• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

$70,000 for a roast duck

gsbslut

Stupidman
Loyal
www.straitstimes.com

74-year-old man loses $70k after downloading third-party app to buy roast duck​

Facebook WhatsApp Twitter More
SINGAPORE – For six hours, a 74-year-old man chatted online with a friendly roast duck seller he met on Facebook, only to find his life savings almost wiped out after.
Mr Loh lost about $70,000 to scammers who siphoned money from his DBS and POSB credit card and bank accounts after infecting his Android phone with malware.
He had chanced upon a Facebook advertisement for a peking duck from a supplier called “Xiao Xiao Ya Zi” on Aug 26.
He was enticed by the deal that offered $23.80 for a 1.5kg peking duck with $5 shipping and contacted the seller on Facebook.
The seller texted Mr Loh on WhatsApp and instructed him through voice messages to download a third-party app called Grab&Go on his phone. The app prompted him to make a $5 payment through PayNow as a “deposit” before his order could be placed.
Mr Loh, who used to work as an importer, was initially suspicious of the ad but let his guard down when the seller convinced him that the promotion was not a scam.
“I asked him: ‘Is this a scam?’ He said that no one would be cheated of $5 and that this was a small thing. He told me that I had a lot of wisdom and experience. I agreed to proceed since this was a matter of only $5,” he told The Straits Times.
Within minutes, while he was still chatting with the seller, he noticed that his phone screen had gone blank.
When his phone restarted multiple times within 30 minutes, Mr Loh tried to close the third-party app and turn off his phone but failed.
Panicking, Mr Loh reached out to the scammer, who then reassured him that the phone reset was normal.
His wife, who overheard the conversation, realised something was amiss and called their daughter. She then got her brother to call DBS immediately.
The bank officer told the family that the scammers had raised Mr Loh’s transaction limit, which was set at $3,000. They transferred about $59,000 out of his DBS current account and POSB savings account. The scammers also took a credit advance of about $11,000 using his DBS credit card.
He said he had set aside that money for his retirement and medical expenses.
“I couldn’t believe the news. I thought: Why am I so stupid? I was so angry at myself for being cheated of my life savings. My family is frustrated and I ended up quarelling with my wife,” said Mr Loh, who has three children.
Woman loses over $44k after downloading third-party app to buy fish
Woman loses $76,000 after downloading third-party app to buy mooncakes
His daughter, who only wants to be known as Ms Ang, said that she had warned her parents about such scams.
“As his children, we are all heartbroken that he was scammed even after we educated our parents about such scams. We thought we had done enough to minimise the risk,” she said.
He sought help from DBS and made a police report on Aug 27.
The police confirmed that a report had been made and investigations are ongoing.
ST has contacted DBS, which also runs POSB, for comment.
Mr Loh also questioned why he did not receive any notifications when his transaction limits were increased.
“I know that some banks require a 12-hour cooling off period when there is an increase (in funds transfer limits). But my credit limit was changed immediately without my permission and knowledge,” he added.
Mr Loh has since changed his handphone and deleted his Facebook and Internet banking apps.
He said: “What I learnt was to not trust people online so easily. I’m not familiar with technology so it would be best to ask my children to help me buy something online rather than I do it myself.”
In the first half of 2023, at least $10 million in total was lost by over 750 scam victims due to unauthorised banking transactions performed by malware, which also resets the victims’ phones.
From mooncakes to fish and durian day tour tickets, the “sellers” of such goods and services on social media have been instructing interested buyers to click on links to download a third-party apps, which then allowed them to take control of the victims’ phones.
OCBC, UOB and DBS have recently announced greater controls aimed at protecting customers against malware-enabled scams.
For example, DBS will be pushing out a new anti-malware tool on its DBS/POSB digibank app progressively from September.
The anti-malware tool will restrict DBS users’ access to their app if it detects the presence of malware, apps downloaded from unverified app stores with accessibility permissions enabled, or ongoing screen sharing on a customer’s device.
Once a known malware is detected, customers will receive a pop-up notification requesting that they secure their devices. They can do so by disconnecting their mobile devices from the Internet and deleting suspicious apps to regain access to their banking app.

bobby

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why donch he just put on his pants and walk to hawker centre to buy a freshly cooked one ?

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
Mr Loh lost about $70,000 to scammers who siphoned money from his DBS and POSB credit card and bank accounts after infecting his Android phone with malware.
Same old shit. The best way to avoid getting scammed is to stop using a fucking Android phone and buy an iPhone instead.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
www.straitstimes.com

SINGAPORE – For six hours, a 74-year-old man chatted online with a friendly roast duck seller he met on Facebook, only to find his life savings almost wiped out after.
He had chanced upon a Facebook advertisement for a peking duck from a supplier called “Xiao Xiao Ya Zi” on Aug 26.
He was enticed by the deal that offered $23.80 for a 1.5kg peking duck with $5 shipping and contacted the seller on Facebook.
The seller texted Mr Loh on WhatsApp and instructed him through voice messages to download a third-party app called Grab&Go on his phone. The app prompted him to make a $5 payment through PayNow as a “deposit” before his order could be placed.
Mr Loh, who used to work as an importer, was initially suspicious of the ad but let his guard down when the seller convinced him that the promotion was not a scam.
“I asked him: ‘Is this a scam?’ He said that no one would be cheated of $5 and that this was a small thing. He told me that I had a lot of wisdom and experience. I agreed to proceed since this was a matter of only $5,” he told The Straits Times.
Within minutes, while he was still chatting with the seller, he noticed that his phone screen had gone blank.
When his phone restarted multiple times within 30 minutes, Mr Loh tried to close the third-party app and turn off his phone but failed.
Panicking, Mr Loh reached out to the scammer, who then reassured him that the phone reset was normal.
His wife, who overheard the conversation, realised something was amiss and called their daughter. She then got her brother to call DBS immediately.
The bank officer told the family that the scammers had raised Mr Loh’s transaction limit, which was set at $3,000. They transferred about $59,000 out of his DBS current account and POSB savings account. The scammers also took a credit advance of about $11,000 using his DBS credit card.
“I couldn’t believe the news. I thought: Why am I so stupid? I was so angry at myself for being cheated of my life savings. My family is frustrated and I ended up quarelling with my wife,” said Mr Loh, who has three children.
His daughter, who only wants to be known as Ms Ang, said that she had warned her parents about such scams.
“As his children, we are all heartbroken that he was scammed even after we educated our parents about such scams. We thought we had done enough to minimise the risk,” she said.
The police confirmed that a report had been made and investigations are ongoing.
Mr Loh also questioned why he did not receive any notifications when his transaction limits were increased.
“I know that some banks require a 12-hour cooling off period when there is an increase (in funds transfer limits). But my credit limit was changed immediately without my permission and knowledge,” he added.
Mr Loh has since changed his handphone and deleted his Facebook and Internet banking apps.
He said: “What I learnt was to not trust people online so easily. I’m not familiar with technology so it would be best to ask my children to help me buy something online rather than I do it myself.”
In the first half of 2023, at least $10 million in total was lost by over 750 scam victims due to unauthorised banking transactions performed by malware, which also resets the victims’ phones.
From mooncakes to fish and durian day tour tickets, the “sellers” of such goods and services on social media have been instructing interested buyers to click on links to download a third-party apps, which then allowed them to take control of the victims’ phones.
OCBC, UOB and DBS have recently announced greater controls aimed at protecting customers against malware-enabled scams.
For example, DBS will be pushing out a new anti-malware tool on its DBS/POSB digibank app progressively from September.
The anti-malware tool will restrict DBS users’ access to their app if it detects the presence of malware, apps downloaded from unverified app stores with accessibility permissions enabled, or ongoing screen sharing on a customer’s device.
Once a known malware is detected, customers will receive a pop-up notification requesting that they secure their devices. They can do so by disconnecting their mobile devices from the Internet and deleting suspicious apps to regain access to their banking app.

Did the sinkie get the roast duck? The title of the thread said that he paid $70k for the duck. The scammer should have a shred of conscience and given him a roast duck at least.

sbfuncle

Alfrescian
Loyal
Weird that all these victims seems to be living in solitary. They still use fb etc means by now they should have heard of such scams.

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
www.straitstimes.com

Holy shit! That's must've been one massive duck!

th

sbfuncle

Alfrescian
Loyal
Also by now it should be official that android phones are not supposed to use with any banking app as it is not secured.
What if a scamming syndicate work with any android phone manufacturer to pre install malware in all phones ?

CoffeeAhSoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
Did the sinkie get the roast duck? The title of the thread said that he paid $70k for the duck. The scammer should have a shred of conscience and given him a roast duck at least.
"He was enticed by the deal that offered $23.80 for a 1.5kg peking duck with $5 shipping and contacted the seller on Facebook."
Deal , too good to reject :tongue:

Screenshot_2023-09-29-21-37-33-67_adcd4ebc113545a35b7470b586057ca8.jpg

Willamshakespear

Alfrescian
Loyal
Another sad tale of a fellow citizen being scammed. He is not the first or sadly, will be the last....

1. My condolences to the victim. It is NOT easy to save even a mere $10K a year for many whose salary is in the average range of $3k/mth. He must had made many sacrifices in life to PRUDENTLY save $70k over years, but ended up falling victim to those whom deviously claimed to help him by offering discounted priced goods, playing upon his mentality of being co$t prudence....

2. There's a common saying - " One cant teach an old dog new tricks". However that does NOT mean we as fellow Humans should stop trying. Our Elected Govt had already spent Million$ in advertising to reach out to EVERYONE on scam techniques, to leave none behind. It managed to reach out to his loved ones and his loved ones did their best to warn him, but sadly, the sayings are true & proven. We can bring the horse to a river to fill its thirst, but no mortal can force the horse to drink..

3. Ultimately, no Human is perfect or a genius. WE are all flawed & can only make mistakes in life to LEARN, correct mistakes & Progress. His life savings may be gone, but fortunately, he is NOT alone. He still have CRITICAL family support as well as National support thru welfare schemes. We citizens will honor our sacred pledge & will leave none behind. We thank him for being honest & came out to the Press - such will HELP in our National fight against scams.

4. Thus may others be more aware, & help spread the message in our fight. Our govt can only do so much & more, but it is up to EACH citizen to reach out to everyone, even those whom mindsets are far to set to be changed, in this era of evolution.

Set up TWO personal bank accounts & TWO handphone accounts. The MAIN one will only have apps for critical operations - banks & govt services such as CPF funds, etc.

The other handphone will have as many apps as one wishes for, in our World craving for entertainment & fun, but will be link to a bank account with only $200 & topped up only when necessary for purchases. This way, even if one is scammed, it is only in hundreds & NOT in thousand$ life savings.

5. NEVER, EVER, UNDER-ESTIMATE the abilities of scammers. They have to be far ahead of everyone else in order to cheat others. With their funds, they will hire the BEST in talents from Universities, CEOs or dept managers of best companies or even cunning individuals from the streets with proven success, either by pay or by threats, to ensure their scamming enterprise succeeds.

However, just as they evolve, so too will law enforcement techniques. We are MORE than them & have FAR more technologies to capture them, end their despicable aims & bring them to justice - to DEPRIVE EVERY single cent they had ILLEGITIMATELY obtained, regardless if 4mths or 40yrs in Changi Prison for REHABILITATION to start honest life anew... It is a WAR that we each must win, not just for ourselves, but for loved ones, family & friends...

Last edited: