• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

How many MPs take bus / MRT to work everyday?

jw5

Loyal
Back to the original thread subject, I've only seen one current or former MP on public transport before.
That was many years ago and it was former NMP and attorney general Walter Woon. He was sitting facing the back and I was sitting opposite him. He was smiling benignly, although not to anyone in particular, I think.
Another famous singaporean that I saw on a public bus many years ago was Philip J. He was with his wife and kid, who was still a baby then.

peterlth

Alfrescian
Loyal
Back to the original thread subject, I've only seen one current or former MP on public transport before.
That was many years ago and it was former NMP and attorney general Walter Woon. He was sitting facing the back and I was sitting opposite him. He was smiling benignly, although not to anyone in particular, I think.
Another famous singaporean that I saw on a public bus many years ago was Philip J. He was with his wife and kid, who was still a baby then.

I respect humble people like our late president Mr Wee.

kukubird58

Alfrescian
Loyal
WKW was told to get a car as it is an embarassment for the State that its ex-President had to travel by public transport... WKW placed an order for a Honda Accord which was what he could afford on his pension...... Wooden jumped when he heard about it and told WKW to at least get a mercedes to reflect the prestige of his ex-office....... but WKW really money no enough to buy a mercedes. :rolleyes:

In the end the gahmen ended up paying for the mercedes. :biggrin:

Bro allan - is your news ceedible or heresay...

I have witnessed 1 incident many years ago.
Chan Soo Sen was Snr Parliamentary Secretary, MINDEF.
At a MINDEF function in SAFTI MI, he was the GOH.
After the function, there was a row of cars waiting in line.
As the GOH, his car was first in line. It was a small Japanese car, definitely less than 1,600cc. Probably 1,000cc. Also he had to drive himself as he had no driver.
After his car was a line of Mercedes for CDF, COA, CAF, CNV..and all with drivers.
It was uniquely Sinkapore....

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
yeah i believe in e saf, certain officers holding a high enuff appt are also nt allowed to take public tpt. Perhaps dis is a govt directive to office holders w certain so called status :(

Last time SAF officer levels even cadet officers cannot take bus unless they remove the rank from uniform. Now i think no more such rule, i have seen major ranks take MRT.

SIA also forbid their stewards/stewardess from taking pubilc transport in uniform but pilots can sidestep this rule if they remove their shoulder lapels and 'wings' from the uniform

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What about the 1st Lady and her t a lent for bad investments? We have discussing a lot about problem gambling lately.I would argue she is the probably Singapore's biggest problem gambler.

To make matters worse, she doesn't gamble with her own money. No wonder she never learns from past mistakes. Ask her gamble with her own money and she will retreat.

coolguy

Alfrescian
Loyal
Last time during NSF, I never saw any officer even lieutenant taking public transport one. At most only saw a few 1st or master sergeant.:biggrin:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I think it's unrealistic and impracticable to expect all ministers and senior civil servants to take public transport, and accord "respect" only to those who do. I don't accord respect to people by their mode of transport, but by their works. There's nothing wrong with owning and driving a car according to your income. Actually, there may be something wrong if you don't. This being Christmas seaon, the Christmas Carol story of Scrooge comes in handily off the cuff. Why amass all that money and scringe for in life? Epilogued by the classic Chinese eulogy, you can't bring it along into your casket.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
hahaha...got to spilt hairs here...
isn't taxis public transport?

Yes you are right, the rules only pertain to buses and MRT type of public transport.
Motorbikes classified as private transport but i think SIA will frown upon their aircrew taking that as transport in uniform.

Tristan

Alfrescian
Loyal
So the bus and mrt is transportation only for peasants? Wah, Singapore also have class systems... the untouchables take bus and mrt, the brahmins take car and the ruling party are chauffeur driven.

Alfrescian
Loyal
A person's importance is measure by how accessible he is, or rather inaccessible. An MP is an important person, is he not? Would he be important if he was seen regularly with the public? Let's not get pretentious please, there's absolutely no need for anyone with power to play the man of the people.