• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Is there a competition for the most incompetent gahmen dept? Now it is IDA's turn

Confuseous

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Citizens found themselves unable to pay for a host of government services online on Tuesday, after eNets went down for 11 hours.

The problem happened because the company that runs the Internet payment scheme failed to renew its domain name, a check by The Straits Times showed.

The company, Network for Electronic Transfers Singapore (Nets), had to re-register its enets.sg Web address by midnight, before it expired. But the renewal did not appear on a national registry of domain names until late Tuesday morning.

In the meantime, many users could not pay for all kinds of government services, from season parking to passports and road tax.

It has now been extended for another year.

Software architect Kelvin Chua, 49, alerted The Straits Times to the problem. He said he could not book badminton courts from the Singapore Sports Council as the service was down. Mr Chua, who has been working in the IT field for 14 years, said that what had upset him was the complacency of the service provider. 'If the service is so critical, why then didn't Nets renew something as basic as its domain name?' he said.

'No one is saying that the system must be up 100 per cent. This is worse than the MRT train breakdown.
'What if the domain name expires on a Saturday afternoon, and Monday is a holiday? Should users be at the mercy of some organisation's incompetence?'

Mr Michael Araneta, associate director for consulting and research at IDC Financial Insights, said an organisation with tight internal processes would not fail to overlook a simple procedure such as domain name renewal. 'But then again, outages can be caused not necessarily by sophisticated systems, but also by simple acts of omission,' he said.

The Infocomm Development Authority of Singapore said last night: 'We understand that there was an eNets outage which caused inconvenience to users accessing government e-services. Services have since been restored and we are investigating the matter.'

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I told you guys it's a systemic failure in Singapore. Poor flood management and public transport fiasco were merely the tip of the iceberg.

When you have a political party in control for too long, complacency, if not incompetency, will set in. This is human nature.

Also, the form of crony capitalism practised here will only make things worse. I have no doubt that many of the screw ups can be directly attributed to rampant outsourcing of labour without proper training. That was precisely why that Ah Tiong SBS bus driver got lost and took passengers for a ride for two hours. That was why some new BTO flats have cracks and messed up tiles. Profit maximization at the expense of everything else is immoral, perverse and ultimately unsustainable.

My worry is that when the screw up occurs in healthcare, it may cost someone's life. A downed website or MRT network will only inconvenience or frustrate you. A wrong drug, a contaminated needle, a mistaken lab label or a wrong prognosis may kill you.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
The problem happened because the company that runs the Internet payment scheme failed to renew its domain name, a check by The Straits Times showed.

Even I don't make such mistakes.

The domain registry will send a series of reminder emails starting 3 MONTHS BEFORE THE EXPIRY DATE. All that's required is to go to the domain registry website, click "renew", pay via credit card or paypal and that's it. It takes less than 60 seconds.

myo539

Alfrescian
Loyal
You never value or appreciate something or somebody until it is not there. How many times did you say thank you to all the good things that the government has done or give?

All these things happened as though heaven purposely designed it so that you will learn to thank the government.

Debonerman

Alfrescian
Loyal
You never value or appreciate something or somebody until it is not there. How many times did you say thank you to all the good things that the government has done or give?

All these things happened as though heaven purposely designed it so that you will learn to thank the government.

Good God! all those PAP cocks you've been sucking had turned your brain into a spermy mush!

rusty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Like when they repossessed your HDB flat and it no longer there?

batman1

Alfrescian
Loyal
The core of the pap govt was rotten n contaminated the
parts around it.
Knnccb to PAP !!!!!!!!!!!!!

takchenow

Alfrescian
Loyal

We have the most expensive government in the world and you are telling us to be appreciative when things are running fine.
Does your boss thank you everytime when you complete a job properly?
Incidentally, we are seeing more problems nowadays when their pay turns astonomical. My overseas relatives can't believe it when they saw photos of Orchard Road flooding last year. They thought it was in Bangkok.

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You never value or appreciate something or somebody until it is not ...
ya, man! ...

gahmen shud let peasants appreciate their own cpf moni in their own hands n feel how rich dey r :eek: .... b4 all their cpf moni is gone ... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Psst, how much are you getting paid by the gov't :confused:
Are there any open positions available:o

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I thank the good Lord each day for the government I have, putting food on my table & roof over my head, a secure bed to sleep in, Amen!:biggrin:

jw5

Loyal
I thank the good Lord each day for the government I have, putting food on my table & roof over my head, a secure bed to sleep in, Amen!:biggrin:

I am thankful for the pap because without the pap there would not be zorro, and without being able to mock him, life would be meaningless. :biggrin:

The most incompetent gahment department is the one run by the ministar without department.

Last edited: