• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

General Help

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Which gps should I buy?

I meant I bought it without research but took a plunge of faith because it is sinkie and also cheap.
mayb iz not sinkie product, mayb taiwanese ... try google ...

sgtsk

Alfrescian
Loyal

mayb iz not sinkie product, mayb taiwanese ... try google ...

It could be taiwanese as well. The sale staff told me it was a Singapore brand. Anyway, as long as it works satisfactorily, it would be acceptable to me. I try to support Asian brands.

captainjones

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hi Crystal...u got the update from Garmin officially? focu need to pay for it?

As for me, I brought Garmin 4yrs back in US with US maps only...for msia/s'pore map, i took from my friend who downloaded foc through some usergroup website...thus in terms of latest local location, i cannot expect much as i do not pay anything...

cheers...Quartz

I am using Garmin with Malsingmaps. The latest map can be downloaded from http://www.malsingmaps.com/portal/downloads.php. Version 5.50 onwards includes Coastal Highway in Iskandar.

sgtsk

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hi guys,

Would like to seek your comments on Garmin Nuvi GPS 1350. Is it good?

And if it's not, any other model or brands to recommend?

Thanks.
LS

I bought Marbella about a month ago. Have been using it several times in Singapore mainly for testing and familiarizing with the device. I find it reasonably useful as far as Singapore is concerned. It is TMC enabled in Singapore. Just my experience with Marbella so far. I must say that I however have no experience using other brands. One should be able to get a a Marbella for under 200sgd.

GorengPisang

Alfrescian
Loyal
This thread is both helpful...and amusing :biggrin: See quite a few discussing abt Rm60k+ local cars....well most msian dont even want to touch proton cos they're sick of locally made cars, middle class locals prob have their parents pay d/pmt for them n get a vios, honda city, kia, hyundai etc.....the poorer ones (esp fresh grad) starting out on their 1st job will almost definitely go for myvi...and the really really poor ones (yes very likely poor fresh grads as well) tends to stick to their trusty kancil that they have been driving in uni/college. And so....2nd hand protons (1-2 yrs old) is actually the best bet & bargain, esp if its just your ka-ta jb drive around car)

If one is on a budget, whether by choice or circumstances, then even more reason you shdnt be looking at new cars, brand new Peroduas (Myvi/Alza) is not cheap by RM standard. At RM60k+ u can actually get a 2-3 yr old Honda City.

In summary, my RM 2 cents recommendations are:

1)If you totally dont have budget for a car but still want to have 4 wheels to go to the market or mamak for supper in JB

*7-8 yr old 2nd hand kancil 660/800cc RM6-8k (SGD 2.5-3k)
*8-10 yr old Proton Wira 1.5/1.6 RM8-10k (SGD 3.5-4k)

2) If u have some spare cash but yet do not want to feel the pinch of having a car in JB;

*3-4 yr old Proton Waja 1.6 RM25-35k Consumption generally higher then Toyota/Honda/Myvi but powerful (most KLIA/LCCT limos are Waja), maintenance ok as parts are everywhere
*3-4 yr Proton Persona 1.6 RM 32-36k Bigger, newer than Waja, 4-door (imagine Nissan Sunny range), better consumption than Waja, less power, maintenance again idiot proof, any tom dicky harry workshop can service/repair with eyes closed
* 3-4 yr old Proton Satria Neo 1.3/1.6 RM28-35k (3 door hatchback, Mitsubishi Colt base) My fav if you dont have 2 kids, granny and whole family to ferry around.

3) If u want to reap full benefit of SGD - RM, and not having to pay COE, and if u have more spare moolah;

* 1-2 yr old Honda City 1.5A RM68-75k (or Vios/Altis etc)
* 5-6 yr old Nissa X-trail 2.0 RM50-60k
* 6-7 yr old Merc C180/200 RM100-120k (previous gen c class, still a looker, comfy, reliable)
* Of course not forgetting all the 4WD like Mitsubishi Triton, Toyota Hilux etc ard RM60-100k

4) If you really wana go over the top, and have plenty of RM notes under your bed;

* Recond (refurbished) 5-6 yr old Porsche Cayman RM200-300k
* Used Nissan 350Z RM130-160k

Well hope that'll help, disclaimer price quoted are very bare estimates, u might get even cheaper deals..or kena carrot headed paying more...and i personally feel that used car is the way to go in JB, as for new cars, esp local cars, whether Proton or Myvi, 1st few year depreciation is great + hire purchase interest is high.

captainjones

Alfrescian
Loyal
This thread is both helpful...and amusing :biggrin: See quite a few discussing abt Rm60k+ local cars....well most msian dont even want to touch proton cos they're sick of locally made cars, middle class locals prob have their parents pay d/pmt for them n get a vios, honda city, kia, hyundai etc.....the poorer ones (esp fresh grad) starting out on their 1st job will almost definitely go for myvi...and the really really poor ones (yes very likely poor fresh grads as well) tends to stick to their trusty kancil that they have been driving in uni/college. And so....2nd hand protons (1-2 yrs old) is actually the best bet & bargain, esp if its just your ka-ta jb drive around car)

If one is on a budget, whether by choice or circumstances, then even more reason you shdnt be looking at new cars, brand new Peroduas (Myvi/Alza) is not cheap by RM standard. At RM60k+ u can actually get a 2-3 yr old Honda City.

In summary, my RM 2 cents recommendations are:

1)If you totally dont have budget for a car but still want to have 4 wheels to go to the market or mamak for supper in JB

*7-8 yr old 2nd hand kancil 660/800cc RM6-8k (SGD 2.5-3k)
*8-10 yr old Proton Wira 1.5/1.6 RM8-10k (SGD 3.5-4k)

2) If u have some spare cash but yet do not want to feel the pinch of having a car in JB;

*3-4 yr old Proton Waja 1.6 RM25-35k Consumption generally higher then Toyota/Honda/Myvi but powerful (most KLIA/LCCT limos are Waja), maintenance ok as parts are everywhere
*3-4 yr Proton Persona 1.6 RM 32-36k Bigger, newer than Waja, 4-door (imagine Nissan Sunny range), better consumption than Waja, less power, maintenance again idiot proof, any tom dicky harry workshop can service/repair with eyes closed
* 3-4 yr old Proton Satria Neo 1.3/1.6 RM28-35k (3 door hatchback, Mitsubishi Colt base) My fav if you dont have 2 kids, granny and whole family to ferry around.

3) If u want to reap full benefit of SGD - RM, and not having to pay COE, and if u have more spare moolah;

* 1-2 yr old Honda City 1.5A RM68-75k (or Vios/Altis etc)
* 5-6 yr old Nissa X-trail 2.0 RM50-60k
* 6-7 yr old Merc C180/200 RM100-120k (previous gen c class, still a looker, comfy, reliable)
* Of course not forgetting all the 4WD like Mitsubishi Triton, Toyota Hilux etc ard RM60-100k

4) If you really wana go over the top, and have plenty of RM notes under your bed;

* Recond (refurbished) 5-6 yr old Porsche Cayman RM200-300k
* Used Nissan 350Z RM130-160k

Well hope that'll help, disclaimer price quoted are very bare estimates, u might get even cheaper deals..or kena carrot headed paying more...and i personally feel that used car is the way to go in JB, as for new cars, esp local cars, whether Proton or Myvi, 1st few year depreciation is great + hire purchase interest is high.

Hi bro, what about 7 seaters? What would you recommend? Thanks for the info!

GorengPisang

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hm...im personally no fan of 7-seater...so didnt look too much into those....also just in case any1 wondering, im no car dealer as well hehe....like what wuqi said, Perodua Alza is alright, but im not sure if its a 7-seater....our common Honda Stream is not cheap in m'sia, rem correctly smwhere ard RM130-150k 2nd hand! Of course the 1 mpv i wont mind driving are the yummy Vellfire & Alphard! So spacious i tink its better than living in shoebox apartment haha.

Sg_JB

Alfrescian
Loyal
Shopping for Babies's Stuffs in JB

Dear Wuqi and all who can contribute,

Would much appreciate if there could be some sharing on places or shops where we can get good quality products for babies. I know imported milk powder cost less in JB than Singapore and so are the napkins. Other than the hypermarkets in Bukit Indah, are there shops specially catering to babies' needs that members go for shopping? Cause, my brother-in-law's wife is expecting, but I know nothing on this topic, ...hence need some info when they come shopping. Thanks in advance.

crystal_tiong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Shopping for Babies's Stuffs in JB

Hi , for milk powders u can check e shop near the s11 coffeeshop bk indah, s11 is e first shop , this shop will b located at e end ... Its sells all brands of milk n diapers. Its cheaper when e hypermarket is not hving promotion. Another one u can check e medical shop beside ambank ...

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal

Dear Wuqi and all who can contribute,

Would much appreciate if there could be some sharing on places or shops where we can get good quality products for babies. I know imported milk powder cost less in JB than Singapore and so are the napkins. Other than the hypermarkets in Bukit Indah, are there shops specially catering to babies' needs that members go for shopping? Cause, my brother-in-law's wife is expecting, but I know nothing on this topic, ...hence need some info when they come shopping. Thanks in advance.

Nappies = Tesco, general stuff normally Mydin. Specialized and higher end stuff, there is a Malay village restaurant along Nusa Bestari where Red Island is. Lots of things to buy there including more higher end stuff, even playground. Else for normal items like baby bottles, there is already one next to the Platinum bistro (Eurorich hotel) There is also one near the Tea Garden located at the shops outside Sutera Mall around Sutera area.

dragonlance

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ahh... This I can definitely contribute my experience... When we found out that we were expecting, we went around bukit indah/Nusa bestari area shopping for baby things. Found this shop called Baby World, a family run business one of the first *baby shops to be opened in the Nusa bestari area back in the days. I found the owners to be honest ppl and really knows their stuff. They have this pre planning kit for first time parents where it is a checklist that gives to be parents a guide to what they need to prepare for the arrival of their babies. This was really helpful to us as we know next to nothing as we were first time parents. Also, found that their baby cot plus mattress combo to be the most value for money around comparing the quality and the absolute amount spent. They also sell various brands of milk powder and nappies. I highly recommend to check out this shop although it does not look too fancy and there are bigger baby shops around, i always feel that they *cover the basics really well and i don't feel being fleeced when i shop there. It is one of the main road facing shops, next to an electrical appliance shop, same row as the Perodua showroom.*

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Advice Needed For Cameron Highlands/KL

Hi all, planning a short 4D/3N getaway to Cameron Highlands and KL. Need some advice on accommodation. My primary concern is hotel. I am very fussy when it comes to cleanliness of the room and comfort of the bed. Second concern is accessibility as I do not drive.

1. I did a lot of reading up and decided to settle on Strawberry Park Resort. Anyone stayed there before?

2. I need recommendation on a good boutique hotel that is near to Petaling Street in KL. Again, I need some recommendation.

Thank you in advance :smile:

DREAMorACTION

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ok. Some of these websites publish their prices online. U can check be4 going. Happy shopping.