• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Going down Food Memory Lane, Old Restaurants/Coffehouses of yesteryear

pfingo

Alfrescian
Loyal
wat the history of ya kun? heard the old man didnt want to franchise his business? son's idea...and now toast box is IPO and ya kun is still serving sock kopi?

lolabunny

Alfrescian
Loyal
Had to install my own AC when importers started bringing in after market car products. Bought whole set of electrical window winder from a car accessory exhibition and installed myself. Not too professional job but most important, it worked. Car radio with cassette tape player was added at a car audio accessory store, paid for from my own pocket. The aerial was those telescopic type with a motor in the trunk.

Never liked Datsuns (now Nissan). Have never bought one. Don't know why. I am the saloon model kind of guy (square, huh?) so that rules out Toyota Celica which many called it "Silly Car", those days. :smile:

Yes, remembered the service providers to beat ALS, but never made use of them.

What does SQUARE mean? :p:wink:

chinkandoo

Alfrescian
Loyal
I remember old stinky Burger King at the basement of Pennisular Plaza..you were allowed to smoke and the place was always hazy ...can't imagine that now..:o

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I remember old stinky Burger King at the basement of Pennisular Plaza..you were allowed to smoke and the place was always hazy ...can't imagine that now..:o

You referring to the branch that finally closed a year or two ago? Now there's some sort of burmese restaurant there. The whole basement is occupied by ethnic restaurants, Indian & burmess.

Peninisula Plaza is being taken over by the Burmese :eek:

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yea, I was there about 2 mths ago. Burmese territory now, but anyway, Peninsula Plaza never had anything memorable except the camera shops and a grand KTV lounge there (where that Mamasan got shot but lived!). I think it's gone now.

You referring to the branch that finally closed a year or two ago? Now there's some sort of burmese restaurant there. The whole basement is occupied by ethnic restaurants, Indian & burmess.

Peninisula Plaza is being taken over by the Burmese :eek:

QXD

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Cairnhill Steakhouse along Emerald Hill road, in the days when you could drive into Orchard road via Cairnhill Road. Back then the place was considered upmarket for a clerk like me starting out at $150 a month....

wahlaneh

Alfrescian
Loyal
wahlaneh...
that good old sarabak stall just beside Cathay Building gone liao.
used to have my teh tarik n kalipok fix there leh.

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
http://www.hungrygowhere.com/singapore/hillman_restaurant/

An old favourite
May 22, 2009
Manhill n Hillman r juz both great old names tat served wonderful food for decades.. these restos have customers tat's been frequenting these outlets since young.. from kid to adult .. from black hair to grey hair.. from grandkids to grandparents...u get e pic la..

I've a review on e manhill outlet which my family has been frequenting for ages.. However i tot having another review on e kitchener road branch is needed in case ppl miss out on e manhill's reviews so here goes!

From cantonment road to albert park to now kitchener road.. over e years we would have sampled quite a formidable amount of dishes..however we can't realy kick e old habit of ordering e usual faves n thus not leaving much room for new dishes..anyhow i would juz review e fave n famed dishes!

Claypot Beef - OMG!! e sauce is deliciousssssssssssss!!! my dad n bro can gobble up like 3 bowls of rice juz based on e sauce! served piping hot with tender beef tendons n beef pieces with some greens n garlics n small onions.. e beef pieces r absolutely tender n tasty.. n e sauce is OMG so bursting in flavours n wonderfully infused with e flavours of e beef n onions n garlics tat it's soooo yum yum tat u juz wana drink it up! honestly! mix it with rice = heavenlyyyy

Claypot Chicken - another great dish esp for those who do not take beef.. u can't go wrong with any claypot dishes at hillman so this is a yummy dish as well.. tender chicken n e sauce is slightly thicker than e beef claypot but still goes fantastically with rice as well! i do slightly prefer e beef claypot but if u r as undecided as we r.. order both!

The seafood claypot (top of e claypot list)- is not as outstanding as e claypot beef or chicken but it's still good! it's choked full of ingredients such as prawns n squid n fish n mushroom n veggies etc.. The ingredients r nothing memorable but e gravy is a yum! It's slightly more watery and hence makes a great soup subsitute! My mum lurvvves it although e guys aint...

Apple Soup - okie this is a muz order dish! if it's in e house tat is! e soup is surprisingly light yet tasty with a very yummy aftertaste of every sip.. not too sure wat else's in e soup except apples but it's good! i likey!

Sharks Fin - At appx $25/portion of shark fins.. u can either have it as sharks fins soup or e shark fins omelette.. it's quite a steal actually for e shark fins soup as it comes in a big bowl and can easily serves up to 4 pax.. e shark fins soup is juz a good old bowl of shark fins soup.. nothing fancy yet not sub-standard.. good! e shark fins omelette is quite popular with e japs although i dun really see e attraction.. e fins r stir fried with eggs n u r supposed to wrap it up with lettuce.. to me e eggs r good but u can't really taste e fins so doing it e egg way seems a tad ex for me..

Paper wrapped chicken - this is a yum!! i dun normally take paper wrapped chicken coz so "ma fan" to unwap but this is good! No doubt it's a hassle to unwrap e piping hot chicken n no doubt it's oiiilyy... but it's really tender n moist n kinda Q! very well-seasoned n very flavourful...comes with some pepper salt which i tot is quite unnecessary coz e chicken is already quite good on it's own!

Sliced fish with kailan - this really depends on e freshness of e fish n e skills of e chef.. however if it's done well it's delicious! it's a hit n miss at times for us.. sometimes it's cooked wonderfully sometimes we gona send it back to e kitchen so erm.. up to u!

Pai Ku Wang or Pork Ribs - nicely marinated n deep fried with still some sauce on each piece is quite a thoughtful dish...kinda crispy on e edges n moist n tender inside.. great dish for e youngsters!

Yang Zhou fried rice - as usual this dish really depends on e chef of e day.. if not well done it's juz fried rice lor... if it's well done full of wok hei then it's yum! we had ordered this a couple of times n although there's wok hei.. it didn't really wow me.. it's not bad but not great.. perhaps next time if we r lucky!

Overall manhill or hillman.. is a good old restaurant tat served up good old food for e good old customers... nothing fancy yet nothing lousy.. restaurant is a 2 storey nothing fancy restaurant that's very nostalgic for families..

However e japs has a very strong presence here n it still remains a mystery as to why e japs simply lurrvee this place!

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
http://www.hungrygowhere.com/singapore/capital_restaurant/

Go for Shanghai's Hairy Crab !
Nov 16, 2008
When it comes to hairy crab season (between September and December when the crab matures), Capitol Restaurant 首都酒家 is one of the names to remember. They are one of the more established importers of this crab delicacy in Singapore. The ones that we ate comes from Tai Lake 太湖 in Shanghai. Please make a reservation during the hairy crab season. While I was there last night, the place was full.

The famous origin of this crab is Yang Cheng Lake 阳澄湖 in Shanghai but there's too many suppliers now that claimed the original Yang Cheng Lake ones that you wouldn't know exact origins of these crabs. The Hairy Crab 上海大闸蟹 is not your typical crab to go for the meat. It is small and hence it has little meaty portions. The roe and the inards are what people go for.

There's no corkage charge ........... so you can bring your favourite white wine to go with the crab.

The tools provided to disect and savour this delicacy. A scissors, a tea spoon and a picker/poker ................

How to eat hairy crabs :

The following is how we ate the crab following a little directions from one of our "expert" hairy crab gourmet.

1) Cut all the legs and pincers off the crab with the scissors. Leave it aside so that you come to it later.
2) Keep the crab on its back, gently lift and separate the body of the crab from the carapace (back shell).
3) Add some malt vinegar with the teaspoon onto the inards and roe and start scraping them out of the crab and eat them. You can stop here if you really want to eat what's best of the hairy crab, its roe and inards. To make your money worth continue.
4) Break the crab's body right down the middle using both hands. Scrape the gills away.
5) Bite and chew to get the meat out and spit out the shells and cartilage. This is the more efficient way of eating these crabs although it can be quite rude to some non Chinese. Else, you can try cracking every shell and picking every piece of meat with the picker/poker that is provided. Thank god if you manage of finish one crab before the restaurant closes on you.
6) For the pincers and legs, cut the legs into their sections. Use the picker/poker, poke through one open end of the section and allow the meat to come out from the other open end.

The vinegar that Capitol provided is good stuff for the crabs.

For photos and more details, see:
http://4-the-love-of-food.blogspot.com/2008/11/capitol-restaurant-for-shanghais-hairy.html (Hide)

cheongster123

Alfrescian
Loyal
what's the name of this hainanese chicken rice specialty coffeeshop, anyone knows?
just beside raffles hotel, there used to be this old school hainanese chicken rice coffeeshop. absolutely delicious authentic hainanese chicken rice. served delicious runny egg & kaya on toast breakfast as well and delicious thick kopi. the eggs were really fresh.
along beach road, close to bras basah complex, just beside raffles hotel. sadly, they closed business years ago, around 2003 or 2004? straits times reported the family was migrating to Perth.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's either Chew Kee or Swee Kee. There's also Yik Con. But tht's long ago.,

If ur into something more recent, and because u mentioned kaya toast etc. there's the Killiney rd kopitiam in Seah St/Liang SEAH St(??) that is next door to raffles hotel. They also have local favs but I dunno if the chicken rice is what u want there.

what's the name of this hainanese chicken rice specialty coffeeshop, anyone knows?
just beside raffles hotel, there used to be this old school hainanese chicken rice coffeeshop. absolutely delicious authentic hainanese chicken rice. served delicious runny egg & kaya on toast breakfast as well and delicious thick kopi. the eggs were really fresh.
along beach road, close to bras basah complex, just beside raffles hotel. sadly, they closed business years ago, around 2003 or 2004? straits times reported the family was migrating to Perth.

Last edited:

genetics

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bali Hut at sea-view hotel.

Ponderosa at Raffles City, Marina-Square, and Tampines Mall.

Chico-Charlie (Mexican resturant) next to Wheelock building.

Potong-Curry at (today) Rendelvous hotel.

Orange-Julius at Cathay cinema.

Chendol stall outside Hollywood cinema (today, it is ShengSong) Tanjong Katong.

Bak-Chor-Mee stall at South-Bridge-Road (open air) pasak malam outside TongJi hospital.

Hai-nan Mutton soup at (today) Parliament house.

myo539

Alfrescian
Loyal
Are you an AH SIAH KIAH because ordinary folk don't have money to splurge on these Copper Kettle faggot places. Lido was crawling with fat post-colonial angmos

Yes, Ah Siah Kiahs are the lucky ones who sometimes make the most noise complaining about this and that. They like to frequent places Ang Moh gathered to rub shoulders.

Many of us lived in a kampong and could only remember the real hawker - the one who actually walk and sell their goods - who carried his two earthen urns on his shoulders and dispensing laksa by the roadside. A bowl of laksa was cheap but good enough for their 4th world stomach.

There was also the Ah Neh who came with his goat (nanny) and a kid and dispensed fresh goat milk direct from the goat tits. Very expensive then but it was medicinal for their 4th world stomach when they were sick.

Of course how could they forget the roti men who stored his roti in a box behind his bicycle. They could only befriend him and ask for his blackened bread crust. Those which they could eat, they ate, but those too black to be eaten they gave to the ducks.

Life was tough for them. Had it not been for the PAP they would still be living in the 3rd World country. Lee Kuan Yew was their hero, their savior - otherwise they could easily join the leftist movement and become a communist.

Present day Ah Siah Kiahs now frequent Clark Quay and Muhamad Sultan Road, and Starbuck to have their beer and coffee - and watch World Cup. They still think that it's good for their ego to rub shoulders with angmohs.

But former 4th World dwellers are contented frequenting hawker centres and kopitiam for their daily meal - and watch World Cup. They are now called the "heartlanders" - the foundation of the PAP support. Ah Siah Kiahs still remain in the minority; we sometimes call them the "White Horses".

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Life was tough for them. Had it not been for the PAP they would still be living in the 3rd World country. Lee Kuan Yew was their hero, their savior - otherwise they could easily join the leftist movement and become a communist.

These were simple folk, so easily conned by LKY :rolleyes:

If one takes a look at our neighbours, none have turned communist, even the PRC chinese have turned away from communism & are welcom in Spore with open arms.

Take for example Malaysia which has their rich & poor. It is debatable whether a poor Sporean is better off than a poor Malaysia. When you factor in the CPF "deductions"many Sporeans are no better off and some may argue are worse off because of the PAP introduced inflation.

A good indication of reality is that many are leaving Spore. Including those who choose suicide :eek:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
wahlaneh...
that good old sarabak stall just beside Cathay Building gone liao.
used to have my teh tarik n kalipok fix there leh.

Don't rememberr any sarabat stalls next to Cathay. Only remember the carpark on one side & on the other side some home massage, acquarium, Tat chuan Hi Fi Store, Latter the corner home massage was replaced by an A&W.

I do remember that opposite the road from Cathay, beside the longkang were some stalls. :smile:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yea, I was there about 2 mths ago. Burmese territory now, but anyway, Peninsula Plaza never had anything memorable except the camera shops and a grand KTV lounge there (where that Mamasan got shot but lived!). I think it's gone now.

I sometimes visit there when I'm visiting Funan. There are some interesting stores mostly catering to the young which I was once :smile: It's a page from old Spore when malls were not dominated by chain stores.

Didn't know that mamasan Mona was working in that building:eek:
I 've noticed that big KTV on the 3rd/4th floor is gone. Maybe they are one of the KTVs which is now on the other side of Peninsula, the entrance is on the Hill Street side. If you sit & drink at the food stalls next to the entrance you'll notice the many girls going to work:biggrin:

wahlaneh

Alfrescian
Loyal
Don't rememberr any sarabat stalls next to Cathay. Only remember the carpark on one side & on the other side some home massage, acquarium, Tat chuan Hi Fi Store, Latter the corner home massage was replaced by an A&W.

I do remember that opposite the road from Cathay, beside the longkang were some stalls. :smile:

wahlaneh...
the wantan mee stall there excellent man.
excellent charsiew n wantan.:biggrin: