• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

JEM shopping mall ceiling collapsed, 3 injured

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Don;t you just enjoy it when sinkieland got screwed..wahahhaha... Hope more pipe breaks during the weekend around peak hour time..

then hundreds of people injured..

so the 3 sinkies prepare to sue JEM? let's see how ball-less sinkies behave.

SgParent

Alfrescian
Loyal
UPDATE: 3 minor injuries reported.

BREAKING: Jem shopping mall's ceiling collapsed on level 1. SCDF on scene.

what could be the reason this time?

can't be better-better-better

so is it faster-faster-faster or cheaper-cheaper-cheaper?

WongMengMeng

Alfrescian
Loyal
Critical structure means related to whether the building can collapse.

PAP IB means these:

WongMengMeng, all of us already confessed that we are PAP IB.

At least PAP pays GD, Lock, me and many others PAP IB double for working on public holidays.

Based on my pap ib database, one of sammyboy nick is the current changi chalet warden. If WMM and his clones continue to waste our time, the warden will have special treatment for the tikko cheapo new inmate. ….

Here's a better sound bite for you: in a nutshell, GoldenDragon, Watchman8, Locke, etc are PAP IBs!

Not so loud bro. Don't blow my cover.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
LAND LEASE IS THE MOST FUCKED UP COMPANY...This ANZ setup is a joke!

Land lease is the owner as well.
They are actually one of the better ones around....ask anyone in the industry....they are known to be rigidly strict on safety and contractors dislike them for being overly 'ngeow'.

Perhaps being exposed here they have become sinkiefied.
Tenants for jem include many pappy outfits like MND, AVA and BCA...vile pappies probably contributed to the bad Feng shui.

WongMengMeng

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't see how the JEM ceiling collapse is related to this IB confession.

Mr Wong MM , let me treat you to a wonderful cup of kopi - WAKE UP!

Related or not is not for me to say. I just refresh people's memory that's all.

By coming in at this juncture, you are exposing yourself. That is my humble opinion, I will let readers judge for themselves. Unsinkification is all about using your brains.

I already have two of these at home. Thank you for your offer which I have to politely decline:

https://www.google.com.hk/search?q=...QX12YCYCA&ved=0CFMQsAQ&biw=1120&bih=637&dpr=1

Please do not call me Mr. Wong MM or WMM or whatever. I don't like to be defiled.

Last edited:

kopiuncle

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Related or not is not for me to say. I just refresh people's memory that's all.

By coming in at this juncture, you are exposing yourself. That is my humble opinion, I will let readers judge for themselves. Unsinkification is all about using your brains.

I already have two of these at home. Thank you for your offer which I have to politely decline:

https://www.google.com.hk/search?q=...QX12YCYCA&ved=0CFMQsAQ&biw=1120&bih=637&dpr=1

Please do not call me Mr. Wong MM or WMM or whatever. I don't like to be defiled.

Mr Wong, you are a very suspicious intellectual. Well, nevermind lah. We drink Kopi some other time. Have a nice day! Cheers! I like to talk to you because I find you rather polite and friendly despite the ferocity of your language and the power of your swords. Cheers!

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Looks like this will be another mall that'll eventually be acquired by CapitalMalls.

It happened with Iluma (now known as Bugis+).

Jlokta

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
False ceiling usually will not be inspected by professional engineers as not considered critical structure. Such installation is like a painting or curtains whereby the main con will just give a cursory look.

For such a huge section of false ceiling to collapse could be due to sub con using too short screws to secure the false ceiling. Saved their time drilling deep holes.

Where's the resident screw king, he should be able to offer some professional insight.:biggrin:

OldFart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
It's not a critical structure, but it can cause a child to be in critical condition..How much do you think it weighs? Enough to break a child's neck and kill him..

Critical structure means related to whether the building can collapse.

By your definition, even a lamp is critical. The authorities can't be regulating everything within a building. Some things are just left to common practices.

Ceilings in the form of gypsum boards, acoustic, aluminum panels, wire mesh and decorative ceilings etc are obviously decorative by nature and not structural at all to begin with.

Problem is the loading and choosing a fixing that can not just hold the load but calculated with a safety factor. This determines the type of fixing system required, its depth of embedment and its quantity. Also to note is the environment whether the ceiling is subjected to vibration and also corrosive environment which can critically affect the loading.

As mentioned in my first post here in this thread, there are generally two type of fixings used here in Singapore, the nail/pin type shot into concrete using a powdered actuated tool or commonly known as a "gun" OR mechanical anchors like an expansion bolt the most common is a sleeve anchor. The former as mentioned before has to many variables like if the shock of the percussion from the tool had affected the quality of the concrete or bended the nail etc, once a nail in embedded in the concrete it is impossible to tell the quality of the fixing and so is not so forgiving. The later system one could physically check the quality of the concrete after drilling and when setting the anchor to a specific torque one is assured the expansion of the anchor into the concrete, this is a much more forgiving fixing.

Also mentioned before the former system with the nail could be as high as 10 times faster than the later expansion method. In my days as a contractor I could say almost 100% ceiling fixings are done with the nail now a days I bet will be not much of a different. I bet this failure in JEM is done by the nail system. For my own home all fixings are done with mechanical undercut (non expansion) anchors or chemical anchors, the safest and most reliable fixings.

songsongjurong

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/jem-shopping-centre-in/818678.html

SINGAPORE: The Jem shopping centre in Jurong will be closed until further notice. This follows the collapse of part of the ceiling on level one of the centre last night.

Three people were injured and received outpatient medical attention.

Owners Lend Lease said its concern is focused on the welfare of the injured, and to ensure the safety of the public, shoppers and staff.

It added that it is investigating the cause of the incident and is working closely with the authorities, and as a precautionary measure, the centre will not be open to the public until it is satisfied with the safety of the site.

SHUT THE ENTIRE MALL DOWN ! DAMN IT !

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/jem-shopping-centre-in/818678.html

SINGAPORE: The Jem shopping centre in Jurong will be closed until further notice. This follows the collapse of part of the ceiling on level one of the centre last night.

Three people were injured and received outpatient medical attention.

Owners Lend Lease said its concern is focused on the welfare of the injured, and to ensure the safety of the public, shoppers and staff.

It added that it is investigating the cause of the incident and is working closely with the authorities, and as a precautionary measure, the centre will not be open to the public until it is satisfied with the safety of the site.

SHUT THE ENTIRE MALL DOWN ! DAMN IT !

They can't even properly build Nicoll Highway or a suburb mall, and they want to build an underground city? :rolleyes:

bitch-please.png

SlickJon

Alfrescian
Loyal
cheaper better faster huh....

1st the ceiling of a mall collapses, what next? the whole underground mrt tunneling? hdb blocks crumbling? roads caving in? oh yeah, that has already happened.