• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

17-year-old Amelia couldnt buy kotex because of DBS

gsbslut

Stupidman
Loyal
Couldn't buy pads when period came, no Grab, and the kindness of strangers: Gen-Zs on the DBS, Citi outage
sg.news.yahoo.com
DBS/POSB ATM and Gen Z girl in distress over banking services disruption in Singapore
SINGAPORE - Last Saturday (14 October) saw many Singaporeans scramble with challenges as online banking and payment services from DBS, Citibank, and selected ATMs, were down for hours. In a highly cashless society like Singapore, this meant unforeseen frustration for many.
From paying for food to tapping on public transport, contactless payment are regularly used by many, especially in the younger generation. How did the outage impact local Gen Zs, how did they cope with the ordeal, and what did they do to get through it?
Yahoo Southeast Asia reached out to some Gen Zs who underwent personal obstacles over the disruptions.

Couldn't pay for Grab ride or buy sanitary pads while on period​

The outage of DBS and Citi's banking services "kind of ruined" 17-year-old Amelia's Saturday.
She had booked a Grab ride from at around 3 to 4pm, only to realise later that she was unable to pay for the ride.
As the QR code had failed to scan, the Grab driver was "quite angry", but later understood after Amelia explained the situation. She managed to transfer her Grab fare to the driver the next day.
After arriving at her boyfriend's home, her period unexpectedly came later at around 7pm. However, she was unable to purchase any sanitary pads as neither she, her boyfriend, nor his mother had any physical cash on hand.
Purchasing the pads through online platforms was not an option either, given that all three parties only had DBS or POSB bank accounts. "I was having a very sudden flow (of blood). I actually broke down because I was so stressed."
Mad about the situation, Amelia sent a complaint message to DBS, and considered closing her bank account to switch to another bank. Her reason stemmed from the fact that DBS and POSB had experienced at least three banking service disruptions in the past two years.
She also tried contacting her sister, who was unable to help, as she was stranded in Bukit Batok.
"I didn't want to leave the house, as I was wearing an off-white shirt at the point of time, and was scared the blood would be everywhere. I chose to be safe and stayed at my boyfriend's place."
For dinner, Amelia and her boyfriend ended up sharing two packets of instant noodles. She eventually got home between 10 to 11pm, after seeking help from her aunt, who booked Amelia a Grab ride home using an OCBC card.
"I'm not going to leave the house cashless anymore," she said. As of Monday (16 October) afternoon, Amelia said she had yet to receive a response from DBS.

Left with only $1, hair cut deferred, and settled for home cooked pasta dinner​

Meanwhile, 20-year-old Thorsten Ng had his plans for a haircut thwarted, at around 5pm on Saturday.
He only discovered digital and banking payment services were down when he attempted to make payment via an app, before realising the transaction was unable to go through.
The full-time national serviceman (NSF) assumed it was an issue with the internet or his phone, and restarted his phone. It was only after he did a Google search, did he read about the news.
As the nearest ATM was also out of service, he was unable to get his hair cut.
Checking his wallet, he realised he only had $1 in physical cash. He had also used up his Grab credits for a lunch order earlier that afternoon, and was unable to get dinner for himself.
"At that point, I was a bit worried. I live with my mom, and she was away in Malaysia. We largely eat healthy, so we don't have instant food at home."
Fortunately, upon arriving home, he managed to find some pasta and a can of pasta sauce, which he cooked for dinner.
"It was scary at first because I didn't know how long I was going to be out of money. I was also a bit concerned about whether the outage will be fixed by Sunday morning as I usually attend church. I have to eat breakfast, and take public transport to church."
Ng stayed home for the rest of Saturday night, filming TikTok videos to distract himself. One video has since gone viral, accumulating over 177,000 views.
"I always say that TikTok is my coping mechanisms, so I guess it worked."
Ng managed to get his hair cut on Sunday.

Break time panic, gracious strangers​

Hannah Haziqah, 19, was visiting the nearby 7-11 at around 4pm to get food when her Apple Pay transaction did not go through.
The ITE College East student was working as a one-day promoter for a local beverage brand at a warehouse in Giant Hypermarket Tampines.
Assuming it was an issue with Apple Pay, she went back to grab her wallet, only to realise she had no cash on hand, and NETS was not working as well. She spent half of her hour-long break trying to figure out what to do.
"I was confused and irritated. I did not understand what was going on. It was just very sudden," she said.
Thankfully, she recalled she had another bank account fifteen minutes later, and was able to pay for a sandwich and drink, after calling her mother to transfer some money into that account.
Nureesha Zainal Abidin was also out on a break to buy cup noodles at a convenient store in Marina Square, at around 3 to 4pm on Saturday, when she realised her Visa payWave was not working.
The 19-year-old also had no physical cash, and was informed that the nearby ATM was defective.
"I was panicking, and was quite hungry as I did not bring food along for my shift."
Luckily, a lady standing behind her in line graciously offered to pay for Nureesha's cup noodles.
"I am very grateful. She was just a stranger," she said.

Reliance on digital banking and payment services​

Following the latest incident, the Gen-Zs Yahoo Southeast Asia spoke to agreed they would take a minimum of $5 to a maximum of $100 in physical cash when they leave the house.
However, they would still rely largely on online banking and digital payment services for purchases.
"The thought is that I don't need cash anywhere I go these days because of how prevalent the online banking system and payments are in Singapore," said Sandra, 23.
During weekday lunches with her colleagues, she typically only carries her phone. Sandra also pointed out that some hawker centres are "completely cashless" these days.
Reflecting on last Saturday's outage, she suggests carrying different cards when going out.
"I think it makes you question the reliability of things. We always think banks are extremely reliable, but you need to also have second options or alternatives in mind if situations like these happen."
*Some names have been changed upon request.
Do you have a story tip? Email:
[email protected].
You can also follow us on
Facebook, Instagram, TikTok and Twitter. Also check out our Southeast Asia, Food, and Gaming channels on YouTube.
Yahoo Singapore Telegram

millim6868

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ceca in dbs are all papigs good friends esp familee,lol,sg is the only place where u make mistake u still keep the job,lol

Balls2U

Alfrescian
Loyal
It really amazes me that so many Sinkie idiots have only one account with that fuck up bank.

bushtucker

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Take an old t shirt, fold it into a diaper shape and wear it la. Sinkies can be blockheads at times.

Hightech88

Alfrescian
Loyal
Fark CECA DBS. Fark CECA CEO Gupta he needs to be sacked immediately. Make until people so troublesome during those horror period last Sat.
NBPCB.
Bonus pic..:

OWbDGVM.jpg

superpower

Alfrescian
Loyal
Gupta should go. Stat. His being on first name terms with Whore Ching notwithstanding.

This is the 4th major outage in the past 2 years, each time just getting a slap on the wrist from MAS.

MAS orders DBS to set aside regulatory capital of $1.6b after latest disruption

Aqil Hamzah

6 MAY 2023 AT 12:40 AM SGT

SINGAPORE – A disruption to DBS Bank’s digital banking and ATM services on Friday and an earlier widespread disruption on March 29 mean the additional capital requirement it must set aside now stands at about $1.6 billion.

The Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS), in a statement on Friday night, said the capital requirement takes into account the one imposed in February 2022,which required Singapore’s largest bank to set aside about $930 million in regulatory capital.

MAS added that DBS Bank will now need to apply a multiplier of 1.8 times to its risk-weighted assets for operational risk, up from the 1.5 times multiplier previously applied in 2022, after it suffered its worst outage in more than a decade in November 2021.

This means the bank must set aside an additional amount of about $670 million in regulatory capital. This refers to the amount of capital banks have to set aside as a buffer in case of unexpected losses, as well as to keep themselves solvent in times of crisis.

MAS added that it may adjust the size of the multiplier depending on the outcome of ongoing reviews.

Although the incident on March 29 appears to be separate from the one on Friday, MAS said it will require the special board committee set up by DBS Bank to oversee both incidents.

The committee was set up on March 31 to look into the cause of the March 29 disruption to the bank’s digital banking services.

The statement said: “MAS had then directed DBS Bank to conduct a comprehensive review, including an assessment of the adequacy of management oversight, staff competencies, operational processes, system resiliency, and architecture design for its digital banking services.”

During the March 29 incident, customers were unable to access online banking services from about 8.30am to 5.30pm, in what was DBS Bank’s second disruption to digital banking services in 16 months.

Friday’s disruption, which marks the third one in 18 months for the bank, was resolved in about 45 minutes.

MAS said it has also asked DBS Bank to take immediate steps to improve the resiliency and recoverability of its existing system, in order to minimise disruption of its services to customers.

Ms Ho Hern Shin, who is MAS deputy managing director of financial supervision, said in the statement that DBS Bank had fallen short of the central bank’s expectations for banks to deliver reliable services to their customers.

Describing the repeated inconveniences caused to the public as “unacceptable”, she said the latest penalty imposed on DBS Bank shows how seriously MAS views the matter.

She said: “DBS Bank must spare no effort in dealing with the underlying issues leading to these disruptions.”

DBS chief executive Piyush Gupta, in a statement late on Friday night, apologised for the recent digital disruptions and said the bank is committed to doing better.

He said: “Following the March 29 incident, the bank convened a special board committee to oversee a full review of our technology resiliency with an independent external expert.

“We will complete the review as a matter of utmost priority and implement all recommendations expeditiously.”