• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Living in JB 2 (Johore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
The effort and resolve taken by the govt to solve the problems are not even near the half-hearted mark. How to you grade such performance below?

1. Decrease the annual INCREASE in number of foreign workers in SG. Half-Hearted (H-H ) effort would be to stop the abosulute increase in number of foreign workers in SG, not its annual increase in numbers!

2. Telling Singaporeans to tolerate and accept the inconsiderate and bolder behaviour of Pinoys and PRCs enclaves in SG. H-H effort is to gently berate and tell the foreign enclaves to know where their stand should be.

3. Limit the number of years that PRs can rent out their HDB flats to max 5 years. H-H effort will be to give them 3 years to sell off their HDB flats in the market when they are not staying in it anymore. HDB flats should never have been held by non-Singaporeans for rental or investment purposes especially at times when supplies are very limited.

I think it is obvious to discerning citizens whether govt is half hearted or not in their efforts. But of course to foreigners, they see it differently from their point of view and some tried to influence others to think it is acceptable.

Last edited:

Lord Aragorn

Alfrescian
Loyal
whoami said:
Yes. W/P holders no problem with most Sporeans. Its those S and E/P tat hinders qualified Sporeans fm holding such jobs! I have seen US, French, Korean, Japanese, etc E/P holders working with their respective companies. So how does foreign companies investing here benefits the man in the street? I have seen GRO (non sporeans) working with our local hotels. So they have more knowledge of Spore than our locals?:rolleyes:

Personally, I think the government is tweaking the right areas by increasing min salary requirement, changing ratios, and refining the rules for dependent passes. The reality is that we need foreigners. At 2% unemployment rate, we just can't get enough Singaporeans to fill critical jobs.

My company has more than half Singaporeans. Personally, I prefer Singaporeans to foreigners, all things being equal. Because Singaporeans understand the business domain faster. Reality is that when we open up a position, very few qualified Singaporeans apply. Many unqualified foreigners apply too, but the law of large numbers dictate that you will find the right persons from the larger pool.

If there were no EPs, we would have relocated and more than half of my company's Singaporeans will lose their jobs. That's the reality of business. I don't like it, but we don't have much of a choice. We are competing with the world - the good old days where competition is only local is gone.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Personally, I think the government is tweaking the right areas by increasing min salary requirement, changing ratios, and refining the rules for dependent passes. The reality is that we need foreigners. At 2% unemployment rate, we just can't get enough Singaporeans to fill critical jobs.

My company has more than half Singaporeans. Personally, I prefer Singaporeans to foreigners, all things being equal. Because Singaporeans understand the business domain faster. Reality is that when we open up a position, very few qualified Singaporeans apply. Many unqualified foreigners apply too, but the law of large numbers dictate that you will find the right persons from the larger pool.

If there were no EPs, we would have relocated and more than half of my company's Singaporeans will lose their jobs. That's the reality of business. I don't like it, but we don't have much of a choice. We are competing with the world - the good old days where competition is only local is gone.

Increasing minimum salary is not effective, companies have been known to inflate the salary to reach desired salary level but paid out less. What is needed is stringent administrative government controls like other countries to ensure companies put in all efforts to hire Singaporeans at suitable salary level and hire foreigners only when able to justify they can't find Singaporeans.

I find it strange that companies suddenly cant find Singaporeans or Malaysans to work as service staff in the last few years and instead have to hire Pinoys. It is easy to give the excuse of can't find Singaporeans but should delve into the reason behind, the real reason is salary levels have gone too low for Singaporeans to do the job with employers having the easy option to switch to Pinoys. It started with construction, then cleaners, then service staff, already happening is PMET, next is Singapore business taken over by foreigners?

As for defendant pass, I think many people were not even aware PAP was so liberal in granting the defendant pass in the past, no wonder can see so many elderly foreigners brought in.

Lord Aragorn

Alfrescian
Loyal
ginfreely said:
Increasing minimum salary is not effective, companies have been known to inflate the salary to reach desired salary level but paid out less. What is needed is stringent administrative government controls like other countries to ensure companies put in all efforts to hire Singaporeans at suitable salary level and hire foreigners only when able to justify they can't find Singaporeans.

I find it strange that companies suddenly cant find Singaporeans or Malaysans to work as service staff in the last few years and instead have to hire Pinoys. It is easy to give the excuse of can't find Singaporeans but should delve into the reason behind, the real reason is salary levels have gone too low for Singaporeans to do the job with employers having the easy option to switch to Pinoys. It started with construction, then cleaners, then service staff, already happening is PMET, next is Singapore business taken over by foreigners?

As for defendant pass, I think many people were not even aware PAP was so liberal in granting the defendant pass in the past, no wonder can see so many elderly foreigners brought in.

I agree - I'm also unhappy to see the uncles in my favorite petrol kiosks replaced with young Chinese girls.

I think the govt will move in that direction, while making sure that the oversight do not become too onerous and chase businesses away like some other countries. The challenge is to strike the correct balance, and I agree that the balance should be tilted towards more stringent controls.

summervale

Alfrescian
Loyal
Aragorn, you still believe the 2% unemployment rate? Personally, I feel if some companies choose to close down because of excuses such as cannot find suitable "candidate", so be it. :smile:

I believe you are in the management level, frankly do you think this EP's can help? I doubt so, because I met many of them, mostly are green, those experience one would like to replace you. :smile:

Lord Aragorn

Alfrescian
Loyal
summervale said:
Aragorn, you still believe the 2% unemployment rate? Personally, I feel if some companies choose to close down because of excuses such as cannot find suitable "candidate", so be it. :smile:

I believe you are in the management level, frankly do you think this EP's can help? I doubt so, because I met many of them, mostly are green, those experience one would like to replace you. :smile:

I run the company. And I feel the 2% unemployment rate first hand. All my employees are minimum EP, no S pass. So there is no requirement for me to hire Singaporeans, yet we've more than half Singaporeans. We fight for the best talents - local or otherwise - to compete globally.

It's a real challenge to find enough Singaporeans to fill up critical positions. And we pay above market rates with a strong brand in the market place. So pay is not an issue. The real issue is talent. We've many SG talent in the company, but there is just not enough to stay ahead of the competition. What the government say is true - at least in my case - that Singaporeans will lose their job if companies like mine can't get enough foreigners to fill the talent gap. I cannot emphasize enough that today, we are competing with the best in the world, not the best in SG.

jasonjst

Alfrescian
Loyal
I agree - I'm also unhappy to see the uncles in my favorite petrol kiosks replaced with young Chinese girls.

I think the govt will move in that direction, while making sure that the oversight do not become too onerous and chase businesses away like some other countries. The challenge is to strike the correct balance, and I agree that the balance should be tilted towards more stringent controls.

Come on, million dollar ministers cannot figure out all these "oversight" and make a correct balance? Or could it be these million dollar ministers/agents are enjoying some sex favors from their 3rd world counterpart who supplies the cheap FTs ?

summervale

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks for writing. A while ago, I got an exact feedback from another boss in another company.
But, 2% unemployment rate is not exactly the problem for your case, it is problem of our best talents leaving the country for greener pasture.
Even the local univeristies have difficult recruiting the brightest local to fill up their PhD positions.
Once these talents left to do pursue their studies or work elsewhere, most likely is that they are gone forever.

Even, I myself are tempted to leave (even at my age) this shithole, but because of so many committment (personal) here and my kids education, I have no choice but to stay. I even bought a property in Jb to convince myself to retire there. :smile:

I run the company. And I feel the 2% unemployment rate first hand. All my employees are minimum EP, no S pass. So there is no requirement for me to hire Singaporeans, yet we've more than half Singaporeans. We fight for the best talents - local or otherwise - to compete globally.

It's a real challenge to find enough Singaporeans to fill up critical positions. And we pay above market rates with a strong brand in the market place. So pay is not an issue. The real issue is talent. We've many SG talent in the company, but there is just not enough to stay ahead of the competition. What the government say is true - at least in my case - that Singaporeans will lose their job if companies like mine can't get enough foreigners to fill the talent gap. I cannot emphasize enough that today, we are competing with the best in the world, not the best in SG.

butadesu

Alfrescian
Loyal
Come on, million dollar ministers cannot figure out all these "oversight" and make a correct balance? Or could it be these million dollar ministers/agents are enjoying some sex favors from their 3rd world counterpart who supplies the cheap FTs ?

This brings along another bugbear among Singaporeans. MANAGING EXPECTATIONS!
When the government pay themselves millions of dollars a year and keep telling everyone in the world that they are the best, the brightest, the smartest, the cleanest and most effectiveness, then why is life getting more difficult than before? Yes, I may be earning more $ than before but has my quality of life improve?
To be fair, our government (relative to other countries) are indeed very effective. I mean come, u look at Japan and US politician? many are actor, actress, comedian, broadcaster etc. Our leader are lawyers, doctors, economist and engineers leh. However, our leaders have marketed themselves in the position that now people are beginning to wonder are they really so good or are they "value" for money? I mean we are paying them CEO pay, not peanut engineer pay!! And it doesn't put them in good picture when terrorist start running away from prison, flood in orchard and YOG overspend 3x? I know they are not saint, flood is natural disaster, terrorist escape is an accident, YOG overspend, well everyone overspend for Olympics. But building insufficient housing and inadequate transport is definitely a policy mistake. I mean hey, how do u justify how many houses to build every year? Of course based on population growth! If you know u are growing your pop and fails to build, then is a policy mistake. (I'm assuming we illegal immigrant are negligible here :P )

summervale

Alfrescian
Loyal
The trouble with these ministers are that they claimed they have attracted so "many" talents from aboard but don't they keep track how many local talents leaving from the backyard?

These local talents are not replacable.

jasonjst

Alfrescian
Loyal
This brings along another bugbear among Singaporeans. MANAGING EXPECTATIONS!
When the government pay themselves millions of dollars a year and keep telling everyone in the world that they are the best, the brightest, the smartest, the cleanest and most effectiveness, then why is life getting more difficult than before? Yes, I may be earning more $ than before but has my quality of life improve?
To be fair, our government (relative to other countries) are indeed very effective. I mean come, u look at Japan and US politician? many are actor, actress, comedian, broadcaster etc. Our leader are lawyers, doctors, economist and engineers leh. However, our leaders have marketed themselves in the position that now people are beginning to wonder are they really so good or are they "value" for money? I mean we are paying them CEO pay, not peanut engineer pay!! And it doesn't put them in good picture when terrorist start running away from prison, flood in orchard and YOG overspend 3x? I know they are not saint, flood is natural disaster, terrorist escape is an accident, YOG overspend, well everyone overspend for Olympics. But building insufficient housing and inadequate transport is definitely a policy mistake. I mean hey, how do u justify how many houses to build every year? Of course based on population growth! If you know u are growing your pop and fails to build, then is a policy mistake. (I'm assuming we illegal immigrant are negligible here :P )

Look at the 10 million spent on COI for MRT, just to conclude that poor maintenance is causing all these. You pay RM 100 buck to your mechanic in JB, he can draw the some conclusion and may even fix that broken bolt for you.

butadesu

Alfrescian
Loyal
Look at the 10 million spent on COI for MRT, just to conclude that poor maintenance is causing all these. You pay RM 100 buck to your mechanic in JB, he can draw the some conclusion and may even fix that broken bolt for you.

I felt, the 10million has to be spent somehow. Because after all, we Singaporean trust "Brand". So must get the "experts" over, go to court with expensive lawyers etc. I guess it has to be part of the process. How else can you "convince" the public of the result?
However, I felt having SMRT as private company running the rail is again the government trying to find the easy way out in doing things. The motivation of a private company is to generate profit. And providing a comfortable train ride does not generate profit. Squeezing everyone like sardine generates profits!! So if your KPI is to generate profit. What should u do?
1. Add more trains, increase frequency, create more space in the train, increase my overhead cost
2. Wayang wayang, maintain just enough number of train, let them squeeze, let them wait. Cannot board, wait for next train. Still cannot board? Ask them to wake up earlier!! Anyway, they don't have a choice do they? How many can afford 100k car? Or else ask them take my bus or taxi lor!

curiouscat

Alfrescian
Loyal
No one can. This is the first year they are open. It will take years to see how it is doing. Based on their reputation and the teachers they hire you can start to feel comfortable. But no matter what the reputation is you need to see what actually happens on the ground to know.

I would have to talk directly with the teachers if I was considering it. And see resumes for the teachers and senior staff and a plan for how they were going to make it successful. You need to use much more thought today that you will in 5 years. After some track record is established it will be much easier. But even then judging between 2 schools if very hard. One has to be tons better before you can really see a difference that is reliable - even then just two teachers that interact with your kid a lot can make a huge difference.

curiouscat

Alfrescian
Loyal
Attracting talent to supplement your country and target a few key areas is wise. Especially when you do it in new emerging markets/technologies while you develop internally. Brining in too much foreign talent is costly and risky. Developing your own talent is the best by far (supplemented with some talent from overseas - and hopefully some of your talent going overseas and then coming back…).

butadesu

Alfrescian
Loyal

One of my friend blame government sector for the lack of talent in private sector.
He came from government sector and he says there are many talented people with very good technical skill, once enter public sector, is reduce to doing administrative, uncreative routine work. He felt the government should "release" some of these talents to private sector so as to create the cross pollination of ideas and culture. I agree with him to certain extend since the public sector has been very successful in attracting top graduates.

summervale

Alfrescian
Loyal
Aragorn, I read my earlier message and realised that I was too carried away. Sorry about that because to me this country is becoming more like a stranger to me.

I understand your points here as a businessman. Sorry can't help much except hope you can find your ideal employees for your company. BTW, also realised that some EP holders were unable to renew their EP and have to apply for S pass instead. Have you encountered any case in your company?

Also, you got a really nice house. Congrad.

Even, I myself are tempted to leave (even at my age) this shithole, but because of so many committment (personal) here and my kids education, I have no choice but to stay. I even bought a property in Jb to convince myself to retire there. :smile:

summervale

Alfrescian
Loyal
Fully agreed with you.

I don't know about others but definitely not my buddies that have left years ago.

Attracting talent to supplement your country and target a few key areas is wise. Especially when you do it in new emerging markets/technologies while you develop internally. Brining in too much foreign talent is costly and risky. Developing your own talent is the best by far (supplemented with some talent from overseas - and hopefully some of your talent going overseas and then coming back…).

Lord Aragorn

Alfrescian
Loyal
butadesu said:
One of my friend blame government sector for the lack of talent in private sector.
He came from government sector and he says there are many talented people with very good technical skill, once enter public sector, is reduce to doing administrative, uncreative routine work. He felt the government should "release" some of these talents to private sector so as to create the cross pollination of ideas and culture. I agree with him to certain extend since the public sector has been very successful in attracting top graduates.

I agree - but I don't put the blame on the government for being too successful in attracting talents. Rather, I think there are 2 areas that can improved in order to have more talented Singaporeans in the private sector doing real work and contributing o the society.

First, is to release the talents from the finance industry. I think their current pay is mispriced on the high side, at least in certain quarters.

Second is to encourage individuals to be more enterprising through a dynamic educational system, with more success stories, opportunities and right support for Singaporean companies.

Lord Aragorn

Alfrescian
Loyal
summervale said:
Aragorn, I read my earlier message and realised that I was too carried away. Sorry about that because to me this country is becoming more like a stranger to me.

I understand your points here as a businessman. Sorry can't help much except hope you can find your ideal employees for your company. BTW, also realised that some EP holders were unable to renew their EP and have to apply for S pass instead. Have you encountered any case in your company?

Also, you got a really nice house. Congrad.

I thought you were too carried away too... But I can understand where most people are coming from. I thought i could contribute to the discussion by giving the perspective from the other side.

Fortunately, I have not had EP problems yet. Probably because we pay above market rates. But I have certainly heard many horror stories on foreigners not being able to renew EP / S passes, etc. This has forced some companies to scale back or close - but these are companies that focus on price competition, often for commodity work and not creative work. So I think that's not a bad outcome. The disadvantage is that costs will go up in the entire value chain, but so be it.

Therefore, I think the tweaks are in the right areas. It just needs time to pan out.

re Straits View, I've maintained in this forum since last year that it's a deal worth looking at. Just this weekend, I was surprised to find out that bungalow prices have risen by half a million! This was due to the strong take up rates, completion of the clubhouse, swimming pool, etc and more importantly, the completion of EDL and 2nd permas bridge. In just 2 weeks since they launched phase 5, more than 40% of the available units were snapped up, mainly by referrals and those who didn't manage to get units in earlier phases.

It's pretty expensive now, but I hope one or two forummers here would have bought a unit in earlier phases so that we can be neighbors! :smile: So far, I'm probably the only one though... Not surprising as its a small development compared to HH, EL, LF or Senibong Cove.

vincentck

Alfrescian
Loyal
summervale said:
Same thing in my company, couldn't renew the EP for my staff. Submitted an appeal and hoping for positive results. Were those rejected EPs non-Malaysians?

Status
Not open for further replies.