• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Ex-S'poreans returning to Singapore to work

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
They are offering free education to intelligent Indian nationals with the hope that they will make Singapore their home. That is an excellent scheme. It's like venture capital where if it works out, the return on investment is huge.

On the other hand here is no upside in investing in locals as all the value has already been fully extracted. They are in the "sell" category.

No other country in the world is that dumb to offer such a scheme. Another first by sinkapore. Shows how dumb the PAP government is. Pouring half a billion dollars annually to get a few of these leeches to stay on. Sure a waste of our tax dollars.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
..greatest losers in the world for someone to give up pink IC, take CPF and come back to singapore to work as FT. If anyone in company found them, just post their posters around the company to shame them.
That's hitting below the belt. Circumstances career-wise do change, evolve over time. And if there's a good prospect for a work (or business) stint here, without necessarily switching of allegiance, why play judge and executioner for returnees who just cari makan? Shouldn't the employer be a better judge of his competency and value to business?

And if this fits in with his personal and social inclinations, then it's mutually gratifying

Last edited:

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
No other country in the world is that dumb to offer such a scheme. Another first by sinkapore. Shows how dumb the PAP government is. Pouring half a billion dollars annually to get a few of these leeches to stay on. Sure a waste of our tax dollars.

Correction... no other country in the world is BOLD enough to offer such a scheme because weak governments fear a voter backlash.

PAP, on the other hand, concentrates on doing what is right for the country rather than doing what is popular. It is for this reason that I have such huge respect for LHL and his team who have not wavered in the face of adversity.

It's a sign of true leadership.

Merl Haggard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I am ok with both Canada and NZ. But very 'painful' to lose my medical benefits. At my age, very important
consideration. Vancouver and Wellington for me.

I know of a friend, a former senior civil servant who emigrated to Canada and he returns to seek his free medical treatment.

Merl Haggard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I believe foodstuff from all over the world are easily available in large cities across the world now. In main Canadian cities, there's this chain of Taiwanese supermarkets, T&T that likely covers every eastern Asian food produce. Package goods like Prima are found on their shelves. I think Glory Food items are stocked too. What was amusingly strange was - frozen durians, m&d crabs (from Vietnam), and get this - frozen soft-shelled turtles! My wife didn't find it funny when I joked about buying it home to make our own turtle soup! On Yonge Street, there is a huge Korean supermarket where we'd get beef from. Quality (for steaks) are up to my expectations and priced competitively too. Not a big rice eater, but rice is actually cheaper there than in Singapore, where it is a staple!

Hmmm, didn't know that about Alberta - the pollution. Thanks, will have to check on that before making the move.

Cheers!

Alberta is polluted probably because of her oil fields.

In 2010 I spent 6 months in a service apartment at Yorkville, Toronto to accompany my daughter attending her Applebys college in Oakville.

If I were to retire, I would choose to settle in Niagara Falls. Viewed a few two storey bungalows standing on 1/4 acre block selling for only C$180,000.

With about 25m tourists who visit Niagara Falls annually, one can always set up a business to cater to them. Also it's conveniently located between Toronto and New York.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore/Malaysian food is not difficult to find in these places where there are a number of immigrants from there. There is a very popular restaurant, Restoran Malaysia in Richmond Hill that is frequented by many Middle-Easterners as well (Halal certified!). We mostly cook our meals at home, and I have become a BBQ devotee, I BBQ during winters too! For a quick and economical meal, we go to Hong Konger run cafes, and sometimes go for Dim Sum as well. However, I have to admit that the best Indian food I've tasted happens to be in Markham, at a place called Shahee's on Highway 7. Their naan with prawn masala is really addictive. Got to watch the carbs from such dishes!

Cheers!

Toronto Chinatown supermarkets at Spadina and Dundas stock the following that I recall:
- Prima Taste spices (hainanese chicken rice, laksa, nasi lemak, mee goreng, etc)
- Glory Catering Kaya (2 types: the normal pandan and the golden colour Honey type)
- Yeo's (Malaysia) Chicken Curry ready to eat sauce (in cans)
- Maggi chilli sauce and oyster sauce
- Delimas (Malaysia) satay sauce, curry chicken sauce

T&T supermarkets in Markham and Richmond Hill stock more variety of Malaysian/Singaporean groceries.

In Mississauga, there is a "Lion City Restaurant" operated by an old Peranakan couple. You can find all the Singaporean dishes you crave for:
- Chye Tao Kway
- Mee Rebus
- Ngoh Hiang
- Chicken Rice
- Fishball Noodle
- Fish Head Curry
- Chendol
- Kueh Dadar
- Char Kway Teow
- Teh Tarik

In Scarborough, there is a "Gourmet Malaysia" restaurant which serves Malaysian food.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

In 2010 I spent 6 months in a service apartment at Yorkville, Toronto to accompany my daughter attending her Applebys college in Oakville.

If I were to retire, I would choose to settle in Niagara Falls. Viewed a few two storey bungalows standing on 1/4 acre block selling for only C$180,000.

With about 25m tourists who visit Niagara Falls annually, one can always set up a business to cater to them. Also it's conveniently located between Toronto and New York.

New York state is just across the border!

Sinkapore style chicken wings should sell well.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yeah, I'll have to check on the pollution level in Alberta before deciding to settle down there. Haven't been there but only imagine the polluted area to be around Edmonton where the oil sands are located. Calgary is quite a distance from the fields and I wonder how badly affected it is.

Niagara is probably the most vacationed spot in entire Canada, especially with it being a honeymoon spot for newly-weds from USA. Yeah, it very touristy. So far, I've visited the falls in every season, Summer, Fall, Winter and Spring and almost take a drive there every Fall for the fruit season. Not very much attracted by the waterfalls there though, all one can do is look at it, can't go in to swim or dip like in Kota Tinggi in Johore.

Cheers!

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

That cheap? Given its location, was under the impression it would cost much more.

Yes, with 25m tourists a year, easy to chari makan.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
No need to buy private health insurance lah ...use public health care. Public health care in Canada top notch because the doctors there are busier and thus more opportunities to fine-tune their skills.

As doctors go I would trust the ones in Canada more than I would the ones in Spore. In Spore there are many doctors trained in the 3rd world. If I had a cold maybe I would visit them but not for more serious ailments.

Merl Haggard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Toronto Chinatown supermarkets at Spadina and Dundas stock the following that I recall:
- Prima Taste spices (hainanese chicken rice, laksa, nasi lemak, mee goreng, etc)
- Glory Catering Kaya (2 types: the normal pandan and the golden colour Honey type)

T&T supermarkets in Markham and Richmond Hill stock more variety of Malaysian/Singaporean groceries.

In Mississauga, there is a "Lion City Restaurant" operated by an old Peranakan couple. You can find all the Singaporean dishes you crave for:

- Chye Tao Kway
- Mee Rebus
- Ngoh Hiang
- Chicken Rice
- Fishball Noodle
- Fish Head Curry
- Chendol
- Kueh Dadar
- Char Kway Teow
- Teh Tarik

In Scarborough, there is a "Gourmet Malaysia" restaurant which serves Malaysian food.

Didn't know about the S'porean restaurant in Mississauga otherwise I would have stopped by while I was commuting between Toronto and Oakville by train 3 to 4 times a week.

Equalisation

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

- Chye Tao Kway
- Mee Rebus
- Ngoh Hiang
- Chicken Rice
- Fishball Noodle
- Fish Head Curry
- Chendol
- Kueh Dadar
- Char Kway Teow
- Teh Tarik

Recently, the Lion City restaurant have added beef noodles to their menu.:o

Merl Haggard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
That cheap? Given its location, was under the impression it would cost much more.

Yes, with 25m tourists a year, easy to chari makan.

Also looked at the super luxurious Four Seasons Residence at Bay Street/Yorkville Ave. In 2010 while it was still under construction, developer was selling at C$1300 to C$1500 psf.

greedy and cunning

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am an ex-Singaporean. Employed by my ex-boss, on E-pass. No cpf. No health benefits like polyclinic. Not eligible for HDB housing. Child pays foreigner's school fees. Buy car, must have COE. Speak like Sinkie, able to cuss smoothly KNNBCCB and so on. Not allowed to vote. After E pass expires, will fuck off.

Cheers!

best retort to samleong reply.
This shows what a fantastic job the PAP is doing. People assume that the grass is greener elsewhere until they get a taste of what life is like outside of the Utopia that the PAP has created.

ex-sillypootians come to to work lah , not come back to be shittyzen again.
this is the GREAT difference.
you always like to distort fact and hope no one will notice,
you slimy as a Pee-A-Pee.
you anyhow pee izzit ?

enterprise2

Alfrescian
Loyal
Biggest joke is expat packages given to Malaysians to work in Singapore. These fellows laughing all the way to the bank!!

dr.wailing

Alfrescian
Loyal
To people who are considering moving to Canada

Did you know that just a few days ago Canada announced it would accept a substantial increase of refugees from Syria? According to some insiders, the figure is about a million or so. About ten years from now security will be an issue in Canada.