• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Living in JB 2 (Johore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrulyAsia

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Sunset,

Precisely, Horizon Residence will be an ideal place for weekend getaway from Sinkabola:biggrin:
- easily accessible from coastal highway and almost equal distance (equally convenient) from 1st & 2nd link
- short distance to major shopping malls (Jusco/Tesco/Giant), regional commercial hub, HH golf course, Columbia Asia Private Hospital etc.
- within 15mins (by driving) to Marlborough college, Legoland, Puteri Harbour / Indoor theme park
- directly opposite is a linear park, landscaped with lake and jogging track
- value for money, in terms of psf pricing and quality furnishings included
- Strata titled for better enforcement of security measures, peace of mind without the need to "cage" yourself behind the grille

According to HR sales personnel, construction is scheduled to complete by mid-2013 and obtaining CFO by end-2013

Recommendations according to my personal perferences, via causeway:
Car servicing: I tyre & batteries (6, Jln Harimau Tarum, Taman Century, 80250, J.B.) -> reasonable price
Meal: Restoran Ho Seng Kee (12, Jln Kancil, Taman Century, 80250, J.B.) -> can check for reviews by trip advisor
Shop: KSL City, City Square, Aeon Tebrau -> can find everything you want under one roof

I have no idea about the development been planned (if any) for the plot of land right in front of Horizon Residence main entrance.
Perhaps other learned bros & sisters can advise.:smile:

Sunset

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Truly Asia,

Thank you for your infor, actually I was there again last yesterday 15/01/2012, to get my car wax & polish for $80 sing, not bad after that car shinier than before :smile:. And also to go check out on the status of the development HR. Was at HR at about 12 plus and all the workers going out for lunch. Your Tower A is really shaping up already, from the main road (after the 2 large water tank) you can see towards your right slightly, the 3 rd level I think , of HR already. But tower B still at car park level. I will try to post the pictures in later post.
I will try the makan place you rcommended. And for the car servicing you recommended, do they do up your car, like door light pointers, daylight etc....? Or purely car servicing per se. Also must check out the "liner park, lake & jogging track"? Am not sure where but will try to find out
:rolleyes: :biggrin:

arsenal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi, I receive "Bil Tuntutan Cukai Harta" today. What is that? Don't understand the meaning.. Is it property tax? Is it half yearly tax?

Let me know and I'll put that into my vocabulary..

jasonjst

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually I am not trying to be humble. It really depends on individuals.. some investors are happy and contented with rm100k gain but we just have to note that at the same time, rm100k gain in malaysia will get u s$100k gain because the world economy is generally doing well.

I have bought some fireworks thru a personal friend.. will try to set off in either in East Ledang or somewhere near Legoland during the eve. Anyone knows where to get fireworkds at cheaper rate? I got mine at rm1400 which I think could be expensive.. this is the "big" one like those used for national days..

Bro , I just bought a few feet of small crackers for the fun of it @ rm 28 . You can buy them from night market outside 777 open air eateries @ Tun Adminah . Need to ask for it as they cant opening sell these fireworks.

Sunset

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi, I receive "Bil Tuntutan Cukai Harta" today. What is that? Don't understand the meaning.. Is it property tax? Is it half yearly tax?

Hi arsenal,

Yep is Property Tax, but for half year or full year am not sure, sorry:o

avalon74

Alfrescian
Loyal

Bro,
Using Google translate...
claim the property tax bill

Yup.. half yearly.. paid mine online to MPJBT

avelc

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hi arsenal,
Yes it seems to be property tax -- extracted this from one of Wuqi's old posts.

[Quit Rent]

Ok guys, quit rent (Cukai Tanah) = no need to go to Larkin. I paid here: http://onlinepayment.johor.gov.my/
English version: *http://onlinepayment.johor.gov.my/index.php

Yes its an yearly affair, they usually won't do anything to you if you are late but lets respect their law.
Contrary to what folks will tell you, you can pay by your SG credit card. At least i have used 2 to pay for the quit rent.

[Property Tax]

Also, the property tax is about 400-500 RM a year. You can go to Skudai or you can also go to Perling to pay.
There is one in the Perling wet market that can collect the payment. Its a small one storey govt house that is besides the market in the car park.

Alternatively, property tax (cukai harta or cukai pintu) can be paid at any post office (pos malaysia) besides the places you've mentioned. Sometimes they will even park a mobile bus to do the collection if there is demand, whereas cukai tanah (quit rent) can be paid at the main office opposite Larkin bus station. For every year's delay, you will be penalised 20% of the amount payable. Yeah, they won't do anything to you until you decide to transfer/sell your property.

arsenal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks all for the explanation..

Hi arsenal,
Yes it seems to be property tax -- extracted this from one of Wuqi's old posts.

[Quit Rent]

Ok guys, quit rent (Cukai Tanah) = no need to go to Larkin. I paid here: http://onlinepayment.johor.gov.my/
English version: *http://onlinepayment.johor.gov.my/index.php

Yes its an yearly affair, they usually won't do anything to you if you are late but lets respect their law.
Contrary to what folks will tell you, you can pay by your SG credit card. At least i have used 2 to pay for the quit rent.

[Property Tax]

Also, the property tax is about 400-500 RM a year. You can go to Skudai or you can also go to Perling to pay.
There is one in the Perling wet market that can collect the payment. Its a small one storey govt house that is besides the market in the car park.

Alternatively, property tax (cukai harta or cukai pintu) can be paid at any post office (pos malaysia) besides the places you've mentioned. Sometimes they will even park a mobile bus to do the collection if there is demand, whereas cukai tanah (quit rent) can be paid at the main office opposite Larkin bus station. For every year's delay, you will be penalised 20% of the amount payable. Yeah, they won't do anything to you until you decide to transfer/sell your property.

Investor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I agree with the professional views of Teck, Contra and CuriousCat regarding my previous post, thank you guys for sharing. Just when I thought my own view was total nonsense, I was so relieved to have chanced upon the news(today's news) below which have something which supported my view. I still agree with the views from you guys because there's no clear-cut right or wrong on a topic like this. I'm just relieved that my view is not total nonsense.

16 Jan 2012
JOHOR BARU: Iskandar Malaysia could be considered as a recession-proof economic region, even during times of economic slowdown as Singaporean companies will always find it a cheaper and nearer place to invest in.

..... ....."Singapore property is at least three to five times more expensive than Johor's. With scarcity of land and higher operating costs, there are already signs that their businessmen are looking at Iskandar Malaysia as an alternative platform to expand their business.

..... .....Nur Jazlan said if Iskandar Malaysia grew fast enough to bridge the economic gap between Singapore and the economic region, Singapore would eventually extend its economic frontier to Iskandar Malaysia.

He also voiced concerns about the anticipated sluggish world economic growth this year, but insisted that it would not affect Iskandar Malaysia because of the Singaporean factor.

Read more: MP: Political stability in Johor vital for Iskandar - General - New Straits Times http://www.nst.com.my/local/general...hor-vital-for-iskandar-1.32792?#ixzz1jdF7CZxX

Last edited:

lastresort

Alfrescian
Loyal
I agree with the professional views of Teck, Contra and CuriousCat regarding my previous post, thank you guys for sharing. Just when I thought my own view was total nonsense, I was so relieved to have chanced upon the news(today's news) below which have something which supported my view. I still agree with the views from you guys because there's no clear-cut right or wrong on a topic like this. I'm just relieved that my view is not total nonsense.

16 Jan 2012
JOHOR BARU: Iskandar Malaysia could be considered as a recession-proof economic region, even during times of economic slowdown as Singaporean companies will always find it a cheaper and nearer place to invest in.

..... ....."Singapore property is at least three to five times more expensive than Johor's. With scarcity of land and higher operating costs, there are already signs that their businessmen are looking at Iskandar Malaysia as an alternative platform to expand their business.

..... .....Nur Jazlan said if Iskandar Malaysia grew fast enough to bridge the economic gap between Singapore and the economic region, Singapore would eventually extend its economic frontier to Iskandar Malaysia.

He also voiced concerns about the anticipated sluggish world economic growth this year, but insisted that it would not affect Iskandar Malaysia because of the Singaporean factor.

Read more: MP: Political stability in Johor vital for Iskandar - General - New Straits Times http://www.nst.com.my/local/general...hor-vital-for-iskandar-1.32792?#ixzz1jdF7CZxX

Hi Investor, Teck, Contra and CuriousCat brothers, thanks for the great discussion here on different contrasting views. I think we will know soon whether Iskandar is recession proof, but I too agree there is no such thing as recession proof although this time it might not get hit too much. =)

Investor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
A Kuala Lumpur guy wrote the below in Skyscraper forum. Iskandar is really in the limelight now.

Foreign investments are rising and Johor may well be the biggest foreign investment destination in 2011 due to Iskandar incentives. For example, Singaporean SMEs have all snapped up plots of industrial lands under S P Setia and about 70 SMEs are relocating to Iskandar. Alot of money has been spent on infrastructure. Around RM5 bil last year.

Private developers are cashing in on land. Even I got a student friend who managed to get a piece of valuable land near Pangerang. He is now looking for buyer and will sell the land for hundreds of millions.

Iskandar is now a place for KL-guys to make some money these days. For those interested, I adviced you to join this Facebook Group >>> http://www.facebook.com/groups/138144292918617/ as they will organise roadtrips to Iskandar projects for Malaysians working in Singapore and Singaporeans.

toyohon

Alfrescian
Loyal
Tuesday January 17, 2012

Iskandar set to reach tipping point
By THOMAS HUONG
[email protected]

PETALING JAYA: Iskandar Malaysia is set to reach its tipping point in the next 24 months after the completion of key catalyst developments and infrastructure improvements, according to HwangDBS Vickers Research.

The research unit believed that prospects for the economic growth corridor in Johor would be boosted by the successful bilateral talks during the recent Malaysia-Singapore Leaders' Retreat, the entry of more property developers as well as spillover demand for properties in Iskandar due to Singapore's latest stamp duty hike and high property prices.

It was noted that the recent bilateral talks had resulted in fruitful discussions on topics such as the construction of an undersea tunnel linking Johor Baru and Singapore, sale of electricity to Singapore (possibly from Pengerang), co-operation in aviation and airport services between Johor's Senai International Airport and Singapore's Changi International Airport, and the formation of a work group on industrial co-operation to promote Iskandar and Singapore.

“The industrial co-operation work group may be a springboard for more investments by Singapore in Iskandar, and could be a key re-rating catalyst,” HwangDBS Vickers Research said.

Since 2006, Iskandar has received RM77.8bil worth of committed investments.

The region had also recently seen property launches setting new price benchmarks, the research house said.

“We were pleasantly surprised by the strong 65% bookings for UEM Land Holdings Bhd's Imperia@Puteri Harbour condominiums, which were launched in Nov 2011 at a record RM725 per sq ft.”

It was also noted that UEM Land's Impiana@East Ledang condominiums had seen brisk sales with two blocks almost fully sold within six months at RM480 per sq ft (compared with RM300 per sq ft for the adjacent Ujana apartments launched in 2009).

For SP Setia Bhd, Johor is also a core market (accounting for 29% of its sales) with sales surging 57% in its financial year ended Oct 31, 2011.

Meanwhile, land values in Johor's Southern Industrial and Logistics Clusters continued to appreciate with the latest transactions hitting RM35 per sq ft (compared with 2010's RM25 per sq ft).

HwangDBS Vickers Research said its top stock picks, for exposure to Iskandar, were UEM Land, SP Setia, Eastern & Oriental Bhd and Genting Plantations Bhd.

jasonjst

Alfrescian
Loyal

16 Jan 2012

When " bad news " is being dismissed as good news , it is time to buy ! Nothing to worry , haha .
When " good news - such as cut ministers pay " is being dimissed as bad news , it is time to sell ! Run fast !

Last edited:

yonglip

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think what we will be witnessing for the next couple of years is the arbitraging forces coming into play between SG and Iskandar asset/prop prices. Although it is generally true that when SG sneezes, JB catches a cold, we may have the anomaly of SG prop prices moderating while JB prices holding steady or even rising. How fast and how much the tectonic plates move will very much depend on how the 2 governments play their cards. i.e the kinds of signal the 2 govts send to the people. So far it has been positive but for Singapreans to truly have a paradigm shift with regards to living and working in JB, very much more needs to be done. Mega projects like MRT, 3rd link etc takes time to build so do not expect the plates to move fast.
However, I feel that some of the iskandar prop developers may be too eager to priced in their "optimism" in current/near future launches and end up running way ahead of the market. In their haste to attract top dollar for their launches, they forget there is a HUGE segment of Singaporeans who have not even bought anything yet in JB. If prices rise too fast, this group will be lost forever. For me, the 2 plates are presently on the move and it might be better to see how the cards fall before buying the next prop.

Cheers.

teck21

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think what we will be witnessing for the next couple of years is the arbitraging forces coming into play between SG and Iskandar asset/prop prices. Although it is generally true that when SG sneezes, JB catches a cold, we may have the anomaly of SG prop prices moderating while JB prices holding steady or even rising. How fast and how much the tectonic plates move will very much depend on how the 2 governments play their cards. i.e the kinds of signal the 2 govts send to the people. So far it has been positive but for Singapreans to truly have a paradigm shift with regards to living and working in JB, very much more needs to be done. Mega projects like MRT, 3rd link etc takes time to build so do not expect the plates to move fast.
However, I feel that some of the iskandar prop developers may be too eager to priced in their "optimism" in current/near future launches and end up running way ahead of the market. In their haste to attract top dollar for their launches, they forget there is a HUGE segment of Singaporeans who have not even bought anything yet in JB. If prices rise too fast, this group will be lost forever. For me, the 2 plates are presently on the move and it might be better to see how the cards fall before buying the next prop.

Yep, good analyses and opinions all round from various contributors. Like arses, we all have one. :smile:

I am not sure about the group being lost forever part. Speculators have incredibly short memories. Investors have long memories. And the speculative dollar always outspends the investing dollar no matter what how they try to defend it.

Seeing how the cards fall? Absolutely true. Like everyone else, I am seeing how they will fall in Singapore first. It will be a long time I feel, tipping point year or not, before Johor becomes first port of call for property investors in this little part of the world.

Investor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Johor's Nusajaya draws up tough security plans, 11 Jan 2012.
NUSAJAYA could arguably be one of the most guarded residential areas in Malaysia going by security plans being put in place.

With foreign buyers comprising more than half of all purchasers at a number of its high-end developments, government-linked UEM Land - one of the biggest landbank owners there - has made moves to ensure enhanced security measures including technology and an 'omnipresence' to assuage crime concerns.

Its managing director/ chief executive Wan Abdullah Wan Ibrahim said the company and Medini Security Services Sdn Bhd have formed a joint venture company to 'expedite the implementation of safety and security initiatives and services in Nusajaya.'

Medini Services is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Iskandar Investment Bhd (IIB), the promoter of the economic zone. Sovereign wealth fund Khazanah Nasional has interests in both UEM Land and IIB.

At the joint venture signing ceremony yesterday, Mr Wan said some RM4 million (S$1.6 million) would be spent on capex and an equal amount on opex this year to address Nusajaya's security requirements. 'In monetary terms it is not a large amount but it's significant for addressing public perception (of crime).'

Malaysian authorities maintain crime is on the decline but Mr Wan conceded the 'negative perception' remains. Given that foreigners are a big target of its high-end homes, UEM Land's focus on ensuring better security for Nusajaya which spans 24,000 acres and is one of Iskandar's five flagship zones, is not surprising. The state administrative offices are located there as are attractions such as Legoland which is slated to launch in September.

Mr Wan said nine out of ten buyers of UEM Land's waterfront properties in Puteri Harbour are foreigners. In its East Ledang and Horizon Hills projects, they comprise 70 and 50 per cent, respectively.

The developer intends to launch another RM5.5 billion worth of projects this year, of which RM1.6 billion will be in Nusajaya. It is targeting RM3 billion in sales this year.

Nusajaya and Medini have been accorded special incentives including a waiver of bumiputra housing quotas compared to other parts of Johor where developers are required to allocate some 40 per cent of a project to bumiputras who are normally also accorded a 5-7 per cent discount.

UEM Land's security measures include LED street lighting and the expansion of CCTV coverage as well as the deployment of 160 auxiliary police to Nusajaya by 2015 from about 20 initially.

Investor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
UK’s top engineering varsity opens first Malaysia campus 11 JANUARY 2012 , BY THE BORNEO POST

The University of Southampton’s first international campus in EduCity@Iskandar, South Johor, is now open for enrolment.

The Malaysia Campus is a registered private institute of higher learning by the Ministry of Higher Education Malaysia. The university’s mechanical engineering programme has also received approval from Malaysian Qualifications Agency and the Board of Engineers Malaysia

Southampton is one of the top three universities in the UK for engineering and has a worldwide reputation for its academic excellence. Mechanical engineering courses at the South Johor campus will commence in October 2012, with applications now invited for the Master of Engineering undergraduate programme.

The UK university’s vice-chancellor, Professor Don Nutbeam said: “As an international university with a globally-renowned reputation in engineering and research, Southampton’s expertise will offer students a world-class education, supplementing Malaysia’s demand for exceptional engineering graduates.”

Professor John McBride, the chief executive officer of the Malaysia campus, added: “Our mechanical engineering courses are consistently rated very highly in university league tables and are currently ranked No. 1 for the third consecutive year in the UK by the Guardian newspaper’s University Guide 2012. I am delighted that we are now able to offer them in Malaysia as well.

“Our courses are particularly attractive in that students will be able to study in Malaysia for the first two years of the programme, then study at the UK campus for the last two years. This offers students a truly international experience and an affordable top notch degree.”

In September 2011, the University of Southampton was ranked one of the top 75 universities in the world, according to the 2011 QS World University League Rankings. Southampton is one of only 19 UK universities in the global elite of 100 higher education institutions. This is the university’s highest ranking and the third year in a row that it has improved its position.

The QS rankings are one of only a few internationally recognised indicators of excellence in teaching, research, citations of research, industry reputation and the international mix of students and staff.

In November, the University of Southampton was awarded the prestigious Queen’s Anniversary Prize for Higher and Further education for its innovation and world-leading expertise in performance sports engineering. The prize recognises four decades of innovation in design and testing, and technical expertise — supporting high-performance sports competitors, including several Olympic Gold Medal winners such as track cyclist Sir Chris Hoy and winter sports athlete Amy Williams.

The Bachelor of Engineering (BEng) and Master of Engineer (MEng) Mechanical Engineering programme offered at the Malaysia Campus, has a flexible structure and provides students an array of programmes consisting of parts one and two where they will study core mechanical engineering topics to give them a strong foundation in the subject.

In parts three and four of the programme, students can pursue an interdisciplinary programme or choose to specialise in subject matters of advanced materials, aerospace, automotive, bioengineering, engineering management, mechatronics, or sustainable energy systems.

The university’s branch campus for engineering is set within EduCity@Iskandar Malaysia, a dedicated hub located in the heart of Malaysia’s economic zone. The state-of-the-art EduCity development comprises international universities, schools and colleges as well as leisure and sports facilities.

Students will also benefit from innovative, world-class facilities in which to study, with modern, spacious and safe living accommodation, together with cafes, restaurants, sports complex and health service facilities.

The university will be taking part in the Borneo Post International Education Fair 2012 (BPIEF) which will be held at the Borneo Convention Centre Kuching (BCCK) on March 3-4 this year.

BPIEF is Sarawak’s largest education fair with participation from over 100 universities and colleges around the globe, for students and parents to explore the variety of undergraduate and postgraduate programmes offered.

The University of Southampton will be located at booth A31.

Application forms for October 2012 intake can be downloaded from the Malaysia campus website at http://www.southampton.ac.uk/my/applicationform. For more information about the courses, please visit: http://www.southampton.edu.my.

Last edited:

crystal_tiong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Heavy traffic expected at Woodlands, Tuas checkpoints over CNY
11:05 AM Jan 17, 2012SINGAPORE - Travellers can expect heavy traffic at the Woodlands and Tuas checkpoints throughout the Lunar New Year holidays, said the Immigration and Checkpoints Authority (ICA) today.

THe traffic build-up is expected to start from Friday and continue until Tuesday, Jan 24.

With enhanced security checks, traffic build-up is inevitable, especially when a large number of travellers use the checkpoints at the same time, added ICA. It advised travellers to adjust their travel plans, if possible.

The authority also urged travellers to maintain lane discipline, car-pool or take public transport. Singaporeans with the BioPass or who are registered with the National Registration Office could also use the enhanced Immigration Automated Clearance System lanes at the bus halls for speedy clearance.

To check on the traffic situation in advance, travellers can check the traffic situation at the Land Transport Authority's One Motoring website, call the traffic information hotline at 6863-0117 or listen to TrafficWatch on radio. CHANNEL NEWSASIA

Simi is Biopass ? Not MACS ah.

trithl

Alfrescian
Loyal
anybody placed a cheque for The Greens? Type A or type B?

I personally prefer type A due to the guestroom design...

TrulyAsia

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Sunset,

Which area did you go for car glooming? Normally I will patronize those along Jln Dato Abdullah Tahir, where the competition is stiff (car wash + vacuum/clean interior for RM8, wax+polish for RM150). Somewhere nearby is the site for Setia 88, which slated to be the tallest skyscraper in JB with around 50-60 floors. Really look forward but I will be happier if any developer would clear up the mess at Pacific mall (what an eyesore and embarassment, an abandoned project for >10yrs) prominently located near JB custom.

Actually there are plenty of good makan places in JB downtown, for instance "Gu Zhao Ren" at Jln Harimau, Emperor herbal chicken at Taman Sentosa and Hainanese chicken cutlet at Jln Trus are very famous. If you want to taste the wanton noodle by Ho Seng Kee, be prepared to wait for 0.5 to 1hr during the weekend.:biggrin:
For hi-tea, can try the sky lounge at Grand Paragon. Excellent view on top and the ambience was really nice, ordered beer and food (servings for 2) & the bill was around RM70+.

Beware if you intend to go for car accessories shops in JB, many are contented to do "one-time business":mad:Hence I only spend on essential items for my car.
Awaiting for your photos and report on latest findings at HR surrounding area..:biggrin:

Hi Truly Asia,

Thank you for your infor, actually I was there again last yesterday 15/01/2012, to get my car wax & polish for $80 sing, not bad after that car shinier than before :smile:. And also to go check out on the status of the development HR. Was at HR at about 12 plus and all the workers going out for lunch. Your Tower A is really shaping up already, from the main road (after the 2 large water tank) you can see towards your right slightly, the 3 rd level I think , of HR already. But tower B still at car park level. I will try to post the pictures in later post.
I will try the makan place you rcommended. And for the car servicing you recommended, do they do up your car, like door light pointers, daylight etc....? Or purely car servicing per se. Also must check out the "liner park, lake & jogging track"? Am not sure where but will try to find out
:rolleyes: :biggrin:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.