• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Food for thoght to share with.

myjohnson

Alfrescian
Loyal
Food for thought to share with.

Posted by myjohnson c&p from mrsbudak.livejournal.com
I go to The Online Citizen almost every day. While most of the articles are thought-provoking, I'm less interested in the articles than the comments from the anonymous public itself. While you sometimes get very good response and interaction in the comments, what strikes me really is that despite all that's been said (virtually), what does that actually translate to in "action" terms?

I, too, do my bit to rant against the gahmen in this blog. But other than boasting that I vote for the Opposition, there's really very little else I do. I do scold my colleagues for voting for the PAP blindly (if it's a considered decision then I respect that), we do rant against the gahmen for its rather draconian schemes from time to time, but that's it. Talking is hot air. And I cannot help but think that this is the case for most of us. We are gung ho in this virtual world, saying we want to change the world, but in real life, talking is all we do.

And I suspect that the gahmen is quite happy with this state of affairs because allowing such kopitiam talk gives us people an ILLUSION that we are actually something when it's actually nothing. Gahmen allows us to vent our spleen online so that when it comes to real action, we would have run out of steam and can't do much damage.

(I wrote a couple more paragraphs about the quality of the rants against the recent electricity tariff hike but decided to remove it as it was a little too ponderous.)

It really hit home when Mr JBJ died. When TOC posted the news, sure enough, all those "we lost a hero" comments started coming in. It's easy to eulogise someone when he's dead and gone, what's more online. But when Mr JBJ was still alive, how many of those commented actually went up to him and told him, "thanks Mr JBJ for your good work. I support you!"

I didn't. I bought a book from him in front of Centrepoint, then hastily walked away (plain clothes police hiding one corner filming? I was still working in a GLC then.) before remembering this. I was too chicken to turn back and tell him he was doing something worthy, to give him some encouragement. I still regret it to this day.

So I didn't post anything on TOC. Because it didn't matter what I wrote. Would my virtual words have meant anything? I don't think so.

I guess that's all I have to say. I'm still anti-PAP, and I will still write, so those who want to read me scolding the PAP here on this blog won't be disappointed. But I know it's just hot air on my part.

Until I galvanise my inner frustration to actually DO something. Then perhaps, it will matter.

www.mrsbudak.livejournal.com

Last edited: