• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Free Internet surfing for 4 more years

PAPsupporter

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wifi is limited to 100 meters lah. You can only receive the signals if you are in the same building

So even if its free, no one outside a mall can get this FREE service :smile:
In other words just another PAP PR stunt.

Well for your info, WiFi technology has been improving. Expect better coverage and speed from it soon. :smile:

The great PAP government will always be there for us. We should be glad we have such loving and caring government. Well done PAP. :smile:

PAPsupporter

Alfrescian
Loyal
You fucking fucktard, why you want to talk sense to these fucking pea-brain cry babies? They have no brain to think and no heart of appreciations. These people need to be chopped into pieces and hang in market area to be sold to the public.

Well I don't really mind doing that as I don't discriminate or despise them. It is just like the great PAP government whom do not discriminate and despise others. We should guide these people to the right direction and they will realized how great the PAP government really is. :smile:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Well for your info, WiFi technology has been improving. Expect better coverage and speed from it soon. :smile:

Nope, WIFI technology will always be limited to a LAN, limited range like malls.

If the PAP was really interested in providing free internet to the masses, they'd be looking at technologies like WIMAX.

PAP will of course charge for such technologies :rolleyes:

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Why do I call it a PR stunt?

This freebie is not targeted at peasants. We are already paying for a connection.

So who's benefitting from this freebie?

Our new buses are wheelchair friendly but there are very services that are actually approved to carry wheelchair commuters.

All for show with no substance :rolleyes:

If the freebies are not targetted at peasants then its targetted at who? Your grandma. Please lah the think is free for all to use. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

cass888

Alfrescian
Loyal
There are none so blind as those who will not see. Or for that matter those who follow the ways of the MONGREL who bit his masters' hands LOUDHAILER chee soon juan.

Wireless@Sg is for PUBLIC places. Biggest beneficiary are the (mostly local) operators of fast food, coffee (and bubble tea) joints. That is why you see so many people at these joints with their laptops.

If you travel frequently enough you will know that most tourists leave their laptops in their hotels. And Wireless@Sg is not available in the hotel rooms, so they do have to pay for the access.

Why do I call it a PR stunt?

This freebie is not targeted at peasants. We are already paying for a connection.

So who's benefitting from this freebie?

Our new buses are wheelchair friendly but there are very services that are actually approved to carry wheelchair commuters.

All for show with no substance :rolleyes:

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I agree. If Mr Johnny333 wants to critize the government for something that they've done wrong, do it!!! I'll raise my hands in support, the government deserve flaming for doing stupid stuff like spending 200K to rename a place to its original name but providing FREE INTERNET ACCESS to the general public in many public places is not something that should be put down.

i_am_belle

Alfrescian
Loyal
so everytime want to surf net, must buy a cuppa starbucks coffee isit ? and must take a bus down to orchard rd from our far flung housing estates in the heartlands ? with the overcrowding & congestion - takes 1.5 hours by bus ...

doesnt this only benefit the rich ?

why not have wireless@sg in the coffee shop below my block ? or in the neighbourhood park so i can email there at nite ... my boss likes to send us messages concerning work late at nite ... if outdoors not possible, how about inside the community club ?

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
why not have wireless@sg in the coffee shop below my block ? or in the neighbourhood park so i can email there at nite ... my boss likes to send us messages concerning work late at nite ... if outdoors not possible, how about inside the community club ?

They ARE available in some community clubs, public Libraries, food courts etc and most of the locations are OUTSIDE town area. Not just expensive coffee joints that serves >$5 coffee. Please get your facts right BEFORE coming in here and making noise like Mr Johnny333

http://www.infocomm123.sg/wireless_at_sg/coverage_areas;jsessionid=3065F66E1B657CB36278024CBAF87641

i_am_belle

Alfrescian
Loyal
i want to surf at night, which is not possible at public library ... lets have wireless@sg in the void decks, or better still - inside the flat ...

cass888

Alfrescian
Loyal
so everytime want to surf net, must buy a cuppa starbucks coffee isit ? and must take a bus down to orchard rd from our far flung housing estates in the heartlands ? with the overcrowding & congestion - takes 1.5 hours by bus ...

doesnt this only benefit the rich ?

Your neighbourhood MacDonalds will have it also.

The reason your coffeeshop does not have access is that it will allow those living in the block to have access. The intention is to allow PUBLIC access only not HOME access.

cass888

Alfrescian
Loyal
i want to surf at night, which is not possible at public library ... lets have wireless@sg in the void decks, or better still - inside the flat ...

You cheapskate. The intention is NOT to give you free access in your HOME or OFFICE. Only in PUBLIC places.

It is because of cheapskates like you that they don't give access to the coffee shops below your block. If the honour system was stronger (like in America where Universities don't have invigilators for exams) the coffee shops will also have access.

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Go to 24hr Mcdonald's or 24hr Food court if U want to surf at night. Like cass888 mentioned, the current initiative is for free access in public places NOT free home access.

PAPsupporter

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nope, WIFI technology will always be limited to a LAN, limited range like malls.

If the PAP was really interested in providing free internet to the masses, they'd be looking at technologies like WIMAX.

PAP will of course charge for such technologies :rolleyes:

Well Wi-Fi technology spectrum assignments and operational limits varies differently in different countries. E.g. in the US, it is 2.4 GHz band. (1–13 vs. 1–11). Wi-Fi not only can be used indoor malls (as what you've mentioned), but also outdoor as well. WIMAX is obviously provides a better coverage and speed, but it is much more expensive than Wi-Fi.
But not to worry, the new improved wireless@sg will be much faster than the current one. 3 cheers for our great PAP. :smile:

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
U another one tons of nonsense which is completely opposite to Johnny333. If PAP was so great, they should make Free internet access available in ALL homes

PAPsupporter

Alfrescian
Loyal

With the improved wireless@sg, I'm sure you can find a good spot near your living place to connect to the Internet. All thanks to our great PAP government for the upgrade and improvement. :smile:

PAPsupporter

Alfrescian
Loyal
U another one tons of nonsense which is completely opposite to Johnny333. If PAP was so great, they should make Free internet access available in ALL homes

That won't be a good idea. If that is so, the Telcos and other companies will lost a great range of business and this will in turn cause large amount of people to lost their jobs. I don't think you all wanted such thing to happen. The great PAP government has take all these risks and negative effects into consideration before implement such measures. We should be glad we have a capable great PAP government.:smile:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If the freebies are not targetted at peasants then its targetted at who? Your grandma. Please lah the think is free for all to use. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

I said in was a PR stunt where did I say it was wrong :confused:
However when you think about it, why should they subsidise computer users in malls instead of the other less fortunate citizens?

If you have travelled you will know that many places in LOS, Malaysia, Indonesia, US ,... have free Wifi access, but paid for by businesses & not the gov't.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Some people really know how to make full use of free services, like meeting their MPs.

One must ask why the PAP is so generous :smile:

Who owns the malls:confused: Temasek

Who provides the broadband services:confused: Singnet

Who is providing the equioment, support,...:confused: probably the ST group

Gosh, thyey are all GLCs :eek:

Last edited:

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
However when you think about it, why should they subsidise computer users in malls instead of the other less fortunate citizens?

If you have travelled you will know that many places in LOS, Malaysia, Indonesia, US ,... have free Wifi access, but paid for by businesses & not the gov't.

If U are really as well travel as U claimed, U'll realize that almost all the places U've mentioned have 1)far less coverage then in SG 2)is mostly not free. Hell even Korea with probably some of the cheapest broadband rates in the world dun get it for free

And let me tell you a little about the Wifi scene in SG, my very first job, about 8 yrs ago back in the days when Wifi cards still came in PCMCIA cards, was actually to plan and setup wireless "hotspots" for Businesses. Very similar business model you were talking about. Businesses setting up their own Wifi and allowing customers to use it.

Back in 2001/2002 Cisco system started the initiative and partnered starhub, Ipass, etc to set them up. Places like Coffee Club, Suntec and A&W(yeah the fastfood rest, no kidding) were actually the first to come up with such stuff. It never really took off and many problems came about from the fact that many of this businesses actually turned off the Wireless APs or did not know how to handle angry customers who were unable to access the network. And it wasnt very popular back then as 1) it was still a very new technology, 2)places U can access the internet it was very limited and 3)some of them partners like starhub started charging customers to use it. Even when the number of hotspot increased and the Wifi chips in notebooks became the norm, it never really took off. It wasn't until the government stepped in and implemented the whole Wireless@SG and most importantly, made it free, that the thing actually started taking off.

And as for the poor and unfortunate, there is actually another plan for them.

http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking%2BNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_391396.html

Again please read up before posting so many comments in here