• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Ground may not be sweet for GE: SM Goh

BuiKia

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
BEIJING - Amid speculation that Parliament will be dissolved this week, paving the way for the much-awaited General Election, Senior Minister Goh Chok Tong admitted yesterday that the rising cost of living has meant that the ground "may not be sweet" for the ruling People's Action Party (PAP).

"I would not duck the issue because politics is about people's livelihood ... Rising cost is a very big issue facing not just Singapore but facing every other country," Mr Goh said in an interview with the Singapore media delegation at the end of his visit to China.

However, he added: "The ground may not be sweet but can you sweeten the ground by having more Opposition in Parliament? Can you solve the problem? So, you've got to come to grips, who would have the better solution to such problems?"

Mr Goh noted that the world is currently facing a period of uncertainty. "Just look at events in the Middle East, how will they pan out? We don't know yet. At the moment, the impact is not that large because the oil price has shot up but Saudi Arabia is pumping more oil into the market so the oil price is within a manageable limit."

He said that Singaporeans have not felt the effects of the oil price because "we have tightened our monetary policy".

The Senior Minister also defended the quality of the new PAP line-up, saying that the party had selected a range of Singaporeans who can serve the country's future better.

He noted that, in the past, the PAP had been accused of being elitist when it offered high-flyers as candidates.

"... In this slate of 24 candidates, we would have some people who will become office holders, then amongst them, some will become ministers, and hopefully among the new ministers will be a core team which can lead Singapore into the future.

"... Interestingly, this time we have a large number of people very familiar with grassroots activities, they have served for many years in the grassroots ... and they are fielded for that reason. "

Turning to the quality of the opposition candidates in the coming polls, Mr Goh said the better-qualified candidates could be a reflection of greater interest in politics.

He added that it is easy for some voters to be impressed with some opposition candidates because so few good opposition candidates were fielded in the past.

"The key is to assess the motivations of the people standing for elections. I am not casting any aspersions on them. I am not suggesting that they have bad motivations. What I am saying is that in the PAP, when we interview candidates, we always try and probe the candidates' motivations. It's very important. What are your motivations. Is it to advance your self-interest? Or are you there to serve the people? Are you prepared to make time and energy, and be available to serve the people?"

When asked whether the PAP's youngest candidate, Ms Tin Pei Ling, 27, will be an asset or liability to his team in the Marine Parade Group Representation Constituency, he said he will not know until the election results are out.

Mr Goh said she was recommended by two PAP Members of Parliament, and deemed suitable as a candidate.

"Of course unfortunately for her, YouTube, people have put it on, and then it's a complete distortion and of course some soundbites of her which pitted her as a rather light weight person. Well, that's a superficial view of her."

However, Mr Goh added: "... Is this election about Tin Pei Ling? No. This election is more than just Marine Parade GRC. It's about the future of Singapore."

cooleo

Alfrescian
Loyal
lhltiopwnd.jpg

saratogas

Alfrescian
Loyal
I receive a pamphlet this morning... 'Grow & Share' package reminding voters about the goodies we will be getting in May!

So much goodies still no confident?!

blahblah

Alfrescian
Loyal
I receive a pamphlet this morning... 'Grow & Share' package reminding voters about the goodies we will be getting in May!

Ya..it was also slotted into my weekend newspapers.

"..may not be sweet.."??
These people should really kneel down, bend their bodies and lick the ground to know that it is not sweet but bitter.

batman1

Alfrescian
Loyal
This farker wooden woodpecker have been spreading lies to sinkees.Next time if u see him,ask him "Where is our Swiss standard of living ? "

emperor270353

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Mr Goh, it is not ONLY "cost of living" that is upsetting SINGAPOREANS. I took the liberty to summarise them for you :
1. Cost of Living
2. Ministerial Salaries
3. Accountability - eg WKS ( Mas Selamat ), Vivian ( YOG ) etc etc
4. Influx of Foreigners
5. The right to DEMOCRACY

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

You mean it took you so long just to receive one pamphlet? it had been broadcast for so many days...in the newspaper, in today's you get one also...'RISING COSTS, How the government is helping you'...and nice looking graphics...wahh one houshold get $3,500...

But, they will never tell you, that they are one of the catalyst in rising costs, reduce that, we call can breathe a bit easy, that is the HARD TRUTH.

What was that saying again " there is no truth in advertising'...so buy from the 'famous chilli craps stall' at your own peril! YOUR CHOICE!

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

You mean it took you so long just to receive one pamphlet? it had been broadcast for so many days...in the newspaper, in today's you get one also...'RISING COSTS, How the government is helping you'...and nice looking graphics...wahh one houshold get $3,500...

But, they will never tell you, that they are one of the catalyst in rising costs, reduce that, we call can breathe a bit easy, that is the HARD TRUTH.

What was that saying again " there is no truth in advertising'...so buy from the 'famous chilli craps stall' at your own peril! YOUR CHOICE!