• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

FT "Singapore Cyclist" posts 100 videos of car drivers who pissed him off on Sg roads

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Re: FT "Singapore Cyclist" posts 100 videos of car drivers who pissed him off on Sg r

These ang moh cyclists and all foreigners living in sinkie land think the island is still their colony and they can do what they like; they are aggressive, arrogant and belligerent.

What can the locals do? Just vote for an oppo party to change the situation.

No they aren't. They're standing up for their rights which is something Singaporeans still have not learned how to do. Singaporeans tend to hold their tongues and then vent their spleens on Stomp from the safety of their homes or offices.

As Singaporeans progress in their development, they'll start behaving more assertively too. At the moment they are still rather backward on the evolutionary scale.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: FT "Singapore Cyclist" posts 100 videos of car drivers who pissed him off on Sg r

Ang Mohs cyclists in Singapore get pissed off with sinkie drivers because a lot of them come from countries where motorists are also cyclists and the motorists understand why cyclists ride the way they do and give due consideration. They don't realise that Singaporean drivers are 3rd world creatures living in a 1st world environment.

i keep seeing in this forum about members here extolling the how excellent and courteous angmo drivers are but from what i observed from singapore roads, 99% of the angmo drivers are arseholes. many a times i encounter angmo driving on the extreme right lanes swerved across all the lanes without signalling to make the exit on the left, drove out onto the main road without even stopping to observes whether the road was clear. the worse are those angmo women driving korean suv with a bunch of monkeys at the back, driving dangerously forward while head turn backward to control her brood of monkeys.:oIo: Comparing these scumbag angmos, even the hated taxi drivers begin to look like angels on road.:rolleyes:

Leongsam

Admin
Asset

i keep seeing in this forum about members here extolling the how excellent and courteous angmo drivers are but from what i observed from singapore roads, 99% of the angmo drivers are arseholes. many a times i encounter angmo driving on the extreme right lanes swerved across all the lanes without signalling to make the exit on the left, drove out onto the main road without even stopping to observes whether the road was clear. the worse are those angmo women driving korean suv with a bunch of monkeys at the back, driving dangerously forward while head turn backward to control her brood of monkeys.:oIo: Comparing these scumbag angmos, even the hated taxi drivers begin to look like angels on road.:rolleyes:

If they drove the way they did in their homelands, they would not get anywhere.

In fact I once told an Ang Moh that if he wanted to change lanes in Singapore to NOT put out his indicator. In Ang Moh land, if you indicate a lane change, the traffic will slow down and let you in. In Singapore, cars will speed up to to prevent you from doing so.

The exception of course are those Ang Mohs from Latino countries who are not real "Ang Mohs".

The Ang Mohs you've witnessed are obviously those who are very experienced dealing with bloody sinkie drivers or they're from Brazil.

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal

what the fark post my car for what?
its not a crime to drive in my own lane paid fr my tax.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

If they drove the way they did in their homelands, they would not get anywhere.

In fact I once told an Ang Moh that if he wanted to change lanes in Singapore to NOT put out his indicator. In Ang Moh land, if you indicate a lane change, the traffic will slow down and let you in. In Singapore, cars will speed up to to prevent you from doing so.

The exception of course are those Ang Mohs from Latino countries who are not real "Ang Mohs".

The Ang Mohs you've witnessed are obviously those who are very experienced dealing with bloody sinkie drivers or they're from Brazil.

mak tau pau sian lah. youtube has plenty of angmo doing dangerous driving.

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal

As i said before, cyclists are poor people hogging the roads from other road users. Pay them no heed.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset

As i said before, cyclists are poor people hogging the roads from other road users. Pay them no heed.

The roads were actually built for cyclists. From the early to mid 20th Century, the cars took over through sheer force of numbers. Cyclists are now slowly claiming back what rightfully belongs to them.

It's a slow process but cyclists will ultimately prevail because the cars of today will soon be a distant memory.

Singapore today is in a sad state when it comes to the way it treats cyclists. When we were kids, cycling was commonplace. We went everywhere on our bikes. All my favorite hawkers arrived by bike or tricycle and so did my ice cream man. Bikes and motorists lived in relative harmony. Very few sinkies were fat in those days. Diabetes was very uncommon and hypertension was rare.

In the early 60s, Singapore's first "expressway" incorporated cycle lanes in both directions. Yes cyclists were recognised as legitimate road users by the government of the day. You can see the bike lane in the photo below.

merdeka-bridge-1960s.jpg

Now most people have hardly any exercise and the result is a society riddled with diseases caused by inactivity.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/bike-blog/2011/aug/15/cyclists-paved-way-for-roads

19th century cyclists paved the way for modern motorists' roads

Car drivers assume the roads were built for them, but it was cyclists who first lobbied for flat roads more than 100 years ago

Monday 15 August 2011 07.00 BST Last modified on Tuesday 3 June 2014 21.40 BST

Wooden hobbyhorses evolved into velocipedes; velocipedes evolved into safety bicycles; safety bicycles evolved into automobiles.

It's well known that the automotive industry grew from seeds planted in the fertile soil that was the late 19th century bicycle market. And to many motorists it's back in the 19th century that bicycles belong. Cars are deemed to be modern; bicycles are Victorian.

Many motorists also assume that roads were built for them. In fact, cars are the johnny-come-latelies of highways.

The hard, flat road surfaces we take for granted are relatively new. Asphalt surfaces weren't widespread until the 1930s. So, are motorists to thank for this smoothness?

No. The improvement of roads was first lobbied for – and paid for – by cycling organisations.

In the UK and the US, cyclists lobbied for better road surfaces for a full 30 years before motoring organisations did the same. Cyclists were ahead of their time.

When railways took off from the 1840s, the coaching trade died, leaving roads almost unused and in poor condition. Cyclists were the first vehicle operators in a generation to go on long journeys, town to town. Cyclists helped save many roads from being grubbed up.

Roads in towns were sometimes well surfaced. Poor areas were cobbled; upmarket areas were covered in granite setts (what many localities call cobbles). Pretty much every other road was left unsurfaced and would be the colour of the local stone. Many 19th century authors waxed lyrical about the varied and beautiful colours of British roads.

Cyclists' organisations, such as Cyclists' Touring Club in the UK and League of American Wheelmen (LAW) in the US, lobbied county surveyors and politicians to build better roads. The US Good Roads movement, set up by LAW, was highly influential. LAW once had the then US president turn up at its annual general meeting.

The CTC individual in charge of the UK version of the Good Roads movement, William Rees Jeffreys, organised asphalt trials before cars became common. He took the reins of the Roads Improvement Association (RIA) in 1890, while working for the CTC.

He later became an arch motorist and the RIA morphed into a motoring organisation. Rees Jeffreys called for motorways in Britain 50 years prior to their introduction. But he never forgot his roots. In a 1949 book, Rees Jeffreys – described by former prime minister David Lloyd George as "the greatest authority on roads in the United Kingdom and one of the greatest in the whole world" – wrote that cyclists paved the way, as it were, for motorists. Without the efforts of cyclists, he said, motorists would not have had as many roads to drive on. Lots of other authors in the early days of motoring said the same but this debt owed to cyclists by motorists is long forgotten.

The CTC created the RIA in 1885 and, in 1886, organised the first ever Roads Conference in Britain. With patronage – and cash – from aristocrats and royals, the CTC published influential pamphlets on road design and how to create better road surfaces. In some areas, county surveyors took this on board (some were CTC members) and started to improve their local roads.

Even though it was started and paid for by cyclists, the RIA stressed from its foundation that it was lobbying for better roads to be used by all, not just cyclists.

However, in 1896 everything changed. Motoring big-wigs lobbied for the Locomotives Amendment Act to be repealed. This act made a driver of a road locomotive drive very, very slowly and the vehicle had to be preceded by a man waving a red flag. When the act was jettisoned, speeds increased, automobilists demanded better road surfaces to go even faster on, and "scorchers" and "road hogs", terms first used against cyclists, took over the roads.

By the early 1900s most British motorists had forgotten about the debt they owed to prehistoric track builders, the Romans, turnpike trusts, John McAdam, Thomas Telford and bicyclists. Before even one road had been built with motorcars in mind (this wasn't to happen until the 1930s), motorists assumed the mantle of overlords of the road.

A satirical verse in Punch magazine of 1907 summed up this attitude from some drivers:

"The roads were made for me; years ago they were made. Wise rulers saw me coming and made roads. Now that I am come they go on making roads – making them up. For I break things. Roads I break and Rules of the Road. Statutory limits were made for me. I break them. I break the dull silence of the country. Sometimes I break down, and thousands flock round me, so that I dislocate the traffic. But I am the Traffic."
At the time, the CTC had little inkling cyclists would soon be usurped. An editorial in the CTC Gazette of July 1896 admitted the "horseless carriage movement will make an irresistible advance" and asked members whether motorists should be admitted to membership. Such a move was declined by members but cyclists were later instrumental in the foundation of the Automobile Association, an organisation created to foil police speed traps.

Motoring and cycling soon developed in very different directions and by the 1950s it was clear the future was to be one of mass ownership of cars. Car mileage increased, roads were now always designed with motors in mind, and, rider by rider, cyclists – once dominant on Britain's roads – started to disappear. In the evolutionary timeline of hobbyhorse-to-velocipide-to-bicycle-to-automobile, the riding of bicycles should have been all but extinguished by the 1970s. Town planners certainly thought that way, and declined to design for anything other than motorcars.

But there's a problem with mass car ownership: there's not enough space to put them all. Gridlock is the unforeseen outcome of planning solely for cars. When a city grinds to a halt, that's money down the drain. Cities are waking up to the fact that unrestrained car use is bad for people, and bad for the local economy. Unrestrained car use leads to ugly cities.

Now, the cities that first woke up to this are the bicycle-friendly cities beloved by cycle campaigners.

Towns and cities that design for people, not machines, will be the most progressive of the next 150 years, the towns and cities where people will most want to live, work and play. Far from being a 19th century anachronism, the bicycle is fast becoming a symbol of urban modernity, and cyclists are again at the vanguard of making cities better places. Cyclists have always been ahead of their time.

• Carlton Reid is executive editor of cycling trade magazine BikeBiz and is writing a book on cyclists' contribution to better roads. He has received writing grants from the Rees Jeffreys Road Fund and the Chartered Institute of Highways and Transportation

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal

The roads were actually built for cyclists. From the early to mid 20th Century, the cars took over through sheer force of numbers. Cyclists are now slowly claiming back what rightfully belongs to them.

It's a slow process but cyclists will ultimately prevail because the cars of today will soon be a distant memory.

I see. Not only are cyclists poor, they are backward looking technophobes like the Amish. Well go enjoy your ride on the road while my forward looking motorists friends fill your lungs with gasoline exhaust. :rolleyes:

Leongsam

Admin
Asset

I see. Not only are cyclists poor, they are backward looking technophobes like the Amish. Well go enjoy your ride on the road while my forward looking motorists friends fill your lungs with gasoline exhaust. :rolleyes:

If you remove the COE and ARF, some of today's bikes actually cost more than a car. The owners of these expensive bike own cars as well so that makes them twice as rich as the motorists.

In NZ, My collection of bikes cost more combined than the two cars I own. The technology that has gone into the bikes is even more high tech than the cars. Cyclists aren't technophobes. They use all the latest gadgets.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal

If you remove the COE and ARF, some of today's bikes actually cost more than a car. The owners of these expensive bike own cars as well so that makes them twice as rich as the motorists.

In NZ, My collection of bikes cost more combined than the two cars I own. The technology that has gone into the bikes is even more high tech than the cars. Cyclists aren't technophobes. They use all the latest gadgets.

Yes agree, only that's why you see many Ang Mo's cycling these days, many peasant sinkies cannot afford such bicycles.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset

10 years ago, all my bikes had mechanical shifters. All have been converted to electronic shifting. My next bike will have wireless electronic shifting with power output incorporated into the system.

http://www.bikeradar.com/us/road/ge...ss-electronic-group-details-discovered-42174/

SRAM still isn't yet talking openly about its upcoming wireless electronic road group but sponsored teams and riders are continuing to test the new bits in competition, most recently in Australia at the Tour Down Under with the Ag2r-La Mondiale squad. Although not much appears to have changed since the group's last public appearance, we've since learned that the novel shifter actuation will likely be called 'eTap or 'ETAP' (a play on SRAM's long-running 'DoubleTap' moniker) and that group will most likely simple be called Red with a stylized 'e'.

1422376118710-7dyvdbmitzm7-700-80.jpg

Leongsam

Admin
Asset

Yes agree, only that's why you see many Ang Mo's cycling these days, many peasant sinkies cannot afford such bicycles.

They can't afford bicycles, they can't afford cars and they can't afford motorbikes. That's why the majority of sinkies have to squeeze into the MRT to smell each other's armpits.

Ang Mohs are the best!

maxxi

Alfrescian
Loyal

They will beat a Red light by mounting the kerb and re-enter the road further down.

Still want respect?.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset

They will beat a Red light by mounting the kerb and re-enter the road further down.

Still want respect?.

I do the "hook".

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

You wanna see dangerous driving why don't you take a trip to Chinky land.

Google "China Road Toll" and compare it with the European Ang Moh nations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate

uncle, I never claimed ah tiong are good drivers in the first place. why are u comparing? I wasn't comparing who are good drivers. I only saying the bloody angmo are not as good drivers as you angmo taukee people are claiming.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset

uncle, I never claimed ah tiong are good drivers in the first place. why are u comparing? I wasn't comparing who are good drivers. I only saying the bloody angmo are not as good drivers as you angmo taukee people are claiming.

I'm telling you that Ang Mohs are the best. Just look at this list :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Formula_One_World_Drivers'_Champions

All Ang Mohs except for that black Ang Moh Lewis Hamilton.

This list shows all Ang Mohs too :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_World_Rally_Championship_Drivers'_champions

That's the reason why I have hesitation in proclaiming that Ang Mohs are the best!

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal

10 years ago, all my bikes had mechanical shifters. All have been converted to electronic shifting. My next bike will have wireless electronic shifting with power output incorporated into the system.

No electronic shifters for me, nowadays before I can go a damn ride, everything must make sure is charged properly, front light, rear light, helmet light, Garmin speedo / GPS, mobile phone, last thing I want is to get my ride cancelled or ruined just because I forgot to charge my drivetrain / shifters.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset

No electronic shifters for me, nowadays before I can go a damn ride, everything must make sure is charged properly, front light, rear light, helmet light, Garmin speedo / GPS, mobile phone, last thing I want is to get my ride cancelled or ruined just because I forgot to charge my drivetrain / shifters.

That's one of the reasons why I hesitated going electronic when the Di2 first appeared on the scene.

However, the early adopters convinced me that the risk of running out of charge was minimal and that they were getting at least 3 months of shifting out of each charge.

With Lithium Ion technology being what it is today, I've found that a simple routine is to put the battery on the charger whenever I wash my bike which is once every month or so unless it's a wet ride.

With electronic shifting, you tune it once and that's it. It never goes out. The traditional guys are still struggling with indexing problems, snapped shifter cables, frayed cables, sticky cables. I've had no problems whatsoever. My oldest electronic groupset is more than 3 years old and still running perfectly.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset

printLogo.png

Couple left stranded in bizarre road rage incident

By Anna Leask @AnnaLeask
7:33 PM Tuesday Jun 23, 2015
230615NZHJOMAYORAL01_220x147.jpg

A couple were left stranded in peak-hour traffic in Auckland's CBD. Photo / Jason Oxenham.

An angry cyclist yanked the keys from a pensioner's ignition and took off in a bizarre road rage incident, leaving the man and his wife stranded in peak-hour traffic in Auckland's CBD.

John Goodman and his wife Jocelyn, both 69, were heading to the Auckland Town Hall to see a performance of the Symphony Orchestra on Friday night when they were confronted by a man on a bike.

Mr Goodman said he turned from Queen St onto Mayoral Dr on a green light but traffic was heavy and he did not get all the way through the intersection before the light turned red.

DO YOU KNOW THE CYCLIST? SEND US AN EMAIL

Traffic was at a standstill and a cyclist trying to get around the corner took umbrage to Mr Goodman's position in the queue.

"He ran out of space and he got very cross about that," Mr Goodman told the Herald.

"He yelled at me, shouted that I should pull over. I continued to move ahead and when I stopped at the traffic lights he pulled up alongside me. He pushed my wing mirror flat against my car so I opened my window to talk to him and push the mirror back out. A few words were exchanged and he reached in the window and pulled the keys out of the car and rode off.

"He just left us there."

Mr Goodman called 111 from a bystander's cellphone and alerted police. After checking that the cyclist had not carried on the Auckland Central police station to hand in the keys, Mr Goodman arranged for a tow truck to come and take his car home.

He said he was shocked by the cyclist's actions.

"He obviously thought he had been wronged. I was flabbergasted, I was so surprised I didn't' know how to react," he said.

Mr Goodman could see why the cyclist was annoyed but in peak hour traffic, things like that often happened.

"He just needs to calm down, there's no point in getting that cross. There wasn't a collision, no one was injured, nothing was damaged. These things happen - he overreacted."

Mr Goodman had to pay to get his car towed and wrenched his shoulder as he "tussled" with the cyclist for his keys.
"He grabbed my arm whe he was trying to get the keys... he was stronger than me," he said.

"Even if you think someone is doing something wrong, it's not over to you to determine that - that's for the police. You cannot just take the law into your own hands like that."

Police were aware of the incident and said it was under investigation.

Auckland road policing manager Acting Inspector David Hines said no road user should take matters into their own hands.
"If they witness bad driving then use the *555 and roadwatch if it's not an emergency," he said.

"In this instance if the cyclist took exception to the intersection being blocked he should have reported the matter using *555. It is an offence for a motorist to enter a blocked intersection which comes with a $150.00 infringement fee."

He said if identified the cyclist could be charged with theft for taking Mr Goodman's keys.

"He has no legal right to remove keys from the vehicle. I would strongly urge members of the public to avoid these situations and report them to police for follow up," he said.

"If anything the cyclist has made the situation worse as Mr Goodman has not been able to move his vehicle and caused further traffic congestion to road users. He has also put Mr Goodman at risk stuck in the intersection."

By Anna Leask @AnnaLeask
- NZ Herald

Copyright ©2015, NZME. Publishing Limited