• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Living in JB 2 (Johore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Salary is definitely lower but the purchasing power parity is stronger. Still, it may not warrant a big expenditure on property but we should cast an eye on those real estate in Kuala Lumpur and Penang. Hopefully, the prices of JB properties get there.

One more thing, the EPF pays better interest thatn CPF. Damn!

Yes, EPF is pretty sweet even though quite a few don't really need it to survive while CPF on the other hand. :(

siacw

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well I do think Singapore definitely got a lot of talent. however given the same task foreigner like msian, chinese, indian, pinoy,....etc can do it a lot cheaper.

arsenal

Alfrescian
Loyal
you should tell them the talents are now living in jb and work in singapore.. if they set up their
office in nusa jaya... they can look for wuqi or myself.. we can help them make lots of money... and wiling to produce babies for the company future..

A huge self pawn from our government finally came home to roost recently when i spoke with some guys from Europe and US to move their IT operations to Asia and in particularly to Singapore of course.

All went well until one guy said, but you guys have no talents, your government keeps advertising overseas for talents. You guys don't even have
any talents and must always need to import, how can we sustain and grow our business to attract the best if there are not enough talents in Singapore?

Then more chipped in with bad things to say about SG and in the end, the proposal was scrapped and it was only myself defending SG. The rest just kept quiet. Everyone else was sadly quiet.

Now because of the many campaigns to cheapen the people and itself, many of these large company bosses thinks Singapore is a desert bereft of any talented people, i really hope the government wakes up.

Attracting talents is important and i never begrudge the really good ones. The thing is, they have gone to measures too extreme so that its spoiling the reputation of itself and its people overseas. A balance needs to be sought. I am sure the original purpose and intent was noble and for the good of Singapore but it has been left out in the sun too long.

Put it this way, with the impression they had of Singapore, they were very surprised that i was Singaporean. I told them honestly that there are at least a few hundred thousand if not a million who are better than me, its just that Singapore wants only the best and thats why they have open door policy for now.

One of them nodded as his firm was approached by one of our government representative recently and he pointed out to their campaign in the US and questioned about the country when it needs to import so many. He shared with us that if Singapore needs to import people from certain countries just to survive, then its no longer a country that is better. They might as well based their operations and development into these countries instead if they are coming out to Asia even though political climate, ease of business, may be harder. For some of these firms who are willing to pay pretty ok salaries(can fully pay for a 5 room hdb flat yearly) they definitely want good talents.

The rep had to leave in embarrassment. I felt really sad when things have turned out like that.

jasonjst

Alfrescian
Loyal
A huge self pawn from our government finally came home to roost recently when i spoke with some guys from Europe and US to move their IT operations to Asia and in particularly to Singapore of course.

All went well until one guy said, but you guys have no talents, your government keeps advertising overseas for talents. You guys don't even have
any talents and must always need to import, how can we sustain and grow our business to attract the best if there are not enough talents in Singapore?

Then more chipped in with bad things to say about SG and in the end, the proposal was scrapped and it was only myself defending SG. The rest just kept quiet. Everyone else was sadly quiet.

Now because of the many campaigns to cheapen the people and itself, many of these large company bosses thinks Singapore is a desert bereft of any talented people, i really hope the government wakes up.

Attracting talents is important and i never begrudge the really good ones. The thing is, they have gone to measures too extreme so that its spoiling the reputation of itself and its people overseas. A balance needs to be sought. I am sure the original purpose and intent was noble and for the good of Singapore but it has been left out in the sun too long.

Put it this way, with the impression they had of Singapore, they were very surprised that i was Singaporean. I told them honestly that there are at least a few hundred thousand if not a million who are better than me, its just that Singapore wants only the best and thats why they have open door policy for now.

One of them nodded as his firm was approached by one of our government representative recently and he pointed out to their campaign in the US and questioned about the country when it needs to import so many. He shared with us that if Singapore needs to import people from certain countries just to survive, then its no longer a country that is better. They might as well based their operations and development into these countries instead if they are coming out to Asia even though political climate, ease of business, may be harder. For some of these firms who are willing to pay pretty ok salaries(can fully pay for a 5 room hdb flat yearly) they definitely want good talents.

The rep had to leave in embarrassment. I felt really sad when things have turned out like that.

They will " Taichi" thier mistake back to the people. Just like the " stop at 2”, and currently the FTs integration issue.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
you should tell them the talents are now living in jb and work in singapore.. if they set up their
office in nusa jaya... they can look for wuqi or myself.. we can help them make lots of money... and wiling to produce babies for the company future..

Unfortunately the preoccupation with just getting workers cheaper is taking a toll. Yes in manufacturing, the price per unit cost is important but not when you are trying to do the next level in terms of industry. The mindset needs to change.

Seriously, some of them looked at the quality of work done recently and shook their heads. The shiny brand that is Singapore is fading away fast, yes we must innovate, we are small and thus should be relatively more nimble but the guys on top need to take a hard look at themselves.

People even asked me how did Singapore survive and thrive all this time? They now seem to think Pinoys, etc formed Singapore and worked hard to achieve the Singapore it is today. Then they asked me how come Philippines is still like that even though they have built Singapore. :(

Another even asked me, if there are really no talents in Singapore, "are there any locals at all in your government" They have the impression that the only talents in Singapore are all imported. If there are no talents in Singapore, it points to either no talents in the government or they must have been all imported en masse recently to make things better.

Businesses needs to relook at their long term strategies. Eventually with a majority of foreigners in Singapore, it will be very difficult not to do it the foreigners way. For example, If everyone choose to cross the road even if the light is red, even if they are in the wrong, the cars have to give way. Then it becomes a norm as this is the way they do it in their homeland. Since they are exhorted as being better and saviours, which foreigner will want to assimilate and join the locals way?

Then what makes Singapore different from the others? What is the differentiating factor, where are our advantages if all we can do is to replicate what others are doing. Replication can only get you so far, you need to have something else in the long run.

The social, political and economic costs needs to be reexamined in greater detail and fine tuned for LONG TERM, not short term gains. I do not blame the foreigners as no house rules were set from the start at all, of course things will be done their way instead. For the benefit of those up there and not doing anything, please refer to how strict even an "open" country like US on having people migrate and especially applying for jobs. Even New Zealand which desperately needs talents expects new migrants to assimilate and have a stringent criteria, etc.

To quote a friend "Dude, the way your guys are marketing, its as if Singapore is like a certain South African country where piracy is the only industry."

On a personal basis, the country i used to know have become so jaded and unfeeling in such a short span of years.

The selfish mentality that is now so prevalent in Singapore needs to change at some point, its suffocating especially for those who genuinely cares.

The father already can't be bothered and leave the children to fend for themselves, if the children continue to fight amongst themselves then its basically game over in the long run.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
now they can boast they manage to get an olympic bronze.. no talent can buy... suck..

Sports are always under the development of the government and its policies, not just its people. To say that there was not a single Olympic medal points and for more than half a century points not just to the fault of the people.

The government has never focused enough on it and the people are mainly scraping by as it is, everyone wants to get a job, how many can survive as an athlete in Singapore in the past? Of course now they pay these talents hundreds of thousands or millions. Ask any true blue Singaporean mother/father, if they knew that being an athlete can net so much income, they would have asked them to skip Uni from the start and concentrate on this.

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
But most Malaysian workers has relatively low salary compared to Singaporeans and SPR. So can use EPF also cannot afford million dollar JB property.

Actually JB locals monthly installment is not that far off from Singaporeans one. Assuming a SG condo cost $1m (80% loan = S$800K), over 30 years repayment period at 1.5% interest, monthly installment is S$2,761.

For a JB 2 story terrace at RM $700k (80% loan = RM560k), over 30 years repayment period at 4.5% interest, monthly installment is RM$2,837. Of course, if u ask the singaporeans, RM$2.8K becomes really affordable when you convert to SGD.

Investor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
But most Malaysian workers has relatively low salary compared to Singaporeans and SPR. So can use EPF also cannot afford million dollar JB property.

Just sharing my opinion, please don't be offended.

We cannot say that prices of landed properties in Sentosa Cove cannot sustain because 99.999% of Singaporeans cannot afford it. Even many multi-millionaires cannot afford a SGD30mil house in Sentosa Cove. Thus, we cannot say that the prices of high-end properties in Iskandar cannot sustain because the average workers in Malaysia cannot afford it. The targeted market for high-end products of any kind in this world is obviously the specific group who can afford it.

The group of people from Singapore who will buy a high-end landed property in Iskandar range from the middle income group to the multi-millionaires. Someone here might tell me that a multi-millionaire in Singapore will 'Never' step into Johor. I can't stop you from what you choose to believe but the fact(hard truth) is that even in this forum, we have a few multi-millionaires talking to you here who has a multi-million dollar bungalow in Iskandar whereby they visit just once or twice a year.

Last edited:

IskandarRocks

Alfrescian
Loyal

We cannot say that prices of landed properties in Sentosa Cove cannot sustain because 99.999% of Singaporeans cannot afford it. Even many multi-millionaires cannot afford a SGD30mil house in Sentosa Cove. Thus, we cannot say that the prices of high-end properties in Iskandar cannot sustain because the average workers in Malaysia cannot afford it. The targeted market for high-end products of any kind in this world is obviously the specific group who can afford it.

The group of people from Singapore who will buy a high-end landed property in Iskandar range from the middle income group to the multi-millionaires. Someone here might tell me that a multi-millionaire in Singapore will 'Never' step into Johor. I can't stop you from what you choose to believe but the fact(hard truth) is that even in this forum, we have a few multi-millionaires talking to you here who has a multi-million dollar bungalow in Iskandar whereby they visit just once or twice a year.

You have hit the nail on the head Investor!

This is particularly true for most Asian developing economies where there is a large gap in wealth and income between the rich and poor.
- Landed houses in central Delhi cost in excess of USD 5M, can an average Indian afford them?
- Some condos in South Mumbai are going for USD 3000 psf (believe it or not)
- Recent news that condos on Sukhumvit are now asking THB 200,000 per sqm (USD 700 psf), can the average Thai afford it?
- Ciputra group is selling luxury condos in Jakarta for USD 600 psf, can the average Indonesian afford it?
- I was in Vietnam last year on a work related project and found that sea view bungalows are selling for USD 1.5 M in Danang, we are are not even talking about HMC and Hanoi. So, can an average Vietnamese afford these?

In fact, looking at the high end property prices in the neighbouring countries mentioned above, high end prices in Malaysia has some ways to catch up with, despite the fact that the infrastructure and property ownership laws are far superior.

Let's face the reality, there are certain things in life just not meant for the 'average Joe'. Apologies if I have rubbed anyone the wrong way.

Coming back to Nusajaya, in addition to Singaporeans as mentioned by Investor, I was told by EL sales that several of the bungalows (started at RM 2M and at present going up to RM 4M) have been bought by Malaysians. There is a lot of wealth at the top of the Malaysian pyramid. The fact that Malaysians have now edged out the Chinese in terms of top foreign property buyers in Singapore is testimonial to their wealth. And btw, these high end developments are the most resilient to external factors, such as recession, since owners typically have some holding power, supply is limited, buyers are always on the lookout.

Last edited:

Newbie2012

Alfrescian
Loyal

Agreed. We not actually importing lots of foreign talents into SG. That is a real misconception due to our govt lying or using it as an excuse to import more cheap "foreign talents", basically cheaper labors to support our GDP growth.

Thanks to PAP Govt's propaganda, now everyone in the world thinks that Singapore has no local talents as we are massively importing foreign talents. No one will credit any great works or projects in Singapore to the effort of Singaporeans as they will assume it was built with the effort of many foreign talents just like the last olympic trophy for table tennis; Singapore did not really get the credit rather the credit goes to China for producing top sport talents who "emigrated" to Singapore.

Newbie2012

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually JB locals monthly installment is not that far off from Singaporeans one. Assuming a SG condo cost $1m (80% loan = S$800K), over 30 years repayment period at 1.5% interest, monthly installment is S$2,761.

For a JB 2 story terrace at RM $700k (80% loan = RM560k), over 30 years repayment period at 4.5% interest, monthly installment is RM$2,837. Of course, if u ask the singaporeans, RM$2.8K becomes really affordable when you convert to SGD.

If you calculate based on similar terms, i.e RM1 million terrace with RM 800k loan at 4.5% interest over 30 years, the monthly mortgage repayment would be unbearable to most local malaysian workers except maybe the doctors, lawyers and some businessman.

siacw

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you calculate based on similar terms, i.e RM1 million terrace with RM 800k loan at 4.5% interest over 30 years, the monthly mortgage repayment would be unbearable to most local malaysian workers except maybe the doctors, lawyers and some businessman.

SGD2.7K vs MYR2.7K.

most SGrean will use cpf account to pay for their loan, so they only need to top up like 1K+ from their disposable income.

but most msian will need to fork out all 2.7K from their disposable income. using EPf to pay monthly installment is still not that common in msia.

Newbie2012

Alfrescian
Loyal

Basically on surface, I can agree with your statements. But we have to bear in mind the following:

1. Sentosa Cove prices can be supported by a few filthy rich PRC Chinese because it is a small development with excellent facilities but Iskandar is a huge development, land area already bigger than the whole of Singapore.

2. Senibong Cove can't be compared to Sentosa Cove.

3. Keppel Bay can't be compared to Puteri Harbour.

4. The JB developers will probably go broke if they depend on the sales of their bungalow unit alone.

5. Except for The Imperia, Puteria Harbor , as far as I have seen, the quality of materials used by the developers can't measured up to the expectation of the rich.

6. There is no where in the world that is the same as Sentosa Cove, as touted by its aggressive marketeers, not even in US or Europe that give such excellent sea view and yet so close to the city centre; it is a very unique development and because of this it can't be measured by the pricing of its surrounding development. It is like an auction market for the rare jewels; no way to predict how high the prices can go.

avelc

Alfrescian
Loyal
With the end of the US Dollar peg to Gold Standard in 1971, this begun the creation of fiat money, feeding the asset bubbles and boom. Last time policeman wear shorts, and not too long ago, The Sail @ Marina bay was selling for SGD 1000 psf.

In the 1970s Singapore still had durian plantations, today a lot of our land is for sale via GLS (govt land sales). Today we have overtaken Las Vegas in terms of revenue from casinos. What next tomorrow?

hillside

Alfrescian
Loyal
not too long ago, ppl are talking about million and the most billion, now trillion is common use.........in fact sentosa cove is not really expensive ........by printing another trillion u can buy whole or part of sentoso cove, ha ha.....

With the end of the US Dollar peg to Gold Standard in 1971, this begun the creation of fiat money, feeding the asset bubbles and boom. Last time policeman wear shorts, and not too long ago, The Sail @ Marina bay was selling for SGD 1000 psf.

In the 1970s Singapore still had durian plantations, today a lot of our land is for sale via GLS (govt land sales). Today we have overtaken Las Vegas in terms of revenue from casinos. What next tomorrow?

Lord Aragorn

Alfrescian
Loyal
Newbie2012 said:
5. Except for The Imperia, Puteria Harbor , as far as I have seen, the quality of materials used by the developers can't measured up to the expectation of the rich.

Have you seen the straits view residences?

Funds Transfer

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sports are always under the development of the government and its policies, not just its people. To say that there was not a single Olympic medal points and for more than half a century points not just to the fault of the people.

The government has never focused enough on it and the people are mainly scraping by as it is, everyone wants to get a job, how many can survive as an athlete in Singapore in the past? Of course now they pay these talents hundreds of thousands or millions. Ask any true blue Singaporean mother/father, if they knew that being an athlete can net so much income, they would have asked them to skip Uni from the start and concentrate on this.

The Government blames the people for everything but is it fair?

Stop at 2
Singaporeans are not producing enough but we seem to be enjoying sex. Elder man with young girl, elder woman with young boy, young boy with young girl are all in the news.

No resources
Every economic success is still to PAP's wise engineering but a good deep sea port is a blessing and something we exploited. No typhoon, earthquake and other calamities; if this is not something showered upon us by the Gods up there, I don't know what is good then. And let's not forget about the people.

Flood in Singapore
Drains are not cleared because people littered. So isn't getting the drains unclogged easier than building the new drainage system.

Overcrowding on MRT
Singaporeans like to complain but who was the idiot that designed a six-carriage MRT train that was meant for a population 2/3s the size of the current 5 million?

Status
Not open for further replies.