• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

England, English Players and such...

Glaringly

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Downfall in trophy, yes. But windfall selling players.:biggrin: Frustrated for supporters but definitely a good business acumen, they are the best running club.

Besides lacking in experience, player with flair tends to take a touch too many. Example Diaby, Eboue and Brentner are a bit too greedy thus slowing down play. Other factors like the number of injuries also shows young player with their not fully form body tends to get injured more easily.

Arsenal's youth policy has been their downfall, in my opinion.
They lack leadership on the field.
Their players are as good as any team in the BPL, in fact, I think man for man, Arsenal have the best players.
Arsene should go and buy Rob Green and bring Mathew Upson back to Highbury. They're not the best players, but they're experienced and they have leadership qualities. More importantly, they will be available.

jw5

Loyal
Downfall in trophy, yes. But windfall selling players.:biggrin: Frustrated for supporters but definitely a good business acumen, they are the best running club.

Besides lacking in experience, player with flair tends to take a touch too many. Example Diaby, Eboue and Brentner are a bit too greedy thus slowing down play. Other factors like the number of injuries also shows young player with their not fully form body tends to get injured more easily.
Oh, definitely, they are in good financial health and that has to be attributed to Arsene Wenger as much as anybody else. He has run the club really well in all aspects, even better than Fergie in my opinion.
And as I said, they have the best players, but he hasn't brought in enough experience, which is needed when the going gets tough. Imagine, Fabregas at 21 or 22 is the captain and last week, RWP at 25 was the captain.
I don't really agree with the bodies not being fully developed, as I think by 21, they should be fully developed.
The reason that they have more injuries is more likely the brand of football they play. Opposing teams tend to "get at them", not necessarily with a malicious intention, but more so to get the ball off them and to show them that they are in a game or put them off. What Arsene needs to be is to be more flexible, sometimes play the quick passing game, sometimes the long and high balls and crosses. Even Barcelona's quick passing was not able to break down a stout Inter defence. Some flexibility was also needed then.

elephanto

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Perhaps I am not too sophisticated a football observer.

I agree Arsenal has lots of young talent, club well run & any idiot knows they are EPL's advertisement for Barca type football.

Yet, no silverware for 5 seasons ?!

Their form is not consistent this season. Highs & lows & inexplicable losses to mid-table teams & Spurs ....

jw5 have mentioned lack of leadership - whose fault ?

Can Arsene's year in year out excuses hold - they are young, they have potential, they merely lack experience etc etc

Do they lack 'the bottle', are too frail ?
Not true - this season they have withstood rough stuff dished out to them, they have displayed resilience to win by late goals etc

So if anyone who should take responsibility, it is Arsene Wenger.

His brilliance unquestioned, but I feel he has reached a plateau these past few years... no great breakthrough in motivation skills, tactical acumen .... merely continue to show talent in spending frugally & buy low/sell high.

Still, I think Arsenal is due a change in fortunes soon .... but Arsene must start buying some seasoned leaders to blend with youth this summer ... yet he has pre-empt paying sky-high prices by declaring he is not interested in World Cup Stars... ha ha

jw5

Loyal
The good financial health of the club, young talented players coming through and the beautiful football that they play can be attributed to Arsene Wenger.
But the lack of leadership in the team, the lack of flexibility in the way they play and the goalkeeping and centre half situation should also be attributed to him.
After all, he has full control over which players are at the club and in the team.

Glaringly

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Josh McEachran

Another exciting flair player in the centre of the park. Included in Chelsea first team recently.

Suddenly, the flair-less England midfield that they had for ages, comes alive with not one ( Jack Wilshere), not 2 ( Tom Cleverely ) but 3.

Josh McEachran is 17th this year and had improve in leaps and bound recently, is left footed, play for Chelsea reserve and youth team at the tip of the diamond. You can watch him in action at http://www.thefa.com, playing in the FA youth cup final between chelsea and Aston Villa.

Although it could be too early to say with certainly which one will comes out good for England, certainly it is exciting times to watch England again.

Btw, Tom Cleverely is from Man Utd, so hopefully in the not so distance future we could get to watch them pited against each other.

elephanto

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Wow, Really interesting surnames ...

Tom Cleverely - Clever rely on what ? or is it Clever really ? :biggrin:

Josh Mceachran - Gosh ! Mc Each Ran - each one run how long distance ?:biggrin:

England got hope for new generation of footballers - but none like Wayne Rooney, a once in 50 years phenomenon.

Glaringly

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Excuse me, got the name wrong, should be Tom Cleverley.

Rooney is one hell of an animal and needs to be fed, so the future looks bright after this crop of oldbies being replace with the new wave.

Players like...

Goalkeeper - Joe Hart, Ben Foster

Defenders - Gibbs, Glenn Johnson, Dawson, Shawcross, Smalling, Richard, Tomkins, Cahill, Mancienne

Defensive Midfielders - Rodwell, Tom Huddlestone, Eastmond, Jack Cork

Attacking Midfielders - Jack Wilshere, Tom Cleverly, Josh McEachran, Milner, Delph

Winger - Adam Johnson, Walcott, Lennon, Stanislas

Forward - Rooney, Carroll, Delfouneso, Sturridge

jw5

Loyal
Ben Foster is already 27, while Joe Hart is only 21.
I don't think Foster is a keeper of the future, he is an outstanding shot stopper, but he seems to be a "nervy" keeper, which is one of the worst things you can have in a keeper.
I had never heard of Josh McEachran until today, thanks for the information.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The squad that England has now doesn't impress me as potential World Cup winners, still quarter-finalists at best. The luck of draw gave England a relatively easy group stage, if they can't clear it, well, forget it. Clearing through means their 2nd round knock-out opponents would be either Germany, Australia, Serbia or Ghana. Getting Germany or Serbia is practically sure case of gone case for England. If by luck again, they got Australia or Ghana, then there may be probability (not even certainty) of reaching the quarter-final. (Remember, even eventual world champions Italy got a hard time clearing Australia at this stage the last time.) If they do reach there, regardless of opponent, I don't see how they can go further with this type of squad. Besides Wayne Rooney, basically bottom-half table or substitute standards, or 2nd divisional standards by old 1st division standards.

Glaringly

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Hey hey. This is by far the best crop that England produced in a long while, beside Rooney, I think Lampard, John Terry, Rio Ferdinard are world class. And don't you think Lennon, Ashley Cole, Barry, Johnson ( when going forward ) deserve more then mid table rating? Sorry pool fan, I don't rate Gerrard. The worrying sign now is that there seems to be a mini defensive crisis brewing.

And also the difference this time round is Fabio Capello, at least they have a top top manager at their helm.

Talking about manager failings or the typical England Manager, look no further to Staurt Pearce who is now managing England under 21. Not only is this guy super defensive he also posses all the trade mark of the old style. Though the current under 21 are gifted with many fine technical players, but in the last few games, he employ 3 defensive midfieldlers for England home games agiainst minnows like Macedonia and Greece? Failing or putting flair player like Wilshere, Cleverley in their worst position.:mad:

Glaringly

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Btw, there are many young technical gifted players produce right now by many clubs, besides Arsenal, Chelsea seems to have an abundance coming up.

Right now, the English under 17 are on a rampage in international games, winning their last 7 games successively and by big margin. Though it may be too soon to pick the cherries. :biggrin:

The squad that England has now doesn't impress me as potential World Cup winners, still quarter-finalists at best. The luck of draw gave England a relatively easy group stage, if they can't clear it, well, forget it. Clearing through means their 2nd round knock-out opponents would be either Germany, Australia, Serbia or Ghana. Getting Germany or Serbia is practically sure case of gone case for England. If by luck again, they got Australia or Ghana, then there may be probability (not even certainty) of reaching the quarter-final. (Remember, even eventual world champions Italy got a hard time clearing Australia at this stage the last time.) If they do reach there, regardless of opponent, I don't see how they can go further with this type of squad. Besides Wayne Rooney, basically bottom-half table or substitute standards, or 2nd divisional standards by old 1st division standards.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I may be on the pessimistic side, but frankly I can see no light for England at the end of the tunnel this time. Ben Foster and Joe Hart as world-class goalkeepers? Please don't joke. The defence, only John Terry and Gareth Barry are somewhere there. In defence, two is not enough. I know you don't like Liverpool or Steven Gerrard but I have to rate him there in midfield alongside Frank Lampard and Joe Cole. In attack, a very outstanding surely world class but lone Wayne Rooney. If that's enough to win this World Cup, I congratulate England and think that Frank Capiello deserves not only knighthood, but also sainthood.

jw5

Loyal
I may be on the pessimistic side, but frankly I can see no light for England at the end of the tunnel this time. Ben Foster and Joe Hart as world-class goalkeepers? Please don't joke. The defence, only John Terry and Gareth Barry are somewhere there. In defence, two is not enough. I know you don't like Liverpool or Steven Gerrard but I have to rate him there in midfield alongside Frank Lampard and Joe Cole. In attack, a very outstanding surely world class but lone Wayne Rooney. If that's enough to win this World Cup, I congratulate England and think that Frank Capiello deserves not only knighthood, but also sainthood.
On the contrary, I rate John Terry and Gareth Barry as the biggest weaknesses in the England team, besides the goalkeeper of course. Gerrard has had a poor season, but on his day, he's world class, probably the only player othan than Rooney who is.
A decent team would be the following:
Hart; Johnson, Cole, Ferdinand, King;
Lennon (right), Adam Johnson (left), Gerrard, Lampard, Milner (centre); Rooney as the lone striker with the 3 central midfielders supporting him.
I don't believe in the concept of "holding" midfielders. If 2 go forward, the other guy jolly well holds back.

Glaringly

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
The reason Birmingham is in mid table is because of Joe Hart. Nothing less. He should be England number 1.

Barry is a defensive midfielder not a defender. Did you watch Premier league this season?

:biggrin::biggrin::rolleyes:

btw, I don't think Joe Cole will be included. He has been putting so much weight and doesn't look fit enough.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
On the contrary, I rate John Terry and Gareth Barry as the biggest weaknesses in the England team, besides the goalkeeper of course. Gerrard has had a poor season, but on his day, he's world class, probably the only player othan than Rooney who is.
A decent team would be the following:
Hart; Johnson, Cole, Ferdinand, King;
Lennon (right), Adam Johnson (left), Gerrard, Lampard, Milner (centre); Rooney as the lone striker with the 3 central midfielders supporting him.
I don't believe in the concept of "holding" midfielders. If 2 go forward, the other guy jolly well holds back.

The concept of holding-midfielder was reinvented because there're no more Bryan Robson or David Platt around. England should have been World Cup winners in 1986 or 1990. Blame fate, blame Bobby Robson or whatever, whoever. It never happened. That was the strongest squad that I've seen.

Sir Bobby Robson got his knighthood from the reaching semi-final in 1990, and of course excused from blame from the Diego Maradona hand-of-god goal in 1986. I don't rate him that highly. He completely mismanaged the flair and skills of Glenn Hoddle and Chris Waddle. He was just saved by the fluke of an upsurging form by Gary Lineker, just as Rafael Benitez had the saving grace of winning an ECL by an upsurge of form by Steven Gerrard.

jw5

Loyal
Now that the BPL season is over, who do you think should be in the England first XI?
Who should be in the squad of 22?
I've already named my first XI.

The squad of 22 is as follows (my choice not who I think Capello would pick):
Goalkeepers: Hart, Green, Robinson
Defenders: G Johnson, Carragher, A Cole, Bridge, Ferdinand, King, Cahill
Midfielders: Gerrard, Lampard, Milner, Carrick, Young, Lennon, A Johnson, J Cole
Strikers: Rooney, Defoe, Crouch, Bent

Glaringly

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
My take.

I'll leave out Rio Ferdinand, he doesn't seems to be capable of playing more then 2 matches.

Goalkeepers: Hart, Green, James
Defenders: G Johnson, Terry, A Cole, Dawson, King, Upson, Brown
Midfielders: Gerrard, Lampard, Milner, Huddlestone, Young, Lennon, Walcott, Barry
Strikers: Rooney, Zamoro, Defoe, Heskey, Bent

Why 22, should be 23 players right. Or did they change the rule?

elephanto

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
My take.

I'll leave out Rio Ferdinand, he doesn't seems to be capable of playing more then 2 matches.

Midfielders: Gerrard, Lampard, Milner, Huddlestone, Young, Lennon, Walcott, Barry

Yo, we need a Sheringham-type of misfit that is hard to mark - Peter Crouch !

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Too taxing to name 22 or 23. I'll just name my first 11.

Goalkeepers: Paul Robinson

Defenders: Rio Ferdinand, John Terry, Wes Brown, Matthew Upson

Midfielders: Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard, Shaun Wright-Phillips, Theo Walcott

Forwards: Wayne Rooney, Peter Crouch

jw5

Loyal
My take.

Good point about Rio.
I didn't pick James for the same reason, he's very injury prone.
Brown hasn't played enough games this season, don't think he's fit.
Who's your backup left back?
What's your first XI and the formation? 4-4-2?
It's Zamora, not Zamoro. :smile:
Don't know whether it's 22 or 23. If it's 23, I'll also take Michael Dawson or Theo Walcott. Ok, Walcott.

Last edited: