• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

England, English Players and such...

elephanto

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I think that Kenny Dalglish and Ian Rush had no choice
yea, no choice, wrong time, wrong era ...
if Singapore-born Terry Butcher is born 30 years later, he would be Singapore Captain driving the 2010 World Cup dream - oh sorry coming in less than 2 months time....:cool:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I chance upon watching 1966 World Cup final and 1968 European Cup final between Manchester United and Benfica recently, where English triumph.

There are lots of good skillful and talented individual, unlike the British bull dog in later years. I wonder what's leads to the adoption of the hoof and physical style that we had seen through the 70s till the millennium. I am glad it's begin to change in recent years.

1966 Alf Ramsey played a totally unEnglish game, probably due to circumstances. English league top winger George Best refused to play for England (and opted for Northern Ireland) and top centre forward Jimmy Greaves was out injured. Ramsey had Gordon Banks, Bobby Moore and Bobby Charlton forming the backbone of his team.

It's quite clear in the group stage, he just wanted to get enough points to go through. Nothing spectacular, just enough done. The quarter final against Argentina showed the usefulness of Geoff Hurst. His headed goal has become textbook classic of "glancing" header, how to change the direction and accelerate the speed of the ball with neck power and eye co-ordination. (It was later emulated or even bettered by Ruud Gullit in 1988 Euro final against Soviet Union.) It was justice done just like 1990 final Germany 1 Argentina, where Argentina resorted to playing bad stifling game.

1966 best games were of course semi-final versus Portugal and final versus Germany. That's where the totally unEnglish style came into full play and triumphed. Whilst Banks and Moore were holding the defence line, Bobby Charlton and Geoff Hurst were simply taking every opportunity to run with the ball forward and shoot, and they simply outshot the Portuguese and Germans to win that World Cup. The nickname is Wingless Wonders.

Another manager who used the same strategy was Enzo Bearzot of Italy in 1982. Simply do enough at first round group stage to go through. Italy and Paolo Rossi were boring stuff at group stage and written off. Once through, Italy and Rossi came alive, Argentina, Brazil, Poland and Germany all fell like dominoes and handed the World Cup over to Italy. If you review the footages of those games, what the Italians played in 1982 was totally unItalian football. It was classic English football even bettered!

Last edited:

Glaringly

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Talking about unEnglish team, Liverpool of the late 70s to early 80s stood out. I am a MU fan and hated during those times when they won almost every single league or cup. Looking back it's really a joy watch them with their smooth style and their total control of the game from the back to front. Something like a concoction of German total football and today's Arsenal team. That's how good Liverpool are back in those days.

Just recall they had players like...

Ray Clemence, Phil Neal, Phil Thompson, Alan Kennedy, Alan Hansen, Terry Mcdermott, Ray Kennedy, Sammy Lee, Grame Souness, Kenny Daglish, Emlyn Huhes, Steve Heighway, Jimmy Case, Mark Lawrenson, Ronnie Whelan, Ian Rush...

Awesome.

elephanto

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Talking about unEnglish team, Liverpool of the late 70s to early 80s stood out. I am a MU fan and hated during those times when they won almost every single league or cup. Looking back it's really a joy watch them......
Awesome.

Coming from a Man U fan, even if it is 30 years later, still ........ the compliments are AWESOME !:cool: made my day ...

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The Liverpool team from 1974-84, I doubt Argentina, Germany, Italy or even Brazil could be considered favorites if playing them.

elephanto

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The Liverpool team from 1974-84, I doubt Argentina, Germany, Italy or even Brazil could be considered favorites if playing them.

Getting more & more AWESOME, such sincere compliments....

Warms the hearts of all Liverpool fans
.... remembering how they fell in love with the club from Day 1 all those years ago ....

THE ONLY ENGLISH CLUB THAT IS TOPS IN MANAGER TRANSITION until they appoint Gerald Houllier .......

elephanto

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Back to the theme of English Players...

Anyone from the era of black/white newsreels (must be in 70s/80s age now), remembering Sir Stanley Matthews, John Charles, Sir Tom Finney and Billy Wright?

Just famous names to me, watching those old footage, the pants very loose, the leather ball very heavy & their hair all so slick.... dribbling skills all in slow motion & maybe much harder because the ball is so heavy especially when soaked !

Glaringly

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Coming from a Man U fan, even if it is 30 years later, still ........ the compliments are AWESOME !:cool: made my day ...

Respect is one thing, support is another... Till this day I still do not support Liverpool, at least not until they get the Spanish Contingent out.

With the premiership crowded out by so many foreigners now, it's nice to support the team with the moist Englishmen... :biggrin::biggrin:

I wonder did today youngster feels the same way about supporting English team? Probably not.:mad:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Back to the theme of English Players...

Anyone from the era of black/white newsreels (must be in 70s/80s age now), remembering Sir Stanley Matthews, John Charles, Sir Tom Finney and Billy Wright?

Just famous names to me, watching those old footage, the pants very loose, the leather ball very heavy & their hair all so slick.... dribbling skills all in slow motion & maybe much harder because the ball is so heavy especially when soaked !

Stanley Matthews was the original down-the-flank dribbling wizard. First to win European Footballer Of The Year. Yes, back to black-and-white era. Regrettably as Kevin Keegan in the 70s, the 50s were not England days. The game is still a team game. There's no use putting Diego Maradona or Zinedine Zidane in Singpore team, even if they don't mind.

elephanto

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Respect is one thing, support is another... Till this day I still do not support Liverpool, at least not until they get the Spanish Contingent out.

With the premiership crowded out by so many foreigners now, it's nice to support the team with the moist Englishmen... :biggrin::biggrin:

I wonder did today youngster feels the same way about supporting English team? Probably not.:mad:

Well said.... growing up reading ST's Joe Dorai reporting on M'sia Cup matches ...Liverpool's exploits in the 70s captured my imagination & fancy that remains to this day despite them never winning an EPL crown.

Oh, I love reading MU, Arsenal, Spurs, Forest but Liverpool is still the club for me.

Spanish Manager bring in Spanish contingent.
French Manager bring in French contingent.
In his early days, Ferguson also bring down his Scottish contingent - including goalie Jim Leighton, Brian McClair, Gordon Strachan ....

The common excuse is : English players too expensive..

Currently, Spurs & Villa has lots of Englishmen ....

yearning for the day of an English Manager leading English Players in the English Club .... but not Steve McClaren please (although he seems to be resurrecting his managerial reputation in Holland with Twente).

Remember Big League Soccer on Sunday Morning in the old days ...

Even in my sec school, AV Club will rent & show on projector FA Cup Final Matches in the school hall to raise funds ....

No wonder we are all raised on British Football ....

jw5

Loyal
Talking about unEnglish team, Liverpool of the late 70s to early 80s stood out. I am a MU fan and hated during those times when they won almost every single league or cup. Looking back it's really a joy watch them with their smooth style and their total control of the game from the back to front. Something like a concoction of German total football and today's Arsenal team. That's how good Liverpool are back in those days.

Just recall they had players like...

Ray Clemence, Phil Neal, Phil Thompson, Alan Kennedy, Alan Hansen, Terry Mcdermott, Ray Kennedy, Sammy Lee, Grame Souness, Kenny Daglish, Emlyn Huhes, Steve Heighway, Jimmy Case, Mark Lawrenson, Ronnie Whelan, Ian Rush...

Awesome.
Great players all, but they were from different eras.
Emlyn Hughes for instance, never played with Ian Rush.
Graeme Souness was actually the manager of people like Whelan and Rush.
If you are interested in Liverpool of the 1980s, you should read Ian Rush's autobiography, aptly titled "Rush".
Players like Clemence, Neal, Thompson, Hughes, McDermott, Heighway, the 2 Kennedys, Lee, Case etc were from one era. So were Keegan, David Johnson, and supersub David Fairclough
Players like Hansen, Lawrenson, Whelan, Rush, Dalglish, Souness were from another era. Not forgetting also good old "Macca" (the bald one on TV), "Macca" (the one with lots of hair), the eccentric Grobelaar, and then a little later, Barnes, Beardsley, Aldridge etc.
In my opinion, Hansen and Lawrenson formed the best centre back partnership in the history of the english game, or as far as I can remember anyway. They never seemed flustered and never had to resort to dirty games to clear their lines.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In my opinion, Hansen and Lawrenson formed the best centre back partnership in the history of the english game, or as far as I can remember anyway. They never seemed flustered and never had to resort to dirty games to clear their lines.

Have you got your positioning mistaken? Phil Thompson and Mark Lawrenson were the centre backs. Phil Neal and Alan Hansen were the full backs.

Glaringly

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Great players all, but they were from different eras.

Am quoting a series of years, so there are overlaps.

Here are the year.

1978/79
Graeme Souness
Kenny Dalglish
Steve Ogrizovic
Alan Hansen
Alan Harper
Ray Clemence
Phil Thompson
Ray Kennedy
Sammy Lee
Alan Kennedy
Phil Neal
Terry McDermott
Steve Heighway
Emlyn Hughes

1979/80
Graeme Souness
Kenny Dalglish
Steve Ogrizovic
Alan Hansen
Alan Harper
Ray Clemence
Jimmy Case
Phil Thompson
Ray Kennedy
Sammy Lee
Alan Kennedy
Phil Neal
Terry McDermott

1980/81
Graeme Souness
Kenny Dalglish
Steve Ogrizovic
Alan Hansen
Richard Money
Alan Harper
Ray Clemence
Jimmy Case
Phil Thompson
Ian Rush
Ray Kennedy
Sammy Lee
Alan Kennedy
Phil Neal
Terry McDermott
Steve Heighway
Colin Irwin
David Johnson

1981/82
Graeme Souness
Kenny Dalglish
Steve Ogrizovic
Richard Money
Bruce Grobbelaar
Alan Harper
Phil Thompson
Ian Rush
Sammy Lee
Alan Kennedy
Phil Neal
Terry McDermott
Mark Lawrenson
Ronnie Whelan
David Johnson

Ian Rush and Souness are team mates.

Here's the link to all the years.

http://www.fanbase.com/Liverpool-FC-1981-82

jw5

Loyal
Have you got your positioning mistaken? Phil Thompson and Mark Lawrenson were the centre backs. Phil Neal and Alan Hansen were the full backs.
Alan Hansen almost never played at full back, if my memory serves me correctly.
He was definitely Lawrenson's partner at centre back.
Emlyn Hughes was Phil Thompson's partner ar centre back. Phil Neal was the right back and Alan Kennedy was the left back.
Different eras as I said before.
I can't really remember who played at full back during Hansen and Lawrenson's time, but I think it could have been Avi Cohen (who is Bolton's Tamir Cohen's father) at left back and possibly Rob Jones at right back.
Perhaps others could help to refresh our memories.

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
alan hansen partnered mark lawrenson as centrebacks la ...

in european cup final 1985, lawrenson got shoulder dislocated n replaced by gary gillespie ... phil neal n jim beglin were fullbacks ...

elephanto

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Alan Hansen may have played at full back now & then in the early days, but after Emlyn Hughes was sold to Wolves, Alan took over the centre back position & eventually over time he & Mark Lawrenson established themselves as legendary centre backs.

Actually Mark played at left back in his early days in Liverpool too.

Glaringly

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A67326555

Interesting times ahead when the "homegrown" player ruling kicks in next year. With 25 registered players and at least 8 are "homegrown".

Liverpool will have to shed 6 foreigners.
Machester City also 6.
Manchester United 1
Chealsea 1 ( surprise)
Arsenal Kosong:wink:
Stoke City 6.
Fulham 4.
Aston Villa and Spurs, safe.

Wonder where Pool and City is going to hitch these players from? Or we are likely to see more acedemy players in the coming years. Interesting.

elephanto

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A67326555

Interesting times ahead when the "homegrown" player ruling kicks in next year. With 25 registered players and at least 8 are "homegrown".
Arsenal Kosong:wink:
Gunners zero ? really ?

I thought there was a time there fielded virtually a team of foreigners ... since when do they have 8 homegrown players at least ?

Only Walcott, Sol Campbell, Kieran Gibbs, Ramsay ... only 4 in the first team what ...

Glaringly

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Homegrown is defined as played or developed at a club in England or Wales for a minimun of 3 years between the age of 17 to 21.

Thanks to Wenger youth policy they have record number of 18. 10 surplus to requirement which can be sold to Man City or Liverpool. :biggrin::biggrin:

jw5

Loyal
Homegrown is defined as played or developed at a club in England or Wales for a minimun of 3 years between the age of 17 to 21.

Thanks to Wenger youth policy they have record number of 18. 10 surplus to requirement which can be sold to Man City or Liverpool. :biggrin::biggrin:
Arsenal's youth policy has been their downfall, in my opinion.
They lack leadership on the field.
Their players are as good as any team in the BPL, in fact, I think man for man, Arsenal have the best players.
Arsene should go and buy Rob Green and bring Mathew Upson back to Highbury. They're not the best players, but they're experienced and they have leadership qualities. More importantly, they will be available.