• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Congratulations to all "Singapore" winners...

Tristan

Alfrescian
Loyal
of the Commonwealth Games. You've worked hard and deserved your rewards. Remember to spend your hundreds of thousands wisely.

For the "Singapore" women's table tennis team, the Asian Games next month will be another harvest of rich $$$. Huat ah!!

Tristan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Is the Multi-Million Dollar Awards scheme fair for all?
By Alicia Wong – October 16th, 2010Email Facebook Twitter Print
COMMENT

I cannot but help wonder about the stunning cash awards being promised to Singapore athletes after their wins at the 19th Commonwealth Games in New Delhi.

China-born shooter Gai Bin, 42, garnered the largest “windfall” among Singapore’s 65 athletes who competed during the 12-day sporting event in India. The shooter, who became a Singapore citizen in 2007, won three golds, two silvers and two bronzes, earning him a cool $270,000

Singapore’s table tennis team, who won six out of seven gold medals on offer, will earn nearly a million dollars ($920,000) for their efforts, although up to 20 per cent of that will go to the Singapore Table Tennis Association to groom future talent.

Eight players in the team, all born in China — Yang Zi, Gao Ning, Ma Liang, Feng Tianwei, Wang Yuegu, Li Jiawei, Sun Beibei, Yu Mengyu — will earn amounts ranging from $168,000 to $32,000, The New Paper reported.

The top table-tennis earner is Yang Zi for his three golds and one silver while at the other end, Yu Mengyu will earn $32,000 for a solitary singles silver.

Gymnastics and badminton are the other sports to feature in the list of medal — and money — winners.

Under the Singapore National Olympic Council’s Multi-Million Dollar Awards Progamme, cash rewards from ToteBoard and Singapore Pools are distributed to medal winners at Olympic, Asian, Commonwealth and SEA Games levels.

I honestly don’t know of any other country that offers such rich reward for sporting accomplishments across so many levels.

And let’s not beat about the bush: it is no wonder why the majority of foreign-born athletes flock to our shores and scramble to represent Singapore.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hollow victory at best. I nearly fell of my chair that they lost the table tennis double to true blue ethnic Indians.

It does paint an interesting picture.

Why not invest all that money on foreign coaches and facilities. I remember South Koreans became a Hockey nations with medal contendars within a short span of time and they were all locals. Its not even considered a sport in that country.

Tristan

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't mind if local sportspeople win OUR money, but I do take issue with Chinamen and women laughing the way to the bank with OUR money. I mean, just look at the table tennis China B team currently playing under the "Singapore" club. Do you really believe any of them have Singapore at heart? After their time and winnings, they will simply pat their backside and say "thanks" and fark off back to the land of their origin.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is a classic case of poor policy formulation. Singaporean have clearly indicated that these are merely mercenaries and there is no pride involved. I wonder how long they are going keep this up.

I don't mind if local sportspeople win OUR money, but I do take issue with Chinamen and women laughing the way to the bank with OUR money. I mean, just look at the table tennis China B team currently playing under the "Singapore" club. Do you really believe any of them have Singapore at heart? After their time and winnings, they will simply pat their backside and say "thanks" and fark off back to the land of their origin.

jw5

Loyal
The purpose of all these is to give the leaders something to show off to their foreign counterparts.
And for the second tier of leaders to get their share of glory and love from the leaders and possibly build their own little empire.

Q: How does it help or affect the ordinary Singaporean?
A: It doesn't.

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Singapore is consider China Team sent to CWG. Really shame without the PRC coverted citizen can hardly get any Gold medal.

myo539

Alfrescian
Loyal
Is the Multi-Million Dollar Awards scheme fair for all?

I honestly don’t know of any other country that offers such rich reward for sporting accomplishments across so many levels.

And let’s not beat about the bush: it is no wonder why the majority of foreign-born athletes flock to our shores and scramble to represent Singapore.

There is nothing fair or unfair about rewarding the players for their accomplishments. They had to fight hard against world champions. Their rewards were not given on a platters - but through their skills, training and opportunities given. Some have fallen by the wayside. If there is a Singapore-born champion such as swimmer Ang Piong Siong or bowler Jasmine Yeong, they would surely represent Singapore and be similarly rewarded if they succeed.

Never heard of rich rewards for sports? You don't have to prick your ears, nor open your eyes to see far; sportsmen like that soccer kid Rodney or coloured- golfer Tiger Wood have private companies crawling at their feet to sponsor and pay them by the millions.

Singapore sportsmen are not so lucky; few private companies are willing to pay them by the thousands - except GLC-linked organisations such as Singapore Pools or NTUC with a handful companies like Coca Cola and Tiger Beer. SNO Council’s Multi-Million Dollar Awards Progamme perhaps is the only incentive that gives players a substantial reward. The rest gives kacang.

Which do you want? Pride (or a lack of it) like wealthy Brunei without a medal or name, or glorious medals with the Singapore flag flying and the National Anthem playing? Nevermind the foreign-born players may have the money, but Singapore got the name and the glory.

Remember the Wiseman MM Lee said : Nothing is for free.

Footnote : How come some US or Australian table tennis players are ethnic Chinese - and not angmoh? Are they born in North Bridge (San Franciso) or Haymarket (Sydney)?
Look All Chinese players in angmoh country : http://www.tabletennis.org.nz/

myo539

Alfrescian
Loyal
jw5;585996 Q: How does it help or affect the ordinary Singaporean? A: It doesn't.[/QUOTE said:
Really? You didn't see the Singapore flag being lifted nor hear the Majulah Singapura being played? Where were you?

I ordinary Singaporean felt proud of the occasion - and the players and the country.

Well done! Till the next game when our native Singaporeans can put their heart and soul into the training and the game. Nevermind, it could be bowling, shooting, badminton, gymnastic - but never soccer!

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I screw Siow Tien and when at orgasm ....

I shout Stand Up Stand Up for Singapore !!!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
n b4 dat, u muz b singing ...

<embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/IUzAjkj3rH8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed>

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
You need to brush up on your comprehension. The issue is not the reward which is always welcomed. Its mercenaries representing the country. Is something that we should be proud of.

Your neighbour won the basketball championship and your son wants to put the trophy in your house. Let hear your arguments which I suppose would go like this
- my son is hopeless but I need to impress others
- i paid my neighbour handsomely
- my needs to concentrate on his studies and my neighbour needs the money

There is nothing fair or unfair about rewarding the players for their accomplishments.

Equalisation

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You need to brush up on your comprehension. The issue is not the reward which is always welcomed. Its mercenaries representing the country. Is something that we should be proud of.

Your neighbour won the basketball championship and your son wants to put the trophy in your house. Let hear your arguments which I suppose would go like this
- my son is hopeless but I need to impress others
- i paid my neighbour handsomely
- my needs to concentrate on his studies and my neighbour needs the money

BRILLIANT ....to say the least ....:biggrin:

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

The fact of the matter is that there should have been no prize money for this event. The commonwealth games is at best a second tier event. The 2 premier events in the world are the summer Olympics and the World Cup. The superbowl is up there with them, but we are not eligible for that. In the realm of the Olympics, we are pathetic. These morons being paid all these money are zeros when they go up against real competition. In the WC, we are worse than pathetic. The commonwealth game is I believe even below the WInter Olympics and the basketball world championships, UEFA Euro football, and baseball world series. I would put in on the same level as the Pan American games, maybe the Masters Golf tournament, and maybe the Stanley Cup. i.e., its a 3rd tier tournament at best. For that, they are paid this kind of money? Bullshit.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Really? You didn't see the Singapore flag being lifted nor hear the Majulah Singapura being played? Where were you?

I ordinary Singaporean felt proud of the occasion - and the players and the country.

Well done! Till the next game when our native Singaporeans can put their heart and soul into the training and the game. Nevermind, it could be bowling, shooting, badminton, gymnastic - but never soccer!

Well, since its the S'pore taxpayers that paid for the facilities for them to train, and paid for the coaches, shouldn't they pay back all of these expenses too from their prize money? See, your logic is as shit as your brains.