• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Manchester United Season 2010-11

jw5

Loyal
I am not so optimistic.

I felt sad that Man U still need to depend on 37-yo Giggs to deliver the killer pass / cross.

Even if they sign a top drawer replacement this season, which they ought to, it will take 1 - 2 season for him to bed in.

Where is the replacement for Giggs??

There is no replacement for Giggs, he's one of the greatest players to ever play the game, not just for Man Utd.
What Man Utd need to do is to get one creative midfielder to try and replicate what Scholes brings to the team.
They also need a top class keeper (rumours are that a deal for David De Gea is already done) and a top central defender to replace Ferdinand, who is not dependable due to fitness.
The rest of the team is ok, they will get Welbeck and Cleverly back from loan.

jw5

Loyal
Agree. I can't imagine a Man Utd team without Giggsy. I think they tried to sign Di Maria last season but the player chose REAL. For now, they are happy to play Valencia on the right and Nani on the left. I dun think they will ever find another player like Giggs in the academy. Yes, they should find a suitable replacement for Giggs asap.

The sad news is that Scholes may retire at the end of the season. There is no one in the current squad that can shoot and pass like Scholes. Carrick and Darron Gibson are rubbish.

Carrick has been in good form recently. He is not a great playmaker, but he does a good job as a defensive midfielder, breaking up attacks and starting the play. He seldom plays the killer ball or the incisive pass, but he's adequate at his position.
Seems to play better with Giggs than with Fletcher and Scholes, who perhaps replicate what Carrick is good at.

Gibson has not progressed, think he will be sold. He's now just a long range shooter, and the game frequently bypasses him.

Gallego99

Alfrescian
Loyal
Carrick has been in good form recently. He is not a great playmaker, but he does a good job as a defensive midfielder, breaking up attacks and starting the play. He seldom plays the killer ball or the incisive pass, but he's adequate at his position.
Seems to play better with Giggs than with Fletcher and Scholes, who perhaps replicate what Carrick is good at.

Gibson has not progressed, think he will be sold. He's now just a long range shooter, and the game frequently bypasses him.

Carrick's form was just good for the last two games. He loses possession too easily at times and his distribution is anything but par. He was dubbed the master passer by SAF and seriously had only 1 good season for United.
You're right. Scholes, Fletcher and Carrick do play similar roles but in all fairness, Carrick's defensive instincts are a lot better than Fletcher.

Gibson passes the ball sideways or backwards and he certainly does not have an adventurous attacking streak in him. He complains frequently about his team mates marking, raising his hands in resignation. In one of the games, it riled SAF so much that the gaffer took him off the next minute.

I read somewhere the club has not renewed his contract. Like Owen, I guess he will be shown the exit at the end of the season. It's a pity, Hargreaves may never get to play again.

Gallego99

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sorry but our fierce rival Barcelona will end your european dream if we don't beat them. :biggrin:
If United play Barca, they will win it. I am quite certain the winner of CL will be the team in this half of the draw.

Barca dun play well away from home.

D

Dodomeki

City lose Tevez for FA Cup semi-final
14 April 2011

12427230030.jpg

Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini admits the absence of Carlos Tevez for Saturday's FA Cup semi-final with Manchester United has come as a huge blow for his side.

Mancini confirmed on Thursday that Tevez could miss the next four weeks with a hamstring injury - at a time when City are not only fighting for their first trophy in 35 years, but also to finish in the top four in the English Premier League.

The club's hopes of finishing in the Champions League places were dented on Monday night after being thumped 3-0 by Liverpool - and Tevez limped off in that match with an injury that now rules him out of Saturday's derby.

"Tevez is not available for Saturday. I think he will recover in three or four weeks. It is a big problem but we can't take any risks," Mancini said.

"We have six games left and hopefully we can get Carlos back for the last two or three games."

The Argentina striker, City's top scorer, could be fit in time for the FA Cup final if Manchester City get there, with either Stoke or Bolton the opponents at Wembley.

Mancini will have to rely on either Edin Dzeko or Mario Balotelli to shoulder the goalscoring burden in Tevez's absence.

"I still have to decide what to do. But both players know this is an important chance for them," Mancini said.

"Every player knows this is an important moment for the club. If we will we can go to a final, so every player will give 100 percent."

Mancini has had to fight off speculation regarding his job at Eastlands and there have been reports that he could be sacked if City fail to finish in the top four.

But he insists everyone at the club should be content as he looks towards the Wembley showdown with rivals United.

"We should be happy at the moment as it's the first time in a long time are in the semi-final. We have a good chance of this and the Champions League," Mancini said.

"The fans should be happy for this situation and for this game. We need to focus on this game and we need to understand it is very important. If we play well, we can get to the final."

"United are in good form. They are very strong but I am not worried about this game - I am sure we will play well."

Gallego99

Alfrescian
Loyal
There goes the treble. It would be difficult even winning a single trophy if they continue to play the way they did. Blame must also be put on old fart for selecting the team. He should have rested Rio and played Smalling who is definitely the speedier of the two and save the former for the league clash with Newcastle.

Well, what can say about Carrick:oIo:. He has made similar mistakes in the past months that it finally caught up with him.

United were short on ideas and the performance was to put it succinctly-FLAT!!! They deserved it.:mad:

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Truth be told, euphoria after last couple of stunts can put fans on diff planet with stratospheric expectations of treble. :rolleyes:

That Carrick bloke (never quite a fan of him) committed harakiri. Wasn't the enemy's goal posts in opposite direction?! Toure's was sublime after, between VDS legs. Oh Scholey..your eyesight never the same after ops awhile back. Karma for pre-match bad mouthing?:rolleyes:

And Berbi, sitters??

Last edited:

Gallego99

Alfrescian
Loyal
Once they start thrash talking, you can bet your last dollar they will lose. The ones who win titles are those who let their feet do the talking on the field.

jw5

Loyal
Once they start thrash talking, you can bet your last dollar they will lose. The ones who win titles are those who let their feet do the talking on the field.

Fergie stayed in London to cheer on Liverpool against Arsenal after the semi final debacle. :biggrin:

Gallego99

Alfrescian
Loyal
Fergie stayed in London to cheer on Liverpool against Arsenal after the semi final debacle. :biggrin:

He had tea with Harry Redknapp before the match coz Arse is gonna play their London rival this Wednesday.

Arsenal is probably the most unbelievably stupid team I have ever seen in my life. A couple of seasons ago it was Gael Clichy and now Eboue. Tsk,tsk.... If United wins the EPL, it is not that we are good but the rest is even more farkup. :biggrin:

D

Dodomeki

Premier League preview: Newcastle v Manchester United

19 April 2011

12427231290.jpg

Manchester United will be looking to consolidate their lead at the top of the English Premier League when they travel to Newcastle on Tuesday.

Sir Alex Ferguson's men will be eager to redeem their 1-0 loss in the FA Cup semi-finals to bitter rivals Manchester City on Saturday, which ended their hopes of capturing their first treble since 1999.

The Red Devils will be facing the Magpies for the first time since they claimed a 3-0 victory on the season's opening day.

Midfielder Paul Scholes is serving a three-match ban for his reckless challenge against City, but Manchester United will be buoyed by the return of the mercurial Wayne Rooney from a two-game FA suspension at St James' Park.

Ferguson has plenty of attacking options, with Portuguese winger Nani, league-leading goal scorer Dimitar Berbatov and Mexican marvel Javier Hernandez all available and enjoying fine spells of form.

Manchester United manager Ferguson underlined the importance of the clash with Newcastle, despite second-placed Arsenal dropping two points against Liverpool on Sunday.

"For me Newcastle is the important one," he said.

"After Newcastle away and then Everton at home there are only four league games left. Then we go to Arsenal the following week."

"Newcastle is a crucial game. We’ve had some fantastic and high-scoring games up there, and we’ve had some great results."

The Magpies lost their previous league match to struggling Aston Villa 1-0 and have won only one of their last five domestic encounters in what has been a barren 2011 so far.

But having had the weekend off, Alan Pardew's men will be hopeful the break will tip proceedings in their favour against a Manchester United side which had its ego dented on Saturday and is also dealing with the rigours of the Champions League.

They will, however, be without influential skipper Kevin Nolan, who is serving a ban for picking up his tenth yellow card of the season.

Striker Shola Ameobi is also unlikely to feature, but on-loan Stephen Ireland - targeting a permanent deal or loan extension at Newcastle - is expected to be in the mix after making a full recovery from injury.

Newcastle's home form has been dismal this season, having won only five of their 16 games so far.

The Geordies are relatively safe from the prospect of dropping back into the Championship at the first time of asking, but will be wary of a late-season slip-up, given they are sitting just six points off the relegation zone.

D

Dodomeki

United stalemate keeps title race alive

Updated April 20, 2011 07:47:00

r754499_6285917.jpg

Manchester United striker Javier Hernandez is beaten to the ball by Newcastle keeper Tim Krul. (AFP: Paul Ellis)

Manchester United's title charge was slowed after a 0-0 draw at a determined Newcastle United on Wednesday morning, missing the chance to move nine points clear at the top of the Premier League standings.

United, back in action after being sent tumbling out of the FA Cup by rivals Manchester City in the semi-finals on Saturday, could not break down a resolute Newcastle backline.

The home side dominated possession for large parts of the match at St James Park with Peter Lovenkrands squandering their best opening with a header in the first half.

United, which showed some signs of a cup hangover, had chances to break the deadlock with Javier Hernandez going close and Wayne Rooney and Ryan Giggs guilty of bad misses.

The game ended in controversy as the visitors appealed for a penalty when Hernandez fell under the challenge of Danny Simpson but referee Lee Probert gave the Mexico striker a yellow card for a dive.

"It was a clear penalty," Ferguson told Sky Sports.

"It is an insult because he has booked him. The referee has had a good game tonight, but he lets himself down by booking the player. There is definite contact, there is no doubt about that."

Newcastle manager Alan Pardew disagreed with his counterpart, saying Lovenkrands' penalty appeals carried much more weight.

"Danny sticks a leg out, which is dangerous, but he didn't touch the guy, he definitely dived and was looking for it," Pardew said.

"I'd like to praise the referee, he was very brave there. United are pushing at the end, looking for a late goal and history, so there's pressure there.

"The Lovenkrands one was a sitter. It was a story of two penalties: one that definitely was for us, and one that wasn't for them."

United now has 70 points from 33 games, seven points above second-placed Arsenal and nine ahead of Chelsea although the London sides both have a game in hand.

Arsenal visit fifth-placed rivals Tottenham Hotspur on Thursday morning when Chelsea host struggling Birmingham City.

"We are in a better position than we were in on Saturday. We have one game less and we are in the same position with Arsenal and five games left," Ferguson added.

Manchester United, which has now won only five of its 17 away games in the league this season, could have taken the lead in under two minutes when Hernandez latched onto a low cross from Rooney but his close-range effort was smothered by goalkeeper Tim Krul.

Newcastle's hopes of getting a first home win against United since 2001, showed early promise with Jonas Gutierrez, Joey Barton and Shola Ameobi all failing to take their chances.

The best opportunity of the half, however, fell to Rooney - restored to the side after serving a two-match ban for swearing into a TV Camera - when he burst through the middle but lifted his shot over the bar with just the keeper to beat.

Lovenkrands wasted Newcastle's best chance when he headed a Barton cross wide from 10 metres.

Newcastle had appeals for a penalty turned down after the break when Lovenkrands was tripped by Anderson on the edge of the area before Giggs somehow miscued from eight metres with the goal gaping midway through the second half.

The result moves Newcastle above Aston Villa to ninth on goal difference with 40 points from 33 games.

Gallego99

Alfrescian
Loyal
Opportunity to shut out the competition yet again. If they slip up this weekend, they're really dun deserve to win EPL. For fark sake Fergie, get your selection right!!!:mad:

Manuel Neuer

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
He will let in 3 goals when he finds out what Man Yoo has to offer. They always do.:biggrin:

Neuer for Bayern?

22 April 2011

12427232110.jpg

Germany goalkeeper Manuel Neuer is expected to move from Schalke to Bundesliga rivals Bayern Munich at the end of the season.

Schalke captain Neuer, 25, has confirmed that he will not be signing an extension to his contract with the Gelsenkirchen outfit.

His current deal expires in 2012, meaning Schalke will be forced to sell one of their prized assets for a cut-price or accept losing him for nothing when his contract runs out.

"I wanted to be honest and explain my decision," Neuer said.

"I want to develop further and take a new big step in my career."

"I want to continue playing in the Champions League, at the highest level."

"I know this is not a great moment for Schalke fans, but I am a professional footballer and I am looking from a different perspective."

"It is clear some fans will be upset."

Neuer had been heavily linked with a move to replace retiring Dutchman Edwin van der Sar at English Premier League leaders Manchester United.

But he is now tipped to remain in Germany with Schalke's fierce rivals Bayern.

Newspaper Bild claims the goalkeeper has agreed a four-year deal at the Allianz Arena, with the transfer fee rumoured to be approximately 17 million pounds.