• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Old Fart Pays USD51,000 for Peking Duck on Facebook

Pinkieslut

Alfrescian
Loyal

Elderly Singapore man pays US$51,000 for imaginary Peking duck as scammers steal his life savings​

• The 74-year-old had wanted to take advantage of a Facebook deal on 1.5kg of Peking duck selling for the equivalent of US$17.30, local media reported
  • But within minutes of making a small ‘deposit payment’, the man’s phone started going haywire – and his bank accounts were being emptied out

A 74-year-old man in Singapore lost almost US$51,000 in life savings after being tricked into downloading an app to order Peking duck, according to local media.
The elderly man, who was identified only as Mr Loh, said he was attracted by a deal on Facebook offering 1.5kg of Peking duck for the equivalent of US$17.30, with an extra S$5 (US$3.64) for delivery fees, Singapore tabloid Shin Min Daily News reported.
He told Shin Min he was going to have dinner with his family on the night of August 26 and thought his grandson would like to eat the popular dish.

Loh said he was contacted via WhatsApp by a Facebook seller who convinced him to go pay a bogus “deposit”. Photo: Shutterstock
The Facebook seller sent Loh voice messages on WhatsApp with instructions to download the Grab&Go app on his phone, per Shin Min.

Before his order could be processed, the app required him to make a S$5 deposit payment through PayNow.
Loh, a former importer, was initially wary of the ad and even asked if it was a scam. But the person eventually persuaded him to pay the deposit, the newspaper reported.
The scammer told him that “no one would be cheated of S$5” and that “this was a small thing”, according to Singapore newspaper The Straits Times.
However, within minutes of making the payment, Loh’s phone screen went black and repeatedly rebooted for 30 minutes, prompting him to reach out to the scammer in a panic, the newspaper reported.
Loh’s wife then realised something was wrong and contacted their daughter, who got her brother to call the bank to block their father’s account, according to the outlet.
EVERY FRIDAY

Discover news and insights on women trailblazers, social issues and gender diversity in Asia
GET OUR NEWSLETTER
By registering, you agree to ourT&CandPrivacy Policy
But it was already too late.

‘They will punish you’: Malaysian’s death connected to internet scam in Thailand
According to the newspaper, a bank employee told the family that the scammer had raised Loh’s transaction limit and transferred about US$42,900 out of his current and savings accounts.

Using Loh’s DBS credit card, the scammer also obtained a credit advance of nearly US$8,000, it reported.
“I couldn’t believe the news. I thought: why am I so stupid?” Loh told The Strait Times.
“I was so angry at myself for being cheated of my life savings,” he said. “My family is frustrated, and I ended up quarrelling with my wife.”
Loh’s daughter told the newspaper that all the children were “heartbroken” that their father was scammed after they had warned him about such schemes in the past.
“We thought we had done enough to minimise the risk,” she told the newspaper.
Loh has since switched phones and deleted the Facebook and internet banking apps from his phone, per the newspaper.
According to a recent report by Singapore’s Police Force, more than 750 Android device users fell prey to malware scams in the first half of 2023, resulting in losses of more than US$7 million.
Police and the Cyber Security Agency of Singapore released a joint advisory in August to increase awareness about the growing frequency of malware scams affecting Android users.

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
Loh, a former importer, was initially wary of the ad and even asked if it was a scam. But the person eventually persuaded him to pay the deposit, the newspaper reported.
The scammer told him that “no one would be cheated of S$5” and that “this was a small thing”, according to Singapore newspaper The Straits Times.
What kind of idiot will admit they are scamming? Haha

sbfuncle

Alfrescian
Loyal
Is this kind of scams limited to sinkie only or worldwide ? If is worldwide sure something would have been done by now.