• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Laksa, briyani, chicken rice, kway pie tee, ice kachang, mee rebus , kway teow,

QXD

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I miss...

1) Zion Rd Nasi Padang must have with sambal mussels
2) Mee Soto with heaps of chili and dark sauce
3) Soup Kambing the oilier the better
4) Ghim Moh Vegetarian Bee Hoon
5) Ghim Moh Jwee Kueh
6) Famous Tiong Bahru Lor Mee now in Bukit Purmei
7) Tiong Bahru Fishball but now standard drop- all factory made
8) REAL Hainanese Beef Noodle in AMK not the foodcourt rubbish
9) Telok Blangah Hawker Centre corner kopi stall, every morning must fight with taxi driver to get a space in the queue.

QXD

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I miss...

1) Soup Tulang
2) Zion Rd Nasi Padang must have with sambal mussels
3) Mee Soto with heaps of chili and dark sauce
4) Soup Kambing the oilier the better
5) Ghim Moh Vegetarian Bee Hoon
6) Ghim Moh Jwee Kueh
7) Famous Tiong Bahru Lor Mee now in Bukit Purmei
8) Tiong Bahru Fishball but now standard drop- all factory made
9) REAL Hainanese Beef Noodle in AMK not the foodcourt rubbish
10) Telok Blangah Hawker Centre corner kopi stall, every morning must fight with taxi driver to get a space in the queue.

Satan

Alfrescian
Loyal
The ones that I miss most is the duck rice and Tewo Chew porridge in Geylang. Of course, the Chinese fish head curry in Bras Barsah food court was also one of my favourites.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, just for your info, the Zion Road Nasi Padang is classified as the most authentic in this region and is on the MFA protocol list as well as the rest of the civil service when entertaining foreign guests especially Malaysian VIPs.

I was about 9 years old when I had my first taste of soup kambing. I thought I found god. It was heaven. There was a guy who was a year older than me who made it a religion to visit the soup kamping stall once a week. He was known around the neighbourhood for it. In those days, you get one free refill of soup. No additional meat of course.

As life went on, I found god many time over when it came to food.

I miss...

1) Soup Tulang
2) Zion Rd Nasi Padang must have with sambal mussels
3) Mee Soto with heaps of chili and dark sauce
4) Soup Kambing the oilier the better
5) Ghim Moh Vegetarian Bee Hoon
6) Ghim Moh Jwee Kueh
7) Famous Tiong Bahru Lor Mee now in Bukit Purmei
8) Tiong Bahru Fishball but now standard drop- all factory made
9) REAL Hainanese Beef Noodle in AMK not the foodcourt rubbish
10) Telok Blangah Hawker Centre corner kopi stall, every morning must fight with taxi driver to get a space in the queue.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The teochew muay at Thomson Road next to the high rise HDB blocks facing the reservoir is also well known. The one at Tiong Bahru is also well known especially by the niteclub crowd.

The ones that I miss most is the duck rice and Tewo Chew porridge in Geylang. Of course, the Chinese fish head curry in Bras Barsah food court was also one of my favourites.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Also at the Alexandra Villlage, opp the Hospital and at the corner beside AIA, is a coffeeshop that sells X.O. fish soup. Slices are big and soup is real milky.

Agree. Service sucks but fish head curry is great. First time I went there only to find that they close early about 8pm. Certainly the best for Chinese fish head curry - hainanese style. Another good one is at Alexandra Village at the corner stall facing the glass/mirror shop. Go early or late in the afternoon, takes about 25 minutes to prepare.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
extremely difficult to find authentic sg fried hokkien mee on this side of the ocean. i don't think anywhere else in the world does it better than in sg. my favorite can be found at newton food court. it's less gluey or soupy; it's more fried (i need to see caramelization), dryer and exudes more aroma with crispy pork belly cracklings, fried eggs, and generous scoops of hot spicy belachan sauce showered with freshy squeezed lime. :biggrin:

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
So what did you miss most, the years that you did not have it and the place that had the best. Forget the health issues, good things in life cost dearly and good food is not far behind.

When I first emigrated, I thought I would miss ALL the stuff you mentioned but after more than 15 years, I don't miss ANY of it.

I now prefer Mediterranean fare and Cajun/Texan BBQ style cooking. Nothing beats perfectly marinated and smoked babyback ribs. It's 10x tastier than the best Char Siew I ever had in sinkieland.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
That's what some of us like to think when we first leave the shores of Singapore - new place, new adventure, open mind and leave the baggage behind. We are just kidding ourselves. Its a matter of time before the taste buds starts to wake up.

The reality is that we would have tasted new cuisines, broaden our repertoire and even adapted to a new home cuisine, yet the old favourites are still there to be savoured when the opportunity arises.

I went through various phases including wines for each dish, degustation meals including cuisines from various regions. At the end of the there is only one Hokkien mee, one nasi briyani and one mee rebus and the old time lady of cuisine - tender Hainanese steamed chicken, with that beautiful fragrant rice and the right chilli sauce. Just be glad that we had the opportunity to try it all.

When I first emigrated, I thought I would miss ALL the stuff you mentioned but after more than 15 years, I don't miss ANY of it.

I now prefer Mediterranean fare and Cajun/Texan BBQ style cooking. Nothing beats perfectly marinated and smoked babyback ribs. It's 10x tastier than the best Char Siew I ever had in sinkieland.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, there is one that is very close to the real thing along East Coast Road near to the junction of Telok Kurau. His father used to operate the well known one at Geylang.

extremely difficult to find authentic sg fried hokkien mee on this side of the ocean. i don't think anywhere else in the world does it better than in sg. my favorite can be found at newton food court. it's less gluey or soupy; it's more fried (i need to see caramelization), dryer and exudes more aroma with crispy pork belly cracklings, fried eggs, and generous scoops of hot spicy belachan sauce showered with freshy squeezed lime. :biggrin:

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
The reality is that we would have tasted new cuisines, broaden our repertoire and even adapted to a new home cuisine, yet the old favourites are still there to be savoured when the opportunity arises.

Don't get me wrong. Take me to the best of the cuisines that you mention and I'll definitely enjoy the food.

What I am saying is that it isn't a craving. If the world's best Laksa isn't placed in front of me, the thought of Laksa doesn't cross my mind as I go about my day to day activities.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
There's one stall at the Zion Rd Food centre. The centre has been renovated and is now much cooler than before, due to the more generous cover overhead and more spread out. The old man is quite mean but his food is good. Meaning he doesnt give out extra styrofoam bowls or plates. Packed during lunch.

The food centre is a little inside the road to get to, diagonally opp the coffeeshoop where the famous nasi padang mentioned by Scroobal is.

Another one is Fatty's along Lavender Street. Also cooks A1 char kuey teow.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I see your point and I do agree as well.
Don't get me wrong. Take me to the best of the cuisines that you mention and I'll definitely enjoy the food.

What I am saying is that it isn't a craving. If the world's best Laksa isn't placed in front of me, the thought of Laksa doesn't cross my mind as I go about my day to day activities.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Any of you bros heard of Hakka ley char rice - or phonetically, thunder tea rice? It's supposed to be a healthy food, a mix of grains, cereals, seeds, legumes and vegs and liquefied with a broth of green tea poured onto brown rice. Not something from memory lane but new age. Claimed to be helpful to people with hgh cholesterol, even cancer ailments. Still a few limited outlets at Joo Chiat Rd, China Sq and Vivo City food court. Brought in by the PRCs.

jw5

Loyal
Any of you bros heard of Hakka ley char rice - or phonetically, thunder tea rice? It's supposed to be a healthy food, a mix of grains, cereals, seeds, legumes and vegs and liquefied with a broth of green tea poured onto brown rice. Not something from memory lane but new age. Claimed to be helpful to people with hgh cholesterol, even cancer ailments. Still a few limited outlets at Joo Chiat Rd, China Sq and Vivo City food court. Brought in by the PRCs.
It's delicious.
I don't think it was brought in by the prcs recently, the stalls I have been to are all run by locals, and if it's Hakka tradition, it must have been in SG for ages. Could have been brought in by the prcs many years ago.
I particularly like to eat the rice and the ingredients and drink the soup seperately. Some people pour the soup into the rice.
There are 2 other excellent outlets, in Geylang (one of the lorongs) and in Amoy Street Hawker centre.