• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Living in JB 3 (Johore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Investor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I don't think it is SG government's interest for SG to be well-connected to JB via roads. Investors and more Singaporeans will invest and spend in JB instead if JB is so well-connected to SG. So expect more jams ahead :p

On the contrary, our PM LHL, DPM Tharman S. and key ministers think that it is very much in Sg's interest that Iskandar Malaysia prospers and succeeds, and for Sg to have a seamless linkage with Iskandar. They view things on a macro level.

1) PM Lee Hsien Loong said, "Singapore sees it very much in our interests that Iskandar Malaysia prospers and succeeds. It has been doing well, it has attracted many investments. But most importantly, I think if we can develop the linkage between Singapore and Iskandar, we will be able to have benefits to both sides." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyxV19OSoB8

2) Senior Minister of State for Trade & Industry Lee Yi Shyan said, "Both Malaysia and Singapore will have a bigger pie to share collectively if there is seamless integration between the two economies. http://www.malaysia-chronicle.com/i...complement-one-another&Itemid=3#axzz2mVxX667m

3) Minister for Trade and Industry Mr Lim Hng Kiang said, "I encourage you to continue to capitalise on the comparative advantages in each country by integrating business or manufacturing processes across the borders. In particular, the close proximity between Iskandar Malaysia and Singapore means that managing such integrated processes can be faster and easier. This is a valuable proposition that should be exploited. Looking ahead into the future, with the right match of industries and connectivity for goods and people further enhanced, Iskandar Malaysia and Singapore could well have the potential to develop into a “seamless” economic space some day. http://www.news.gov.sg/public/sgpc/en/media_releases/agencies/mti/speech/S-20111124-1.html

4) Deputy Prime Minister Tharman Shanmugaratnam said, "Iskandar is a 'nice complementary space' for businesses. Mr Najib and Mr Tharman also agreed on the need for both governments to continue working together to improve connectivity and maintain an attractive investment climate." http://business.asiaone.com/news/tharman-iskandar-nice-complementary-space-businesses

Last edited:

Sunday

Alfrescian
Loyal
Guys.... sorry if this is mention some where in the forum. Could any 1 advise me on the below:-
What is the norm of the rental deposit for a condo - 2 months?
Agent fee for tenant lease is 1 year or 2 years?
If 2 years, could i hold on the 2nd year agent fee till completion fo the 1st year tenant???

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
On the contrary, our PM LHL, DPM Tharman S. and key ministers think that it is very much in Sg's interest that Iskandar Malaysia prospers and succeeds, and for Sg to have a seamless linkage with Iskandar. They view things on a macro level.

1) PM Lee Hsien Loong said, "Singapore sees it very much in our interests that Iskandar Malaysia prospers and succeeds. It has been doing well, it has attracted many investments. But most importantly, I think if we can develop the linkage between Singapore and Iskandar, we will be able to have benefits to both sides." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyxV19OSoB8

2) Senior Minister of State for Trade & Industry Lee Yi Shyan said, "Both Malaysia and Singapore will have a bigger pie to share collectively if there is seamless integration between the two economies. http://www.malaysia-chronicle.com/i...complement-one-another&Itemid=3#axzz2mVxX667m

3) Minister for Trade and Industry Mr Lim Hng Kiang said, "I encourage you to continue to capitalise on the comparative advantages in each country by integrating business or manufacturing processes across the borders. In particular, the close proximity between Iskandar Malaysia and Singapore means that managing such integrated processes can be faster and easier. This is a valuable proposition that should be exploited. Looking ahead into the future, with the right match of industries and connectivity for goods and people further enhanced, Iskandar Malaysia and Singapore could well have the potential to develop into a “seamless” economic space some day. http://www.news.gov.sg/public/sgpc/en/media_releases/agencies/mti/speech/S-20111124-1.html

4) Deputy Prime Minister Tharman Shanmugaratnam said, "Iskandar is a 'nice complementary space' for businesses. Mr Najib and Mr Tharman also agreed on the need for both governments to continue working together to improve connectivity and maintain an attractive investment climate." http://business.asiaone.com/news/tharman-iskandar-nice-complementary-space-businesses

Those r old news. LKY's version is more recent n significant. Iskandar shd not become too successful. The latest stance on HSR n RTS revealed a change in thinking. My views.

Investor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Those r old news. LKY's version is more recent n significant. Iskandar shd not become too successful. The latest stance on HSR n RTS revealed a change in thinking. My views.

Bro FHBH12,

Those are long term views of our PM, DPM and senior ministers. Their views might be 1-2 years old but they were not discussing about what to have for dinner that day. They were talking about Sg-My relationship a couple of decades down the road.

We always like to say that My's key people change policies like flipping roti prata. We'll be labelled the same if we say that all our keys ministers' views on Iskandar just last year were old views and that they have a different stance on Iskandar now. So far, on a few occassions, LHL and LKY had different views .

Last edited:

leongyo

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think Johor has been doing very well the last 10 years but that is not very long and the situation was not very hard - basically avoid doing lots of bad things and you will do well. If they can continue things will go very well. Also success creates problems - fast growth is hard to manage in urban planning unless you really do smart things. Johor is going to have fast growth and has been having some already. If things haven't been planned for well, by the times problems are visible they may well not be manageable in any realistic way (look at the horrible traffic in KL for example).

Transportation is a big risk of creating big problems, in my opinion. So is not creating enough high paying jobs in JB itself. There are some being created which is good. And their are even more decent jobs being created which is good. But there is too much luxury housing and not enough office building in my opinion for a long term stable, strong economy.

Banking/finance/insurance would be a good target (especially - back office operations for Singapore, in the next 3-15 years). Technology and internet would be a great area but there is a long way to go - even luxury condos completed this year don't have fiber internet connections that is not the sign of an area committed to 21st century technology. This technology entrepreneurship area is something that needs more support (even Singapore throwing lots and lots of resources into this area struggles to do great things with it but they are having some success). The potential for this technology entrepreneurship is great though, I think, but much more commitment is needed to getting lots of internet and other high technology jobs.

Great ideas and comments. I'm really hoping the relevant authorities have thought about this and addressing this...however, uncertainties looms ahead...

Re JB transport/ infrastructure - the cracks are showing. There are no clear public transport policies, no clear zoning restrictions policies or whatever you call it...give it another 3-5 years and you'll see another KL traffic situation.

Re high value job creation - spot on regarding banking/finance/insurance/technology...there are 2 main issues however - (1) Putrajaya/Cyberjaya has the same ideas and had mixed success and (2) where do you find the local (cheaper?) talent in the mid 2-5 years?

cow138

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro FHBH12,

Those are long term views of our PM, DPM and senior ministers. Their views might be 1-2 years old but they were not discussing about what to have for dinner that day. They were talking about Sg-My relationship a couple of decades down the road.

We always like to say that My's key people change policies like flipping roti prata. We'll be labelled the same if we say that all our keys ministers' views on Iskandar just last year were old views and that they have a different stance on Iskandar now. So far, on a few occassions, LHL and LKY had different views .

True. But the recent policy tweaks coming from Malaysia is troubling from a long term visibility perspective. There doesn't seem like a coherent plan going forward. Policies are decided on an ad hoc basis.
Furthermore most of the talk about HSR and RTSseems to be only coming from Malaysia side.

Don't see much involvement from Singapore. A lot of potential in Iskandar but the news recently has just quieten so much.

Newbie11

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's year end. Chill. Developers and everyone no mood. Can't expect action every day. Plus there was uncertainty after budget

kopikong99

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro FHBH12,

It is just like the jams at johor side of the Causeway. Singaporeans like to criticised and laugh at them for being so inefficient. Now what? Johor side at least the jam improved tremendously but it is now Singapore side that have this wasting everyone's time jam. Before looking at others and laugh at them please look at own self first - no better.

crystal_tiong

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is just like the jams at johor side of the Causeway. Singaporeans like to criticised and laugh at them for being so inefficient. Now what? Johor side at least the jam improved tremendously but it is now Singapore side that have this wasting everyone's time jam. Before looking at others and laugh at them please look at own self first - no better.

my experiences of the jam was in sg custom , malaysia car arrived without filling the entry form or passports having problems etc , thats why SG custom jammed so long .
imagine i waited for a car of 10 family member taking their own sweet time to fill in the forms !
causeway custom counters already opened most of it , not too sure abt 2nd link custom.
cant siam the lanes wo msia cars as more lanes are msia cars !

Last edited:

potter

Alfrescian
Loyal
my experiences of the jam was in sg custom , malaysia car arrived without filling the entry form or passports having problems etc , thats why SG custom jammed so long .
imagine i waited for a car of 10 family member taking their own sweet time to fill in the forms !
causeway custom counters already opened most of it , not too sure abt 2nd link custom.
cant siam the lanes wo msia cars as more lanes are msia cars !

@SG custom, follow SG car Q.
@MY custom, follow mys car Q. (some mys car can zoom off @ e counter one hor):p

Last edited:

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal

I have a different experience. I actually find the MY side of the jams to be getting worse, due to insufficient counters being opened (50%-60% at most during peak hours). At least the SG counters are open 85%-90% of the time, and they are using the Old Lorry Customs to direct the traffic away during peak hours.

jasonjst

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have a different experience. I actually find the MY side of the jams to be getting worse, due to insufficient counters being opened (50%-60% at most during peak hours). At least the SG counters are open 85%-90% of the time, and they are using the Old Lorry Customs to direct the traffic away during peak hours.

Bro, you should see for yourself wat is happening at 2nd Link during peak hour . Despite paying for $3.2 toll charge , they block a 4 lane express way into 1 lane , KNN !

Status
Not open for further replies.