• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Going down Food Memory Lane, Old Restaurants/Coffehouses of yesteryear

snrcitizen

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes I think so.

Talking about Shang, I use to really like their old coffee house, bread and butter pudding with pistacchio ice cream was my fav. Now not quite sure about The Line though, also I think the dim sum at Shang Palace has gone downhill even though the prices are even more expensive then before.:(

I was introduced to pistachio ice cream at an eatery called "Sorrento" along Orchard Road. You are right, Shang Palace food quality has gone downhill is now over rated.

snrcitizen

Alfrescian
Loyal
Strange that people don't remember Batik Inn, which was located behind cozy corner?

They operated at night, each table had a white table cloth & servettes, oil lamps at each table & the chicken satay was very unique. Really miss the satay & nasi goreng. :(

Yes, remember Batik Inn. However, its location (side of old CK Tangs) was not exactly visible to many along Orchard Road. There was a live band there in the evenings for people to dance in the open.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sorry to digress wee bit. Our regular hangout in was Oberoi Imperial's lounge/bar with good local bred acoustic band -making up of Tony, Terry & Spencer. Their unplugged version of rock ballads was no horse run. They cut an album, but kena piracy then. Spencer's a trained (classical?) guitarist and had interesting hobby -cooking.

Before that era was Hilton bar, another local acoustic band (memory fading liao). Money was tight, so we held out to our single beers all night. If thirsty, coined "pipesi cola" from running tap in gents. Our dates had better fate.
...Paik Choo now covers political beat in a freelance manner for SPH. She covered Reform Party and last PAP Cadre Meeting.
Can't imagine the singlish slant.. "eh goondu" (she's credited with singlish prose from early days):p Just couldn't resist taking a dig

Last edited:

HakkaThaileen

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, remember Batik Inn. However, its location (side of old CK Tangs) was not exactly visible to many along Orchard Road. There was a live band there in the evenings for people to dance in the open.

Yes. Not many people could still remember Batik Inn.

It was operating from an old fashion bungalow house behind C K Tang with a small compound in front being used as car park (free of charge for parking).

You could have a full set lunch at a cost of $3.50 to $4 plus a free parking in the heart of Orchard Road.

That was in mid 70s.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes. Not many people could still remember Batik Inn.

That was in mid 70s.

Only remember going there to eat the satay which was 25 cents each, this was when the Satay Club was charging 10 cents. Their satay was very unique.

If anone knows where I can the get the same type of satay please share :smile:

middaydog

Alfrescian
Loyal
just came in, didn't read thru all the post here
so far anybody mentioned " Gold Leaf " a Taiwanese porridge restaurant along Orchard rd opposite the present day Merridian hotel?
not sure whether it became Oasis after the move

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
well imagine the handcuffs are for S&M, and knife is for chronic fruit peeling (due to fruit addiction & also eating more fruits are healthy but you don't really want to eat the icky skin of a mango do you?), the "drugs" are actually vitamin pills due to health concious, and the condoms are practices for safe sex.

it actually makes for a pretty good gf. and it shows how paranoid the guy can be. :wink::smile:

lastly, eating shit is not very good. don't know which jap shows keep showing weird fetishes like eating schoolgirl poo. did you watch too much of that hence the nickname? :p:wink::smile::cool:

it's wise to figure out the remaining balance of condoms in a pack of a dozen to know how many guys she has fucked before. never, never trust a woman with packs of condoms in her handbag. it has nothing to do with paranoia; it has more to do with her sexual activity and her eagerness to go to bed with any man. chances of contracting std is high, despite the use of condoms.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
..so far anybody mentioned " Gold Leaf " a Taiwanese porridge restaurant along Orchard rd opposite the present day Merridian hotel? not sure whether it became Oasis after the move
Few msian waitresses (this was before PRC revolution) working in Gold Leaf stayed next to my apartment. Got social interaction, but some stories are best kept secret (to protect identities?):p:wink:

Zeitgeist

Alfrescian
Loyal
just came in, didn't read thru all the post here
so far anybody mentioned " Gold Leaf " a Taiwanese porridge restaurant along Orchard rd opposite the present day Merridian hotel?
not sure whether it became Oasis after the move

Goldleaf Taiwan Restaurant used to be situated at the corner of Penang Lane x Orchard Rd and was the pioneer in offering Taiwanese style porridge and dishes. It started out in the 70's and was a highly successful business. The late Singapore yodelling king Su Yun was one of the directors. The company was also the pioneer in 'clean' heath club business with Goldleaf De Sauna in Parklane shopping mall where they offered both Shiatsu massage as well as 'rub back'. It had since ceased operations.

With the demolition of the building to make way for the MRT, the restaurant moved to Centrepoint and finally to 66,Tanjong Pagar Rd. It closed down a few years back. Many restaurants apparently had jumped in on the popularity of the Goldleaf name by variations of other "leaf" as I had observed.:smile:

Last edited:

lolabunny

Alfrescian
Loyal
it's wise to figure out the remaining balance of condoms in a pack of a dozen to know how many guys she has fucked before. never, never trust a woman with packs of condoms in her handbag. it has nothing to do with paranoia; it has more to do with her sexual activity and her eagerness to go to bed with any man. chances of contracting std is high, despite the use of condoms.

You are right about that. I once saw a mamasan looking woman ahead of me in the supermarket queue buying PACKS of condoms. People were giving her sideways glances, being the staid NTUC, and she didn't care.

As for the remaining balance thing, a friend once told me that it is good to give nasty intruders like an ex a good surprise once in a while. Serves him right for trying to steal undies and being a prick all these years. I'm sure
it will give the bastard something to think about in months to come. :p:p:smile:

Guys, take note of the advice Midday Dog has for you -- don't blame anyone but yourself for contracting STD when you cheong too much. :smile::wink:

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
it's now the same premises leased to AH YAT ABALONE which is also their "headquarter" in SINGAPORE SHOPPING CENTRE.

HAPPY VALLEY was once the haunting place for bookies - leegal and illeegal - to gather and celebrate their winnings. it was a slaughter house to the diners. the meals cost hundreds and even thousands.

when the gabramen clamped down on all the illeegal bookies, in a way, it snuffled out the biz of HAPPY VALLEYs along with many nightclubs.:o

Zeitgeist

Alfrescian
Loyal
Guys, take note of the advice Midday Dog has for you -- don't blame anyone but yourself for contracting STD when you cheong too much.

My advice to all bachelor guys is to do it all and sundry and before you commit yourself to getting married, get a full check up, bloodtest and all. With a clean report, resolve never to venture into the seedy sex pits again ever!

To the gals, married a guy ten years older or more who had been there, done that and taken up my wisdom as the foundation for a happy marriage:p you'll be alright!:biggrin:

lolabunny

Alfrescian
Loyal
My advice to all bachelor guys is to do it all and sundry and before you commit yourself to getting married, get a full check up, bloodtest and all. With a clean report, resolve never to venture into the seedy sex pits again ever!

To the gals, married a guy ten years older or more who had been there, done that and taken up my wisdom as the foundation for a happy marriage:p you'll be alright!:biggrin:

Aiyoh, so many women married guys ten years older or more who has been there, done that and is still not happy. Your view is so simplistic.

Look at Gong Li's hubby. He was married, and been there, done that, in the end, after marriage, "still going here doing that". :wink::p

Cheongsters will always be cheongsters at heart. You think a guy who has divorced before for example is better because he has been there done that?

Some guys are serial monogamists, with cheating on the side. :smile: And they will never change.

My bastard ex is one fine example of that. He's a sex addict who loves chasing women for the thrill of it and no, he will never ever change. He will always look for younger, prettier, uglier, older, what he wants is variety. :smile:
I suppose that's what many want, given how popular SBF is.

Of course, the guy who has never played before (ie: never been there done that) has not been tested, so may go astray after marriage. That's what you are trying to say right? :smile:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Goldleaf Taiwan Restaurant used to be situated at the corner of Penang Lane x Orchard Rd and)

Anyone remember Shanghai restaurant??(can't remember the name) It was at Clemenceau, just next to Redifusion. It served tradition Chinese meals. Remember eating there in the 60's :smile:

guavatree

Alfrescian
Loyal
it's now the same premises leased to AH YAT ABALONE which is also their "headquarter" in SINGAPORE SHOPPING CENTRE.

cheebai you tried to con laukwayboos but you end up only got some free makan!

you eat 4 to 5 persons amount when you go makan with frenz

you did not pay for makan and even said that the makan is fuckup!

you're a most despicable moron most vile and cunning monster!