• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

How to save this forum?

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
I just want to help this site restored to the glory days.

I've never experienced any "glory days" for as long as I've been running the place. This place has always been designed to accommodate the non sexual content of the main sex site. The arrangement has continued under the new ownership.

You can turn this forum into whatever you want it to be. It serves the collective needs of its members.

blowsg

Alfrescian
Loyal
difficult to resolve clones issue.

leongsam only provides platform. Not sure there's anything he can do with quality of posts.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
difficult to resolve clones issue.

leongsam only provides platform. Not sure there's anything he can do with quality of posts.

Clones is hardly a new problem. They existed way back in the days of newsgroups. soc.culture.singapore was full of them and so too was the old delphi forum.

cooleo

Alfrescian
Loyal
I've never experienced any "glory days" for as long as I've been running the place. This place has always been designed to accommodate the non sexual content of the main sex site. The arrangement has continued under the new ownership.

You can turn this forum into whatever you want it to be. It serves the collective needs of its members.

Btw Sam your signature saying "Sinkies have weenie dicks" is not very accurate leh. We all know ah nehs have the shortest penises.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
It's script I'm playing with. It's harmless. Check out www.zopim.com

I'm testing it out here before I install it in real time at on the commercial site of one of my clients.

Ya lah, Sam. I see it oso. What's it huh?

How come you neber warn us or tell us in advance huh?

I thot mebbe got virus..

Spock

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's script I'm playing with. It's harmless. Check out www.zopim.com

I'm testing it out here before I install it in real time at on the commercial site of one of my clients.

Just a suggestion, your chat thingy was so irritating that I decided to block out flash altogether when browsing your site. Might be wise to just do the popup only when clicked. People usually don't like to have their screen space obscured even partially by default.

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
dun be like PAP government - every thing also want to moderate / want to change - like those old hawker centres / Chinatown...once you moderate or deliberately try to do something, it will turn out different (for worse).

self-management - will be fine.

I visit Sammyboy every day...to look at postings. No worry lah...sammyboy will always be around...

cooleo

Alfrescian
Loyal
I also installed the Zopim on my website. Ok la, quite good. If people send you message, you can receive alerts on your msn messenger.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Just a suggestion, your chat thingy was so irritating that I decided to block out flash altogether when browsing your site.

It's only temporary. Once I get all the settings configured, I'll uninstall the script and move it to the site it was intended for.

cooleo

Alfrescian
Loyal
I've been using this site to conduct experiments for as long as I can remember.

You should test the level of stupidity in this forum. Should make for an interesting case study on how the education system in Singapore has fucked up.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
dun be like PAP government - every thing also want to moderate / want to change - like those old hawker centres / Chinatown...once you moderate or deliberately try to do something, it will turn out different (for worse).

self-management - will be fine.

I visit Sammyboy every day...to look at postings. No worry lah...sammyboy will always be around...

I am not changing for the sake of change. Like I wrote, the quality of this place has been in the dumps of late. Left unchecked, it will go worse.

If you want a Pap analogy, it's like cleaning up the Singapore river before it becomes a biohazard.

singapore+river2.jpg

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
I am not changing for the sake of change. Like I wrote, the quality of this place has been in the dumps of late. Left unchecked, it will go worse.

The action has moved to the political section as a result of the recent GE. There are quite a number of quality threads there.

If you don't like the quality of the current content, you're most welcome to upgrade the forum by posting some of your wisdom. A forum is only as good as the collective intellectual level of its members.

Sam's coffee shop has been around for 11 years. It's had its ups and downs but it's not going to disappear overnight.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Have to agree with RT that quality is an issue recently. Some of it maybe post elections blues but all is not well. Also shelf life may be a factor.

I did notice that people reading threads are high (quite surprised how high especially during GE) but people actually posting in reply and engaging in discussions seems much much less. I suspect that part of the problem is the creation of multiple threads on the same topic that meaningful comments are hard to follow. Those who took the trouble to craft quality responses feel that it might not worth it to carry on and just sit back and read. Merging of topics might help but it is a deviation of the model of little or no moderation.

It might be worth the attempt to rescue Political Folder and not let it go the way of the Emigration Folder (which was a popular folder and important folder) which which was literally destroyed by a single troll and two gullible chaps who would take the bait with no hesitation. It does require the collective effort of the vets here and everyone else to who wants to contribute.

Here is a suggestion that requires the "collective" effort of members and a bit of moderation by Sam.

Creation of a Super Folder which will become an anchor tenant just like a major supermarket in a mall to draw others to patronise the other much smaller shops. Quality Threads are identified and moved to the super folder. No one can start a thread but they can respond to it. Proven contributers can eventually qualify to create thread in the folder. Everyone else especially the vets have to contribute by posting responses and comments diligently. Sam can do the sweep on a daily basis and time wise he is the first to wake up anyway. I envisage the super folder to carry topical issues both political and non political but the focus is meaningful dialogue ie threads with long tails. If this fails, we only got ourselves to blame.

I am also aware that many members who are reading the posts used to contribute heavily in the past but prefer to remain quiet now. I suspect that they appreciate the info that comes thru but tend to discuss it in forums that are moderated. I think we must realise that this forum's success was built on little moderation.

More importantly I think such a folder will be easier to follow with a few but enough quality threads as many are just so busy with facebooks, twitter, blogs and of course work.

Last edited:

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Creation of a Super Folder which will become an anchor tenant just like a major supermarket in a mall to draw others to patronise the other much smaller shops. Quality Threads are identified and moved to the super folder. No one can start a thread but they can respond to it. Proven contributers can eventually qualify to create thread in the folder. Everyone else especially the vets have to contribute by posting responses and comments diligently. Sam can do the sweep on a daily basis and time wise he is the first to wake up anyway. I envisage the super folder to carry topical issues both political and non political but the focus is meaningful dialogue ie threads with long tails. If this fails, we only got ourselves to blame.

I am also aware that many members who are reading the posts used to contribute heavily in the past but prefer to remain quiet now. I suspect that they appreciate the info that comes thru but tend to discuss it in forums that are moderated. I think we must realise that this forum's success was built on little moderation.

More importantly I think such a folder will be easier to follow with a few but enough quality threads as many are just so busy with facebooks, twitter, blogs and of course work.

Thanks for your input Scroobal.

We all realise the socio-political cyberspace landscape is changing in Singapore. If anyone's been reading some of the stuff youngsters are posting on our MPs' FB walls, he'd agree.

SBF has served the local community well by staying one step ahead of the trend and it's time to move forward again. It would be a shame to lose some of the regular contributors here.

And like u, I do believe joint moderation is necessary to keeping this forum competitive.