• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Happy Dumpling Festival

jw5

Loyal
Happy Dumping! :biggrin:

Got 11 months can eat nonya, bak or kee chang, no need to wait until the one month where they raise the price to eat. :wink:

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This day is about a patriot who see a fucked up government but can't do shit and jump river.
Today he should start an Arab Spring.

Kohliantye

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Your thread brought back memories of the Dumpling Festival of yester-years....

I was then still a youngster - too young to join politics. What a waste.

The era when kids with torn shots and without underwear busied themselves catching "longkang fishes" or raiding the nests of mother hens that laid eggs in the tall lallang.

Oh those days, when we were doing all this and Lee Kuan Yew was busy sweeping roads during gotong-royong exercises so as to win over the hearts, soul and support of the masses who were aligned towards other political leaders.

The Dumplings brought much cheer to us for everyone made it and hung it infront of the homes in that familiar leaves. It came in the form of meaty ones and yellow ones. The former was tastier and had chestnuts in it, whereas the latter was partaken with sugar.

The luckiest one were the non-Chinese for the majority Chinese in the kampongs gave it to them as presents. These home (belonging to non-Muslims) had lots of these in the homes and we kids had a great time "walloping" the dumplings.

I still remember the dumplings were steamed in "empty kerosene or cooking oil" tins and meticulously packed in leaves.

Even the dogs had a great time for we took care of them too.

These Happy Days can never come back. No more gotong-royong these days. Those in power are enjoying their status.

A Happy Dumpling Festival to all Singaporeans.

The days when the policemen went around collecting bribes from illegal gambling-dens, brothels

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This day is about a patriot who see a fucked up government but can't do shit and jump river.

I never did find out why we are eating Dumplings, only knew, annually we have "tan yuan" , dumplings, moon cakes..

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

i bet half the ppl who eat bak jang today have no idea why today is eat bak jang day. then 50% of the half who know have no idea what the patriot name was. maybe only 10% know which era and which kingdom did this patriot die in.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I never did find out why we are eating Dumplings, only knew, annually we have "tan yuan" , dumplings, moon cakes..

Mooncake is another......they were used to pass secret messages to start a revolution.
We should all learn from this festivals and rise up against tyranny!

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i bet half the ppl who eat bak jang today have no idea why today is eat bak jang day. then 50% of the half who know have no idea what the patriot name was. maybe only 10% know which era and which kingdom did this patriot die in.

You can include me, I do not have the faintest idea, other than eat!

jw5

Loyal
Mooncake is another......they were used to pass secret messages to start a revolution.
We should all learn from this festivals and rise up against tyranny!

I recall Zhang Wuji telling his Ming sect members that they will use the cakes to hide secret messages, and since the moon was shining brightly where they were having their meeting, he decided to call them mooncakes.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I recall Zhang Wuji telling his Ming sect members that they will use the cakes to hide secret messages, and since the moon was shining brightly where they were having their meeting, he decided to call them mooncakes.

I thought that it was Chang Er who made them for her lover The Cowherd & they ate them with tea while they are serenading each other on the moon..that was why they were called "MOONCAKES"? no wonder Neil was disappointed he couldn't buy any to take home.

Back in my time, the "moon cakes " wrappers always show Chang Er with her basket & scattering flowers across the milky way with The Cowherd on his water buffalo..riding along..

Last edited:

jw5

Loyal
I thought that it was Chang Er who made them for her lover The Cowherd & they ate them with tea while they are serenading each other on the moon..that was why they were called "MOONCAKES"? no wonder Neil was disappointed he couldn't buy any to take home.

Back in my time, the "moon cakes " wrappers always show Chang Er with her basket & scattering flowers across the milky way with The Cowherd on his water buffalo..riding along..

I prefer the Heaven Sword and Dragon Sabre version. :p

Microsoft

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

So...de world first encrypted message are frm tiong? :biggrin::biggrin:

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

uncle, u totally mix up liao. chang er had nothing to do with cowherd, it shd be the weaver. the festival also wrong, it chinese valentine day. a big festival in taiwan, fall on the 7th day of the 7th month on the lunar calendar.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qixi_Festival

chang er companion at the moon is the rabbit and her lover is houyi the archer.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
uncle, u totally mix up liao. chang er had nothing to do with cowherd, it shd be the weaver. the festival also wrong, it chinese valentine day. a big festival in taiwan, fall on the 7th day of the 7th month on the lunar calendar.

chang er companion at the moon is the rabbit and her lover is houyi the archer.

I am sure it was Chang Er & the cowherd..or something like that, the moon cake boxes use to have her on the outside..& that cowherd..and during the moon cake festival, they used to have these nuts black in color shape like a water buffalo horn..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chang'e

The legends got crossed!! hmmm!?

Last edited:

lianbeng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

lianbeng agrees with u! let me put it in perspective: a scholar during the Song Dynasty was upset with his money-eating govt that he jumped into the lake. then people threw rice into the lake to feed the fishes so that they won't eat his body. the dragon boat thing came as an idea coz people actually rowed boats to feed those fishes! :biggrin: but alas! the govt remained money-eating, no change!

lianbeng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Me too. But its halal fm my Chinese relatives.:p

lianbeng knows of Malay Muslims actually eating bak chang but their halal version lah bao mutton instead of pork! :biggrin: all else same mah except they steam it Muslim way lor - all Muslim standards!

whoami

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
lianbeng knows of Malay Muslims actually eating bak chang but their halal version lah bao mutton instead of pork! :biggrin: all else same mah except they steam it Muslim way lor - all Muslim standards!

Yes. U r right.

Next... mooncake festival. :biggrin: