• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Lesson from the SDP Rally - Wake up call for the Opposition

methink

Alfrescian
Loyal
hardly hear anything from WP, SDA and NSP. quite disappointing. people like Sylvia and Low Thia Kiang continue to ignore the real problems facing Singaporeans.

Reform Party is the only hope left.

Good work SDP! SDP looks like the party seriously concerned with the coming elections. RP is next and up coming.

WP is still in slumberland. Waking only when the GE is called. They can continue sleeping till Aljunied GRC is lost. Then we can expect them to act blur again till the next GE!

uncleyap

Alfrescian
Loyal
The reason behind SDP doing that is actually the fact that famiLEE LEEgime prevented CSJ & CSC from election rallies via Parliamentary Election Act & Bankruptcy Act, a notorious stunt since GE2006.

The idea here is inspired by the fact that SDP steered out of famiLEE LEEgime's lame foul tricks, it is obvious to me that Speakers Cornered is a way beyond what famiLEE LEEgime can limit opposition parties to hold rallies, by the permit they would issue during the very very limited time of GE.:biggrin:

Plus the fact that there is only about 10-15 weekends left from now till GE there is about like 3 weekends to each party. So that Singaporeans can expect a rally at the same place and time. And they can then inform and invite each other to go down there despite famiLEE LEEgime blacking-out the news. So the TEMPERATURE & MOMENTUM to GE will actually Pick-Up to the interest Against LEEgime.:rolleyes::wink::wink::cool::biggrin::biggrin:

That had been the reason why I started to SMS opposition leaders since Sunday Morning about it. And for the rest of Singaporeans I used this forum to do so. Mr. GMS & Mr. Ng Teck Siong & Mr. Chia Ti Lik & few others had received my SMS over the weekend, before I posted here.:smile:

http://sammyboy.com/showthread.php?t=75834

Actually Speakers Cornered although not very big can take 2 rallies at the same time, either by sharing stage or INTERLEAVING - a way to demonstrate opposition cooperation - however limited it is good. That is during the same time sharing the same audience, even on different stages, one speaker finish on one side, the other speaker form the other side continue, and then followed by one speaker from the 1st side again, then the 2nd side again. Even 3 or 4 or more parties can share the same crowd this way.

It is 10X more exciting for the Singaporean voters and crowds, it is excellent gesture of friendly cooperation between parties, it is harder hit against famiLEE LEEgime.

:wink::wink::wink: At the moment before the nomination there is not any factor like 3-corner-fight to hamper any collaboration between parties yet.:wink: So collaboration has still better chance. When either too many candidates nominated or when they wanted the same areas, there would be more complications.

Last edited:

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
Gone are the days when prescriptive politics PAP style is the order of the day. Let us learn form the SDP. They actually held a true blue elections rally albeit a pre-elections rally. There was a line-up of speakers, english and Mandarin and Singaporeans from all races gave speeches.

Opposition parties - what are you waiting for. Get your Sunday slot, line-up your speakers, get a theme and Singaporeans will gather. The turnout was better than expected.

Come on you guys, pick the 2nd Sunday of each month or every fortnight, get something going. Use the opportunity to train your speakers. Stop complaining and use every opportunity.

SDP has always been the most "sexy". Their forums, rallies backdrops, tshirts choice of design and colour. If no marketing guru, advisor or strong logistic support was behind them, I would be surprised.

Unfortunately, this didn't translate into votes so other parties didn't bother to do what they do. This may change in the next election if SDP closes the gap with other opposition parties, and I suspect they may.

Some people even said CSJ needs a makeover. Actually this shows their ignorance because CSJ already HAD a makeover. Compare the white shirt black pants metal badges Chiam days to the nice dark blue, red tshirts et al.

SDP was also known to have a weak manifesto during Chiam's days. This can be seen in SDA/SPP's manifesto. Today's SDP has a more prim manifesto. To be fair to Chiam and for fact purpose, the SDP under him did better at polls.

lockeliberal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Perspective

" Sexy ? ". They might be more sexy in terms of how they chose to confront and put down the PAP. However let's give credit when credit is due, they have learnt from the organizational disasters that crippled their campaign in woodlands, half the posters not up etc etc etc and all the rest.

Their videos have been professionally done, the speakers trained to present, the stage well designed, the mini rally well crafted. If this was done at a National Level, there is every potential to do a WP if the crowd was large enough.

I have never been an SDP fanboy but they have their act together logistically and vis sa vis the message they have chosen to campaign on. If they come to Holland BUkit Panjang and if I am still in Holland Bukit Panjang after redistricting and not Tanjong Pagar they have my vote.

They are the gold standard in opposition politics currently when it comes to logistics, lighting staging, and all the critical back end stuff that make up a campaign

My dear perspective, It seems only you believe that THESE things do not win VOTES. The fact that the SDP with the wrong branding and positioning has a great idea, does not make EVERY IDEA that the SDP touches wrong. The fact that every party
in the world tries to professionalize its messaging communication and presentation and the SDP tries to do the same does not make it wrong for everyone else to.

Perhaps low profile, media avoidance funerals and door to door won the WP a SMC, but my own belief is that it cannot replicate these same factors across a GRC. It needs all the factors above including what the SDP doing and a groundswell to topple a minister.

Locke

captainxerox

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Perspective

" Sexy ? ". They might be more sexy in terms of how they chose to confront and put down the PAP. However let's give credit when credit is due, they have learnt from the organizational disasters that crippled their campaign in woodlands, half the posters not up etc etc etc and all the rest.

Their videos have been professionally done, the speakers trained to present, the stage well designed, the mini rally well crafted. If this was done at a National Level, there is every potential to do a WP if the crowd was large enough.

I have never been an SDP fanboy but they have their act together logistically and vis sa vis the message they have chosen to campaign on. If they come to Holland BUkit Panjang and if I am still in Holland Bukit Panjang after redistricting and not Tanjong Pagar they have my vote.

They are the gold standard in opposition politics currently when it comes to logistics, lighting staging, and all the critical back end stuff that make up a campaign

My dear perspective, It seems only you believe that THESE things do not win VOTES. The fact that the SDP with the wrong branding and positioning has a great idea, does not make EVERY IDEA that the SDP touches wrong. The fact that every party
in the world tries to professionalize its messaging communication and presentation and the SDP tries to do the same does not make it wrong for everyone else to.

Perhaps low profile, media avoidance funerals and door to door won the WP a SMC, but my own belief is that it cannot replicate these same factors across a GRC. It needs all the factors above including what the SDP doing and a groundswell to topple a minister.

Locke

the way you write, sdp is all style and no substance.

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
the way you write, sdp is all style and no substance.

LOL. I agree. Locke rambles like a typewriter most of the time and doesn't read what's he's replying to all the time.

I would give my vote to the SDP whatever disagreements I have. I'm also hoping that SDP at least closes the gap with other opposition so that it paves the way for a politics environment not dictated by PAP and agreed by the people/voters through media brainwash.

(You can't please everyone. Scro thinks I'm praising SDP when I'm not, Locke thinks I'm criticizing SDP when I'm not. LOL.)

cheepshootjuan

Alfrescian
Loyal
why many cannot accept the simple fact that:

SDP IS NOT AN OPP PARTY INTERESTED IN WINNING WARD OR GETTING INTO PARLIAMENT(?)

cousin chee always says that. if he gets into parliament - how he wish he could - then maybe his mp allowance would be lesser than what he's getting now from swedish bosses.

lockeliberal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Perspective

"SDP has always been the most "sexy". Their forums, rallies backdrops, tshirts choice of design and colour. If no marketing guru, advisor or strong logistic support was behind them, I would be surprised Unfortunately, this didn't translate into votes so other parties didn't bother to do what they do. "

This statement against professionalism in politics is what I am strongly against. If such issues matter to political parties globally, should it not matter to Singapore as well.
The fact that SDP might have the wrong branding but some correct ideas, does it make any idea it adopts wrong ? Or is your idea or position being that ANY idea that the SDP adopts is wrong full stop and not suitable for Singapore opposition politics.

Locke

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Of all the oppo parties, the PAP hates SDP the most. This is not just from what they did to SDP in the past, but also how their current members feel. I know folks who would give Chiam, Low, even maybe GMS, a fair assessment, but who would cringe and become emotional the moment "Chee" or "SDP" was mentioned.

You must understand the PAP does not just brainwash Sinkees, they make sure they also brainwash their own members

I would say, vote SDP if you really want to hit PAP hard, because a vote for SDP really hurts them big time.

LOL. I agree. Locke rambles like a typewriter most of the time and doesn't read what's he's replying to all the time.

I would give my vote to the SDP whatever disagreements I have. I'm also hoping that SDP at least closes the gap with other opposition so that it paves the way for a politics environment not dictated by PAP and agreed by the people/voters through media brainwash.

(You can't please everyone. Scro thinks I'm praising SDP when I'm not, Locke thinks I'm criticizing SDP when I'm not. LOL.)

cass888

Alfrescian
Loyal
I would say, vote SDP if you really want to hit PAP hard, because a vote for SDP really hurts them big time.

I would rather vote for a cockroach than the MONGREL who bit his masters' hands LOUDHAILER chee soon juan and his reCHEEme. And no, it is not PAP brainwashing, it is these:

a. This SOB trying to "fix" my old lecturer with a tape recording when he was just trying to give the MwbhmhLcsj some friendly advice; even if he didn't agree, the MwbhmhLcsj didn't need to try to fix his mentor.

b. Okay, so Dr Vasoo was a PAP MP. This SOB, the MwbhmhLcsj then tries fo "fix" his mentor, Chiam See Tong by sacking him from the party. No matter what he claims Chiam did, he knows that sacking Chiam from the party would get Chiam sacked from Parliament.

Sorry, I don't need any other brainwashing. The MwbhmhLcsj is totally wiped out in my eyes. I will vote against him even if he is a PAP candidate.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
That because of the people that are associated with them. People like Seelan and company who dabble in the creative arts. Notice Martin See has only one angle - his video.

Whatever it is, the rally is great. I don't think the government expected it.
SDP has always been the most "sexy". Their forums, rallies backdrops, tshirts choice of design and colour. If no marketing guru, advisor or strong logistic support was behind them, I would be surprised.

Unfortunately, this didn't translate into votes so other parties didn't bother to do what they do. This may change in the next election if SDP closes the gap with other opposition parties, and I suspect they may.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree......

Locke

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Perspective

"SDP has always been the most "sexy". Their forums, rallies backdrops, tshirts choice of design and colour. If no marketing guru, advisor or strong logistic support was behind them, I would be surprised Unfortunately, this didn't translate into votes so other parties didn't bother to do what they do. "

This statement against professionalism in politics is what I am strongly against. If such issues matter to political parties globally, should it not matter to Singapore as well.
The fact that SDP might have the wrong branding but some correct ideas, does it make any idea it adopts wrong ? Or is your idea or position being that ANY idea that the SDP adopts is wrong full stop and not suitable for Singapore opposition politics.

Locke

The word "unfortunately" and "didn't" (past tense) is a dead giveway. You missed out "This may change in the next election if SDP closes the gap with other opposition parties, and I suspect they may."

Don't read too much into bits and pieces. SDP's approach might not work in the past but may in future. Once they work, other opp may follow suit but SDP might be ahead by then. That's my point.