think he is deranged. :smile:

Do u know where ah meng is ?

Claire

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you juice them, you will not see the seeds as it has been crushed and squeezed dry. Mixed with the rest of the juice and other fruits, any bitter taste of the seeds will be gone as it is very little of it in comparison.

If you put them in a mixer, alone or combined with other fruits, same results. Taste of bitterness will not manifest itself. I have no problem with the taste of seeds when I mix the mandarin oranges with other fruits.

Besides, seeds may provide some more nutrients or minerals. In any case, some people even recommended adding the skins of fruits like oranges or bananas together in mixing as it too contain additional nutrients and minerals. For me, skins are off when mixing bananas, oranges, avocadoes. So actually the seeds do not really count much in the scheme of things.

Happy juicing or mixing as this is the quickest way to get nutrients into the body (only thing is, drink it up immediately when juiced or mixed, don't keep it in bottle and put in fridge as some nutrients will then be lost).

Thanks Fup :smile:

I will try with some of these oranges tonight. Perhaps, I should mix them with some carrots. Hopefully, it will turn out well :smile:

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Welcome back, Claire! Happy CNY!