• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Fastest Man in Asia

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
No white man has ever run the 100 m in under 10 seconds.

China's Su Bingtian breaks record in men's 100m

su-bingtian2.jpg

Chinese sprinter Su Bingtian became the first Asian-born athlete to run a sub-10 second 100 meters when he came in third at 9.99 seconds during a Diamond League event in the US on Saturday.

American Tyson Gay took the race in Eugene, Oregon upon clocking in at 9.88 seconds.

"I am so proud for my result. I can write my name into history now and will work harder and run faster," Su told Xinhua after the race. "This is definitely a huge boost for me."

su-bingtian.jpg

Qatar's Femi Ogunode still holds the record for fastest time by an Asian athlete after having clocked 9.93 at the Asian Games in South Korea last year. Ogunode was born in Nigeria and moved to Qatar to became a naturalized citizen just ahead of the 2010 Asian games in Guangzhou.

Watch the race here:

[video=youtube;K80ZSLygsYo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K80ZSLygsYo[/video]

Last edited:

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
No white man? White man broke the sub 10sec before yellow man.
Previous fastest mongoliod who did 10 sec was a Jap.

xpo2015

Alfrescian
Loyal
Africans have more acceleration than Asians!

Because they need to outrun cheetahs in Africa!

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The Indians are inspired by Su Bingtian's performance.

http://www.thehindu.com/sport/other-sports/waiting-for-sub10-man-in-india/article7272300.ece
Waiting for a sub-10 man of our own

STAN RAYAN

• TH02FRESH_MILKHA_2424638g.jpg

Milkha Singh
‘Chinese sizzler’, exclaimed an excited athletics buff on his Facebook page as news poured in that China’s Su Bingtian had become the first Asian-born athlete to break the 10-second barrier in the 100m on Saturday night.

The 25-year-old Asian champion had clocked 9.99s while winning the bronze in the IAAF Diamond League meeting in Eugene, USA, blazing a trail for Asian sprinters.

Well, how long will India have to wait for a sub-10 sprinter of its own? Is there anyone around now who shows promise?

What is stopping a country that has produced stars like Lavy Pinto, a 100m and 200m semifinalist at the 1952 Helsinki Olympics, or Milkha Singh who narrowly missed the 400m bronze at the Rome Olympics eight years later?

Difficult task
“It is very, very difficult for an Indian to go below 10 seconds,” Milkha, a multiple Asian Games champion in the 200m and 400m, tells The Hindu over telephone from Chandigarh.

“They should train the way I used to. Nobody is doing that. Even coaches are not sincere.

“I still remember running the 100m in 10.4 secs at the 1960 National Games in New Delhi; they find it difficult to do that sort of timing even now.”

“Those days, we were very good in the 100m. We had Lavy Pinto, who was the fastest man at the first Asian Games (in New Delhi, 1951). Lavy used to run in 10.6-10.7 then. He ran with me at the Patiala Nationals, I think, in 1955-56.”

Even going abroad for training will not help, the ‘Flying Sikh’ says.

“There is no question of going abroad. If you are not going to work hard, what is the use of going there?” he asks.

While Milkha reckons the current bunch does not work hard enough, Ramasamy Gnanasekharan, the last Indian male to win a 100m medal at the Asian Games (a silver in Bangkok, 1978), feels that Indians lack the natural talent for short sprints.

“Indians are nowhere in sight. We cannot even reach the Asian Games final now. We don’t have natural talent, and that’s the hard fact,” said Gnanasekharan, also the 200m gold medallist at the 1978 Bangkok Asiad, from Chennai.

“If you look at the Asian Games, only three or four Indians have won 100m medals there. I don’t think an Indian will go below 10 in the next five or 10 years. There is nobody in sight now. Even juniors are coming up very well internationally, they are running very fast. But I don’t see that in India, I’ve been watching the juniors closely, I don’t see much promise.”

The 100m is an event dominated by athletes of African descent. And even Su Bingtian, who trains in the US, will not get the Asian record despite running 9.99s.

Femi Ogunode, a Nigerian who moved to Qatar in 2009, holds the Asian record of 9.93 which came while winning the Asian Games gold in Incheon last year.

It was Samuel Francis, another Qatari of Nigerian origin, who brought the Asian record under 10 secs for the first time while winning the Asian championship gold in Amman in 2007.

Gnanasekharan feels that Asians often suffer a blackout even before the gun goes off for the 100m in major international meets.
“When they compete with Usain Bolt or other top sprinters, they will go down psychologically, they will be mentally down.

“It’s a very different world out there,” said Gnanasekharan, who now resides in Perambur in Chennai and plans to start an athletics academy soon.

“Even this Chinese boy who went below 10s should show some consistency. Only then will I be convinced about his performance.”

Quality coaching

While Milkha and Gnanasekharan paint a gloomy picture, Kerala’s 100m National record holder Anil Kumar, who came closest to the milestone with a 10.21s in Bengaluru in 2000, feels that quality international coaching could do the trick.

“When I won the Asian silver, the man who won the gold, Saudi Arabia’s Jamal al-Saffar, was training with the Americans. Had they sent me to the US around that time, I would have surely gone below 10,” says Anil, the last Indian to win a 100m medal at the Asian championship (a silver in Jakarta, 2000).

Anil, an SAI coach now, holds the current National record at 10.30s which came in New Delhi in 2005; his 10.21 in Bengaluru was not ratified by the Athletics Federation of India for want of dope control at that meet. He had trained in Ukraine during some his best years.

“I was so confident after that Asian medal, I even told officials that if I did not go below 10 secs after American training, I would reimburse all the money they would spend on me. But it didn’t work,” he says.

“If you give Indians quality training, they can go below 10s,” says Anil.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What about the Russian, ValeriyBorzov ?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valeriy_Borzov

Valery Borzov won the sprint double in the Munich Olympics, but he never made it under 10s for 100m. He won in 10.14s. That was because the 2 American hot favourites missed the quarterfinals because they got the starting time wrong. His personal best was 10.0 seconds, achieved in the European championship.

Notwithstanding, he's still the most outstanding white sprinter of all time.

Until Christophe Lemaitre, all the athletes who had broken 10 s were black.

looneytan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thailand Arnaat Ratanapol did 100 m in sub-10 sec many moons ago ...

.. but that was because he was chased by a bulldog

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thailand Arnaat Ratanapol did 100 m in sub-10 sec many moons ago ...

.. but that was because he was chased by a bulldog

Anat Ratanapol was Thailand's – and S.E. Asia's – greatest sprinter. His best official timing was 10 s flat, but because it was hand-timed it never entered the record books. (Hand-timing is about 0.1–0.2 s faster than electronic timing.)

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Africans have more acceleration than Asians!

Because they need to outrun cheetahs in Africa!

Really? In my mind, the fastest sprinter in Asia is WKS. Shorty will run as fast as Ben Johnson at the first sign of trouble. And no need any drugs for that.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Still recall our lau chiau sprinters like Kunalan, Yeo Kian Chye, Loh Chan Phew, Leslie Shepherdson, Tang Ngai Kin.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I recall that Tang Ngai Kin was a decathlete (decathlon).
During Pre-U 2, I lost to my classmate, SG's national sprint champion, Kan Shook Wah, clocking 12.5 seconds.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I recall that Tang Ngai Kin was a decathlete (decathlon).
During Pre-U 2, I lost to my classmate, SG's national sprint champion, Kan Shook Wah, clocking 12.5 seconds.

You are right abt Ngai Kin but he made up the 4x100m relay team. Kan's name rings a bell.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You are right abt Ngai Kin but he made up the 4x100m relay team. Kan's name rings a bell.

Kan Shook Wah, was SG's national women's champion sprinter, when she was at SCGS, and then at RI. She was about 5 ft 2, and about 45 kg.
She out ran me at 12.5 seconds for the 100 metres.