• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Laksa, briyani, chicken rice, kway pie tee, ice kachang, mee rebus , kway teow,

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
chai tow kway, chee cheong fun, prata, mee siam, mutton soup, claypot rice, cze cha, or luak, hokkein mee, wanton mee, fish ball noodles, goreng pisang, hor fun, lor mee, mee suah, nasi ayam, bak kut teh, roti john, roast duck, yong tau fu, thosai, vadai, soup tulang, steam boat, satay, mee kuah, teochew muay, chinese rojak, indian rojak, char siew rice, putu mayam, prawn mee, bar chor mee, popiah, otak, masala chicken, fish head curry, nasi padang, nasi lemak, kway chap, mee soto, BBQ stingray, chilli crab, fish soup, fried baby squid, bean curd, etc

So what did you miss most, the years that you did not have it and the place that had the best. Forget the health issues, good things in life cost dearly and good food is not far behind.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
wan ton mee:

If you miss the one at the old national library on stamford rd, it's been found at the Far East Square. Name is Nam Seng. Cantonese style. The noodles are the fine type and chewy, which i liked. But the chilli is not hot, even sweet. A similar one exists at the Lavendar Square (only one there). Kok Kee. The centre also has Hokkien St Prawn Mee.

For a diff texture, try Eng's at Dunman Rd Food Centre. The noodles are slightly thicker but the chilli's damned hot! Long wait on weekends.

So what did you miss most, the years that you did not have it and the place that had the best. Forget the health issues, good things in life cost dearly and good food is not far behind.

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The one at the library was marvelous. The noodles was somewhat powdery and as you mentioned chewy and the wanton was smooth. I was not sure if it was the library or the wanton that was the draw but both gave me immense pleasure on Saturdays and for a schoolboy it was the day to look forward. Then to MPH for the latest books.

wan ton mee:

If you miss the one at the old national library on stamford rd, it's been found at the China Square. T.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sorry, I edited my post. It's at Far East Sq.

The one at the library was marvelous. The noodles was somewhat powdery and as you mentioned chewy and the wanton was smooth. I was not sure if it was the library or the wanton that was the draw but both gave me immense pleasure on Saturdays and for a schoolboy it was the day to look forward. Then to MPH for the latest books.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
One of the best char kway teow used to be at Westlake Ave. I think it was called Lai Heng. Very packed at lunch time. It's moved as the place has been revamped. There are now quite a few outlets bandying the name but I dunno which one is genuine. E.g. the one opp Buangkok MRT is not bad, and there's another one at Jln Leban next to the petrol station.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Beach Road steamboat

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
chai tow kway, chee cheong fun, prata, mee siam, mutton soup, claypot rice, cze cha, or luak, hokkein mee, wanton mee, fish ball noodles, goreng pisang, hor fun, lor mee, mee suah, nasi ayam, bak kut teh, roti john, roast duck, yong tau fu, thosai, vadai, soup tulang, steam boat, satay, mee kuah, teochew muay, chinese rojak, indian rojak, char siew rice, putu mayam, prawn mee, bar chor mee, popiah, otak, masala chicken, fish head curry, nasi padang, nasi lemak, kway chap, mee soto, BBQ stingray, chilli crab, fish soup, fried baby squid, bean curd, etc ...
so many tings here ... how cum me cant even tink of 1 dat me missed? ... :confused: :o

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yet Con Chicken Rice. Anyone remember Funan Centre's crispy chicken rice? Buona Vista Duck Rice. Rendevous Nasi Padang. Hill Street Char Kway Teow close to the children's clinic. Roti John at Taman Serasi. Prince Philip Avenue Nasi Lemak, Mount Faber Nasi Lemak. Changi Point Nasi lemak.

plec140

Alfrescian
Loyal
Changi Village Nasi lemak (the one with black board , cos i can be bothered to q at the new international stall)

1 bannana ball + 1 goreng pisang ( The stall in the extreme right row)

I know its not the best nasi lemak , but for 2.5 years every book-in i use to buy it on the way to camp wash it down with ice cold mug root beer from the camp vending machine

:smile:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, while queuing up one late Saturday night, there was army chap in front of me and this was the early days before they had 2 queues - one for packet and another to eat there. I nearly pengsan when he ordered 53 packets. I too don't mind the stall with the black board. Also drop by at Mama coffeestall in the middle for teh tarik.

Then buy live prawns from Gina's shop for all night fishing. If lucky land a ray or a nice fish and Sunday lunch will be fantastic.

Changi Village Nasi lemak (the one with black board , cos i can be bothered to q at the new international stall)

1 bannana ball + 1 goreng pisang ( The stall in the extreme right row)

I know its not the best nasi lemak , but for 2.5 years every book-in i use to buy it on the way to camp wash it down with ice cold mug root beer from the camp vending machine

:smile:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree. Service sucks but fish head curry is great. First time I went there only to find that they close early about 8pm. Certainly the best for Chinese fish head curry - hainanese style. Another good one is at Alexandra Village at the corner stall facing the glass/mirror shop. Go early or late in the afternoon, takes about 25 minutes to prepare.

my vote goes to toa payoh lor 8's fish head curry.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Also missed all the Mama stalls along Waterloo St. Mee goreng, kuay teow goreng, soup kambing, indian rojak...

Also, those itinerant yong tau foo stalls on tricycles, where you ate by the roadside and dipped into the glasses of sweet sauce and chilli sauce at the front of the vehicle.

What abt the tick tock mee pok seller? Whacks a bamboo stick on another bamboo piece in a nice tattoo around Tiong Bahru and you just order from him - either via a basket dangled on a rope from the 5th floor or eat outside yr door in quiet tranquil Tiong Bahru estate.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wow bro, great memories. Lowering the basket was a great idea. Waterloo was fantastic especially the rojak stalls. Shenton Way carpark near the old polytechnic had the best tasting mee goreng as they use real tomato sauce to differentiate from the rest.

The tick tock boy was an institution. One of the sweetest and most welcome sound in the neighbourhood. Tiong Bahru was also famous for the hawker selling pork satays from his tricycle cart.

Also missed all the Mama stalls along Waterloo St. Mee goreng, kuay teow goreng, soup kambing, indian rojak...

Also, those itinerant yong tau foo stalls on tricycles, where you ate by the roadside and dipped into the glasses of sweet sauce and chilli sauce at the front of the vehicle.

What abt the tick tock mee pok seller? Whacks a bamboo stick on another bamboo piece in a nice tattoo around Tiong Bahru and you just order from him - either via a basket dangled on a rope from the 5th floor or eat outside yr door in quiet tranquil Tiong Bahru estate.

Charlie9

Alfrescian
Loyal
chai tow kway, chee cheong fun, prata, mee siam, mutton soup, claypot rice, cze cha, or luak, hokkein mee, wanton mee, fish ball noodles, goreng pisang, hor fun, lor mee, mee suah, nasi ayam, bak kut teh, roti john, roast duck, yong tau fu, thosai, vadai, soup tulang, steam boat, satay, mee kuah, teochew muay, chinese rojak, indian rojak, char siew rice, putu mayam, prawn mee, bar chor mee, popiah, otak, masala chicken, fish head curry, nasi padang, nasi lemak, kway chap, mee soto, BBQ stingray, chilli crab, fish soup, fried baby squid, bean curd, etc

Make me hungry early in the morning in Toronto.

I recall the wan ton mee near the National Library, the food at Waterloo St near SJI, at Shenton Way near the Polytechnic, at Beach Road, Rendezvous at Bras Basah Road, the peranakan food at Joo Chiat and Katong, seafood on the east coast, Stay Club at QE Walk, etc.