• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Laksa, briyani, chicken rice, kway pie tee, ice kachang, mee rebus , kway teow,

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is the first time that I have heard of it. Is it salty, sour etc and do you add chilli ?
It's delicious.
I don't think it was brought in by the prcs recently, the stalls I have been to are all run by locals, and if it's Hakka tradition, it must have been in SG for ages.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
I dont know how to describe it - it's not salty, not sweet, nor sour..just the taste of the mixed ingredients which is rather appealing. Like nuts, sesame seeds stuff..no need to add chilli.

This is the first time that I have heard of it. Is it salty, sour etc and do you add chilli ?

jw5

Loyal
Let me describe it briefly.
It consists of rice, with a mixture of various ingredients on top, including long beans chopped into tiny pieces, tofu, ikan bilis, peanuts, some green vegetables, perhaps one or two other ingredients which I can't quite recall or make out.
The soup basically tastes like green tea, except that there is more flavour.
It's neither too sweet or too salty, and we don't normally add chilli sauce, but some cut chilli may be quite nice, come to think of it.
If eaten in the right proportions, it makes for a healthy and delicious meal.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Stuff like the ikan bilis and peanuts will already impart their natural tastes without adding seasoning or sauces..

It consists of rice, with a mixture of various ingredients on top, including long beans chopped into tiny pieces, tofu, ikan bilis, peanuts, some green vegetables, perhaps one or two other ingredients which I can't quite recall or make out.
The soup basically tastes like green tea, except that there is more flavour.
It's neither too sweet or too salty, and we don't normally add chilli sauce, but some cut chilli may be quite nice, come to think of it.
If eaten in the right proportions, it makes for a healthy and delicious meal.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks Guys, will look out for it.
I dont know how to describe it - it's not salty, not sweet, nor sour..just the taste of the mixed ingredients which is rather appealing. Like nuts, sesame seeds stuff..no need to add chilli.

Stuff like the ikan bilis and peanuts will already impart their natural tastes without adding seasoning or sauces..

QXD

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I know this thread is about food.

But I woke up today thirsty after a dream about finally finishing all my gardening chores and sitting back with a drink to enjoy my clean, manicured garden.

And I wasn't holding on to a beer bottle to quench my thirst...

I was...

...sipping a HUGE, COLD and REFRESHING glass of sugar cane.

WHY DON'T THEY HAVE THAT HERE?!?!?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Also falls in the food category. It was waning in popularity but returned with venegence about 8 years ago with now some coffeeshops in hawker centres selling it. Truly a taste quencher.

When I was young, it was pretty much a rotation between sugar cane and grassjelly in the day with soya bean at might.

I know this thread is about food.

sipping a HUGE, COLD and REFRESHING glass of sugar cane.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
...sipping a HUGE, COLD and REFRESHING glass of sugar cane.

Have you check out the Vietnamtown?

If you are in Perth, head to Honeywell Shopping Centre in Mirrabooka. Next to the Chooks! fast food is the freshly pressed sugar cane juice stall. There is also a good asian grocery store and asian butcher/fishmonger nearby.

Grace

Alfrescian
Loyal
chai tow kway, chee cheong fun, prata, mee siam, mutton soup, claypot rice, cze cha, or luak, hokkein mee, wanton mee, fish ball noodles, goreng pisang, hor fun, lor mee, mee suah, nasi ayam, bak kut teh, roti john, roast duck, yong tau fu, thosai, vadai, soup tulang, steam boat, satay, mee kuah, teochew muay, chinese rojak, indian rojak, char siew rice, putu mayam, prawn mee, bar chor mee, popiah, otak, masala chicken, fish head curry, nasi padang, nasi lemak, kway chap, mee soto, BBQ stingray, chilli crab, fish soup, fried baby squid, bean curd, etc

So what did you miss most, the years that you did not have it and the place that had the best. Forget the health issues, good things in life cost dearly and good food is not far behind.

the nasi berani at Alaudin, Tekka now famous but very very ARROGANT.
want to eat there, prepare to accept their ARROGANCE!!
:*: