• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Living in JB 2 (Johore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newbie2012

Alfrescian
Loyal
I read with interest that management staffs are complaining about difficulty in recruiting Singaporean talents in SG. It suddenly dawn on me that they are following the footsteps taken by our elite government.

Our govt has shown no interest to grow the true blue Singaporean population; they prefer the easy and quick fix way by converting foreigners to Singaporeans without giving a serious thought to the long term problem it can cause to our beloved country. Foreigners has varied and different cultures and our govt are not even selective on the types of foreigners to convert them into pseudo-Singaporeans.

Same here with management staffs; has the management schools forgotten to teach these people how to train and grow their employees into talents. Is it more cost efficient to go out and recruit talents by poaching talents from competitors? Wouldn't this cause a vicious cycle and "spoilt" the talents by making them complacent; they might even develop a side talent to job-hop around.

If there is not enough talents around, can our management staffs possess the ability to change their tact and start nurturing talents from the mediocre? If the whole world is short of talents, are we going outer-space to recruit talented aliens?

We should sit down quietly for a moment and think deeply what kind of values we are cultivating here and what kind of values are being lost as our leaders, whether political or commercial, took the easy route out to solve problems.

If the our govt is useless, we can still vote them out after 5 years. But if our management staffs are incapable; what can our workers do?

Last edited:

Newbie2012

Alfrescian
Loyal
I shall seek and speak the truth here when I see a need to. If anyone of you thinks that its a pain to hear the truths or my views, you are welcome to deduct my points under cover. :smile:

I would continue speaking the truths here until I am unable to do so and that shall be the end of my contribution or "shit" here, if you prefer to call it that way, and rest assured there will never be a self-clone of myself in here as I am what I am and cloning me is just not possible and I am not so naive to do so because a clone is so easy to catch.

But I must apologize if some of you had found my words or views to be too harsh, emotional or unbearable. It was intentional to invoke deeper thoughts from forumers here and also to attract the necessary views to create the necessary impact. Take it as this is an "election" platform for me to air my views to you; you can't expect our President Tony Tan to be meek and nice when he is on the election platform talking about his rivals, right? :smile:

Last edited:

Newbie2012

Alfrescian
Loyal
Minister Khaw has come out and called UOB 50-years home a gimmick and also mentioned that he is keeping tabs on the number of applicants for the 50-year home loans. He advise property hunters to spend within their means and not to fall for UOB 50 years home loan as it doesn't make sense.

Would be interesting to see how UOB will react and also whether MAS will act.

jasonjst

Alfrescian
Loyal
One of my friend blame government sector for the lack of talent in private sector.
He came from government sector and he says there are many talented people with very good technical skill, once enter public sector, is reduce to doing administrative, uncreative routine work. He felt the government should "release" some of these talents to private sector so as to create the cross pollination of ideas and culture. I agree with him to certain extend since the public sector has been very successful in attracting top graduates.

Hmm. better not "release" these kind of $$ greedy pigs into the real world, incase they "poison " the market with their elites, P$P mindset. Can you imagine, your director talking about $$, and blame locals for lacking talents all the time? A Japanese director once tells us this: - You have two sons, one is highly intelligent, capable earning big buck, but his heart is not with you. The other son is just an average performer but is very loyal and always thinks for you. Which son will you adore?

muncheah

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro Muncheah

I have 2 children of school going age and was also staring at the crossroads like you. If money is the least of my concern, I would have preferred an alternative education path for them. On the stress level in primary school, whilst it is to be expected, it goes against the grain of my own childhood experience. Maybe I really played more than studied but the way the children are being conditioned these days, I am deeply concerned.

For those who are parents, you may agree with me that the school no longer is the platform for learning but it is all but a stage. Many of the students these days 'learn' outside the school system through the enrichment classes and for some, the parents. Teachers skim through the lessons and if the children are out of synch with the pace, the question (what is wrong is your son?) will be thrown back at you.

Despite all the hype and talk that the Singapore education is the best in the world (or is it?), we continue to lack behind the Foreign Talents (FTs). At least that is what the Government and employers think so.

I read up about Marlborough and like the emphasis on an all-round education (including sports and arts). If I can afford it, it would be my choice. :smile: :smile: :smile:

haha... I'm Sis Muncheah:p

thanks for your sharing.
Me and my husband are graduate from Malaysia and we had very wonderful childhood. but we still can have a good life and good job in SIN.
The main reason make us to have this thinking is we really not wish our son childhood becoming schooling, tuition, exam, tuition and tuition again and again....then nothing else... sound so sad, right??? this is what SIN parents doing now, we fell scary!!! But if we are not find the way to give him an alternative education, he'll become one of them:o

I'm not sure my planning can be work or not, wish sis n bro here can give advise to smooth and make my planning happen.
All will only happen from Aug'2013:
- we planned to rent out our 5 room HDB with legally and rental estimated ~$2500/month, able to cover the Marlborough college fee.
- we move to HH Condo ( we bought on 2011) expected will get the key by Q3 2013
- me and husband back and forth to work at SIN
- Kid go to college on early morning with us, fetch him from college after work.

Last edited:

battleangel

Alfrescian
Loyal
No offense, but i think your innocuous comment here might upset some of our Singaporean friends here because it does sound like you are milking profit from Singapore HDB. Btw, I'm SPR too...
Also, if you are SPR, you might not want to discuss your intention to rent out HDB as under new HDB regulations, SPR can sublet their HDB not more than 5 years.

Last edited:

muncheah

Alfrescian
Loyal
No offense, but i think your innocuous comment here might upset some of our Singaporean friends here because it does sound like you are milking profit from Singapore HDB. Btw, I'm SPR too...
Also, if you are SPR, you might not want to discuss your intention to rent out HDB as under new HDB regulations, SPR can sublet their HDB not more than 5 years.

Ooop... i do not mean upset anyone here, but just my own opinion.
personally i like SIN very much and i had converted to Citizen since 5 years ago, but till now still can't accept the education here

Funds Transfer

Alfrescian
Loyal

thanks for your sharing.
Me and my husband are graduate from Malaysia and we had very wonderful childhood. but we still can have a good life and good job in SIN.
The main reason make us to have this thinking is we really not wish our son childhood becoming schooling, tuition, exam, tuition and tuition again and again....then nothing else... sound so sad, right??? this is what SIN parents doing now, we fell scary!!! But if we are not find the way to give him an alternative education, he'll become one of them:o

I'm not sure my planning can be work or not, wish sis n bro here can give advise to smooth and make my planning happen.
- we planned to rent out our 5 room HDB with legally and rental estimated ~$2500/month, able to cover the Marlborough college fee.
- Kid go to college on early morning with us, fetch him from college after work.

Thanks for the clarification, Sis Muncheah :smile:

I am glad that sense and sensibility have prevailed for some parents. It is evident that parents in Singapore are focusing so much on the enrichment classes that they have suspended common sense. Teachers with no credentials have managed to set up shop and duped worried parents who are always so keen to get their children ahead - by hook or crook. Let's hope that we can swim against this tide.

Though I have residences in Nusajaya, I am still not sure how to cope with the commute. But your plan looks feasible and perhaps akin to what many are already doing or aiming to do.

Let's hope the bros and sisters here could add more comments to your plan. The costs of an education in Marlborough remain a challenge for me and the path will be a distant dream.

Nusajaya

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you calculate based on similar terms, i.e RM1 million terrace with RM 800k loan at 4.5% interest over 30 years, the monthly mortgage repayment would be unbearable to most local malaysian workers except maybe the doctors, lawyers and some businessman.

Dear Newbie2012,

I have to correct your misconception that everything in Nusajaya seems to be waiting for Singaporeans before it gets successful. You are absolutely wrong. Sorry to say that you have projected a view which is rather naive and I was very glad that Bro Investor shared his wisdom! I have just quoted below a statement from an article on the sales of Danga Island similar to Sentosa Cove. These properties ranging from RM 4 million to RM 12 million. I would like to offer you a thought, you dont need to be earning millions before you would own a million dollar property! If you want to know how, try playing Cashflow Game.......

"Of the 70% Danga Island Villas units sold todate, Datuk Lim said 27% of the purchasers were Johoreans, 28% from Kuala Lumpur and Penang, and 6% from Sabah and Sarawak. Purchasers from the Middle East countries, India, Pakistan, Canada and Spain accounted for about 38%, 5% from Singapore and 2% from Hong Kong."

Cheers
N

butadesu

Alfrescian
Loyal
Minister Khaw has come out and called UOB 50-years home a gimmick and also mentioned that he is keeping tabs on the number of applicants for the 50-year home loans. He advise property hunters to spend within their means and not to fall for UOB 50 years home loan as it doesn't make sense.

He is not giving good financial advice. Everyone knows the most financially sound thing to do now is buy the biggest HDB your bank can lend you and rent out the extra rooms.

Last edited:

hippoheyhey

Alfrescian
Loyal

thanks for your sharing.

Hi sis,

Like to hear your plan on how you will commute to SIN daily?

butadesu

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Newbie2012,

I have to correct your misconception that everything in Nusajaya seems to be waiting for Singaporeans before it gets successful. You are absolutely wrong. Sorry to say that you have projected a view which is rather naive and I was very glad that Bro Investor shared his wisdom! I have just quoted below a statement from an article on the sales of Danga Island similar to Sentosa Cove. These properties ranging from RM 4 million to RM 12 million. I would like to offer you a thought, you dont need to be earning millions before you would own a million dollar property! If you want to know how, try playing Cashflow Game.......

"Of the 70% Danga Island Villas units sold todate, Datuk Lim said 27% of the purchasers were Johoreans, 28% from Kuala Lumpur and Penang, and 6% from Sabah and Sarawak. Purchasers from the Middle East countries, India, Pakistan, Canada and Spain accounted for about 38%, 5% from Singapore and 2% from Hong Kong."

Cheers
N

Hi Bro Nusajaya,
I agree with you that Nusajaya does not has to wait for Singaporeans before it get successful but I believe Nusajaya need Singapore economy to be successful. I am sure a large number of Malaysian investing in Nusajaya either work in Singapore or has business affiliation with Singapore.

As for Danga Island development, it targets the very high end market and the very high end market usually attracts very international investors.

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal

He is not giving good financial advice. Everyone knows the most financially sound thing to do now is buy the biggest HDB your bank can lend you and rent out the extra rooms.

I believe the directive for UOB to introduce their 50-year loan is to bank on future en-bloc sales of new developments. As we all know in Singapore, not many development will last more than 50 years and hence, the property you buy today would most likely to be "en-bloc" before the 50-year loan is up. And taking into consideration that one will sure to gain from such an arrangement, therefore, it does make some sense to take up their 50-year loan.

In other words, UOB is smart because they are passing the work (and probably some risks) to their customers whilst they need only to play the role as lenders. At the end of the day, the banks are the ones to reap the most out of the least work done and with minimal risks.

Newbie2012

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Newbie2012,

Cheers
N

Thanks for trying but I have to correct your misunderstanding.

I mentioned $1 million dollar terrace, not villas. Villas can be afforded by the few percentage of rich Malaysians, definitely. These few percentage can even buy up the whole Danga Island villas if they chose to but will they do so is another thing that can be discussed elsewhere. But wouldn't think they would be interested in $1 million dollar terrace.

I had never said that the success of the Nusajaya project depends on Singaporeans. I said Singaporeans and SPRs will play an important part in supporting the high asking price of Iskandar developers.

And definition of SPRs is Singapore Permanent Residents and they could be very well be Caucasians, Pinoys, PRCs, Japanese and definitely include Malaysians and a huge numbers of them. I would suspect there are even more Malaysians SPRs than Singaporeans buying properties in the Iskandar area because of their familiarity with better understanding of JB roads, culture, Malay language and political scene.

Last edited:

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
This brings along another bugbear among Singaporeans. MANAGING EXPECTATIONS!
When the government pay themselves millions of dollars a year and keep telling everyone in the world that they are the best, the brightest, the smartest, the cleanest and most effectiveness, then why is life getting more difficult than before? Yes, I may be earning more $ than before but has my quality of life improve?
To be fair, our government (relative to other countries) are indeed very effective. I mean come, u look at Japan and US politician? many are actor, actress, comedian, broadcaster etc. Our leader are lawyers, doctors, economist and engineers leh. However, our leaders have marketed themselves in the position that now people are beginning to wonder are they really so good or are they "value" for money? I mean we are paying them CEO pay, not peanut engineer pay!! And it doesn't put them in good picture when terrorist start running away from prison, flood in orchard and YOG overspend 3x? I know they are not saint, flood is natural disaster, terrorist escape is an accident, YOG overspend, well everyone overspend for Olympics. But building insufficient housing and inadequate transport is definitely a policy mistake. I mean hey, how do u justify how many houses to build every year? Of course based on population growth! If you know u are growing your pop and fails to build, then is a policy mistake. (I'm assuming we illegal immigrant are negligible here :P )

In the last few years, they have already proven themselves to be NOT the best, infact not even mediocre but sub-standard. One obvious example: a minister who argued against $30 or so increase for poor needy but had no qualms overspending 3x to $300m or something for YOG.

Last edited:

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hmm. better not "release" these kind of $$ greedy pigs into the real world, incase they "poison " the market with their elites, P$P mindset. Can you imagine, your director talking about $$, and blame locals for lacking talents all the time? A Japanese director once tells us this: - You have two sons, one is highly intelligent, capable earning big buck, but his heart is not with you. The other son is just an average performer but is very loyal and always thinks for you. Which son will you adore?

I think their only talent is to spend money like water buying high end goods for their own consumption like the expensive office chairs, bicycle and who knows what else they bought. Good value and less maintenance mah the minister said. If like that, everything also buy high end and most expensive sure good value, TT Durai flying first class is also good value, after all flying long distance is very tiring and CEO flying first class won't be so tiring and is good value too.

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
In the last few years, they have already proven themselves to be NOT the best, infact not even mediocre but sub-standard. One obvious example: a minister who argued against $30 or so increase for poor needy but had no qualms overspending 3x to $300m or something.

From what I know, they are only good at artificially increasing the country's GDP at the expense of the average and lower income groups' livelihood. By doing so, many from these 2 groups are made even more miserable presently.

This to me is not a good nor caring government worthy of any mention. They only care for themselves and the top 33% elites, not as a nation in general.

Last edited:

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ooop... i do not mean upset anyone here, but just my own opinion.
personally i like SIN very much and i had converted to Citizen since 5 years ago, but till now still can't accept the education here

Just curious, your spouse and children convert to citizen too?

Newbie2012

Alfrescian
Loyal
I believe the directive for UOB to introduce their 50-year loan is to bank on future en-bloc sales of new developments. As we all know in Singapore, not many development will last more than 50 years and hence, the property you buy today would most likely to be "en-bloc" before the 50-year loan is up. And taking into consideration that one will sure to gain from such an arrangement, therefore, it does make some sense to take up their 50-year loan.

In other words, UOB is smart because they are passing the work (and probably some risks) to their customers whilst they need only to play the role as lenders. At the end of the day, the banks are the ones to reap the most out of the least work done and with minimal risks.

Certainly, if one tries hard and chose to, they can even see much value in a bucket of shit offered to them (my apology... for the sake of impact).

I wouldn't think UOB bank would want to speculate which block of properties would have en-bloc potential as it would means their 50 years will be based on selective properties and not on the conditions spelled out by them earlier. And it is not any bank expertise or business operation to speculate on the the en-bloc potential of properties and en-bloc potential of a property does not really affect their profitability or reduce their risk from the mortgage loan they gave out.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal

Glad that SPR admit that there are SPRs milking profit from Singapore HDB. Another common way to take advantage is one spouse convert to citizen, one spouse remains SPR, and then both applies BTO for even more profit.

Status
Not open for further replies.