• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Early retirement in JB

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think KL is a lot more better to work and to relax compared to Spore. Besides, property prices is not really that high compared unless you choose prime KLCC areas. If in Mont Kiara, it is about RM1000 psf and you can get decent units. JB is more for ppl who need to go back to Spore every day.

Another popular option is Penang, Malacca still can easily come back every week.

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Another popular option is Penang, Malacca still can easily come back every week.

For me, Malacca is also good option. Besides with HSR becoming a reality, it is a lot easier to travel. Penang does has its charms but I still feel Penang do not have that critical commercial input and sustainability. But good developers like E&O is doing very well there.
Btw,I do not have anything in both cities.

OzRick

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, I am a locum GP....

Find living in Sg too overcrowded and need to work till old to sustain lifestyle so thought of semiretiring in JB...I am 40 years old now...just wanna work less and play more..:smile:

With the 6.9 M population coming, SG will be much more overcrowded and living will become unbearable.

I had retired in Nusajaya, Johor for more than a year now and find it as good as retiring in Australia with the exception of the weather. Lots of things are cheaper, less crowds and more space, there are plenty of places to explore, overseas travels are much more convenience with Senai and Changi airports nearby, etc.

If you are concern about children’s education, the international schools here are much better than Singapore public schools. It is less hectic and you save on tuitions too. Marlborough College concept is very much similar to the holistic approach of the Australian education system.

If you are flexible in your work arrangement so that you do not need to be caught in the border jam, move over to enjoy a much better standard of living here.

freedom

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think KL is a lot more better to work and to relax compared to Spore. Besides, property prices is not really that high compared unless you choose prime KLCC areas. If in Mont Kiara, it is about RM1000 psf and you can get decent units. JB is more for ppl who need to go back to Spore every day.

Yes, I may need to work off and on so it has to be JB...

freedom

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks OzRick for yr affirmation and support...my hubby needs convincing about the international school standard though...non Marlborough as we cannot afford that one..

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks OzRick for yr affirmation and support...my hubby needs convincing about the international school standard though...non Marlborough as we cannot afford that one..

My daughter did IB Middle School in Fairview International KL. They have a campus in JB City.
Fees is much lower compared to Marlborough.

OzRick

Alfrescian
Loyal
Marlborough College is just an example. I believe many other international schools in Johor are better than the Singapore public school system. Check out RAS, the Sunway College in Medini with a Canadian curriculum and many others.

I, for one had gone through the Singapore public school system and know the difference with the Australian education system and/or international schools. I would not have graduated with a doctoral degree in Australia had I sticked with the Singapore system.

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Marlborough College is just an example. I believe many other international schools in Johor are better than the Singapore public school system. Check out RAS, the Sunway College in Medini with a Canadian curriculum and many others.

I, for one had gone through the Singapore public school system and know the difference with the Australian education system and/or international schools. I would not have graduated with a doctoral degree in Australia had I sticked with the Singapore system.

Coincidentally, my daughter did not do IB Diploma after finishing her MYB at Fairview.
She opt to do Ausmat at Sunway College, KL enroute to Australian unis. Sunway Iskandar campus is open for intake in 2017 per their website.

edragon

Alfrescian
Loyal

If you enjoy the traffic jams; can see your condo just cannot reach.

freedom

Alfrescian
Loyal
My daughter did IB Middle School in Fairview International KL. They have a campus in JB City.
Fees is much lower compared to Marlborough.

But Sg education is subsidised and dirt cheap for us so it is a waste not to use it...

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
But Sg education is subsidised and dirt cheap for us so it is a waste not to use it...

Cheap but may be at the expense of child's sanity as there is so much stress from having to compete for academic recognition, parents also stressed out, children all before passing out from PSLE already dua pak kia....

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Cheap but may be at the expense of child's sanity as there is so much stress from having to compete for academic recognition, parents also stressed out, children all before passing out from PSLE already dua pak kia....

Singapore syallabus, IGCSE and IB are all very different approaches. Depends on which type of education you prefer for your child.
No right or wrong system.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore syallabus, IGCSE and IB are all very different approaches. Depends on which type of education you prefer for your child.
No right or wrong system.

But Singapore approach is to up its standard by having a "Singapore-Cambridge" qualification instead of just Cambridge...makes for a much more stressful education, and is it really necessary? Sometimes it may just be that our children end up being schooled but not educated.

Last edited:

freedom

Alfrescian
Loyal
But Singapore approach is to up its standard by having a "Singapore-Cambridge" qualification instead of just Cambridge...makes for a much more stressful education, and is it really necessary?

Yeah, also worried about stress..heard from a tuition teacher who is a school teacher that they r teaching 2 years in advance! My younger one who is starting P1 is weak in Chinese and has to deal with higher Chinese...my poor boy...

sgcount

Alfrescian
Loyal
But Singapore approach is to up its standard by having a "Singapore-Cambridge" qualification instead of just Cambridge...makes for a much more stressful education, and is it really necessary? Sometimes it may just be that our children end up being schooled but not educated.

Agree... The education system we have only creates more stress for the kids. I see some of my friends who have migrated overseas. Really can tell the difference in their kids' overall behavior and character compared to those raised in Singapore. They are more confident in expressing their thoughts and feelings. They speak up better also.

Our students here may score highly in exams but that does not guarantee anything in their working life.

The funny thing is, we have often heard praises for our education system. Yet for those students who don't do well in their "O" and "A" levels, and their parents are rich enough to send them to overseas uni, they still come back with good grades from Australia, UK, etc. They are still able to find jobs in Singapore. Ironically, some employers even prefer these students (more outspoken with better critical thinking skills) than our own NUS/NTU students who did better in their "A" levels!

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree... The education system we have only creates more stress for the kids. I see some of my friends who have migrated overseas. Really can tell the difference in their kids' overall behavior and character compared to those raised in Singapore. They are more confident in expressing their thoughts and feelings. They speak up better also.

Our students here may score highly in exams but that does not guarantee anything in their working life.

The funny thing is, we have often heard praises for our education system. Yet for those students who don't do well in their "O" and "A" levels, and their parents are rich enough to send them to overseas uni, they still come back with good grades from Australia, UK, etc. They are still able to find jobs in Singapore. Ironically, some employers even prefer these students (more outspoken with better critical thinking skills) than our own NUS/NTU students who did better in their "A" levels!

There is a big difference between a Cambridge student and an International Baccalaureate student. Cambridge student is taught what to think and remember while an IB student is taught how to think and analyse. The British system of A level is slowly getting outdated while most American and Australian system adopt IB style. That is why many of these Cambridge students who scored very well often struggle in the 2nd yr of university where critical thinking begin to apply.
A good example is my son who scored with 3 As in GCE A level ended up with a pass in Economics from Australian National Uni. His thinking skills is academic and restrictive in nature. Meanwhile my daughter who studied IB is a lot more argumentative and more rounded in analysing. She is more of a risk taker. That's the big difference.

cybermad

Alfrescian
Loyal
There is a big difference between a Cambridge student and an International Baccalaureate student. Cambridge student is taught what to think and remember while an IB student is taught how to think and analyse. The British system of A level is slowly getting outdated while most American and Australian system adopt IB style. That is why many of these Cambridge students who scored very well often struggle in the 2nd yr of university where critical thinking begin to apply.
A good example is my son who scored with 3 As in GCE A level ended up with a pass in Economics from Australian National Uni. His thinking skills is academic and restrictive in nature. Meanwhile my daughter who studied IB is a lot more argumentative and more rounded in analysing. She is more of a risk taker. That's the big difference.

Sometimes the less well off parents hv no choice but to send their children to local univ as they cannot afford overseas education.

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sometimes the less well off parents hv no choice but to send their children to local univ as they cannot afford overseas education.

Malaysia is this thing called PTPTN which is a Government higher education loan scheme and many other scholarships offered by private universities and companies. Best part is if you get very good results, the loan can be converted to full scholarship. Loans are to be repaid only when you started working at very low interests. It is applicable for local as well as overseas education. Those days there's a racial quota for the Government loans but these days it is open to all.