• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Kindergarten in S'pore can cost $2000/month? WTF

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
This report calling for free preschool education for singaporean children is horriying to read. The greed of the PAP knows no bounds. This report is saying for public schools, kids pay $100 per month and up to $2000 for private. Whatever happened to completely free for public kindergarten.

Also, on a related note, I have a friend who is a teacher and she has said that parents are coming to her asking for tutor recommendations for their kindergarten and primary 1 kids. A country is measured by the way their children are treated, something is really wrong with this shithole country. I noticed this report was released in June, but not mentioned in the whore press.

A study on early childhood education reveals concerns about the difference in programmes offered by public and private preschool providers. (AFP file photo)
Singapore could consider providing free preschool education, up to kindergarten 1 and 2, for children, a recent study done on the sector suggested.

Commissioned by the Lien Foundation, the study was led by a panel of 27 early childhood professionals and included suggestions to improve preschool education here.

Among others, the panel said the image of preschool teachers can be raised by developing a more formal pay structure and by setting a salary scale comparable to those of mainstream school teachers.

A coordinating ministry could also be formed to oversee and regulate the early childhood sector, the panel proposed.

In addition, the study highlighted challenges present in the early childhood education sector.

These include uneven quality, equity and affordability of education; difficulties faced by the preschool profession such as the high turnover rate of teaching staff; and the need for improved participation from parents as well as the Government.

The study added that one way to get more parents involved is to equip them with the right skills and information to care of their children, through conducting parental outreach programmes.

Such programmes can help parents to improve their children’s potential. This, in turn, will boost the overall quality of Singapore’s preschool education.

On the issue of quality and affordability of preschool education, the panel was concerned about the difference in programmes offered by public and private preschool providers. In particular, they feared children from lower-income families could be at a disadvantage, as school fees can range from S$100 to S$2,000.

To even out any inequality, the panelists called for the Government to recognise early childhood services as a necessary public good, and provide free preschool education for all children.

“The study provided compelling rationales for increased government investment and funding of the sector, in order to ensure that underlying causes such as the high attrition rate of the workforce, pay disparities, and inequities of the sector are addressed, said lead investigator Lynn Ang, who is a senior lecturer of early childhood from the University of East London.

The chief executive officer of the Lien Foundation, Lee Poh Wah said a child’s preschool education should always remain the responsibility of his or her parents.

He added, “The early years of a child’s life are so vital that preschool education should be a shared responsibility of both parents and the government. Any efforts by the government to step up its role in this area should be balanced by active parental involvement.”

An earlier study by the Economist Intelligent Unit, also commissioned by the Lien Foundation, saw Singapore's early childhood education environment ranked 29th out of 45 countries across the globe.

The results of that report were released in June.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Now, the SPH media whores are coming out with another pre-school article. They are really co-ordinating this. I guess they want to put it out there that there is a demand for pre-schools and it can be profitable. What i don't understand is why is the govt. opeing up 200 more pre-school centres? The only reason to do that would be if the children population is increasing. But the govt. says its not, we are at a negative birth rate. Than who is giving birth to all these children, so many that we need 200 more centres?

SINGAPORE: The pre-school sector will offer 3,000 more jobs in the next five years as childcare centres ramp up operations.

The sector currently hires some 11,000 people.

But it has an immediate need for 1,000 more, said Mr Ang Hin Kee, who heads the labour movement's education cluster.

Mr Ang was speaking at a career fair for the pre-school education sector on Saturday.

The government had earlier announced plans for 200 more childcare centres by 2017.

Mr Ang said tripartite partners are working to raise the wages and career prospects of pre-school teachers to attract qualified and passionate applicants.

But wage increases have to follow higher qualifications, said Mr Ang, so the labour movement's strategy is to help sector professionals upgrade their skills.

Mr Ang said: "Whether it be government subsidy, whether it be fees to be paid, I think we need to look the issue squarely in the eye. If we don't increase either one of these combinations, for the operator there is ultimately a plateau in which they can take from their revenue to pay. So the support needs to come from stakeholders, the government, and parents."

The education cluster also wants to raise the wages of the 2,000 centre attendants who provide cleaning or cooking services in pre-schools around the country.

The majority of these workers earn about S$900 a month, and the target, Mr Ang said, is to raise this to at least S$1,000.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hey PapS, thanks for raising this thread, worth all our attention.

I looked up the study and here is quick summary ( all errors are mine)

1. Pre-school to be treated as essential part of Public Education System

2. Raising the status of Pre-school educators an early first step to be done

3. Complex sector that is mix of education and care - holistic approach needed

4. All sectors must be involved - Health, Education, Social Services , the relevant ministries and professionals in these sector to be involved.

5. Concerns about significant gaps due to rapid expansion of the sector - Closing the gaps (for some reason the phrase "leveling the gaps was used bu the author which does not make sense - how do you level a gap?) . Need for public funding to ""Level the gaps"

6. Parental and Community involvement required - public funding needed to support Parental and Community involvement.

7. Early childhood is becoming important part of public policy, so a research culture is needed to measure policy impact.

8. Important to evaluate childhood programmes

9. Quality of care and education has a direct link on quality of workforce

10. Professional pay, working conditions and status important for educators

11. Transition from preschool to primary is one of the most important changes for a child

12. Govt involvement in the sector is welcome but not overwhelming influence. Consultative approach is welcomed.

13. Independent advisory board is needed

14. Repeat of point 4!!! ( not in words but in material points made)

15. For governance, a lead ministry is required. Either the Ministry of Education or totally new ministry (!!!)

16. Effective leadership is key for improving the sector.

ps. will give my views after going thru the report one more time.

manfrommars

Alfrescian
Loyal
education in singapore is horrible.

the system emphasises on the wrong things. and the locals speak with chinese accents.

if you want your child to learn to speak read and write properly, as well as have a decent education, send them to the better schools in the usa or aussies or international schools.

you dont want the world to laugh at your child whenever he/she opens hisher mouth.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Kindergarten is a waste of time. Sinkies emerge from the education system just as dumb as when they started.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Though the author described it as landmark study in one brochure prepared for a roundtable discussion, it far cry from either landmark or even a study. It poorly written and seems to be a piece by the sector to lobby for more funds from the govt but do not want the government to run the programme directly. Go read the "study", motherhood statements, abstract comments, loves to quote the UN and little substance. When people tell you the executive summary and the conclusion is important, this is a perfect example. Unable to separate childcare and kindergarten - rojak.

I also note that Dr Lynn Ang is very secretive about where she acquired her academic qualifications. She lectures in a dump - University of East London, ranked second last out of 116 Uk Univesities and 1 point separates this University with the last univesity and here is the interesting bit - the 3rd last is 48 points ahead. I also checked around - the uni caters mainly for foreigners from the 3rd world and many of whom do not complete the course as they are working illegally and not studying and thereby losing their place. It is also has the easiest entry requirements. And linked to an unheard of institution in Malaysia offering MBA!

If this country and the Early Childhood Education sector is keen about our kids, they should invest in a proper recognised individual to lead the study. I won't be surprised that she was approached by someone in the sector and Lien Foundation was conned into funding the study.

My goodness - leveling the gaps and I suppose closing the playing field would be next.

Last edited:

Kinana

Alfrescian
Loyal
You are absolutely correct. The study sounds shitty to say the least.
The guy who started this thread is also a dumbo. Why does he complain about the cost when there are dumbo parents like him who are willing to pay? Its the same in all levels of education isn't it? You can pay very little for govt school or you can pay a lot by choosing to go private school. Its your choice.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
If this country and the Early Childhood Education sector is keen about our kids, they should invest in a proper recognised individual to lead the study. I won't be surprised that she was approached by someone in the sector and Lien Foundation was conned into funding the study.

My goodness - leveling the gaps and I suppose closing the playing field would be next.

The interesting thing I noted in the second article was why is the govt. opening 200 more child care centres in the face of an admittedly low birth rate, and zero population growth? Did the country have a mass orgy 5 years ago that I was not aware of and the products of this orgy are just coming to preschool age?

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
You are absolutely correct. The study sounds shitty to say the least.
The guy who started this thread is also a dumbo. Why does he complain about the cost when there are dumbo parents like him who are willing to pay? Its the same in all levels of education isn't it? You can pay very little for govt school or you can pay a lot by choosing to go private school. Its your choice.

Cocksucker, u don't like the thread, don't come in here and shoot your cheebye mouth off. You piece of PAP motherfucking bitch. YES, THAT'S I AM TALKING TO YOU BITCH.

Cruxx

Alfrescian
Loyal
Supply and demand. They could charge 2 million/month for all I care.

Last edited:

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes demand and supply. Why so big news?
There $200~$2000 for all to choose. Just like eating in hawker/ high end restuarant.

soIsee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks for highlighting this. Education not likely my forte. Hard to focus when there is no interest.

I can understand. Ppl like you can't study when you were still supposed to be schooling and STUDYING, how could I expect you to have an interest in the 'business of studying' other than to know what are the 'darker side of things in life! LOL

soIsee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes demand and supply. Why so big news?
There $200~$2000 for all to choose. Just like eating in hawker/ high end restuarant.

I hope when the time comes for you to choose between the 'home of the destitute' and the streets , you choose the streets! LOL

Last edited:

Cruxx

Alfrescian
Loyal
I hope when the time comes for you to choose between the 'home of the destitute' and the streets , you choose the streets! LOL

So you prefer to impose restriction on how much private Kindergartens can charge and drive out investment in this non-cuntry? Say, the CEO of a MNC wants to fork out 2k per month on his daughter's preschool education and you would rather deny him the opportunity to do so, forcing him to send his daughter overseas instead. How is this good for society and economy? The success of an economy lies in free, voluntary economic exchange. Make trade impossible and you make poverty inevitable. :rolleyes: