• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Manchester United Season 2009-10

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Seriously we are on the decline, we need to get new good players, if dun get Fabiano, we have no chance at winning the league at all, wake up SAF :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Wake up, there's no point winning the league or anything by becoming another Inter Milan.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Why dun you say Real Madrid better? :p:p:p

Real Madrid no match for Inter Milan (yet). Total foreign players with foreign manager. Italian club Inter Milan won ECL. Name me one Italian player. The closest next is Arsenal.

jw5

Loyal
It'll be interesting to see how Inter Milan perform next season.
Italian champions, European champions, new manager in Rafael Benitez.
My prediction is that they will retain their domestic title but they will be knocked down before the semi finals in champions league.

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Real Madrid no match for Inter Milan (yet). Total foreign players with foreign manager. Italian club Inter Milan won ECL. Name me one Italian player. The closest next is Arsenal.
Please lah, you want Man U to stay as it is? or pluck up from the youth team and hope they win the League? I'm not saying buy all foreign players what... LOL

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
unfortunately, thats the way it is. Man U have to buy foreign - the way the league is run both England and in Europe, the importance & prestige of winning exceeds the greater aim of grooming local talents.

I don't know if the Premier League is going to impose the foreign player quota but if me playing Football Manager is of any relevance, they have the home-grown talent / train in UK restriction, I stand to be corrected on this point. Whereas in Italian League, there is no such restriction - and their work permit regulations is more lax (in fact none I think).

In any case, there are difficulties in implementing the local vs foreign players restriction because given the liberal movements allowed under EU regulations, doing this will be contravening the constitutions.

It boils down to individual manager & club to do it. I cannot imagine Man U or Liverpool or Arsenal to give the mandate to their managers to ok, you can groom local talent and field a team of no more than 3 non-UK players. Nevermind if you get relegated or if the wage bill hits the ceiling. Typical reasons will be - talented English players are few (and very expensive). And if you look at the England team's performance, I wouldn't want half of them at the top tier of the competition.

It is money and potential TV and gates receipt....it is not going to get any better.

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It'll be interesting to see how Inter Milan perform next season.
Italian champions, European champions, new manager in Rafael Benitez.
My prediction is that they will retain their domestic title but they will be knocked down before the semi finals in champions league.

===

Rafa has a knack in handling European games. I think the opposite, they will flop domestically. He needs to change the team anyways as I foresee some players will leave. And he needs to tune them to his way of playing.

And if his reign at Liverpool is anything to go by, his tactics will be bizzarre...signing the wrong players perhaps? ha ha...

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Please lah, you want Man U to stay as it is? or pluck up from the youth team and hope they win the League? I'm not saying buy all foreign players what... LOL

Trophies are good and should be aimed for, but Manchester United don't need trophies per se to be a great club in its tradition. It's the tradition that's the bedrock of their greatness; trophies are just guild edges.

In the 1958 Munich air disaster, most of Manchester United backbone players were wiped out. Manchester United were still the best supported club in the world. In 1975-76, Manchester United was relegated to the old Second Division, they were still the best supported club in the world. From return to the old First Division in 1976-77 to 1991-92, Manchester United won zero league title, they were still the best supported club in the world.

Destroy that tradition in search of trophies, the trophies shall become as meaningless as Singapore winning table tennis world championship.

aurvandil

Alfrescian
Loyal
Unfortunately no more EPL this season unless you are willing to pay ransom. It will be a serious political issue once WC ends and the reality of no EPL sinks in.

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
From return to the old First Division in 1976-77 to 1991-92, Manchester United won zero league title, they were still the best supported club in the world.
When you said they are the best supported club in the world, you mean during 1976-77 to 1991-92? I seriously doubt so...... been through tough times with them in the 80s, always kenna mocked by the Scousers fans, not many around me are Man U fans wor....

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
When you said they are the best supported club in the world, you mean during 1976-77 to 1991-92? I seriously doubt so...... been through tough times with them in the 80s, always kenna mocked by the Scousers fans, not many around me are Man U fans wor....

Yes, mocked through late 70s through mid 80s during the Liverpool dominance from Bill Shankly to Bob Paisley, from Kevin Keegan to Kenny Dalglish. Yes, they won most of the trophies during that era.

However, the true test of supporters come during these downtimes. Where were Chelsea fans in the 80s (rampant today)? Where are Newcastle United fans now (rampant in the 90s)? Only left those in London and Newcastle, local fans, no worldwide support once they stopped hitting the tops. Manchester United is household name worldwide and their jerseys are bestsellers original or pirated worldwide for decades whether up or down.

I'm not saying winning trophies isn't important. It is, but winning, not buying.

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes, mocked through late 70s through mid 80s during the Liverpool dominance from Bill Shankly to Bob Paisley, from Kevin Keegan to Kenny Dalglish. Yes, they won most of the trophies during that era.

However, the true test of supporters come during these downtimes. Where were Chelsea fans in the 80s (rampant today)? Where are Newcastle United fans now (rampant in the 90s)? Only left those in London and Newcastle, local fans, no worldwide support once they stopped hitting the tops. Manchester United is household name worldwide and their jerseys are bestsellers original or pirated worldwide for decades whether up or down.

I'm not saying winning trophies isn't important. It is, but winning, not buying.
To me, anyone who started to suppport Man U after their 1998 season campaign (or maybe earlier) are not considered True Red Devil fans, they are called jumping wagons hooligans :biggrin::biggrin:

I'm not saying we should buy many foreign talented players in, but we need 1-2 good ones. If you look at Man U squad right now, how many of them can really play? Maybe i got high standard, but only Fletcher and Rooney are good enough to wear Man U shirt..... the rest?? :biggrin::biggrin: old old.... young young.... inexperience inexperience... weak weak.......

i also wish we can have UK players, like Gibbs, Ramsey, Young, Milner, but we dun have lor.....

jw5

Loyal
Whenever someone tells me he is a Leeds United fan, I can guess he's at least 50 years old.
Whenever someone tells me he is a Chelsea fan, I can guess he just starting watching football less than 10 years ago.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
To me, anyone who started to suppport Man U after their 1998 season campaign (or maybe earlier) are not considered True Red Devil fans, they are called jumping wagons hooligans :biggrin::biggrin:

True. Who needs fairweather supporters? To be fair, Liverpool is the other club with persistent and unwavering support in all weathers. That's why all Manchester United versus Liverpool games are so special.

I'm not saying we should buy many foreign talented players in, but we need 1-2 good ones. If you look at Man U squad right now, how many of them can really play? Maybe i got high standard, but only Fletcher and Rooney are good enough to wear Man U shirt..... the rest?? :biggrin::biggrin: old old.... young young.... inexperience inexperience... weak weak.......

Problem number one, who's to replace Sir Alex Ferguson? He's done a fabulous job, lengendary indeed. But everyone has his time to go.

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Problem number one, who's to replace Sir Alex Ferguson? He's done a fabulous job, lengendary indeed. But everyone has his time to go.
Irreplaceable :smile:, closest? Mourinho, may play boring football but sure can deliver, massive charismatic character, just like King Cantona, LOL.

With Mourinho by your side, you already won 20% of the battle even before the kick off, with his rubbish crapping statements before the match.

I simply love this man :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Though he stated his desire to manage Man U, he might not be suitable for Man U, i dunno, LOL

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Manchester United don't need trophies per se to be a great club in its tradition. It's the tradition that's the bedrock of their greatness; trophies are just guild edges.
In the 1958 Munich air disaster, most of Manchester United backbone players were wiped out. Manchester United were still the best supported club in the world. In 1975-76, Manchester United was relegated to the old Second Division, they were still the best supported club in the world. From return to the old First Division in 1976-77 to 1991-92, Manchester United won zero league title, they were still the best supported club in the world..
Ole2. Enough said (even from neutral you)
jw5 said:
Leeds United fan, I can guess he's at least 50 years old.
Whenever someone tells me he is a Chelsea fan, I can guess he just starting watching football less than 10 years ago.
And yeah, all the jersey swoppers

jw5

Loyal
Man City have announced the big money signing of David Silva from Valencia.
They are also said to be very close to signing Yaya Toure from Barcelona.
The rumour mill is that Man Utd have made a bid for 20 year old Sotiris Ninis from Panathanaikos in Greece.
If that is true, there are going to be some very old players and some very young players at Old Trafford next season.

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Man City have announced the big money signing of David Silva from Valencia.
They are also said to be very close to signing Yaya Toure from Barcelona.
The rumour mill is that Man Utd have made a bid for 20 year old Sotiris Ninis from Panathanaikos in Greece.
If that is true, there are going to be some very old players and some very young players at Old Trafford next season.
Why i got the feeling SAF is doing a tikam tikam transfer like Benitez? -_-""

Last edited:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Liverpool is hiring Roy Hodgson. Wasted voluntary renewal opportunity for Manchester United.

jw5

Loyal
Why i got the feeling SAF is doing a tikam tikam transfer like Benitez? -_-""
Roma, Inter, Arsenal and AC Milan are all rumoured to be interested in Ninis as well.
He's a bright young talent, perhaps he won't make an impact straight away but he's obviously one of the up and coming stars of the future.
On the other hand, I don't think many top teams were chasing after El Zhar, Lucas and N'Gog.