• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

DBS cash deposit machine eat my money

Zohan

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have an unfortunate incident which the DBS deposit machine eat my money.

I deposited 14 pieces of $50 notes and 2 pieces of $10 notes which comes up about $720

I put my money in the slot and the machine start to count the money.. Knn it counted $520

I cancel the transaction and count the money. holy shit!! it is really $520 and where is the $200??

Zohan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Call up DBS and they got an investigation department to check things out.

And i got a reply from them saying the machine count the cash correctly. Nothing is wrong and the guy use it after me has no problem.

If that is the kind of reply i get, i will close up all my account with them. I had ask them to request the staffs from the investigating department to call me on monday to clarified.

totally feeble effort on their part. Any of you kanna such problem before???

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You must kick up a big fuss over it. Write to the press, the CEO as well as to your MP and get CASE involved. There is something wrong with the ATM handling of cash and it should be investigated thoroughly.

Don't be a docile sinkee. Fight it!

chootchiew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You must kick up a big fuss over it. Write to the press, the CEO as well as to your MP and get CASE involved. There is something wrong with the ATM handling of cash and it should be investigated thoroughly.

Don't be a docile sinkee. Fight it!

In this case, anyone also can report it mah . But each person is entitled to do it once in lifetime only lah..else kangtao peek char liao.

Reddog

Alfrescian
Loyal
anyone of you have such encounter before?

Happened to me once but in a happy way. Put in 4 $50 and 8 $10 for a deposit of $280 but was counted and recorded as $440 and I forgot to complain against an uncaring giant. That was August 2012 ... too late to raise hell ?? Ha Ha

chootchiew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Happened to me once but in a happy way. Put in 4 $50 and 8 $10 for a deposit of $280 but was counted and recorded as $440 and I forgot to complain against an uncaring giant. That was August 2012 ... too late to raise hell ?? Ha Ha

Are you kidding or for real ? I ever thought to photocopy money and try depositing many yrs back but scare kena cameraed....I got this thought from game arcade when young, I used indo currency coins to try insert into sgd $0.20 cents space invader and manage to play wor !

Zohan

Alfrescian
Loyal
i have do some checks. Indeed, it happens to a few of my friends' friends and some people too.

This is the first time it has happened to me. I did kick up the fuss and they will do a proper investigation for me.

Zohan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Cash-deposit machine 'ate up $800'

By Rachel Chan

ACCORDING to retiree A. P. Chong, he fed $2,800 in notes into a bank cash-deposit machine in Upper Cross Street only to find, to his horror, that the system had acknowledged a deposit of only $2,000.

After an investigation, DBS Bank maintained that that is all the 65-year-old fed in.

But Mr Chong is sticking to his story. He insists he was entrusted with $2,800 in savings by a few elderly relatives, and he was banking the sum into his decades-old POSB savings account.

He broke up the wad of cash into smaller instalments of $10 and $50 notes that June 10 evening, and fed each in turn into the machine, he said.

But, when the former accountant scrutinised the receipts issued by the machine, he found that they recorded a total deposit of only $2,000.

He called the bank's customer hotline an hour later to report the matter, and was told that the bank would need some time to conduct investigations.

Mr Chong, who said he has been using automated banking services for years, wanted prompt action.

"I asked the customer-service officer whether someone could open the machine promptly to find my missing $800, but was told that they (the staff) could not do that as the machines are serviced by an external vendor."

After almost a month, he received a two-page letter from the bank on July 8. It informed him that he had made seven transactions, totalling 16 $50 notes and 120 $10 notes, and that the cash-deposit machine (CDM) had not been faulty. Only $2,000 had been deposited.

The letter, which my paper saw, continued: "Had the machine experienced a fault during a transaction, it would be unable to accept further deposits unless this fault is rectified by our service engineers.

"No discrepancies were revealed during the reconciliation of our accounts for that CDM on that particular day.

"We hope that this would assure you that your cash deposits are appropriately recorded in your account."

Mr Chong is not convinced.

"A whole month has passed before presenting me with these findings. Why couldn't the bank check the machine immediately after I reported the incident? Anything could have happened during the time in between," he said.

When contacted, a DBS spokesman would say only that the bank "thoroughly investigated Mr Chong's case and has presented him with our findings".

DBS investigates customer claims using a combination of system logs, comparing the amounts keyed in by the customer against the money recovered from the machine, and scrutinising CCTV images, the spokesman added.

Ms K. S. Chu, 60, who runs a camera shop next to the row of POSB automated teller machines and the aforementioned CDM in Upper Cross Street, said that she has never had any problems depositing large sums of cash in batches.

"(The machine in Upper Cross Street) can handle transactions amounting to $2,000 or $3,000, no problem. But the receipt does take a while to come out of the machine sometimes," she told my paper.

When this reporter attempted to deposit cash in batches at the same CDM, it took so long for a receipt to be issued that a call was made to the DBS helpline.

A customer-service officer was able to rattle off details of every single transaction made in the past five minutes. She also promised that the problem encountered would be taken care of.

Meanwhile, Mr Chong continues to hope that the $800 he insists is at large will turn up.

"I've lodged another complaint with the bank, and will wait for them to get back to me," he said wistfully.

Zohan

Alfrescian
Loyal
The bank should be able to confirm from their ledger.

i hope so.

If DBS service is like that... then what do you think of ocbc or UOB.. which one is better? Thinking of changing bank.

Last edited:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I remember using a DBS ATM machine to withdraw cash & the ATM machine short changed me. Fortunately I always count the $ & immediately went to the branch where the ATM was located to report the problem. It took them a few days to rectify my problem.

Since that experience I only use the ATM to withdraw small amounts of $. For larger amounts I personally go to the bank. Nowadays I keep a tin where I keep a couple of thousand for my cash needs:smile:

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have an unfortunate incident which the DBS deposit machine eat my money.

I deposited 14 pieces of $50 notes and 2 pieces of $10 notes which comes up about $720

I put my money in the slot and the machine start to count the money.. Knn it counted $520

I cancel the transaction and count the money. holy shit!! it is really $520 and where is the $200??

You say it comes up "about" $720. If you yourself do not know the exact amount you put into the slot then what leg do you have to stand on claiming this or that?

Zohan

Alfrescian
Loyal
You say it comes up "about" $720. If you yourself do not know the exact amount you put into the slot then what leg do you have to stand on claiming this or that?

are you trying to correct my English?

If you are, you are doing a poor job. pls count the number of notes and if can count, then tell me what the amount is.

I will not correct any English here. after i write it.. and that's it.

Zohan

Alfrescian
Loyal
I remember using a DBS ATM machine to withdraw cash & the ATM machine short changed me. Fortunately I always count the $ & immediately went to the branch where the ATM was located to report the problem. It took them a few days to rectify my problem.

Since that experience I only use the ATM to withdraw small amounts of $. For larger amounts I personally go to the bank. Nowadays I keep a tin where I keep a couple of thousand for my cash needs:smile:

i do not have patience with a bank who do their maintenance work poorly on their machine.

i will change bank. What do you think of Ocbc and uob?

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
are you trying to correct my English?

If you are, you are doing a poor job. pls count the number of notes and if can count, then tell me what the amount is.

I will not correct any English here. after i write it.. and that's it.

Indeed, this is not an issue of grammar but, rather, your state of mind.

It is good that you have put things down in writing here for the bank to take note.

hokkien

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
How about counting your cash in front of the camera before deposit?:biggrin:To prevent such incident happen again:biggrin:

Zohan

Alfrescian
Loyal
How about counting your cash in front of the camera before deposit?:biggrin:To prevent such incident happen again:biggrin:

why would i do that?

If the machine is not up to its efficient level, it means the bank is not working well enough. I ask a few of my friends , some of them have this encounter before. It means it is not an infrequent occurrence.

I was worried that my cash is gone just like that. I am not a rich person and that is my income.

It makes the whole encounter seems like the bank is the thief.