• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Living in JB 3 (Johore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
May I ask if the Macs make a difference if driving or riding a bike? No special lane right? Still in the same jam.

It won't make a difference to the traffic but it makes a difference to the passport. :biggrin: But the jam hardly occurs at MY side...The bike jam is solely SG problem, whether incoming or outgoing.

bluesky321

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Guys,

I might really join you guys soon in the near future. Checked on a few developments near JB Customs, and found one that is reasonably priced 10mins walking distance away. One thing i notice - All of the New units don't come with any lights, you would need to install them all by yourself. I don't really have a Car so I am wondering if anyone here knows of any good and reliable contractors that does lighting installation? I hope there is some nearby JB customs. Of course i would need to go down to the showroom to choose my lights etc. Basically i am still a bit lost in JB, i don't even know where to get Mirrors and Chairs/Tables - guess what the toilet doesn't even come with Mirrors! Yup, so where to find Mirrors and lights?

On a side note, can i ask - are Handphones cheaper in JB or Singapore? Mine is dying, need to get a new one soon. Would be crossing over to JB again in 3 days time.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Guys,

I might really join you guys soon in the near future. Checked on a few developments near JB Customs, and found one that is reasonably priced 10mins walking distance away. One thing i notice - All of the New units don't come with any lights, you would need to install them all by yourself. I don't really have a Car so I am wondering if anyone here knows of any good and reliable contractors that does lighting installation? I hope there is some nearby JB customs. Of course i would need to go down to the showroom to choose my lights etc. Basically i am still a bit lost in JB, i don't even know where to get Mirrors and Chairs/Tables - guess what the toilet doesn't even come with Mirrors! Yup, so where to find Mirrors and lights?

On a side note, can i ask - are Handphones cheaper in JB or Singapore? Mine is dying, need to get a new one soon. Would be crossing over to JB again in 3 days time.

If you have a car I would recommend going to Taman Molek. But if you walk around the shop houses near Pelangi Mall, you probably would come across a few lighting shops. If you don't need anything fanciful you should be able to settle all your lightings in one shop.

Regarding handphones, there are plenty of phone shops dotted everywhere selling 2nd hand ones or new ones. Those Lenovos are pretty cheap. But I think if you are shuttling back and forth SG and JB to work, you may be better off getting those free phones when you recontract in SG. Then just buy a prepaid card where you need to top up RM30 for 30 days use within MY. Perhaps a dual sim card phone from SG might work for you?

bluesky321

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you have a car I would recommend going to Taman Molek. But if you walk around the shop houses near Pelangi Mall, you probably would come across a few lighting shops. If you don't need anything fanciful you should be able to settle all your lightings in one shop.

Regarding handphones, there are plenty of phone shops dotted everywhere selling 2nd hand ones or new ones. Those Lenovos are pretty cheap. But I think if you are shuttling back and forth SG and JB to work, you may be better off getting those free phones when you recontract in SG. Then just buy a prepaid card where you need to top up RM30 for 30 days use within MY. Perhaps a dual sim card phone from SG might work for you?

Shop houses near Pelangi Mall? - Got it will take a walk around there and see if there are any decent lighting shops with reasonable prices.

With regards to handphone, i was rather more like comparing prices of Samsung and LG in Malaysia as opposed to in Singapore. I don't exactly use Lenova. It's wild wild west in Malaysia i guess. You don't know if the samsung you are getting is really a "samsung"? Hence more along the line of any cheap and reliable handphone shops in JB i can trust to buy from?

eric3417

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi,

correct me if wrong but i believe most lighting shop can provide installation at a fee.
you can check out a few shops lighting prices/install prices compare.

Cheers

jayeho

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Guys,

just buy mi4i, can use 2 sims, sg and jb, i am same as you with phone spoils, condo in JB reno, no car and no idea where to buy anything in JB... but sure dont buy from any shopping centres

jayeho

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sharing my experience applying for MACS in JB (IRDA office). Yes, if you have a property in JB you can apply for your family - including kids under 18yrs old. You need to bring a copy of you S&P agreement as proof. Kids over 18yrs old have to apply in S'pore :(

I was at the MACS office in JB applying for MACS for my family and witnessed a family with a tenancy agreement being told they couldn't apply for MACS there as tenancy agreements are not acceptable for application.

Hope that helps.

i have ask the immigration staff about where to apply in JB, the answer was no longer in JB, all done in Sg...?

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
i have ask the immigration staff about where to apply in JB, the answer was no longer in JB, all done in Sg...?

Immigration people probably does not care about IRDA matters. I did mine last December at IRDA office at Danga Bay.

Legolad

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Guys,

Try the upcoming HomeFair 2016 at Persada, Johor.

Homefair 2016.jpg

bluesky321

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Guys,

Is it possible for Singaporeans to get PostPaid lines in Malaysia?
Just saw the offers by U Mobile Hero U70 and Celcom First Gold: very cheap!

Only RM70 and RM80 and you get unlimited calls + 7-15GB of data plan; pretty awesome.

In Singapore, i think you have to fork out $150 for such a plan.

However, are we eligible? Do we have to sign any 2years contract or any Deposits?

I understand unlike Singapore, Malaysia don't have a 2 year contract whereby you can get a free phone etc.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Guys,

Is it possible for Singaporeans to get PostPaid lines in Malaysia?
Just saw the offers by U Mobile Hero U70 and Celcom First Gold: very cheap!

Only RM70 and RM80 and you get unlimited calls + 7-15GB of data plan; pretty awesome.

In Singapore, i think you have to fork out $150 for such a plan.

However, are we eligible? Do we have to sign any 2years contract or any Deposits?

I understand unlike Singapore, Malaysia don't have a 2 year contract whereby you can get a free phone etc.

For foreigners you would need to put down a deposit for a post paid plans. I remember a couple of years ago they were asking like RM1500 deposit or something? Not sure what is the rate now. But I don't want to put in this kind of "FD". And I also think they don't offer free phones like SG.

bluesky321

Alfrescian
Loyal
For foreigners you would need to put down a deposit for a post paid plans. I remember a couple of years ago they were asking like RM1500 deposit or something? Not sure what is the rate now. But I don't want to put in this kind of "FD". And I also think they don't offer free phones like SG.

Hmm, if it's just RM250, maybe it's still reasonable. Anything more it's a bit ridiculous as you are basically just paying for a plan, not like as if they are giving you a free phone. RM1500 deposit = daylight robbery. If postpaid is a risky option for Singaporeans, what is the best prepaid plan geared towards best value for money for Data surfing then? I guess we use watsapp 90% of the time, so data is most important.

On another note, is Digital TV necessary/advantageous in Johor? I don't even know if the New Condos have the Cable point to support Digital TV? I just realized Johor don't even have Cable Broadband? They are still under ADSL phone lines? Omg... Are they still in the stone age or something with respect to Home Broadband.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hmm, if it's just RM250, maybe it's still reasonable. Anything more it's a bit ridiculous as you are basically just paying for a plan, not like as if they are giving you a free phone. RM1500 deposit = daylight robbery. If postpaid is a risky option for Singaporeans, what is the best prepaid plan geared towards best value for money for Data surfing then? I guess we use watsapp 90% of the time, so data is most important.

On another note, is Digital TV necessary/advantageous in Johor? I don't even know if the New Condos have the Cable point to support Digital TV? I just realized Johor don't even have Cable Broadband? They are still under ADSL phone lines? Omg... Are they still in the stone age or something with respect to Home Broadband.

For me I am using prepaid Hotlink that comes with free basic internet that is just enough to do Whatsapp messaging (but not calling as it will keep drop calls). I hotspot it so that I can whatsapp on my SG phone. You can go to most phone shops and just buy the sim card, nicer numbers will cost more.

As for digital TV, I am not sure. I am using TM Unifi which was provided by the developer. There is also Astro that you can use. I think it is fibre optics...but I suppose it also depends on which area you are staying in?

ECboy

Alfrescian
Loyal
For me I am using prepaid Hotlink that comes with free basic internet that is just enough to do Whatsapp messaging (but not calling as it will keep drop calls). I hotspot it so that I can whatsapp on my SG phone. You can go to most phone shops and just buy the sim card, nicer numbers will cost more.

As for digital TV, I am not sure. I am using TM Unifi which was provided by the developer. There is also Astro that you can use. I think it is fibre optics...but I suppose it also depends on which area you are staying in?

No need nice number la, who even remembers mobile numbers anymore :p Prepaid so cheap and if you find topping up is a hassle then buy a few top up slips/cards and keep them in your wallet. I have like 3 rm5 slips with me coz i usually do weekend trips only (for now).

bluesky321

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi guys,

Just wish to confirm that there is really no issues for a Singaporeans to safely just buy a Propery and to live in Johor "Permanently", and travelling to and fro is solely just dependant on MACS.

I guess at this point of time my greatest worries is Malaysia customs giving Singaporeans problems as we don't really hold a valid residential status there. I don't intend to go for the MM2H which is pretty expensive for me at this point of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.