• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Happy Holidays to all SBF friends!

Cosmos10

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
enjoy winter solstice with a bowl of bobo chacha garnished with pomegranate seeds....

View attachment 25054

Hi ESND, did you boil your bobo chacha with some pandan leaves?

Serious question: Do you have a pandan leaf plant grown in your garden?

Reason I ask: I have close relatives staying near where you are in the bay area, and they want to grow pandan plant in their garden, but dunno where to find。Do you think it would be safe (to go through custom check) for me to bring a small plant from SG the next time I visit them there?

pandan-plant.jpg

Asterix

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
A thought provoking, highly philosophical and contemplative, and my favourite Christmas song .........

[video=youtube;mEUp2WU4uf0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEUp2WU4uf0[/video]

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hi ESND, did you boil your bobo chacha with some pandan leaves?

Serious question: Do you have a pandan leaf plant grown in your garden?

Reason I ask: I have close relatives staying near where you are in the bay area, and they want to grow pandan plant in their garden, but dunno where to find。Do you think it would be safe (to go through custom check) for me to bring a small plant from SG the next time I visit them there?

yes, i added pandan leaves but they're frozen and in packages from the supermarket. no, you cannot bring pandan leaves or plant via custom. if caught, the fine is usd25k, and they will blacklist you. worse, they will hold you and seize your passport unless bail is set for a court date. you'll screw up your trip. there's no point growing pandan in the bay area as the climate is not conducive for growing tropical plants. your relatives will need a greenhouse, and they can find a pinoy family who may have smuggled pandan plants on packaged shipments with false declaration to buy from. but seriously without a well maintained greenhouse, they will die or freeze in winter. asian supermarkets sell frozen pandan leaves anyway. the flavor and fragrance remain intact when frozen.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
DO NOT ATEMPT TO BRING ANY LIVE PLANT INTO NORTH AMERICA, unless you have a license to do it.

Among the Singaporean/Malaysian community in cities there, there are always people discussing where to purchase things like pandan leaves, which are available at oriental stores and supermarkets. You can get the leaves, but NOT the root(s). IN North America, pandan plant is called Screwpine in western shops who are familiar with Eastern cuisines.

If you succeed and is successful in growing a pandan plant, there, you will become very popular in the ASEAN community. Believe me, everyone will ask you for one, so they can start their own garden.

Cheers!

..................。Do you think it would be safe (to go through custom check) for me to bring a small plant from SG the next time I visit them there?............

Cosmos10

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
A thought provoking, highly philosophical and contemplative, and my favourite Christmas song .........

Hi bro, thank you for all your assortment of "thought-provoking" videos for twelve months of 2015!

Have I told you before that I like your username Asterix? If I ever change my username here, i will consider using one of the special characters/symbols too.

Happy holidays to you! :smile:

Cosmos10

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
yes, i added pandan leaves but they're frozen and in packages from the supermarket. no, you cannot bring pandan leaves or plant via custom. if caught, the fine is usd25k, and they will blacklist you. worse, they will hold you and seize your passport unless bail is set for a court date. you'll screw up your trip. there's no point growing pandan in the bay area as the climate is not conducive for growing tropical plants. your relatives will need a greenhouse, and they can find a pinoy family who may have smuggled pandan plants on packaged shipments with false declaration to buy from. but seriously without a well maintained greenhouse, they will die or freeze in winter. asian supermarkets sell frozen pandan leaves anyway. the flavor and fragrance remain intact when frozen.

Thanks for your good advice.

Sounds scary! I will not take the risk to bring the plant there.

Cosmos10

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
DO NOT ATEMPT TO BRING ANY LIVE PLANT INTO NORTH AMERICA, unless you have a license to do it.

Among the Singaporean/Malaysian community in cities there, there are always people discussing where to purchase things like pandan leaves, which are available at oriental stores and supermarkets. You can get the leaves, but NOT the root(s). IN North America, pandan plant is called Screwpine in western shops who are familiar with Eastern cuisines.

If you succeed and is successful in growing a pandan plant, there, you will become very popular in the ASEAN community. Believe me, everyone will ask you for one, so they can start their own garden.

Cheers!

Hi bro, thanks for your info. and advice.

And you know, they (my relatives) do not only miss pandan plant, they say they miss having laksa leaf plant, curry leaf plant, and one kind of purple leaves that we usually boil with white barley soup (do you know the name?) etc.

The next thing I say to them is: if you miss so many tropical plants, then move back to SG lah!:biggrin:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hi bro, thanks for your info. and advice.

And you know, they (my relatives) do not only miss pandan plant, they say they miss having laksa leaf plant, curry leaf plant, and one kind of purple leaves that we usually boil with white barley soup (do you know the name?) etc.

The next thing I say to them is: if you miss so many tropical plants, then move back to SG lah!:biggrin:

tell your relatives they can find locally produced fresh laksa leaves from vietnamese farmers who sell herbs and produce at the nearest farmers' market in the weekends. it's called a different name in viet. need to look it up. (ok, found it.......rau răm.) and they are only sold at specific (warmer) seasons, like kangkong.

curry leaves are easily available at the nearest ah neh store. both viet and hmong farmers also sell purplish leaves or herb that go with barley soup.

a bunch of tropical herbs and leaves from the milpitas farmers' market in summer....somewhere in there were laksa leaves. could smell the distinctive fragrance from yards away.

image.jpg

Last edited:

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
tell your relatives they can find locally produced fresh laksa leaves from vietnamese farmers who sell herbs and produce at the nearest farmers' market in the weekends. it's called a different name in viet. need to look it up. and they are only sold at specific (warmer) seasons, like kangkong.

curry leaves are easily available at the nearest ah neh store. both viet and hmong farmers also sell purplish leaves or herb that go with barley soup.

Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme is all I need to compliment and enhance my gastronomic cravings.

I moved to Ang Moh land to get away from all those repulsive herbs and vegetables that permeate all the shit that Sinkies love stuffing into their faces.

I ordered Rojak once and the guy started chopping bits of what looked like a dog's penis into my Rojak sauce. I told him to stop it. It looked really repulsive.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme is all I need to compliment and enhance my gastronomic cravings.

I moved to Ang Moh land to get away from all those repulsive herbs and vegetables that permeate all the shit that Sinkies love stuffing into their faces.

I ordered Rojak once and the guy started chopping bits of what looked like a dog's penis into my Rojak sauce. I told him to stop it. It looked really repulsive.

i grow all 4 herbs plus oregano and chives in my backyard. they're often used for roasting meat to give aromatic fragrance to the meal. all excellent flavorful plants. the dog penis that i see being used in my favorite rojak corner at far east plaza is the purplish banana shoot or bud of the flower, i think. it goes "ruff ruff" when being chopped to bits. :p

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ha ha, you sure you spotted the panda? :smile:

Why can't stand "湯圓; pinyin: tāngyuán"?

I like to eat it.

My late grandma insisted that everyone in the family must eat it. Otherwise, according to her funny "belief", we would not grow old by another year or something like that.

I spotted the "panda" straightaway.....I never likes the "tong yun" & still do not like it today, though the quality of the sticky rice flour was better, yesteryears & one could buy them in the wet market in colours of white or pinkish white; I had to eat at least....two of them!. Yes, the older generation believed that, even though my late mother became a Christian for decades, some 'old tradition' other than, burning joss sticks etc... were still practised...especially the 'tong yun' thing for winter.... etc..

wikiphile

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

According to ancient chink medical wisdom, dog penises are good for your health. It will boost your immune system, regenerate lost body parts, cancer fighting and a myriad of other health benefits too numerous to list down here. So what are you waiting for? Get some today

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
On behalf of the forum host and the moderators,

I wish all samsters peace and joy in this blessed holiday season.

Altogether now, Huat ah!

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Good Day Sam,

complement versus compliment