• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Ex-S'poreans returning to Singapore to work

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
it is must a bunch of the greatest losers in the world for someone to give up pink IC, take CPF and come back to singapore to work as FT. If anyone in company found them, just post their posters around the company to shame them.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Early during my stay there, I was talking to an immigrant ex-Singaporean who advised to not think about Singapore and focus one's mind and immerse oneself on the activities there. I agree with him. The two locations are on opposite ends of the world and the distance separating both countries is really great. Culturally, there is no common ground. One has to think differently. Once there, Singapore doesn't exist. There is no sharing of economies. I never thought I would come back to work again until on a holiday visit when I bumped into my ex-boss and he made me an offer that fit my plans, well, at least for that time period.

Cheers!

While I was Canada I can truely say that I rarely gave Spore much thought. Life there was so easy. I may have missed the food of Spore back then, but since returning the food is not so important anymore. Maybe I've outgrown local food or more likely the quality isn't there, because I still enjoy the food in JB & LOS.

For those who feel lonely there are many ex-Sporeans in Canada. It's not difficulty to connect to the Spore community through activities like church. I find that Sporeans who have stayed there for a few years are less likely to be up tight & happy to meet a fellow Spoream e:smile:

I have relatives living in Toronto & Vancouver & I think those living in Vancouver are happier because of the milder winters. Have Canadian friends from Alberta who intend to retire in BC.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
That is understandable because Singapore does not have the sort of space that NZ has. You can't blame the PAP for that.

This is another thing that I admire so much about the PAP... they always get their priorities right.

It's not about space but about greed. Many Sporeans were happy with a population of 3 million. It is the PAP who weren not satisfied. If people had known what the PAP were up to I'm sure there would have been opposition. Maybe that is why the PAP kept it a secret until the number were too large to hide.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
capitalism is a sort of ponzi scheme, it depend on a growing population to borrow money so that more money are created from thin air to save the early borrowers.

that is why china will die a horrible death since they adopt capitalism without understanding it, it's falling population will destroy it.

PAP understand capitalism. I do not agree with their tom dick and harry pink IC printing press, but i understand them.

Dragonhead

Alfrescian
Loyal
....This is another thing that I admire so much about the PAP... they always get their priorities right.

Are you joking? The papees are offering free education in sinkapoo to Indian nationals and yet local students have to pay for their education.

What bull shit about papees' getting their priorities right. They are elected by sinkies to serve the natives but it looks like papees are now serving foreigners.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
While I was Canada I can truely say that I rarely gave Spore much thought. Life there was so easy. I may have missed the food of Spore back then, but since returning the food is not so important anymore. Maybe I've outgrown local food or more likely the quality isn't there, because I still enjoy the food in JB & LOS.

For those who feel lonely there are many ex-Sporeans in Canada. It's not difficulty to connect to the Spore community through activities like church. I find that Sporeans who have stayed there for a few years are less likely to be up tight & happy to meet a fellow Spoream e:smile:

I have relatives living in Toronto & Vancouver & I think those living in Vancouver are happier because of the milder winters. Have Canadian friends from Alberta who intend to retire in BC.

It is getting so hard to immigrate to Canada. My eyes are now on Chile or Costa Rica.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
it is must a bunch of the greatest losers in the world for someone to give up pink IC, take CPF and come back to singapore to work as FT. If anyone in company found them, just post their posters around the company to shame them.

Why shame ex-sinkees? They are truly foreign talents compared to the Pinoy, Ah Tiongs and Ah Nehs.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yup. One wouldn't have much time to bother about Singapore, except probably certain close relatives or friends, this would be common to anyone from anywhere in the world. One very quickly integrates into the local community, neighbours, school activities (if one has kids). Food, well, we all have our favoured dishes but most people would settle for what is available locally and conveniently. For special cuisines, have to pick them up and learn how to DIY.

There is a Singapore-Malaysia church in Toronto/Scarborough and I've met their members who encouraged me to join and participate, but I've mostly not responded as I'm not inclined to join christian events. But it will be useful for people who wish to find fellowship and company.

Visited Vancouver a few years ago and really loved the gentler climate and outdoors, but employment opportunities are much lesser than Toronto. Didn't bother about the Chinese there though, there are many in Toronto too. Maybe might look at Calgary when I return this round. Just got to be aware that they had a massive flood there recently, and don't want to be in those flood prone areas. From the youtube video clips, they're not little-itsy-bitsy type "ponding."

Cheers!

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yup. One wouldn't have much time to bother about Singapore, except probably certain close relatives or friends, this would be common to anyone from anywhere in the world. One very quickly integrates into the local community, neighbours, school activities (if one has kids). Food, well, we all have our favoured dishes but most people would settle for what is available locally and conveniently. For special cuisines, have to pick them up and learn how to DIY.

On my last visit to Toronto, I found Prima spices in the Chinese supermarkets. Wah lau, got laksa, mee siam, hokkien mee spices. If you are there, don't need to miss sinkapore food anymore. And so much other food there. Buay tahan. The Korean food ...wah, the best man.

Visited Vancouver a few years ago and really loved the gentler climate and outdoors, but employment opportunities are much lesser than Toronto. Didn't bother about the Chinese there though, there are many in Toronto too. Maybe might look at Calgary when I return this round. Just got to be aware that they had a massive flood there recently, and don't want to be in those flood prone areas. From the youtube video clips, they're not little-itsy-bitsy type "ponding."

Vancouver good for visit only. Property prices are ridiculous. And the weather is like UK ..always rain.

I will stay away from Alberta ...too much pollutants in the air from the tarsands development.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
I believe foodstuff from all over the world are easily avaible in large cities across the world now. In main Canadian cities, there's this chain of Taiwanese supermarkets, T&T that likely covers every eastern Asian food produce. Package goods like Prima are found on their shelves. I think Glory Food items are stocked too. What was amusingly strange was - frozen durians, m&d crabs (from Vietnam), and get this - frozen soft-shelled turtles! My wife didn't find it funny when I joked about buying it home to make our own turtle soup! On Yonge Street, there is a huge Korean supermarket where we'd get beef from. Quality (for steaks) are up to my expectations and priced competitively too. Not a big rice eater, but rice is actually cheaper there than in Singapore, where it is a staple!

Hmmm, didn't know that about Alberta - the pollution. Thanks, will have to check on that before making the move.

Cheers!

On my last visit to Toronto, I found Prima spices in the Chinese supermarkets. Wah lau, got laksa, mee siam, hokkien mee spices. If you are there, don't need to miss sinkapore food anymore. And so much other food there. Buay tahan. The Korean food ...wah, the best man.

Vancouver good for visit only. Property prices are ridiculous. And the weather is like UK ..always rain.

I will stay away from Alberta ...too much pollutants in the air from the tarsands development.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I am ok with both Canada and NZ. But very 'painful' to lose my medical benefits. At my age, very important
consideration. Vancouver and Wellington for me.

The countries you are planning to 'invest' in has public healthcare ...so, you are pretty much covered. If it is not enough, can always come back to get heal.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The countries you are planning to 'invest' in has public healthcare ...so, you are pretty much covered. If it is not enough, can always come back to get heal.

If I go, will give up citizenship for complete break. If dont do that, money no enough! No one wants to cover my insurance. None in S'pore. I suspect same same elsewhere too.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If I go, will give up citizenship for complete break. If dont do that, money no enough! No one wants to cover my insurance. None in S'pore. I suspect same same elsewhere too.

No need to buy private health insurance lah ...use public health care. Public health care in Canada top notch because the doctors there are busier and thus more opportunities to fine-tune their skills.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
well. come back screw stinkees not a bad idea. afterall, let unsinkified sinkees screw balless stinkees better than let shit skins and peenoys screw. dio boh? eeeeeee.
..so smelly one here. stinkees

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Both OZ and NZ offer 5 years renewal VISA for retirees. You must show your pension and cannot use Public health. Quite a number of teachers, and civil servants have taken this up. They maintain a house here and in OZ or NZ. They do about 2 to 3 trips to suit the weather. Quite a good arrangement.

I am ok with both Canada and NZ. But very 'painful' to lose my medical benefits. At my age, very important
consideration. Vancouver and Wellington for me.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Are you joking? The papees are offering free education in sinkapoo to Indian nationals and yet local students have to pay for their education.

They are offering free education to intelligent Indian nationals with the hope that they will make Singapore their home. That is an excellent scheme. It's like venture capital where if it works out, the return on investment is huge.

On the other hand here is no upside in investing in locals as all the value has already been fully extracted. They are in the "sell" category.

indig10

Alfrescian
Loyal
Toronto Chinatown supermarkets at Spadina and Dundas stock the following that I recall:
- Prima Taste spices (hainanese chicken rice, laksa, nasi lemak, mee goreng, etc)
- Glory Catering Kaya (2 types: the normal pandan and the golden colour Honey type)
- Yeo's (Malaysia) Chicken Curry ready to eat sauce (in cans)
- Maggi chilli sauce and oyster sauce
- Delimas (Malaysia) satay sauce, curry chicken sauce

T&T supermarkets in Markham and Richmond Hill stock more variety of Malaysian/Singaporean groceries.

In Mississauga, there is a "Lion City Restaurant" operated by an old Peranakan couple. You can find all the Singaporean dishes you crave for:
- Chye Tao Kway
- Mee Rebus
- Ngoh Hiang
- Chicken Rice
- Fishball Noodle
- Fish Head Curry
- Chendol
- Kueh Dadar
- Char Kway Teow
- Teh Tarik

In Scarborough, there is a "Gourmet Malaysia" restaurant which serves Malaysian food.

I believe foodstuff from all over the world are easily avaible in large cities across the world now. In main Canadian cities, there's this chain of Taiwanese supermarkets, T&T that likely covers every eastern Asian food produce. Package goods like Prima are found on their shelves. I think Glory Food items are stocked too. What was amusingly strange was - frozen durians, m&d crabs (from Vietnam), and get this - frozen soft-shelled turtles! My wife didn't find it funny when I joked about buying it home to make our own turtle soup! On Yonge Street, there is a huge Korean supermarket where we'd get beef from. Quality (for steaks) are up to my expectations and priced competitively too. Not a big rice eater, but rice is actually cheaper there than in Singapore, where it is a staple! Hmmm, didn't know that about Alberta - the pollution. Thanks, will have to check on that before making the move. Cheers!