• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Is NSP's Malay Bureau the reason why Goh Meng Seng left NSP?

paulhong

Alfrescian
Loyal
donaldson's staff defending donaldson.. and the article says tat the malay chap who uncovered donaldson tan's posting is NSP member.

then the malay chap who baotoh the white scum jason neo is also NSP member.

issit bcoz mr goh meng seng tak bo leh tahan the NSP mats yoyos calling the shots as tat hurts his big chinese ego? :biggrin: then quickly quit NSP liao? :biggrin:

then goh meng seng frequents macau or hongkong....mus be his chinese-ego at work! :eek:

Goh Meng Seng:
enough-logo.gif

newasiarepublic.com/?p=34837

Religious sensitivities in Singapore and proper editorial judgement

A furore was recently kicked up when Mr Donaldson Tan was approached to assist in an investigation over a reposted Facebook picture that was considered highly provocative. Tan reposted a picture of a pig superimposed on Kaaba, a sacred cuboid building in Mecca. Pigs are considered unclean to muslims which explains the provocative nature of the picture.

Reports have highlighted Tan’s role as an editor of the New Asia Republic, my current colleague, after his departure from The Online Citizen.

The reason behind Tan’s actions, as he explains, was to act as a whistle-blower to warn the community of the existence of that controversial picture. This was why he placed a disclaimer on the picture, “This is a flame bait. YOU ARE WARNED”. When told to take down the posting, Tan did not do so, but what was not reported by the media both mainstream and alternative was that he actually gave a tip to the others on how the picture could be taken down via Facebook. The picture together with its postings was subsequently removed by Facebook administrators.

The situation was exacerbated when Tan expressed his view that “Islam is not sacrosanct”. Thus, was Tan guilty of religious provocation?

It is plausible that Tan had the intentions to whistle blow because firstly, he warned that the picture was a flame bait and secondly, he also gave a tip on how the picture can be taken down. However, what Tan could have done better is to better communicate his intent to whistle-blow, and avoid posting his personal views of Islam not being sacrosanct. He is entitled to his personal views, but from a PR perspective, it might not have been the most appropriate thing to say at that instant.

Proper communication is important especially when discussing sensitive religious issues and in this case, blowing the whistle on a religiously provocative picture. One would have thought the episode had reached its conclusion when Facebook took down the picture, but that was not the case.

Amran Junid, who was clearly aggrieved by the incident subsequently not only made a police report, but went to a media outlet, The Online Citizen, and told the world at large about it. This begs the question about Amran’s agenda about blowing up a matter which has long being resolved by the Facebook administrators.

Granted that he may be well within his rights to make a police report, questions will be asked of his going to the media with the report. Checks on Amran’s background have shown that he is closely linked with an opposition party, the National Solidarity Party, which contested our General Elections.

Therefore, the following questions could be asked of Amran with regards to his making the police report and subsequently approaching a media outlet for widespread publication of the case:

1)What does he intend to achieve with this widespread publicity?
2)Was political gain in question, e.g. scoring points for the National Solidarity Party with the muslim community for being a vigilante or exposing someone whom he believed has harmed its interest?
3)Why go to a media outlet before police investigations have concluded?

The Online Citizen’s publication of the matter by Miss Jewel Philemon (the daughter of Interim Chief Editor, Mr Ravi Philemon) also raises some questions as well, firstly, because a police report is usually of a private nature. The fact that someone wants to make public something of a private nature raises some degree of suspicion of a potential agenda.

Police reports have proven to be a sticky issue in the past. The late Mr Joshua Benjamin Jeyaretnam announced to a rally crowd about two police reports made against the then Prime Minister Goh Chok Tong and his people. Jeyaretnam was subsequently sued by Mr Goh and others. A police report has already claimed a victim in Jeyaretnam.

Usually, when someone like Amran makes a police report and the matter is under investigation, proper editorial judgement will tell us that Amran should be advised to wait for the conclusion of the investigation by the police before publicising the matter. This is what an editor worth his weight in gold should do. A police report may or may not be a serious matter, non-serious ones are domestic disputes, while serious ones are real crimes.

However, of course, a sensational tabloid would have just blown up the matter, when someone like Amran approached them with a police report like such regardless of whether investigations have concluded.

Thus, proper editorial judgement involves selecting which topics are necessary to highlight to the public. Worthy causes, for example, like helping a family in need, helping to create public awareness of a health hazard and all those along these lines should be highlighted to the public. However, when a potentially inflammatory religious matter, which is pending investigation, is blown up and sensationalised, it could have a counter-productive impact on the society or individuals and groups implicated like for example, generating mutual feelings of dislike.

Thus, what separates good editors from the bad ones is the ability to judge which stories deserve the light of the day, and which to turn away or keep in view.

Secondly, the report by The Online Citizen failed to include another angle, that from Tan himself. The angle only came from Amran himself who approached with the police report, but proper objectivity requires granting an interview with Tan too.

Therefore, in essence, there are no saints in this episode. Tan, for example, could have communicated better his whistle-blowing intent. Questions could be asked of Amran for approaching a media outlet before police investigations even concluded. Last of all, The Online Citizen’s interim chief Mr Philemon and his daughter, Jewel, should also take responsibility for any counter-productive impact generated from this publication because proper editorial judgement would involve waiting for investigations to conclude and generating another angle from Tan. In this case, it is poor editorial judgement.

Last edited:

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Goh Meng Seng is not happy with AJ doing what he did as he felt it was an over-reaction that would sour his friendship with Donaldson. But that's not the reason for GMS leaving NSP.

As I said, GMS decided in July that NSP platform was not suitable for him.It was already moot that he would officially leave NSP after the PE is over so that the two issues would not be conflagrated. Classic GMS, but hardly surprising. His departure was predicted earlier this year even before the GE.

The only outstanding is leaving behind all those new fresh faces in NSP abandoned by GMS after he roped them in. Nicole Seah, Jeanette, Hazel and Tony are still relatively new to politics and may not realize their ideals are not in sync with the backbenchers.

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
A post from NAR on the New NSP. That is what NNSP has become.

Fabian Chow

Posted November 28, 2011 at 12:05 PM

When I first heard of rumors that the Jason picture (wrong and intolerable as it is) was a result of some guy from NSP that did not have the best intentions at heart, I was inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt.

The subsequent press release by NSP Secretary General Hazel Phoa on the matter smacks of well-timed opportunism and caused me to give pause that there might really be more than meets the eye from NSP.

Now with this latest revleation of yet another NSP guy involved in yet another inappropriate online posting on Islam, I’m begining to think it might be part of a PR strategy to position themselves and stay relevant in politics in light of their dismal performance in GE 2011.

I hope this is not true as expliting religious tensions to stir “dabian” is really a dispicable act and could potentially harm the country’s social harmony and security interest. This has gone far beyond the realm of playing politics.

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
The only outstanding is leaving behind all those new fresh faces in NSP abandoned by GMS after he roped them in. Nicole Seah, Jeanette, Hazel and Tony are still relatively new to politics and may not realize their ideals are not in sync with the backbenchers.

Are you sure on the "abandoned" and "roped in" part? And that the "relatively new" and "in sync" matters?

captainxerox

Alfrescian
Loyal
A post from NAR on the New NSP. That is what NNSP has become.

they want to erode malay votes from pap and do what pkms failed to do. so far by well-timed attacks and statements, they look on track. so far, they have not raised article 152 yet. matter of time.

paulhong

Alfrescian
Loyal
152? soon lah. :biggrin: no wonder pro-Chinese racist goh meng seng quickly quit NSP.

remember tat NSP mat yoyo Firdaus who baotoh PAP's jason neo? he is unable to find a job. like a bro mentioned earlier, hazel poa's statement is damn bloody opportunistic.

gilbert of transitioning.org is NSP member too right? :eek:

transitioning.org/2011/11/28/malay-pmet-unhappy-with-interview-held-at-national-environment-agency/

Malay PMET Unhappy With Interview Held At National Environment Agency

Dear Mr Noor Firdaus,

We refer to your email dated 14 Nov 2011.

We understand your concerns on the group interview and would like to assure you that proper screening has been done before and during the interviews. In line with our procedures, we have conducted group interviews to assess the candidates’ responses and interaction within the group. We have taken measures to set selection questions in the appropriate context and to ensure that no sensitive questions were asked. Candidates are also given the liberty to decide whether they wish to answer any of the questions.

We have noted the noise issue and would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused. This arose from unforeseen circumstances as the childcare centre happened to be conducting activities at the 2nd level on that day. We have taken note of this and will source for more suitable venues for our future mass recruitment.

Thank you for your feedback and interest in a career with the National Environment Agency, and we wish you the best in your future endeavours.

Regards,

Kong Chia Wei . Human Resource Manager (Staffing)

Human Resource Division

National Environment Agency

Dear Kong Chia Wei,

How was the recruitment criteria being done? I urge you and your department to be transparent as you have not answer my queries.

The selection was done very quickly without considering properly the eligibility of the candidates.

Earlier in your email you stated and I quote: “Candidates are also given the liberty to decide whether they wish to answer any of the questions”

My question is – if the candidates refuse to answer the questions, will he/she be rejected?

I am confused by your statement. It is obvious that during the job interview, if a job applicant refuses to answer the questions, he/ she will be rejected straight away.

I would like to suggest that your department re do the whole recruitment process and call back all the job applicants for another interview as there is the hint of discrimination during the recruitment process. Moreover, the venue of interview is obviously not suitable.

I still remember our former Prime Minister Mr Lee Kuan Yew mentioned about “First World Government” in year 2006 and now - National Environment Agency as a governmernt agency is doing recruitment as if our government is a Third world government.

Where’s the standard?

Please take note that I will not attend any of NEA job interviews anymore.

However, I will get my volunteers/friends to apply jobs with NEA, attend the interview and ask them for their feedback.

I will then feedback their review to you if any.

I want you and your department to be accountable.

Regards,

Mr Noor Firdaus Bin Abdul Samad

Editor’s Note: This article has been editted and permission was given by Mr Firdaus to post the email exchange here.

paulhong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Firdaus and Gilbert, both from NSP, 同流合污, 狼狈为奸. while goh meng seng 洁身自爱, leave NSP. smart choice? :biggrin:

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
Firdaus and Gilbert, both from NSP, 同流合污, 狼狈为奸. while goh meng seng 洁身自爱, leave NSP. smart choice? :biggrin:

So far pointed out are Firdaus, Hazel, Amran and Gilbert. Present TOC chief Ravi and daughter are Jeannette's election campaigners. All NSP. The village idiot started Malay Bureau. His successors Indian Bureau. PAP, WP, SDP no formal racial bureau.

NSP's new game is racial politics, I guess. Should be called Nazi Sectarian Party.

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Are you sure on the "abandoned" and "roped in" part? And that the "relatively new" and "in sync" matters?

"Abandoned" and "roped in" is purely an observer's interpretation of events, since obviously the protagonist will offer a far more favourable version and the ones still in NSP are intelligent enough not to add salt and pepper. As for "rel. new" and "in sync", GMS can manage his colleagues because of his several years of experience in politics. The rest need some more training and experience IMO.

(Use of word "manage" again ... GMS sure flame me)

IreneYeoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
So can we have a Chinese bureau?

Up your points cause it's a good point. Why Malay Bureau and Indian Bureau? All should be same. I was born in Malaysia and my parents came here cause of all that racial politics. When growing up here, PAP restarted all that racial politics again with GRC system. Please. All the same. The most capable wins, whether Chinese, Malay, Indian or other.

CannonFairy

Alfrescian
Loyal
I vaguely remember some forum member here mention Goh Meng Seng has big Chinese ego.

Now Goh Meng Seng happens to leads Chinese writers in theonlinecitizen.

donaldson's staff defending donaldson.. and the article says tat the malay chap who uncovered donaldson tan's posting is NSP member.

then the malay chap who baotoh the white scum jason neo is also NSP member.

issit bcoz mr goh meng seng tak bo leh tahan the NSP mats yoyos calling the shots as tat hurts his big chinese ego? :biggrin: then quickly quit NSP liao? :biggrin:

then goh meng seng frequents macau or hongkong....mus be his chinese-ego at work! :eek:

Goh Meng Seng:
enough-logo.gif

fivestars

Alfrescian
Loyal
SPP leave SDA and PKMS also lose Potong Pasir. Racial to get support from Chinese, India and Malay important?

Why SPP lose Potong Pasir?

Malay PKMS vote important?

psy83

Alfrescian
Loyal
Up your points cause it's a good point. Why Malay Bureau and Indian Bureau? All should be same. I was born in Malaysia and my parents came here cause of all that racial politics. When growing up here, PAP restarted all that racial politics again with GRC system. Please. All the same. The most capable wins, whether Chinese, Malay, Indian or other.

You ought to go back to where you belong.. Malaysians dont fucking interfere in our politics!!!. Fucking Malaysians.. FUCK OFF!!! WE GREW HERE, YOU EITHER FLEW HERE OR TOOK THE BUS HERE!! EITHER WAY FUCK OFF.

Last edited:

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Breakfast time!